http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 07:07:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Shadowrun Impressions  (Read 8391 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2007, 03:59:47 PM »

IGN's review is out.  6.8.  I do agree with their comment at the start of the summary:
A title needs a well-designed core of gameplay to be a success - we're not disputing that. But it's the extras and unlockables that keep people around. Shadowrun has no visible persistent statistics, no way to modify character models, nothing, outside of Achievements, to serve as reward. As gamers, it's rewards we crave, be it of the narrative variety, in-game items, new options or modes, or something entirely different. Shadowrun completely ducks away from the gaming tenet that sometimes the utterly superfluous can be the most necessary. Since this game's rewards are restricted to and reset after every match, there lacks that overarching sense of accomplishment that should be associated with a game designed to be played for endless hours.

I could see this being an issue for me, longevity-wise.  Probably my biggest problem with the game.  However, they go on to complain about the "poor art style," and I just don't see that at all.  It may not be as dazzling as Gears or GRAW 2, but I wouldn't describe it as poor at all.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2007, 07:05:16 PM »

I'll be grabbing this tonight.  I'll only be on from like 6p-8p cent unfortunately, I'll be back on at midnite'ish if others are around.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 05, 2007, 07:50:10 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 02, 2007, 04:40:43 PM

I wouldn't know Shadowrun from Cannonball Run so the use of the license means nothing to me.

icon_biggrin icon_lol icon_biggrin

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
unbreakable
« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2007, 10:48:54 PM »

Actually, I used to play Shadowrun, and I have to say this use of the license in no way offends me.  Seems like a pretty cool use of it, in fact.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2007, 12:40:19 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on June 05, 2007, 10:48:54 PM

Actually, I used to play Shadowrun, and I have to say this use of the license in no way offends me.  Seems like a pretty cool use of it, in fact.

I wasn't trying to disparage the Shadowrun license.  I was just trying to say that whether or not the game makes good use of the license doesn't factor into my opinion of the game.  Alot of reviewers seem to be docking points because it doesn't make use of the license very well.   For instance I have no idea if there is such a thing as a tree of life or teleportation in the Shadowrun universe, but they sure do add some interesting strategies to the game.  One other thing about the game I have noticed is that it is very well balanced.  All of the abilities and races have merit, yet everything has a counter so nothing is overpowered.  Also the bots play pretty well at the levels above medium.  They communicate and use ability combinations skillfully.

I would highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys team based shooters.

....when it drops to $39.99.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 12:42:12 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2007, 01:03:32 AM »

For me, the sweet spot is around $25 for me to buy this game.  I might have rented the game for a 4 player game night at my place, but the devs didn't bother to put in split screen, so they aren't getting my money.

Honestly, I've been playing Half-Life mods that have more content.

It's likely that by the time I buy the game for $25 or less, it'll have been abandoned by most players for other online games released.
unbreakable
« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2007, 03:57:54 AM »

One thing I found very interesting, and a good use of the Shadowrun concept, was how you trade off your capacity to use magic with the more tech implants you use.  Whenever you created a character in the PnP game, that was a major consideration as well.

I also thought the property was a pretty good fit for a CounterStrike kind of game, especially when I read about how it was being implimented.

Personally, I think most of the criticism doesn't stem so much from the usage of the license so much as it does from a wish that it would be used for an RPG game instead.  Also, the attitude does kind of a long-term diservice to the license.  After all, if the Shadowrun property gets some notoriety behind it (like if this game is successful), then that could actually lead to it having enough of a perceived mindshare for a future RPG game to be more than just a niche title.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 06, 2007, 06:10:52 AM »

apparently the demo is up on marketplace tomorrow,so i will definetly give it a go

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2007, 12:01:18 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on June 06, 2007, 03:57:54 AM

After all, if the Shadowrun property gets some notoriety behind it (like if this game is successful), then that could actually lead to it having enough of a perceived mindshare for a future RPG game to be more than just a niche title.

I've never bought that argument.  If Shadowrun the Counterstrike Clone is a huge success then that only makes it more likely for them to focus their efforts on Shadowrun 2 in the same vein. 

And it's not like MS needed to build up the name first- they are a first party publisher with enormous resources.  They could have pushed out very broad awareness of a Shadowrun RPG if that's the direction they decided to pursue from the get go.  They've managed to get plenty of publicity for new RPG IPs like Fable, Mass Effect, and Blue Dragon.  The only one they stumbled with was Sudeki. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2007, 12:05:55 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 06, 2007, 12:01:18 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on June 06, 2007, 03:57:54 AM

After all, if the Shadowrun property gets some notoriety behind it (like if this game is successful), then that could actually lead to it having enough of a perceived mindshare for a future RPG game to be more than just a niche title.

I've never bought that argument.  If Shadowrun the Counterstrike Clone is a huge success then that only makes it more likely for them to focus their efforts on Shadowrun 2 in the same vein. 

And it's not like MS needed to build up the name first- they are a first party publisher with enormous resources.  They could have pushed out very broad awareness of a Shadowrun RPG if that's the direction they decided to pursue from the get go.  They've managed to get plenty of publicity for new RPG IPs like Fable, Mass Effect, and Blue Dragon.  The only one they stumbled with was Sudeki. 

As kind of a side note, the pre-marketing on Sudeki was still pretty high.  Sales may not have been great, but they tried.  We assume Blue Dragon and Mass Effect will sell big, but we don't know.  I would say Enchanted Arms was a bigger stumble, but I'm not sure what those sales were like.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 06, 2007, 12:46:08 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 06, 2007, 12:05:55 PM

As kind of a side note, the pre-marketing on Sudeki was still pretty high.  Sales may not have been great, but they tried.  We assume Blue Dragon and Mass Effect will sell big, but we don't know.  I would say Enchanted Arms was a bigger stumble, but I'm not sure what those sales were like.

I think Mass Effect will do well but if the September date is true then I think MS may have just hurt it by releasing so close to Halo 3 and right after Blue Dragon (there is some overlap in the audience for Western and Eastern RPGs) and Bioshock (lots of RPG fans also like SS2 and Deus Ex so I expect Bioshock to appeal to them as well).  Still, I expect first month sales of 400k or more and will be shocked if it doesn't end up with more than a million lifetime so I don't see it ending up as niche in any way. 

Blue Dragon is iffier but I think that has to do with the actual customer base- how big is the JRPG market for existing 360 owners?  That said, I give MS huge credit for publicity and awareness on the game.  People may not be interested in it when it comes out but at least they'll know about it. 

Enchanted Arms doesn't count against MS IMO- it was only MS published in Japan and honestly MS's Japanese division seems completely incompetent.  Over here Ubi published it. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: