http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 08:36:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Shadowrun Impressions  (Read 8309 times)
Clanwolfer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2007, 08:13:04 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 31, 2007, 08:09:40 PM

Quote from: hepcat on May 31, 2007, 06:30:07 PM

from reading the official FAQ, it sounds like they've instituted some in-game techniques that actually help reduce the "twitch gameplay" factor.   is this actually the case?

One preview I read basically said that your vision would blur if you turned too fast. Basically keeping the mouse users from being able to turn MUCH faster and more accurately than the 360 controller.

I haven't noticed a blur (but then, I don't quick-turn like some crazy CS players); really, the aim bloom is the worst of it.

I also think perhaps 360 users have an advantage when in katana battles; those are tougher on the PC controls than I would have thought (mouse actually moves the aim a little too fast).

Also, I maintain that when good teams play each other, their use of magic/tech is going to play more of a factor than their twitch skills.  The sniper rifle isn't overpowered like in some games, and the aim bloom actually gives us lesser-skilled gamers a moment to dash across open areas without getting mowed down, especially with the help of Teleport or Smoke (not a grenade, you actually become a smoke-based entity).

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2007, 11:09:20 PM »

What exactly is the 'aim bloom' anyway?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2007, 11:20:18 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 31, 2007, 11:09:20 PM

What exactly is the 'aim bloom' anyway?

Think the way the original Rainbow Six worked.  Depending on weapon, stance, and movement, your crosshairs 'bloom' outwards, and more so as you fire.  Essentially, it just gives you a circle within which your shots will fall, rather than a crosshair that gives a precise location.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2007, 04:38:28 AM »

Got feedback from a friend who I play GOW a lot with. He has it and LOVES it.

He recommend I rent it given the price.

Man WHERE ARE THE REVIEWS!?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2007, 06:31:46 AM »

Quote from: ATB on June 01, 2007, 04:38:28 AM

Here's what I'm thinking.  Since it's multiplayer only, they may be waiting until they can experience it full on with others (instead of just LANning within the office) before writing up the review.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2007, 07:00:50 AM »

According to the official forums, review copies were delayed because of some last minute manufacturing minutia.  Review copies apparently didn't start arriving until last Saturday at the earliest.  What a screw up on someone's part.  This kind of delay isn't supposed to happen outside of MMOs!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2007, 11:33:07 AM »

I dreamed I bought this game last night.  Two copies. At full price. Yes. Yes it was a nightmare.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2007, 02:16:04 PM »

Made it through the first 3 tutorials last night after picking this one up on the way home (traded in GoW as i finished the SP portion of it and i suck so badly at the mp  icon_wink).

I'm not far enough into the game to give any informed opinions on it, but so far I'm diggin' the tactical aspects that the tech and magic powers bring to the table.  I love using the tree of life as both a healing tool AND cover during a firefight.  I love finding those out of the way spots using glider and teleport so that i can then switch on the enhanced vision, find my target(s), and then attack.  And I really like the gameplay options that Strangle and Gust open up (in a building with corridors you have to be nuts not to pack Strangle.  I love throwing up a "crystal field" with it then waiting for idiotic bots to get caught in it while trying to advance...although I'm sure that won't be the case with real players).

I do wish they'd instituted some type of cover mechanism a la Rainbow Six or GoW.  I also wish that the character animations were a bit more fluid (right now when someone jumps, they all assume the same stance for the duration.  Looks kind of goofy.).

My initial thoughts are that I need more gametime  icon_smile.  But I also truly feel that if they'd brought this to market with a pricetag of about 29.99 or 39.99, it would've been a no-brainer.  However, if they consistantly add maps and other content to the game via DLC (FREE DLC, i might add, for anything less than a full expansion) than that will take a bit of the edge off the price point they currently have.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2007, 02:48:12 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 01, 2007, 02:16:04 PM

However, if they consistantly add maps and other content to the game via DLC (FREE DLC, i might add, for anything less than a full expansion) than that will take a bit of the edge off the price point they currently have.

Well the whole team was nuked so this isn't likely frown
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2007, 02:49:43 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 01, 2007, 02:48:12 PM

However, if they consistantly add maps and other content to the game via DLC (FREE DLC, i might add, for anything less than a full expansion) than that will take a bit of the edge off the price point they currently have.

WHAT??!???!

i didn't know that!  man, that sucks!  have they turned it over to another team of developers for support, or is it just an orphan without a home now?

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2007, 02:51:17 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 01, 2007, 02:49:43 PM

WHAT??!???!

i didn't know that!  man, that sucks!  have they turned it over to another team of developers for support, or is it just an orphan without a home now?

Kill't as far as I've heard from 1up.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2007, 02:57:39 PM »

Uh - rumors from disgruntled employees aren't always true.  FASA is certainly still around today.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2007, 03:00:43 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 01, 2007, 02:51:17 PM

WHAT??!???!

I thought I saw that posted here but I guess I was mixing up the sites.  That's another factor in my decision not to buy it- post-release support seems kind of questionable.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2007, 03:01:31 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 01, 2007, 02:51:17 PM

WHAT??!???!

Seems kind of dubious.  They still have a demo to put out, after all, and word from the devs (at least originally) is that there was going to be at least one patch to clear up any post-release issues.

Edit:  Oh, and there was apparently a 'Play the Devs' event last night and I've heard nothing about a mass axing out of that, either.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2007, 03:03:19 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on June 01, 2007, 02:57:39 PM

Uh - rumors from disgruntled employees aren't always true.  FASA is certainly still around today.

Fasa is around. But the team that did shadowrun is finito
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2007, 03:18:53 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 01, 2007, 03:03:19 PM

I really hope FASA stays around. A 360 Crimson Skies game would make me so absurdly happy. Not to mention MechAssault was a surprisingly good game.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2007, 04:55:19 PM »

I'm sure you have better information than me.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2007, 05:11:44 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on June 01, 2007, 04:55:19 PM

I'm sure you have better information than me.

but you're the man, and the man is always trying to keep the brother down!

Because I can,
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2007, 05:52:25 PM »

Last night me and a few friends played it 2on2 humans and filled the other slots with bots. It was fun very fun. we then went 4human vs 4bots. I have never had my ass handed to me so royally like I did last night. This was on normal setting, I cant count how many times I was shooting at the wall or empty space. Accuracy would have been in the negatives if it was scored. One minute your closing in on the enemy and the next he's gone.  The AI also plays smart, they would post a tank (troll) in the entrance along with a tree of life. I guess here knowing the landscape will allow me teleport upwards or downwards to get to the flag.

The game is a blast and the single player vs bots is alot of fun too. I can say anyone on the fence about this game needs to hop on over it worth it. Plus its Friday. We got games tonight.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2007, 12:55:24 AM »

It says there's split screen multiplayer, if so, how many players at once (2 or 4?) and what kind of games can be played?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 12:57:16 AM by Turtle » Logged
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2007, 03:01:29 AM »

Yeah... I think enough people have picked this up that I'm going to get a copy once I return to my normal stomping grounds.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2007, 05:42:04 AM »

Well, no split screen multiplayer.  Not for me.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2007, 06:15:21 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 02, 2007, 05:42:04 AM

Well, no split screen multiplayer.  Not for me.

I thought they said that they'd be patching this in for the first update somewhere...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2007, 11:18:55 AM »

getting my copy tomorrow morning.....

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2007, 11:25:02 AM »

Ugh, we had 14 in stock at our store...but the PPT stuck them somewhere inside a box.  Hopefully they will be on the floor tomorrow morning when I come in.  (Speaking of the PC version BTW). biggrin

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2007, 01:32:47 PM »

Just noticed Gamespot's review. Quick summary:

This multiplayer-only shooter does absolutely nothing with the Shadowrun name, and its unique strengths are offset by a lack of variety.

The Good: Unique ability system sets the game apart from other shooters; lets vista and 360 users play on the same servers; good-looking effects.

The Bad: Bad and missing animation makes the game look unfinished; not enough maps to stay interesting for long; does absolutely nothing with the Shadowrun license.

Let me say this again - where's my Shadowrun RPG?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2007, 02:10:22 PM »

wow, the forum effect seems to be revving up for this one.  Luckily I won't have the spare cash to end up with buyers regret  icon_neutral

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2007, 02:38:23 PM »

Gamespot drops a 6.8 and Eurogamer (one of the few sites I respect) drops a 6? No thanks, no forum effect in the world is going to convince me at this point.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2007, 03:54:28 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 02, 2007, 02:38:23 PM

Gamespot drops a 6.8 and Eurogamer (one of the few sites I respect) drops a 6? No thanks, no forum effect in the world is going to convince me at this point.

In fairness, though, the Gamespot review seems to have a big problem with improper license use (not letting go, in other words), ending the review with this line:
Perhaps the most telling aspect of Shadowrun comes from WizKids, the maker of the other Shadowrun stuff. When the game was first unveiled last year, it alerted Shadowrun fans that this might not be for them by posting "fair warning, however: Microsoft rewrote the timeline and setting for this game, so it is not in continuity with the tabletop RPG. It may be more accurately described as a game loosely based on Shadowrun."

The Eurogamer review seems more balanced, but it does seem to boil to the game seeming to be overpriced for what you get.  He even ends with:
And while I'm happy I played it, for this price, I probably wouldn't.

But the forum consensus seems to be that the game is a load of fun despite the limited number of maps.  With a game like this, by the time the price comes down to $30, you'll be jumping into a game filled with "experts" who know the nuances of character, tech and map. Is it worth the wait?  Maybe.  I have to say, though, that what should give this game longevity is the incredible balance of play styles they've set up.  There are so many options to choose from, and what the other team chooses and what your team needs will affect what you choose.  Even so, once you think you've got a character down, you'll find a situation where that's proven wrong and you'll have to rethink your standard choices.  That already happened to me.  I was very happy going in as a troll for most of my games, but then I was the focus of attack too often, so I switched to the elf.  Now I'm giving the human a shot.  Or maybe the dwarf.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2007, 04:21:17 PM »

Well, I said I wouldn't buy it for more than $40 and when I went to Circuit City to get Forza 2, they were out of the $20 games and so they gave me $20 off any 360 game I wanted.  That brings Shadowrun's price tag down to $40 from $60 and so I pulled the trigger.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2007, 04:40:43 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 02, 2007, 04:21:17 PM

Well, I said I wouldn't buy it for more than $40 and when I went to Circuit City to get Forza 2, they were out of the $20 games and so they gave me $20 off any 360 game I wanted.  That brings Shadowrun's price tag down to $40 from $60 and so I pulled the trigger.

My Circuit City was also out of Forza 2 so I picked this up along with a free copy of Rockstar's Table Tennis. So I (kind of) feel like I got it for $39.99. I wouldn't know Shadowrun from Cannonball Run so the use of the license means nothing to me. It seems to be a way to break into the counterstrike type of round-based multiplayer without the newb-unfriendly establishment. Everyone is still learning how the game works. While I am enjoying the game so far, $59.99 does seem to be too much for what this game delivers. I still think they should have gone the same route Sony is taking with Warhawk and made it a downloadable title.  If they give away some maps for free over the next couple of months that would help too.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2007, 04:48:07 PM »

I bought it but I am still hesitant to open it......still afraid its gonna be a stinker.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2007, 08:16:58 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 02, 2007, 04:40:43 PM

If they give away some maps for free over the next couple of months that would help too.

Sadly, they will probably charge for them.

unbreakable
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2007, 04:39:17 PM »

$60?  Wow.  The only game I paid that much for was NWN (and NWN2), and I ended up regretting not waiting.  It's not so much that I didn't like the games, but that I didn't have time to play them right away, and once I did the price had dropped to a more reasonable point.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2007, 12:31:04 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on June 03, 2007, 04:39:17 PM

$60?  Wow.  The only game I paid that much for was NWN (and NWN2), and I ended up regretting not waiting.  It's not so much that I didn't like the games, but that I didn't have time to play them right away, and once I did the price had dropped to a more reasonable point.

Almost all 360 and PS3 games are $60 when released.  It is very few that are not (Rockstar's Table Tennis was one that was released cheap).

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2007, 03:04:14 PM »

I think unbreakable is confusing the 360 version with the PC version in terms of price. 

I put in some more time this weekend with it and I've come to the conclusion that it's just not worth 60 bucks.  if they'd released this at 29.99 it would've been okay, but 60 is way too much for what you get.  I may trade this one in before it loses any value at GS, then pick it up when it hits the 20 buck bin. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 04:13:43 PM by hepcat » Logged

unbreakable
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2007, 03:27:02 PM »

Yeah, I'm viewing the world through PC-colored glasses  icon_lol

Did anyone get it for the PC?  I saw one review which was critical of the game being 'dumbed down' for the PC, but after hearing about how the aiming works, it sounds more like Day of Defeat, which went in that direction more to push a realistic system (so no more headshots while running and jumping).  And while I wasn't entirely happy with DoD, I was more ticked off at the project's proclivity for dumping all their maps every point release.  I really liked some of their old maps  mad

But since it's Vista-only, I won't be grabbing it too soon.  I need to see if I can hit up Microsoft for a Vista freebie!
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2007, 12:25:07 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 01, 2007, 04:38:28 AM

I'm working on mine right now.  Might need one more night of play...but its the best FPS I've played in awhile called Shadowrun, that uses almost no Shadowrun story/gimmicks. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2007, 12:34:17 PM »

I like the game a lot...but it didn't need to be called Shadowrun.  I'm going to sit and discuss this with Ron later before I print my review, and I don't know how much poor setting/license use is going to affect my score, but just based on the blurbs from the Gamespot review, I agree totally.  The only term I have foun in the game that is even remotely like its Shadowrun counterpart is the smartlink. (Edit: Oh yeah, Essence and Wired Reflexes are used. Thanks Aahz.)  I don't use magic much in the SR universe, but none of the spells I use or see used frequently by the bots (Tree, Smoke, Entangle, Gust, Res) have any link to SR counterparts.  Someone decided to see how the SR name would do out there, but didn't want to invest the time for a full RPG or huge game.

Okay, complaining about the license aside, I am having fun with this game.  I'd like to get together with forumites tonight for some gaming or a botmatch.  I'll start up a thread in the MP forum if there isn't any.  I've been enjoying playing as an elf, using smartlink, gust, enhanced vision, a rifle, and an smg.  This puts me in a defensive position, and lets me do some recon without needing a tree.  I use Gust because bots really like Smoke once they've got some money under their belts.  I think I'm going to try the dwarven summoner/caster once I've got my elf down pat.  This is a game where I think a large chunk of players are going to play elf simply for the regeneration abilities.  (Someone got ork in my elf bloodline.. :/,  Okay, sorry, I said I'd stop complaining)  My only issue is that I've not been able to connect to any matches online.  I'd like to see if the party system fixes this.  More notes later.  Possibly a GT review in the next couple of days.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 12:42:57 PM by Dreamshadow » Logged

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2007, 12:34:25 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 01, 2007, 03:18:53 PM

I really hope FASA stays around. A 360 Crimson Skies game would make me so absurdly happy. Not to mention MechAssault was a surprisingly good game.

From what I understand, the devs that did Crimson Skies split from FASA and formed their own studio. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: