http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 09:05:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Red Faction: Guerrilla Impressions  (Read 16586 times)
naednek
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 12, 2009, 05:39:30 PM »

i ended up doing some of those high value targets and a mission finally popped up, gotta kill those edf fighters.  Man it's hard.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 12, 2009, 06:02:41 PM »

Yeah, if you don't drop the EDF control of an area to 0, the last mission won't pop up, and doing all the story missions won't always drop control as much as you need.

Have you upgraded the nano rifle's power? With an upgraded rifle, it only takes two shots to kill a flyer.  I wound up coming at the airfield from behind, put my back against a wall, and just took out the flyers with the rifle as they came over.  Doing it that way was actually braindead easy.  The flyers go down even faster if you can peg one of their stableizers or the tail.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 12, 2009, 06:08:34 PM »

oh, i thought they wanted me to detonate them with bombs.  I get to about the 3rd one then all havoc breaks loose
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 12, 2009, 06:22:35 PM »

You know, I'm not sure what was supposed to go on in that mission.  I think the airfield was a medium importance target, so just before I took the mission, I'd gone in and blew things up in there.  Then I went and took the mission, found out it was for the airfield, and decided to go in the back (the way I'd gone before) rather than fighting through the EDF base along the main road.  When I got to the trail that was the back way in, flyers started appearing, and when I took them down, I got 1/5 Flyers Destroyed, 2/5 Flyers Destroyed and so forth.  I never set a single bomb inside the airfield.  It was kind of strange, but I wasn't asking too many questions.  Maybe since I'd already taken out the mission targets, it just automatically went to the second leg of the mission.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 12, 2009, 09:12:39 PM »

Beat this today and holy crap - screw that final mission.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 14, 2009, 06:08:40 AM »

I just got to the Badlands zone, so far I'm actually on the borderline of loving the game. I'm so appreciative of how polished it is, plus the combat is excellent and has a very attractive movie feeling to it somehow. I've been so jaded by games with crummy graphics and loads of bugs that when a stable game comes around I'm always surprised, which is sad when I think about it. Anyhow, planning to play all the way through this bad boy, forget about waiting over a month for the PC version.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 17, 2009, 02:25:27 PM »

Demons of the Badland preview (SPOILER in first paragraph)  the demo master challenge with the vehicle sounds insane.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 07:36:45 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 17, 2009, 06:59:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 17, 2009, 02:25:27 PM

Demons of the Badland preview.  the demo master challenge with the vehicle sounds insane.

FUUUUCK! That DLC news had a major spoiler, I saw the warning but kept reading not realizing how major it was going to be. No good, no good  icon_mad

Sean Lama
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 17, 2009, 07:20:17 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 17, 2009, 06:59:05 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 17, 2009, 02:25:27 PM

Demons of the Badland preview.  the demo master challenge with the vehicle sounds insane.

FUUUUCK! That DLC news had a major spoiler, I saw the warning but kept reading not realizing how major it was going to be. No good, no good  icon_mad

yeah me too
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 17, 2009, 07:39:40 PM »

Sorry guys, I skimmed over the first paragraph to get to the DLC stuff and missed the spoiler.

Because I can,
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 17, 2009, 10:20:50 PM »

So I picked this up this week and have been having fun with it.  The difficulty really ramps up once you get to Dust (which can be really frustrating), as your weapons might not be up to snuff and the sneak tactics which worked in Parker don't work in Dust, so if you've been a sneaker - get over it and drive a dump truck through a building or three.

One really cool thing I saw - I was hanging out, minding my own business (ok, I was scouting an EDF building to bring it down around their stinking ears), when an EDF cop car drove up and dumped a dead colonist out, and then drove off.  How immersive is that?

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 20, 2009, 02:08:33 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on July 17, 2009, 10:20:50 PM

One really cool thing I saw - I was hanging out, minding my own business (ok, I was scouting an EDF building to bring it down around their stinking ears), when an EDF cop car drove up and dumped a dead colonist out, and then drove off.  How immersive is that?

That's awesome... I'm almost done with the game and I've never seen that. I think they did an excellent job with the interaction between EDF troops and colonists.

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 20, 2009, 09:43:38 PM »

The last zone kinda sucks, I preferred the more wide-open space of the previous zones. Also, the non-story missions seem to be a major pain in the ass now. I've failed a particular transportation mission like 5 times, the last 3 times I failed by less than a 10th of a second... And it's a 3 minute run!!  icon_confused

Sean Lama
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 20, 2009, 09:56:03 PM »

I'm on the last mission, hoping to beat it tonight or tomorrow.  The game grew on me.  Got much better with the jet pack.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 21, 2009, 03:23:48 AM »

And we're done.  Fun game.  Thought it kinda dragged a little towards the middle, wished there were a little more variety in the side missions, but over all, I enjoyed it.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 21, 2009, 05:02:06 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 20, 2009, 09:43:38 PM

The last zone kinda sucks, I preferred the more wide-open space of the previous zones. Also, the non-story missions seem to be a major pain in the ass now. I've failed a particular transportation mission like 5 times, the last 3 times I failed by less than a 10th of a second... And it's a 3 minute run!!  icon_confused

Did you find the long-haul transport mission that has a time limit of 9 or 10 minutes? I think I finished that with ten seconds to spare.  I was pretty nervous I wasn't going to make it toward the end.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 21, 2009, 06:05:19 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on July 21, 2009, 05:02:06 AM

Quote from: Ridah on July 20, 2009, 09:43:38 PM

Did you find the long-haul transport mission that has a time limit of 9 or 10 minutes? I think I finished that with ten seconds to spare.  I was pretty nervous I wasn't going to make it toward the end.

Nope, I don't think I would even bother trying that one...

Sean Lama
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 21, 2009, 01:13:39 PM »

It was really damn fun, but then again, I love point to point racing.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 21, 2009, 11:56:02 PM »

Finished, exactly 15 hours of play time. I didn't finish all the guerilla missions but I did most of them. It's great that the unfinished ones open up again after you finish the game, as well as the difficulty increasing. I just might clear the rest of the missions.

Excellent game overall: 8/10 from me.

Sean Lama
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 23, 2009, 05:21:40 PM »

Finally got this and started playing...it's fun as advertised.  I love blowing stuff up for sure.  One question, I got a MOAB and used it...is it gone for good now?
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 23, 2009, 05:49:44 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 23, 2009, 05:21:40 PM

Finally got this and started playing...it's fun as advertised.  I love blowing stuff up for sure.  One question, I got a MOAB and used it...is it gone for good now?

I believe so. Hope you have a saved game to back to!

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 23, 2009, 05:57:31 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on July 23, 2009, 05:49:44 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on July 23, 2009, 05:21:40 PM

I believe so. Hope you have a saved game to back to!

Sadly no frown  Ah well, I will know for the next time.  Thanks!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 23, 2009, 06:11:27 PM »

Because the MOAB is nifty and I want to share, here's what the U.S. military uses:  Future Weapons

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 24, 2009, 02:26:02 AM »

Hey guys I got to Bad Lands, bought an upgrade called Nano Forge and my reticle disappeared...is that normal?
EDIT:  I reloaded a saved game and it's back now...weird.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:36:47 AM by leo8877 » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 26, 2009, 06:47:01 PM »

Having quite a lot of fun with this - in the middle of liberating the Badlands right now. I found one really strange glitch. I was carrying out a hostage rescue in Dust and grabbed an EDF APC to get out of there. I hit something and suddenly the vehicle started bouncing all over the place. Sort of like the GTAIV swing set glitch if you've ever seen that, but not as strong, and also the vehicle kept bouncing when it hit the ground. It took quite a while before I actually had control of the car again. It happened to me a couple of times (I wound up failing because of it and had to retry) so it must have been a specific part of a building or crate that I was hitting.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 31, 2009, 11:46:42 AM »

1Up has an article discussing the future of the game/series.  It sounds like they not only plan on several DLCs, but a sequel -

Frankly, I think on the next generation of Red Faction Guerilla we need to do a better job of creating day one demand.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 01, 2009, 04:53:33 PM »

I'm hoping for a sequel, originally I was planning to revisit the game when the DLC content was released but I think I'm actually finished and won't be going back.

Sean Lama
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: August 02, 2009, 04:13:31 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 31, 2009, 11:46:42 AM

1Up has an article discussing the future of the game/series.  It sounds like they not only plan on several DLCs, but a sequel -

Frankly, I think on the next generation of Red Faction Guerilla we need to do a better job of creating day one demand.

I misread that article the first time.  I thought he was saying that adding DLC drives additional sales of the original game which seemed silly.  However, he was really saying that DLC keeps people from trading in the game and playing longer.  That makes more sense.

I also want to give big kudos for breaking up the DLC into single player, wrecking crew, and multiplayer packs so the consumer can get just the content they want.  Of course, that assumes all the packs are high quality and priced correctly. slywink

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 13, 2009, 04:50:17 PM »

Red Faction: Guerrilla - Demons of the Badlands Game Add-on is now available.

Content: Red Faction: Guerrilla - Demons of the Badlands
Price: 800 Microsoft Points
Availability: Not available in Japan
Dash Text: [ESRB: M (Mature) BLOOD,STRONG LANGUAGE,VIOLENCE] Break free and experience the all new single player game in this prequel chapter of the Red Faction universe. Mariner Valley, the once peaceful home of the Marauder people, has been torched and defiled by the EDF. The Marauders demand vengeance and Samanya leads the revolt. Set several years before the arrival of Alec Mason on Mars, take control of Samanya to explore the Mariner Valley outside of Tharsis. Exact your revenge with 7 all new weapons including the Spiker machine gun and Marauder Missilepod, and 3 new vehicles including the Punisher walker. Perfect your guerrilla tactics with 11 new actions including raids and demolitions. Show off your skills with 10 new unlockable achievements. Take control and lead the Marauder revolution. There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

Seven new weapons, but I never used all the ones from the base game. Eleven new actions sound interesting. Might have to wait on reviews to see how deep the content goes.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 13, 2009, 05:22:57 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 13, 2009, 04:50:17 PM

Red Faction: Guerrilla - Demons of the Badlands Game Add-on is now available.

Content: Red Faction: Guerrilla - Demons of the Badlands
Price: 800 Microsoft Points
Availability: Not available in Japan
Dash Text: [ESRB: M (Mature) BLOOD,STRONG LANGUAGE,VIOLENCE] Break free and experience the all new single player game in this prequel chapter of the Red Faction universe. Mariner Valley, the once peaceful home of the Marauder people, has been torched and defiled by the EDF. The Marauders demand vengeance and Samanya leads the revolt. Set several years before the arrival of Alec Mason on Mars, take control of Samanya to explore the Mariner Valley outside of Tharsis. Exact your revenge with 7 all new weapons including the Spiker machine gun and Marauder Missilepod, and 3 new vehicles including the Punisher walker. Perfect your guerrilla tactics with 11 new actions including raids and demolitions. Show off your skills with 10 new unlockable achievements. Take control and lead the Marauder revolution. There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

Seven new weapons, but I never used all the ones from the base game. Eleven new actions sound interesting. Might have to wait on reviews to see how deep the content goes.

Eurogamer gave it 7/10

While it's true that Demons of the Badlands doesn't offer a great deal that wasn't already offered up in spades by Red Faction Guerrilla, as a standalone episode it actually delivers on the game's potential better than the parent game ever did. By refining the elements which made it fun, granting you all the toys and stripping away almost all of the laborious tasks, Volition has served up something more in line with what we expected in the first place. If your appetite for destruction remains unsated, it's well worth diving in - just don't expect anything too revolutionary.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 13, 2009, 05:37:21 PM »

I have an urge to play the new content... I might end up buying it afterall!

Sean Lama
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 15, 2009, 08:17:27 PM »

Couldn't resist the temptation, downloading now.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 15, 2009, 09:39:57 PM »

Does the new downloadble content contain spoilers about the main game's campaign?

A new one
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 15, 2009, 11:25:51 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 15, 2009, 09:39:57 PM

Does the new downloadble content contain spoilers about the main game's campaign?
Not about the story. You do get access (eventually) to weapons that you unlock in the main campaign, but since you also see them in the multiplayer they aren't really a surprise.

I got in about an hour of the DLC. It's somewhat similar to the main campaign's way of capturing a sector. It's set on a brand new map, and the size is larger than any one sector of the main game. Three main missions, one unlocked at the start, the others unlocked as you lower the EDF's control of the sector, just like before. There are a bunch of side missions; one that stands out is a hostage rescue where the hostages aren't all in the same location. The demolition missions are TOUGH. I've done four but there are another four where I am just clueless. I haven't counted how many total there are.

There are differences.There's no salvage to collect; you unlock advanced weapons via completing the demo missions. You don't have to worry about Morale, since there are no civilians and your fellow Marauders are happy to sacrifice themselves for the cause. There are some neat new structures begging for your destructive attention, including a bunch of structures stuck precariously on steep hillsides.

Overall I'd say it's worth it if you like the gameplay of the original single player game. I might quibble about the 800 point price, but I know they have to make their money. Certainly compared to some other 800 point DLC, this one has some real content.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 16, 2009, 12:37:53 AM »

Thanks JZ - downloading now :-)

A new one
NeutiquamErro
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 23, 2009, 03:52:18 PM »

Hey, all! I finally received membership approval and just wanted to thank you guys for being so respectful on these boards. I used to go to GameFAQs to forum-browse about my current gaming obsession, but then I found this site. It is truly a breath of fresh air, and that's because of YOU. Thanks again.

On another note, I discovered a relatively easy way to complete house arrest missions. Find one of the larger vehicles and just drive into the building.  As long as you park close to the imprisoned, all you have to do is take off their cuffs and hop back in. Badabing, badaboom. This technique also works well with high-profile targets if you load up the vehicle with remote charges first, or better yet, a MOAB.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 23, 2009, 04:25:46 PM »

I need to get back to this, maybe after I finish off Infamous and ODST. I got stuck on one of the later main missions where you have to stop waves of tanks that are coming in from all directions. I think my problem may have been that I never bought the arc thing. It seemed kind of useless at the time, but I have come to understand it's really useful in disabling tanks.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 23, 2009, 04:29:20 PM »

It's super useful in missions with difficult vehicles because it kills the entire crew, allowing you to just jack it without incident.  I wouldn't bother with the upgrade that tells friends-from-foes, but you should definitely have the basic weapon and some ammo upgrades.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 23, 2009, 04:38:06 PM »

Quote from: NeutiquamErro on September 23, 2009, 03:52:18 PM

Hey, all! I finally received membership approval and just wanted to thank you guys for being so respectful on these boards. I used to go to GameFAQs to forum-browse about my current gaming obsession, but then I found this site. It is truly a breath of fresh air, and that's because of YOU. Thanks again.

wait, members need approval?  who the hell let Teggy in then?  icon_wink

welcome to the boards!  there's only one really important rule: that underwear behind the couch is mine; don't touch it.

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 23, 2009, 04:57:17 PM »

You know, I don't think I ever really used the arc welder.  I even had it upgraded and everything.  Between the nano rifle and various missile launcher, I was usually able to take care* of everything.

*"take care of" = melt or blow up

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: