http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 12:40:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Red Faction: Guerrilla Impressions  (Read 16886 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: June 28, 2009, 05:57:57 PM »

btw, kathode, you should seriously consider licensing this geomod engine for the next fallout game.  mini nukes would be so damn cool to use if they could take out structures like this. 

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 28, 2009, 09:57:45 PM »

Quote from: Caine on June 28, 2009, 05:55:53 PM

after you do the demo mission, you will start seeing mechs show up.  one of the light Aliens-esque loader mechs shows up near an edf roadblock and a race start point (i think).  i grabbed it during a mission and used it to finish that up and then knock down the bridge.  i smashed the sections nearest the ends so edf couldn't follow me out and then proceeded to plow up the roadway and knock down supports.  by the time i was done, it looked like a massive kids construction kit after a temper tantrum and fell down in sections.  

you could also use mines and the edf against itself and remote charges to make a massive chain reaction.  i did that later on just for fun when the bridge was rebuilt.  

Yeah I googled around a bit and a lot of people said there's a walker nearby.  But I haven't seen any walkers yet outside of missions and actions so maybe I haven't done the right mission yet.  Eventually I got it once I got the nano rifle.  That was really key to taking out those support structures.  A little disappointing - half the bridge fell down, but half was left standing with 4% health.  I shot it four times with the nano rifle and it said "Bridge destroyed" but nothing else happened.  I wanted to stick around and finish it off, but my idiot guerilla friends ran directly over me when they arrived in their truck, and with the EDF bearing down and my health nearly zero, I had to high-tail it out of there.

Quote from: Caine on June 28, 2009, 05:57:57 PM

btw, kathode, you should seriously consider licensing this geomod engine for the next fallout game.  mini nukes would be so damn cool to use if they could take out structures like this.  

Ha, the destruction would be awesome for sure.  Changing engines, not so awesome smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 30, 2009, 06:57:18 PM »

the DLC is on it's way.  I really need to get back to this one.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 30, 2009, 08:38:37 PM »

I'm getting burned out.  I'm tired of doing the same missions, and I'm very tired of dying.  What makes it worse is the loading between deaths is painfully long, just about as bad as GTAIV.  Anyways I want to keep playing and hope the jetpack will change things up, but so far it's just more of the same.  I love the destruction, but there needs to be variety.  Just about everyone zone is a rehash of the previous zone, just in a different location.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 30, 2009, 09:01:55 PM »

Quote from: naednek on June 30, 2009, 08:38:37 PM

I'm getting burned out.  I'm tired of doing the same missions, and I'm very tired of dying.  What makes it worse is the loading between deaths is painfully long, just about as bad as GTAIV.  Anyways I want to keep playing and hope the jetpack will change things up, but so far it's just more of the same.  I love the destruction, but there needs to be variety.  Just about everyone zone is a rehash of the previous zone, just in a different location.

I dropped it to Casual and am having a lot more fun with it since.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 30, 2009, 11:06:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 30, 2009, 06:57:18 PM

That's great, but I hope the "single player mission arc" Volition has planned is a little more substantive than the blink-and-it's-over mission pack they released for Saints Row 2.  As much as I love Red Faction: Guerrilla -- and that's a lot -- they're going to have to offer a lot more than three quick missions and one new vehicle to earn themselves the same $10 that I could spend on the latest 5-10 hour expansion for Fallout 3.

Considering that Bethesda literally originated the "Horse Armor" meme, their continuing support for Fallout 3 has really set the standard by which all modern DLC should be judged.  Here's hoping Volition can pull off a similar transformation with some truly excellent content for their own awesome game.

-Autistic Angel
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 30, 2009, 11:17:41 PM »

I finished the storyline of RFG in 20 hours, and that included a fair bit of mucking about on side missions, so say maybe 12-15 hours of story missions.

This is a general question:  how much gameplay would you want from the expansion to justify the $10 price?  It's 1/6 the price of the game itself, so would 1/6 of the time (about 2.5 hours) be enough?  I'm not sure of the answer to that.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 30, 2009, 11:33:56 PM »

I'm quickly growing weary of Prototype (though I seem to be afflicted with the "just one more mission to see if it improves" effect) so I may return to the surface of Mars to continue the struggle for freedom sooner rather than later.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 01, 2009, 12:21:48 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 30, 2009, 11:17:41 PM

I finished the storyline of RFG in 20 hours, and that included a fair bit of mucking about on side missions, so say maybe 12-15 hours of story missions.

This is a general question:  how much gameplay would you want from the expansion to justify the $10 price?  It's 1/6 the price of the game itself, so would 1/6 of the time (about 2.5 hours) be enough?  I'm not sure of the answer to that.

3 hours for 10 bucks is more than fair imo. get out of town with that 1 hour BS from bethesda and lionhead DLC. 2 hours if it's really fun.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 01, 2009, 04:01:41 PM »

If someone were to organize an online MP session, would there be any interest?  I haven't even had time to take the plastic off my copy yet (which I feel very guilty about since Kato was so generous in sending me a copy so that I could play MP while the game is still popular), but I've certainly been anxious to give the game a try.  With home improvements, my ongoing job search, basic home upkeep, cooking responsibilities to ensure we have food for lunch and dinner every single day, and billiard obligations four nights a week, I haven't played any videogames in quite some time. 

But I'm finally thinking about reading through the game manual and checking out Guerilla's gameplay, and if there's interest I'd be more than happy to organize a Geezers Gone Guerilla evening.  But if most prefer SP then I may just wait a bit as gaming seems to have taken a back seat as of late.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: July 01, 2009, 06:26:39 PM »

This is one game that I actually have been playing the multiplayer for (when I had time to play...which was a few weeks ago).  I have Friday off so I'd probably be up for some destruction during the long weekend if I'm online.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 01, 2009, 06:31:42 PM »

I might be available Friday evening. If I am I'll look for the Guerrilla Geezers in action!

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 01, 2009, 09:33:54 PM »

I am in for some multiplayer.  I was with a group playing a week or two ago and some of the modes are a blast.  I really liked the defend and destroy mode, it is pretty intense and can definitely lead to being steam rolled, but the teamwork is a lot of fun.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: July 01, 2009, 11:00:52 PM »

Quote from: naednek on June 30, 2009, 08:38:37 PM

My very reason for not even considering this til it hits the bargain bin.  That and the fact that the demo showed me nothing.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 01, 2009, 11:36:43 PM »

I may be in for some MP if I ever get around to picking up a new controller.  playing Prototype with the right trigger held down all the time made it act wonky, so I took it apart and found the spring had fallen out of place.  I replaced it easily enough, but then the left trigger started acting up and randomly firing even though I hadn't touched it  saywhat

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 02, 2009, 12:48:10 AM »

I'm definitely up for some multiplayer!

-Autistic Angel
RuperT
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 02, 2009, 07:02:12 PM »

I'd like to try multiplayer, too (still slogging through SP on Hard).  I'm an East coast late-nighter, usually.

Live: MooseFoe
PSN: Rupyrt
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 03, 2009, 11:26:55 AM »

just bought this today....did the code for the maps(MAPMAYHEM)that EngineNo9 and Razgon posted work?..and what are those maps like?

and was the code that Razgon posted (HARDHITTER) for the golden hammer unabled to be turned off like Chaz said after Razgon posted??

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 03, 2009, 11:28:28 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 03, 2009, 11:26:55 AM

just bought this today....did the code for the maps(MAPMAYHEM)that EngineNo9 and Razgon posted work?..and what are those maps like?

and was the code that Razgon posted (HARDHITTER) for the golden hammer unabled to be turned off like Chaz said after Razgon posted??

MAPMAYHEM is for more maps for Wrecking Crew, i.e. HOtseat multiplayer - and, you'll want it no matter what. The other one, no clue myself actually

A new one
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 03, 2009, 11:47:46 AM »

I apologize in advance for asking a question that may be answered in the previous 6 pages: But what is this hotseat mode you speak of?  I love hotseat type games.  Can someone briefly describe it, and why it's so fun?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 03, 2009, 11:49:59 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on July 03, 2009, 11:47:46 AM

I apologize in advance for asking a question that may be answered in the previous 6 pages: But what is this hotseat mode you speak of?  I love hotseat type games.  Can someone briefly describe it, and why it's so fun?

There are a few different types of games, but basically, you select a map , a few other options, and a weapon -. you then either get a set amount of time (1 minute) or a set amount of Ammo to destroy as much as you can on the map, before time runs out. When time runs out, the game gives you 9 seconds, in case something is JUST about to collapse, so you get those points as well. After this, its your friends turn.... Basically, destroy as much as you can, with the weapons and time allows..VERY fun!

A new one
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 03, 2009, 12:03:38 PM »

Got it.  Thanks, Razgon.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 03, 2009, 12:07:36 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on July 03, 2009, 12:03:38 PM

Got it.  Thanks, Razgon.

My pleasure - I really love that part of the game, but its a bit hard to describe why it is so much fun, but I think its part of the whole destruction thing, paired with the tactical part of what building to take on, what parts to destroy with your weapon to maximase damage, and make it fall and so on...

A new one
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 03, 2009, 03:52:26 PM »

Today I'm playing my weekly pool match with Moliere from noon until around 5, then having dinner with the wife, and after that the evening looks up in the air.  She's been on a Harry Potter kick in anticipation of the new film, so every few days we've been watching the next Harry Potter film in the series and I'm not sure if that's what she's going to want to do tonight after dinner.  But if not and she instead is too immersed in the current book she's reading to do anything else then I will be able to log on and play some online MP.  I haven't even taken the plastic off of the game yet, so I might need a few minutes to figure out how to get things started, and I'm not entirely sure if I'll be able to play or not depending on what my wife wants to do tonight so I haven't scheduled a formal "Geezers Gone Guerrilla" event, but if I have the time I'll log on and try to get an impromtu game going with any interested players currently online.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 03, 2009, 05:54:15 PM »

okay,i have only done the tutorial at the beginning so i can't really say whether i would like it

but in the tutorial you had to blow up two buildings with the dynamite...well i thought sod that,and used my hammer..i kept running in,knocking down a wall or two,and running back out again...nothing happened

so i ran in,knocked down what looked like a wall that would make it fall,and ran back out again...nothing...hmm

so i ran in ....and the bastard building fell down on top of me...i was laughing a lot icon_lol

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 04, 2009, 02:34:44 PM »

okay these radio transmissions

what am i looking for?,what do they look like and what kind of areas are they usually in?

i have just liberated Parker and moved onto the next area Dust...and i realised i haven't collected or seen one of these radio transmissions that is supposed to be hidden out in the world

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 04, 2009, 03:03:02 PM »

On the minimap, they show up as a small green dot.  In the world, they look kind of like an orange fireball on the ground.  Whenever you find three, a MOAB spawns near the third one, which you can then attach to a vehicle and blow stuff up with.

Really, they're completely optional.  They're fairly well-hidden, I think the jetpack is required to get some of them, and the MOAB is fairly limited, since it has to be attached to a vehicle.  I went through the whole game only finding three, so don't worry about them unless you're compelled to get the achievement.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 04, 2009, 03:12:31 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on July 04, 2009, 03:03:02 PM

On the minimap, they show up as a small green dot.  In the world, they look kind of like an orange fireball on the ground.  Whenever you find three, a MOAB spawns near the third one, which you can then attach to a vehicle and blow stuff up with.

Really, they're completely optional.  They're fairly well-hidden, I think the jetpack is required to get some of them, and the MOAB is fairly limited, since it has to be attached to a vehicle.  I went through the whole game only finding three, so don't worry about them unless you're compelled to get the achievement.

oh are they the very small dots,with what looks like an increasing circle around them?

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 04, 2009, 07:52:12 PM »

okay found an interactive map(like the sacred 2 one on its wiki page)

click on what you want it to show on the right hand side

http://www.msxbox-world.com/features/Red-Faction-Guerrilla/index.php

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 08, 2009, 06:33:15 PM »

GT effect got to me.  Picked it up on sale at BB last night (they have it for 49.99 this week) with a 10 dollar rewardzone coupon I've been hanging onto.

Cleared out the first area and was surprised how short that was.  Finished it in about 90 minutes (with tons of dying and quite a few side things).  Do the other areas take a bit longer?

Other than that, I'm really diggin' it.  The level of destruction is astounding.  I already see where new strategies for an FPS can be used. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 08, 2009, 06:40:43 PM »

The first area is damn small compared to subsequent ones.  I think one of the later race missions asks you to drive 2/3 of the way across the full map and gives you about ten minutes to do so.  Going full tilt and cutting every corner I could, I made it with about 30 seconds to spare.  It's definitely not a short game.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 08, 2009, 06:52:40 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 08, 2009, 06:33:15 PM

Cleared out the first area and was surprised how short that was.  Finished it in about 90 minutes (with tons of dying and quite a few side things).  Do the other areas take a bit longer?

Yes: later areas tend to have a lot more optional "Guerrilla Actions" like raids, hostage rescues, and convoy attacks you can do.  There's also lots of freeform stuff where you can target EDF buildings for demolition whenever you like.

I think most areas still only have three or four story missions leading to liberation of the sector.  My preference would have been for more, if only because I had sooo much fun with them, but the official narrative of RF:G is pretty short.

Quote from: hepcat on July 08, 2009, 06:33:15 PM

Other than that, I'm really diggin' it.  The level of destruction is astounding.  I already see where new strategies for an FPS can be used. 

Multiplayer mode introduces a half-dozen swappable backpacks that give characters recharging powers like healing allies, charging straight through walls, or knocking everyone back with a concussive burst.  Combine that with the different gameplay modes, and I'm really looking forward to PhillyPeteRock's long awaited Geezers Gone Guerrilla night! icon_cool

-Autistic Angel
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 08, 2009, 07:09:18 PM »

I tried out a bit of MP last night and got my ass handed to me by everybody and their brother-in-law.  I had no idea what I was doing.  I did get a chance to try a few packs though.  The Rhino was fun.  Just charge right through buildings.  I can see some uses for that one.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 08, 2009, 07:48:41 PM »

Had some fun the other night with one of the demo targets.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Had to take out a bridge that I was warned would require creative thinking. When I saw the lattice work underneath I understood, then snickered. I moved to the side then started just shooting the lattice work with my nano rifle. Watched several parts of it just dissolve. While the thing remained standing I just kept plugging away. All of a sudden, an entire section of it starts breaking down and I turned to see a truck had driven over it. This brought half of it crashing down before another truck on the far side brought down the other half the same way. Hilarious.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 10, 2009, 03:04:39 PM »

$39.99 at Amazon for the 360 version again.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 11, 2009, 12:03:56 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 10, 2009, 03:04:39 PM

$39.99 at Amazon for the 360 version again.

Yes! Thanks for the heads up! And the ECA codes are working again for another 10% off. I just ordered the game, $36 and should be here on Tuesday. Been wanting to pick this one up for a while, but was looking for that under $40 sweet spot.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 12, 2009, 07:33:48 AM »

I picked this up today and put a few hours in, I would have to say the control scheme is what imrpesses me most so far. It's very fluid and not overly complicated, choosing weapons on the fly is never an issue. I'm only in the beginning but I'm hoping the level design gets more diverse and interesting, I know Mars isn't the most enthralling landscape but fuck it, it's a video game give me some cool shit to look at. I like the combat as well, it's fun shooting people and blowing shit up. My concern at this point is repetitive gameplay, I'm hoping the story is good and the game isn't just a big sandbox. If I find that I'm liking the game a lot 5-6 hours into it I might just drop the console version and wait for the PC version, not digging the graphics all that much. The v-sync is bugging me and I wouldn't mind a higher framerate/resolution.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:46:35 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 12, 2009, 07:43:39 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 12, 2009, 07:33:48 AM

I picked this up today and put a few hours in, I would have to say the control scheme is what imrpesses me most so far. It's very fluid and not overly complicated, choosing weapons on the fly is never an issue. I'm only in the beginning but I'm hoping the level design gets more diverse and interesting, I know Mars isn't the most enthralling landscape but fuck it, it's a video game give me some cool shit to look at. I like the combat as well, it's fun shooting people and blowing shit up. My concern at this point is repetetive gameplay, I'm hoping the story is good and the game isn't just a big sandbox. If I find that I'm liking the game a lot 5-6 hours into it I might just drop the console version and wait for the PC version, not digging the graphics all that much. The v-sync is bugging me and I wouldn't mind a higher framerate.

if you go for the PC version pre-ordering through Impulse will get you the first 2 games for free.

Because I can,
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 12, 2009, 04:29:53 PM »

I just cleared out oasis, and I'm not getting any more missions.  I see I have access to the free fire zone, but no icons are there.  There's a couple of valued targets in badlands that I need to finish (big bridge, and some other smaller targets)  Do I need to finish those off before moving on?  Always thought those were optional...
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 12, 2009, 05:20:42 PM »

Are you sure you don't have any more story missions? There should be one near the entrance to the free fire zone, which I think is in Dust.  Double check, it should be there.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: