http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 10:39:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Red Faction: Guerrilla Impressions  (Read 16893 times)
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2009, 07:15:21 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 16, 2009, 06:16:46 PM

This is $39.99 at Amazon right now, they matched newegg who is sold out.  Get it while it's hot.  360 version is the only one on sale at the moment.

Red Faction: Guerrilla is the best open-world game I've ever played, and one of the most enjoyable games I've found in many years.  This is a genre-defining title, with crazy destruction-based warfare encouraged by an *amazingly* interactive physics engine, but wisely tempered by superior enemy forces and tangible rewards for smart tactics.

If you're reading this thread and are inexplicably still on the fence about getting this game, you should see what sledgehammers can do to martian fences.  Or load-bearing bridge supports.  Or PhillyPeteRock.

Buy this game.

-Autistic Angel
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2009, 07:18:02 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 16, 2009, 06:31:47 PM

Quote from: Chaz on June 12, 2009, 11:46:23 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 12, 2009, 10:48:16 AM

Quote from: The Grue on June 12, 2009, 09:28:56 AM

Quote from: Fuzzballx on June 11, 2009, 07:39:10 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on June 11, 2009, 04:59:42 PM

Aside from MP does anyone know of any differences between the Xbox and PS3 version of this game?

The PS3 version was more difficult to program, so they left out being able to destroy world objects, such as buildings.

Wow, that seems like a major difference.  Are you serious?  I read a review just now from IGN and it talked about destruction on multiplayer.

wow,that is a big difference...funny as well,because the first two Red Factions with its destructable stuff was on PS2

The PS3 version also has it's sarcasm detector disabled.

Okay as a lot of us hadn't played the PS3 version online,how was we to know?
As we can't read 'tone' in someones sentence,how was we to know?
As the person didn't actually put (!) at the end of the sentence meaning he was being sarcastic how the F*CK was we to know????  Roll Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lICurOVsNv0

Anyhow, i have some beachfront property in Kansas i'd like to sell some of ya'll.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 07:22:38 PM by Fuzzballx » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2009, 07:18:54 PM »

Agreed.  This game came out of nowhere for me, and I'm really liking it.  Especially surprising for me since I recently gave up on Saints Row 2 because of a bunch of things I just couldn't stand about it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2009, 07:19:14 PM »

If you don't buy this game AA will kill your family.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2009, 07:21:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 16, 2009, 07:19:14 PM

If you don't buy this game AA will kill your family.

Though there's nothing guaranteeing that he won't do that even if you do buy it.

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2009, 07:26:46 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 16, 2009, 06:51:38 PM

Quote from: Chaz on June 16, 2009, 06:46:48 PM

I've never played the PS3 version either.  Bug given that the building destruction is the central point of the game, you'd better believe that if it was missing from the PS3 version, there would have been tons of complaining both here and elsewhere on the nets.  The sarcasm was pretty obvious to me, and a quick visit to any PS3 site's review of the game would probably turn up a mention of building destruction in the opening paragraph.

well we were talking about Multiplayer at the time,so the comment saying that it didnt have destructable environments didn't seem that much of a 'out of the ballpark' comment to me...oh,well,i know now icon_cool

Multiplayer RFG is absolutely zero special without the destruction engine of geo mod 2.0.   Without it, the game would be like a rotten banana, once you unwrapped it all you'd have would be a smelly wrapper and a pile of brown shit.

The destruction engine is the ONLY good thing about multiplayer RFG.  The entire game is build on being able to blow shit up.  If you couldn't blow shit up, you'd have a 2$ budget title from 1980.

With the destruction engine, multiplayer online becomes enough fun to keep you entertained for a few hours.  I still find no lasting enjoyment in it at all though.  The single player and wrecking crew is where all the fun is imho.

This game needs coop, with coop this could be GOTY.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 16, 2009, 08:36:01 PM »

Mind you it be a very pretty $2 budget title from 1980  icon_wink

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 16, 2009, 08:55:56 PM »

I've gone back to playing it after detours with Fuel and the CoDWaW new map pack. I started back at the beginning so I could get a better handle on what I'm doing and I'm having a blast. I'm only in Dust and it's amazing all the things I can choose to do, or not do, at any one time.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 16, 2009, 10:11:48 PM »

Just had a friend over who hadnt seen it, and I suggested we tried out some Wrecking Crew MP'ing.... and 4 hours later we had to stop because it was midnight - DAMN thats fun!!

A new one
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2009, 04:20:29 PM »

On Monday night, I pulled out my Nano Rifle to snipe at an EDF gunship that was raining pulse charges down on my allies' defensive line.  I knew from experience that it takes three hits to the fuselage to break up a flyer, so it caught me by surprise when the very first shot dissolved the stabilator right off the starboard wing.

I think it caught the pilot off guard, too.  The gunship bucked up as she fought for attitude control, but then pitched over in a crazed spiral and careened into the base of a nearby smokestack which collapsed into the roadway thick with panicked EDF troops.  It's possible something even more awesome happened next, but I by that time I was on the phone canceling my wedding so I'd have more time to play this game.

If Red Faction: Guerrilla is not the best game released in 2009, it'll be because my Arkham Asylum Collector's Edition batarang comes with a free genie.  And I mean the sprightly Robin Williams kind, too, not one of those nettlesome Wishmaster djinn that just take everything you say as an excuse to turn your Labrador into glass. disgust

-Autistic Angel
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 04:22:43 PM by Autistic Angel » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: June 17, 2009, 04:29:17 PM »

i loved doing that.  it's so much fun to watch them fall out of the sky.  even better when they can hit something else.

the only problem with rfg is that now every other game that promises something similar will be knocked a point for not doing what this one does.  they need to license the engine out.  there isn't a sandbox destruction game out there that even compares to the level of detail of rfg.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 17, 2009, 06:00:02 PM »

I love sniping the fliers with the upgraded nano rifle.  Hilarious.

I blew up my first MOAB yesterday.  I parked the thing in a big garage in Oasis, then proceeded to park several cars around it, then ran around picking up as many fuel canisters and drums as I could and piling them up.  Then dumped all the remote bombs I could on it, then ran away and blew it up.  Was awesome.

Last night I got through the Free Fire Zone, which kind of annoyed me:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The first leg has you running through the zone with a bunch of "friendlies".  Of course, the only thing these people seem to want to do is drive directly into your vehicle.  Constantly.  Of course, after that, not a single one of that horde has made it through, so you're left to attack the massive base completely alone.  I died several times and eventually set it to easy to clear it out.  After checking the internet, it seems that the EDF in that base don't respawn, so the best thing to do is go slowly and take them all out as you go.  I hadn't even thought of doing that because in every single other instance of the EDF showing up, you will eventually get overwhelmed by respawning enemies, so standing and fighting is a good way to die.  I hate when games break their own rules.

That said, the sheer amount of ridiculous stuff that can happen as you go through the game is crazy.  I think my favorite part is after you clear a zone, and can then go back and dismantle all the EDF buildings bit by bit.  I've got all the upgrades I want from all the scrap I get (though it's going to take me a while to save up for the thermo rockets).  This is my biggest surprise of the year, and will be the first sandbox game that I ever finish.

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 18, 2009, 08:20:24 PM »

Along that line...it'll be the first sandbox game i ever finish twice, nevermind twice in a row with only  a weekend off:)

My first play through was on normal and my typical loadout was the Missile Launcher, the nano rifle, and remote charges.

My 2nd playthrough i wanted to go "creative" and just have fun with it + do 100% of the gurilla missions and see if i could find the 350 mining deposit achievement as well.  So i'm doing easy difficulty on my 2nd playthrough...and while it is harder to die, it can still happen with several EDF firing into you at once.

What i find enjoying about easy though is, enemies don't require a whole assault rifle clip to kill...they die about half as easy as normal enemies...which somehow seems more realistic to me since i'm using heavy industrial weapons or their own weapons...both of which should be very destructive.   So it's more fun that way for a 2nd playthrough since i already beat a challenging pass at normal (that last mission is omfg tough on normal mode even).

2nd playthrough my loadout is consisting of: Arc Welder (for clearning enemy vehicles that i want to take over (tanks & convoy captures & apc captures), The cutter, for Armor Piercing sawblade shooting fun, and IFF upgraded mines (for destroying convoys mostly, but also buildings when a tank is not available).

Just having a hell of a good time and more and more crazy insane stuff keeps happening that you just can't plan or script:) That sheer cool fun what the hell is gonna happen next factor that keeps on putting out clearly makes this single player game of the year so far at least.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 18, 2009, 08:29:25 PM »

Just in case they havent been posted, here are two codes you can enter for some more fun

MAPMAYHEM : For more Wrecking Crew maps, 5 more actually

HARDHITTER: For a new hammer

enjoy :-)

A new one
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 18, 2009, 09:03:35 PM »

I hardhitter the golden hammer unlock? I've been reading that there's no way to turn that off.  If true, use with caution.

If I was to do it again, I'd definitely be playing on easy.  On normal, I usually don't even go in to pick up the salvage from the high and medium importance targets I destroy because it's generally suicidal to do so.  My standard MO is to blow them up from a distance, going back to refill ammo/wait for the heat do die down if necessary.   My main goal on this playthrough is to get pro times on all demo master missions (I'm only four short, two early ones that I need to remember to go back to, and two that I just haven't found yet), and maybe get the supply crate thing.

My usual loadout is the fully upgraded nano rifle, the remote mines, and the Marauder shotgun.  I may swap the shotgun out with the thermo rockets now that I have those, since I can sledgehammer my way out of most trouble, and the nanorifle can take care of my distant targets.  Though I may have to muck with the sniper rifle now that I have that.   icon_twisted

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 18, 2009, 09:44:25 PM »

I've heard that the hammer upgrades are really just skins.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: June 18, 2009, 10:27:11 PM »

Anyone get the ostrich hammer yet?
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 19, 2009, 09:49:58 AM »

thanks to amazon for the sale. this arrived earlier today and played about 3 hours. I only hope that blowing up shit never gets old. it's an absolute blast.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2009, 05:33:30 PM »

I'm going to continue to weigh in on the negative side of this game.  I *really* want to like it, but it keeps frustrating me over and over again, handing me deaths and reduced civilian support.

My problem with the game still remains the same.  If I go in cautious, I get swarmed, and I have trouble getting two guys with one clip of the assault rifle.  Result: Death.

If I go in guns blazing, I will usually get to my objectives (hostages, building that needs destroying) and complete those objectives, but then I get swarmed going out, usually because my vehicle goes red or I am unable to get a new vehicle.  Running on foot is not enough to get away.  I get gunned down, Result:  Death.

I have the ability to toss 5 demo charges.  I have the Level 1 armor.  I have the ability to pick up scrap while driving.  I have dropped the difficulty to normal.  I'm in Dust sector currently.

The game feels a bit schizophrenic to me.  On one hand, they've given me this character that feels fragile.  They want me to feel like 2 rounds of ammo, and I'm dead.  Okay, I get this.  On the other hand, they have set up the encounters in such a way that it takes Marcus Phoenix or Scott Mitchell to get through them...of which I am neither.  I am Alex Mason, Earther.

If the game is going to make me fragile, and give me reason to think about my approach, it lacks one of several features:

1:  Stealth.  The stealth in this game is non-exsistant.  The minute I cross some invisible line, they know I am there, and *all* of them know where I am.

2: Team control/'gang'ing up - I can get my hostages or nearby civilians to help me...halfway through my mission. This occurs usually when I am looking for a vehicle to get the flock outta there.  Not being able to bring even one wingman in with me sucks.

I dunno.  Right now, the game is still in my collection because the local Wrecking Crew mode is a ton of fun, and I've not tried any MP yet (aside from the MP demo, and I liked that demo.)  I really don't think it's my aim that needs work.  What do you guys think I'm missing that might salvage this game?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 19, 2009, 06:00:03 PM »

A few things:

1) The assault rifle does suck.  Your hammer does not.  With lvl 1 armor, you should be generally able to sprint up to guys and hammer them, which is almost always a one hit kill.  If you start to get surrounded, hammer your way out and run.

2) Death happens.  The morale penalty is relatively minor, so just accept it and respawn.

3) You don't have to do every mission.  I agree that the combat-focused missions are no fun.  I'm almost done with the game, and can count on one hand the number of times I've done an area defense, guerrilla raid, or other combat heavy mission.  On the other hand, I do every single one of the demo master, heavy metal, courier, and transport missions that come up, and do a lot of the hostage missions (which can be done with little combat).  There's so many things available that you don't have to do the combat heavy stuff, generally.

4) The weaponry available in Dust isn't the best.  I'd grab one of the EDF shotguns if you can, but know that once you get out of Dust, you start getting much better weapons. 

I think you may be staying in combat too long.  In my mind, the game is pretty much pointing out that you're fighting a massive organized military force, and going toe to toe with them will just get you killed.  Getting away from them is very possible and much easier than standing and fighting. 

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2009, 06:08:45 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 19, 2009, 06:00:03 PM

A few things:

1) The assault rifle does suck.  Your hammer does not.  With lvl 1 armor, you should be generally able to sprint up to guys and hammer them, which is almost always a one hit kill.  If you start to get surrounded, hammer your way out and run.

I'll give this a go.  I'd been keeping my hammer as my 'I'm outta ammo weapon' or if I needed to get through a wall.  It hadn't occurred to me that it was a serious primary weapon.

2) Death happens.  The morale penalty is relatively minor, so just accept it and respawn.

Yeah, it does...but the Civ support meter sitting at zero has been driving me nuts.

3) You don't have to do every mission.  I agree that the combat-focused missions are no fun.  I'm almost done with the game, and can count on one hand the number of times I've done an area defense, guerrilla raid, or other combat heavy mission.  On the other hand, I do every single one of the demo master, heavy metal, courier, and transport missions that come up, and do a lot of the hostage missions (which can be done with little combat).  There's so many things available that you don't have to do the combat heavy stuff, generally.

It took me six tries to do a house arrest in Dust because of the insta-EDF that someone was brewing in a ramen noodle cooker.  Seriously...

4) The weaponry available in Dust isn't the best.  I'd grab one of the EDF shotguns if you can, but know that once you get out of Dust, you start getting much better weapons. 

Just discovered that shotgun before giving up last night.  Is it really a shotgun?  The 'pulse' looks like it is focussed on a single target.

I think you may be staying in combat too long.  In my mind, the game is pretty much pointing out that you're fighting a massive organized military force, and going toe to toe with them will just get you killed.  Getting away from them is very possible and much easier than standing and fighting. 

Along with your other suggestions, I'll try this more.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 19, 2009, 06:36:07 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 17, 2009, 04:20:29 PM

On Monday night, I pulled out my Nano Rifle to snipe at an EDF gunship that was raining pulse charges down on my allies' defensive line.  I knew from experience that it takes three hits to the fuselage to break up a flyer, so it caught me by surprise when the very first shot dissolved the stabilator right off the starboard wing.

I think it caught the pilot off guard, too.  The gunship bucked up as she fought for attitude control, but then pitched over in a crazed spiral and careened into the base of a nearby smokestack which collapsed into the roadway thick with panicked EDF troops.  It's possible something even more awesome happened next, but I by that time I was on the phone canceling my wedding so I'd have more time to play this game.

If Red Faction: Guerrilla is not the best game released in 2009, it'll be because my Arkham Asylum Collector's Edition batarang comes with a free genie.  And I mean the sprightly Robin Williams kind, too, not one of those nettlesome Wishmaster djinn that just take everything you say as an excuse to turn your Labrador into glass. disgust

-Autistic Angel

This may be the most awesome review of anything ever. Bravo.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2009, 06:49:31 PM »

Dreamshadow, something to keep in mind about the house arrest missions that I didn't know until recently is that you only need to rescue at least one of the targets that's still alive.  So if there's three guys to rescue, and two get killed, just drive that last one back and you've succeeded.  Or, some people have mentioned the especially evil approach of simply taking the hammer to all but one of the targets, and rescuing the final guy.

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 19, 2009, 07:43:04 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on June 19, 2009, 06:08:45 PM

Quote from: Chaz on June 19, 2009, 06:00:03 PM

A few things:

I'll give this a go.  I'd been keeping my hammer as my 'I'm outta ammo weapon' or if I needed to get through a wall.  It hadn't occurred to me that it was a serious primary weapon.

Yeah, it does...but the Civ support meter sitting at zero has been driving me nuts.

It took me six tries to do a house arrest in Dust because of the insta-EDF that someone was brewing in a ramen noodle cooker.  Seriously...

Just discovered that shotgun before giving up last night.  Is it really a shotgun?  The 'pulse' looks like it is focussed on a single target.

Along with your other suggestions, I'll try this more.

Let me chime in again....cause some of this is just flat incorrect statements regarding the game mechanics.

In regards to prisoner rescue missions.  The game spawns VERY FEW EDF until you rescue the prisoners, at which point it exponentially ramps up the spawn in rate along with alert level.

It is extremely easy to complete prisoner rescues using ONLY the sledge hammer if you like or any other weapon including assault rifle.  There are typically 2 to 5 EDF at the hostage location.  Park a getaway vehicle with 4 seats next to the hostage location, get out, kill the EDF quickly, untie the prisoners, run to the getaway vehicle, wait for them to get in (1 may die on occasion) then race for the safe house.  If you didn't bring your getaway car and park it very close by...you're unlikely to get away...the whole premise is quick in and quick out on a hostage rescue, you have little time, but if you bring your own getaway car with enough seats, then it's easy, and you'll like lose zero hostages and get away clean with very few EDF chasing.

The only way you can die 6 times on a hostage rescue is if instead of rescuing the hostages and getting them to safety, your goal is to kill EDF all day long till you're buried in a red alert level of incoming EDF tanks, or you try to run a marathon to find a getaway car.

If you need any help beating off chasers, then caputure an EDF vehicle with one of those pulse weapons on it first.  The first hostage in the vehicle will auto mount and take control of the vehicles anti-vehicle gun and start blowing the shite out of the local EDF chasing you.

I can't imagine a hostage rescue mission being difficult even if all you have is a pistol and hammer.

They're designed to be like the easiest missions in the game other than heavy metal missions which are total gimmies.

Moving on destruction missions.  you mean the Guerilla raids on EDF targets?  Why are you failing? Death? No idea?  Don't destroy the target yourself, just help the many many rebels kill the EDF before all the rebels die.  These aren't respawn missions.  These missions have few to no respawns at all. Once the EDF troops are dead, the friendly rebels will set charges and blow the target themselves. You're just a tag along hired gun...so use cover and kill EDF troops with the rocket launcher and hammer and then mission complete.

Defense missions....god made mines...smart men used the land mines god gave em to defend the land god granted them.  Those men kept their land and got lots of EDF salvage from destroyed EDF vehicles.  Mines and rocket launchers boys, mines and rocket launchers...kill those vehicles before they disgorge their troops and save the people.

And Make use of that Arc Welder!  Red Alert? No problem, Arc Welder = capture enemy getaway car for yourself without damaging it first, or better yet, capture the enemy tank and use it against them to kill lots of priority targets!

Villagers mad at you cause you drove over their Aunt Tilda? No problem, Kill streaks start at 3 quick kills.  Find some EDF, kill em quick, run away so yellow alert goes back to green. A kill streak of 3 completed with you still alive gives +3 morale, a kill streak of 10 gives +10 morale.... Dying makes you lose like only 3 morale.  A successful guerilla mission gives like +10 morale.  Morale should never be a problem with those mechanics....if it is...restart on easy, cause you'll have more fun!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 07:46:00 PM by Fuzzballx » Logged
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2009, 09:12:46 PM »

Anyone have some suggestions for the destruction mission that involves the three sets of pipes in the big hole, an ammo chest and a walker? I have to stay, I'm stumped.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2009, 09:41:42 PM »

That one was pretty hard.  I think what I ended up doing was immediately running down to the walker, then running up the pipe on the walker's platform, jump-jetting to the top pipe, and breaking the top pipe such that it fell and took out the two lower pipes.  I don't remember where I broke the top pipe from.  I may have even jump-jetted through it, breaking it on my way up and flying to safety. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 19, 2009, 11:46:05 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on June 19, 2009, 07:43:04 PM

If you need any help beating off chasers

that sounds so dirty  Tongue

Because I can,
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 22, 2009, 09:24:33 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on June 19, 2009, 09:12:46 PM

Anyone have some suggestions for the destruction mission that involves the three sets of pipes in the big hole, an ammo chest and a walker? I have to stay, I'm stumped.

I got the charges out of the ammo crate.  Planted 3 at the base there, got in the walker and went up to the top end of the lower pipe set, blew the charges at the bottom (1 outside each side & 1 in the middle).  Set 3 at the top same config, back in walker, jumped to level 2, blew last set and bottom pipes dropped, repeated for middle pipe set.  Jumped to top set, jumped up and down with the jumppack on the bottom end and then the top end till they each broke free and laid on the jumppack till the mission ended at that point.

Aint pretty but it was pretty straightfoward.

If anyone needs tips on other demo missions, i may have done them all at this point, or close to it.

The only one i didn't get and had to cheese on by just using the hammer to smack the building down was one where you got 8 explosive barrels and a hammer to knock down a tower across a small chasm...could not for the life of me figure out how to use those barrels in destroying the building so i just got it by knocking out the base of the tower with the hammer...obviously nowhere near the pro 10 second time...i just am not seeing the "trick" on that one, but thankfully you can do i the hard way if you choose to.

My favorite so far was the one was 3 bullets and a prayer:)
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 22, 2009, 09:39:55 PM »

I finished this the other night, and got the pro time on all the demo master missions.  Spoiler for the barrel/tower one:

Spoiler for Hiden:
This one bugged the hell out of me.  The trick is to use the overhand hit (LT) to whack the top of them, which somehow manages to send them flying like a golf ball.  I have no idea why this works, and I strongly suspect that they built a puzzle around a physics bug.  The trajectory of the barrel seems to have something to do with your position relative to the barrel and the target, plus your distance from the barrel.  I never figured it out.  Getting the pro time seems very dependent on getting lucky shots with the first two barrels, but it can be done.  Took me a ton of tries though.

My least favorite one was the one with two pipes and the explosive barrels that you have to toss down the pipe to the house.  My favorite was the one in EOS with the partially completed towers.  biggrin

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: June 23, 2009, 07:31:21 PM »

I'd like to thank people for their advice to me on this game.  It has gotten better, and I'm working my way through Oasis with the Nano-rifle now and i'm pretty happy with the game. 

I discovered something that may have been causing some of my grief.  Apparantly, I did not save the game after I turned it down to normal and just ragequit.  So when I came back and thought it was on normal, it was actually back on Hard.  Now that it is on normal, I've gotten through Ashes to Ashes, with only one retry needed, and am working on Badlands and Oasis.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 23, 2009, 09:41:17 PM »

I just finished the campaign. So since I'm done I figure I can run around blowing things up in peace but no! There are still EDF baddies around. ARRRGGHHH!

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 24, 2009, 12:08:13 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on June 23, 2009, 09:41:17 PM

I just finished the campaign. So since I'm done I figure I can run around blowing things up in peace but no! There are still EDF baddies around. ARRRGGHHH!

I had the exact same reaction when I finished.  Apparently you kicked the EDF off Mars, but these guys didn't get the message.  After I was done with the story, I went and finished off the demo master missions I still needed pro times on, took out a few medium importance targets (which are way easier when you have 8 thermo rockets), and finished the "kill 50 flyers" and "break 250 EDF crates" achievements.  I think I'm all done now, but hanging onto the game so I can try the local multiplayer mode.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 24, 2009, 07:52:29 PM »

So I got home today, and found that UPS had left a small box on my porch with the familiar fist and hammer logo on it.  Open it up, and turns out it's the heavy walker promo figure that Best Buy was offering with the game purchase.  I'd thought that it was one of those "get it when you buy the game, supplies limited (to the two that we got)" deals, so I thought nothing of it when I didn't get it at the register.  Seems they sent it because I used my reward zone card. 

This is a much better plan than Gamestop's "pre-order promos" where you've got a 90% chance to never get the promo item in the first place.

It's a nice figure too.  Lots of articulation points, including articulated hydraulic rams on the limbs.  Neat.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 24, 2009, 08:07:26 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 24, 2009, 07:52:29 PM

It's a nice figure too.  Lots of articulation points, including articulated hydraulic rams on the limbs.  Neat.

Photos please, possibly posing it with a Barbie in compromising circumstances  slywink

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 24, 2009, 08:42:47 PM »

From what I saw in store, you needed to be a member of the Reward Zone Gamer's Club to have it sent you automatically... hoping one shows up on my doorstep soon.  nod

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 24, 2009, 08:54:06 PM »

It would have been funnier if it had been a mine in the box  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 25, 2009, 12:20:06 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 24, 2009, 07:52:29 PM

So I got home today, and found that UPS had left a small box on my porch with the familiar fist and hammer logo on it.  Open it up, and turns out it's the heavy walker promo figure that Best Buy was offering with the game purchase.  I'd thought that it was one of those "get it when you buy the game, supplies limited (to the two that we got)" deals, so I thought nothing of it when I didn't get it at the register.  Seems they sent it because I used my reward zone card. 

This is a much better plan than Gamestop's "pre-order promos" where you've got a 90% chance to never get the promo item in the first place.

I had one waiting for me, too.  I didn't even know the deal existed, so I was really surprised.

It really is well-put together...like, they could have charged $30 bucks for it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 28, 2009, 04:56:14 PM »

Any tips for taking out the giant bridge in Badlands?  Having a real tough time with it.  I've got the rocket launcher with extra ammo and multi-rockets, and 30 remote charges.  Just doesn't seem to be enough.  I almost had it once when I got access to a MOAB.  It was a little disappointing honestly but did do about 30% damage to the bridge.  Accidentally killed myself with the rocket launcher trying to finish it off though frown  Should I just wait until I have better weapons?
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 28, 2009, 05:39:58 PM »

Quote from: kathode on June 28, 2009, 04:56:14 PM

Any tips for taking out the giant bridge in Badlands?  Having a real tough time with it.  I've got the rocket launcher with extra ammo and multi-rockets, and 30 remote charges.  Just doesn't seem to be enough.  I almost had it once when I got access to a MOAB.  It was a little disappointing honestly but did do about 30% damage to the bridge.  Accidentally killed myself with the rocket launcher trying to finish it off though frown  Should I just wait until I have better weapons?

Take out the supports with the Nano Forge.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: June 28, 2009, 05:55:53 PM »

after you do the demo mission, you will start seeing mechs show up.  one of the light Aliens-esque loader mechs shows up near an edf roadblock and a race start point (i think).  i grabbed it during a mission and used it to finish that up and then knock down the bridge.  i smashed the sections nearest the ends so edf couldn't follow me out and then proceeded to plow up the roadway and knock down supports.  by the time i was done, it looked like a massive kids construction kit after a temper tantrum and fell down in sections. 

you could also use mines and the edf against itself and remote charges to make a massive chain reaction.  i did that later on just for fun when the bridge was rebuilt. 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: