http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 08:41:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Red Faction: Guerrilla Impressions  (Read 16414 times)
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2009, 12:37:29 AM »

It sounds like the demo drops you in a mission partway through.  I just started the full game and I think I just opened up the last mission in the first area.  So far, it hasn't been anything too difficult.  During firefights, I find myself using my remote charges a lot to try and take out as many as I can, and then wind up charging in with the sledgehammer.

When I was taking out my first high interest target, I first took a lightish vehicle into the compound and started trying to ram the enemies.  One of them tossed a grenade at me that hit one of their fuel tanks, which exploded and took out half the building.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get enough speed to ram down the rest of the building, and when I got out, I got swarmed and killed.

Second time, I borrowed a heavy mining truck.  With the extra weight, I was able to mow down most of the building, and then a combination of sticky bombs and sledgehammer were enough to take out the rest, as well as the defenders on my way out.  smile

It seems like the game really encourages a balls out, mass chaos style of playing.  Sneaking doesn't (at least early on) seem to be the way to go.  Which I guess is to be expected when the first weapons the game gives you are a sledge hammer and a fistful of bombs, and tells you that the hammer is for quiet kills.  biggrin

Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2009, 12:45:10 AM »

How bad does it hurt when you fail and it reloads?  Is there a lot of repeating the easy part of a mission a bunch just to get to the hard part?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2009, 12:55:30 AM »

I haven't actually failed a mission yet.  I got killed a few times doing the optional "destroy thing X" missions.  There's a manual save, but when you reload you spawn back at base camp, and all the enemies seem to respawn in the area you'd been in before.  The autosave seems to do okay so far.  There's definitely some travel time back if you get killed, but it's no worse than any other open world sandbox game I've ever seen.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2009, 03:41:51 AM »

Quote from: Vidiot on June 07, 2009, 12:45:10 AM

How bad does it hurt when you fail and it reloads?  Is there a lot of repeating the easy part of a mission a bunch just to get to the hard part?

Missions are pretty much single-goal and not multi-staged, so when you fail you just start all over.  Any EDF buildings you take out during your trials will still be gone, though, so that may help (unless it is a very specific type of mission where you are riding shotgun shooting a turret at specific targets, then they are reconstructed if you restart the mission).

I'm actually really surprised that pretty much all destruction you do is persistent.  It may not be exactly like you left it when you come back, but if you knocked out 80% of a wall, about 80% of it is going to be gone the next time you visit.  At this point the second sector is nearly leveled because I've been taking out as many buildings as I can, in a violent manner.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2009, 07:44:48 AM »

just tried it out this evening, and man its hard! I dont like the fact that if you die, your Morale drops? I hate that actually! btw, try sticking a grenade to a person - its sooo fun watching them screaming and running around. oh, just dont do it in your safehouse - they wont appriciate the joke..sigh

A new one
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2009, 10:07:15 PM »

I picked it up and the beginning of the game is definitely a lot easier than the demo.  Can't wait to try out some multiplayer.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2009, 12:06:57 AM »

I just made my first mission foray into Badlands, scoping out the Marauder activities.  Kinda creepy.  Seems like there may be more to the story than it appeared.  Also cool to see the EDF and Marauders fighting it out en masse.  And to steal one of their crazy beyond-Mad-Max vehicles.  smile 

I'm having much more success with the hit and run tactics, trying to get out before being completely overwhelmed.  Not that I'm not dying, I'm still doing plenty of that, but I'm doing better at jumping into a vehicle and making a run for it before going down for good.

I also found my first cache of singularity bombs and had a bit of fun with those.  biggrin  Nothing like watching a building collapse in on itself, sucking in nearby troops before exploding everything back out.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2009, 03:08:41 AM »

What're everyone's favorite/least favorite weapons? 

I've put off getting the arc welder, 'cause I've had okay success with the main machine gun (and I wanted to up my sticky bomb count), and now the rocket launcher and some armor has become available, so I imagine I'll wait longer.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2009, 03:40:12 AM »

damn, this game is fun.  I just dropped a smokestack on a squad of EDF goons that were chasing me.  nothing but skill involved there  paranoid icon_twisted  I do have to say that I do feel a bit like a demented fireman when I'm running around in that outfit and wielding the sledgehammer....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2009, 04:58:24 AM »

Demo was fun, reminded me of Mercs 2, I'll wait for a price drop before I pick this up though.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2009, 05:40:35 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 08, 2009, 03:08:41 AM

I've put off getting the arc welder, 'cause I've had okay success with the main machine gun (and I wanted to up my sticky bomb count), and now the rocket launcher and some armor has become available, so I imagine I'll wait longer.

I used the standard assault rifle for a long time, but right now I'm running around with the Peacekeeper (automatic shotgun) as my main gun and the fully upgraded rocket launcher and usually some regular explosive charges.  I also have the first upgrade for the sledgehammer.

One trick I figured out is if you see somebody with a weapon you don't have (like the Peacekeeper, or the Marauder trident thing), pick it up and return it to your safe house.  It is then selectable in the future and you can refill the ammo any time.  The only thing this has't worked on for me is the Singularity bombs, but I guess that makes sense.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 03:04:24 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2009, 02:29:56 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 08, 2009, 05:40:35 AM

I used the standard assault rifle for a long time, but right now I'm running around with the Peacekeeper (automatic shotgun) as my main gun and the fully upgraded rocket launcher and usually some regular explosive charges.  I also have the first upgrade for the sledgehammer.

One trick I figured out is if you see somebody with a weapon you don't have (like the Peacekeeper, or the Marauder trident thing), pick it up and return it to .  It is then selectable in the future and you can refill the ammo any time.  The only thing this has't worked on for me is the Singularity bombs, but I guess that makes sense.

If you like the Peacekeeper, go kill some marauders until one drops the weapon called "Shotgun."  It only has 36 shots...but it's basically a one-hit kill shotgun.  Much better than the Peacekeeper...
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2009, 02:36:37 PM »

At least in the first area, I find myself using the hammer and bombs most frequently.  The assault rifle seems to take forever to kill unless you hit the head.  Instead, I toss some bombs toward the enemies and then charge in with the hammer to finish them off.  Oh, you're hiding behind a wall? Well, Mr. Hammer can take care of that!

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2009, 02:43:04 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 08, 2009, 02:36:37 PM

At least in the first area, I find myself using the hammer and bombs most frequently.  The assault rifle seems to take forever to kill unless you hit the head.  Instead, I toss some bombs toward the enemies and then charge in with the hammer to finish them off.  Oh, you're hiding behind a wall? Well, Mr. Hammer can take care of that!

Yeah, I ended up using the pistol more than the assault rifle.  Then once I got the Marauder Shotgun, I used that...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2009, 03:04:08 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on June 08, 2009, 02:29:56 PM

One trick I figured out is if you see somebody with a weapon you don't have (like the Peacekeeper, or the Marauder trident thing), pick it up and return it to .  It is then selectable in the future and you can refill the ammo any time.  The only thing this has't worked on for me is the Singularity bombs, but I guess that makes sense.

If you like the Peacekeeper, go kill some marauders until one drops the weapon called "Shotgun."  It only has 36 shots...but it's basically a one-hit kill shotgun.  Much better than the Peacekeeper...

I've used that one in multiplayer and didn't like it as much because it was so slow to shoot.  If you miss your first shot then you are practically screwed.  With the Enforcer I can just hold the trigger down until they quit twitching. Tongue

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2009, 03:04:27 PM »

wtf is up with the drivers in Dust?  twice last night I ended up reloading (or, as I've started referring to it, GOD ERASE!) a previous manual save because they were acting screwy and got me killed.  the first time I was ambushing a convoy and about to take down the last truck when out of nowhere a mining vehicle literally draws a bead on me and runs me down.  so I GOD ERASE! back to a previous save, which takes me to just before the missions to knock over some towers to unlock Dust and I get a non-driving related WTF in the form of all of a sudden the EDF guys have some kind of lightning cannon they did not have the first time I played through it.  it definitely made things more difficult, and I actually had to switch vehicles from the damage a few hits did.

the second driver incident occurred when I was rescuing some hostages in Dust.  I had cleared all the EDF guys from the building and was making my way out of it when all of a sudden one of the big mining trucks jumps over the low wall to the building.  I get a WTF look on my face as at least 3 others do the same, wrecking the building and taking out me and the hostages.  at that point I just hit the power buttons and called it a night.  seriously, was this just a glitch or was the guy charged with writing the AI for the drivers too tired from a night of screwing his sister to properly do his programming?  icon_twisted

other than those few instances I've been having a blast though.  so far I've still got the basic weapons, so I'd have to say my favorite is the sledgehammer.

Because I can,
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2009, 03:49:52 PM »

Quote from: Vidiot on June 06, 2009, 05:33:29 PM

How does this hold up against Merc2?  I loved the idea behind that one, but for whatever reason it couldn't hold my interest.  With Prototype next week I don't *need* another game (my backlog is already immense) but reading this thread has brought my interest from zero to high already.

The game is like Mercs2, except on Mars, and not shitty.  Seriously, this is the game Mercs2 should have been.

My biggest gripe is the difficulty, and that probably has a lot to do with me not playing the game "right".  I need to remember that I am a guerilla, not a superhero.  Get in, do what I need to do and get out.  Come back for the salvage when the heat is off.  I was having huge problems with a hostage rescue mission in Dust, trying to kill all the EDF, then rescue the hostages.  Kept getting killed.  Finally solved the problem by driving a truck through the wall, grabbing the hostages (well, one of them, the other one got run over, oops) and taking off.

My favorite part was destroying the high value target in Parker by blowing up the tower next to it (a medium value target) and having it fall on the high value target.  Good times.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2009, 04:11:46 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on June 08, 2009, 03:49:52 PM

My favorite part was destroying the high value target in Parker by blowing up the tower next to it (a medium value target) and having it fall on the high value target.  Good times.

That's brilliant, I didn't think of that.  Of course, I took out the towers by pitching bombs over the wall, running away, and then blowing the towers when I was a ways off, so they wound up falling toward where I was.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2009, 04:19:05 PM »

Ceekay, if morale is high enough in your area, other guerrillas will show up at any firefight you're involved in, usually in cars. That's probably what happened when those cars destroyed the building you were rescuing hostages from.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2009, 04:23:26 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 08, 2009, 03:04:08 PM

Quote from: Eightball on June 08, 2009, 02:29:56 PM

I've used that one in multiplayer and didn't like it as much because it was so slow to shoot.  If you miss your first shot then you are practically screwed.  With the Enforcer I can just hold the trigger down until they quit twitching. Tongue

I use the Enforcer now too...there is always plenty of ammo around for it slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2009, 04:24:12 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on June 08, 2009, 04:19:05 PM

Ceekay, if morale is high enough in your area, other guerrillas will show up at any firefight you're involved in, usually in cars. That's probably what happened when those cars destroyed the building you were rescuing hostages from.

gah, if that's the kind of help their giving I might just have to blow up a few miners to lower morale.  I just started Dust though, so morale shouldn't be that high yet though.  I wish there had been a way to capture a video of it- now that I've had time to cool off the image of the trucks coming in at full speed, jumping in the air and smashing into the building makes me chuckle. I swear, it was like an EDF guy with a detour sign stood out on the road and redirected traffic right at me.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2009, 08:15:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 08, 2009, 04:24:12 PM

gah, if that's the kind of help their giving I might just have to blow up a few miners to lower morale.  I just started Dust though, so morale shouldn't be that high yet though.  I wish there had been a way to capture a video of it- now that I've had time to cool off the image of the trucks coming in at full speed, jumping in the air and smashing into the building makes me chuckle. I swear, it was like an EDF guy with a detour sign stood out on the road and redirected traffic right at me.

That same thing has happened to me a couple times, and one time the guy just came barreling through the wall and smashed an EDF vehicle and me right into my target building.  The funny thing was that it was the last straw and the building came down, but I was already dead and had to restart.

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2009, 08:58:44 PM »

I struggle with the freakin' safe house missions - getting the morons to the cars before being overwhelmed.  Ugh.

The sound in the game is great, though.  I was taking down a building and had set off three bombs taking out three of the five supports.  Then a buttload of EDF guys show up so I jump behind the remains of an interior building wall for cover.  As the soldiers shoot at me I hear creak, creak, pop, crash, crash and see the wall in front of me start to buckle.  I tried to get out the back but still got caught in the building collapse.  Back to the safe house for me.

Good times, though.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2009, 09:01:18 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 08, 2009, 04:24:12 PM

LOL! Its unscripted events like that that makes a game great IMO :-) Just need to get over my Sacred2 addiction, and I'll be playing this

A new one
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2009, 06:57:19 AM »

through almost 15 hours and i have yet to find a black hole bomb.  used a few moabs though, and damn aren't they nice.  hard to use effectively though as you rarely have a high value target you can get to before taking too much damage.  knocked out most of one base and then a group of vehicle depots with them.  too bad the dumb things spawn as soon as you find the 3rd beacon and that you can't store them up in the base.  would have been handy to use on the bridge.

i took out the big one in the badlands with a mech i found in a mission.  found two so far, but lost the 2nd one when i retried a side mission.  if you get one, don't retry any of those random calls for help or you won't spawn near it the next time.  stupidly lost it when i went to take out a new rocket tank.  now i need to get my hands on that baby.  looks like a lot of fun. 

and btw, if you like the rocket launcher, wait til you get it's big brother.  it levels medium-to-large buildings in two hits.  one if you get a lucky shot.   icon_twisted

still love the regular rpg though, especially with the 3 way shot.  took out the main edf base in badlands with it. 

one major note iff you are going for the 104 guerrilla missions achievement.  make sure you do the random "call for help" missions before you clear the sector as they do not respawn ater you take the .  same goes for the raids and house arrest missions.  demo and race missions stay though.

~15 hours in and close to clearing the 2nd to last sector (i hope).  still haven't seen every weapon though.  and i bought every one except the grinder.  arc welder is your friend if you can get up close to a tank though. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2009, 09:34:24 AM »

the thread on Qt3 says that the guerilla missions become available again after you beat the game.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2009, 02:39:05 PM »

Upon careful review of Red Faction: Guerrilla's play mechanics experienced through the liberation of the Badlands sector, it is my considered opinion that this game is fucking awesome.

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2009, 02:41:12 PM »

I just realized you can crack open those black rock formations for salvage, good thing I'm still i Dust so I don't have to go too far back looking for them because I really need the salvage- it seems like I'm always struggling to get even 200 pireces for the basic upgrades.

last night I accidentally drove a truck through the bottom of a bridge when I misjudged the turning rate of it when trying to make a quick turn up an incline.  took the whole thing out- hopefully I won't need to quickly travel that way for a mission.

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2009, 02:47:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 09, 2009, 02:41:12 PM

I just realized you can crack open those black rock formations for salvage, good thing I'm still i Dust so I don't have to go too far back looking for them because I really need the salvage- it seems like I'm always struggling to get even 200 pireces for the basic upgrades.

If you haven't picked it up yet, there's an upgrade that increases the amount of salvage you get from mining ore.  Every little bit helps!

Is there going to be a GT / OO multiplayer night for this game?

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2009, 02:54:54 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 09, 2009, 02:47:38 PM

If you haven't picked it up yet, there's an upgrade that increases the amount of salvage you get from mining ore.  Every little bit helps!

yeah, I got that and the salvage magnet for the vehicles.  I wish they had a personal magnet where I could collect all the nearby salvage by hitting a button.

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2009, 04:04:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 09, 2009, 02:54:54 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 09, 2009, 02:47:38 PM

yeah, I got that and the salvage magnet for the vehicles.  I wish they had a personal magnet where I could collect all the nearby salvage by hitting a button.

Well, I wish there was an instant replay and "Upload Video to Internet" feature so I could show everyone that time I used the Nano Disassembler Rifle to melt away the key support struts of the Harrington Memorial Bridge just in time for the EDF supply convoy above to come crashing down onto the soldiers trying to kill me.

Or the Demolitions Master mission in the borehole that I passed by accidentally using the Light Walker to headbutt the reinforced piping on the way up, barely staggering to safety as the whole place came crashing down beneath my feet.

Or the time I rescued all the hostages from a House Arrest mission by using a series of pre-planted remote charges -- and a taxi cab equipped with a MOAB -- to vaporize an entire town center and cover our escape.

This isn't because I'm really good at Red Faction: Guerrilla; this game just has a ridiculously high "Did you just see that?!"-per-hour ratio and it deserves to be shared with the world.

-Autistic Angel
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2009, 04:36:15 PM »

Yep, i love all the crazy shit you just make up and do as you go on these missions:)

I loved an anti-snipers mission where instead of counter sniping or using the railgun, i infiltrated the building, planted remote charges on the cieling underneath the floor where the various snipers were positioned (used railgun scope to ID their locations and then killed them all at once by exploding the floors under their feet:)

They never saw it coming:)

I also loved the demo challenge where you get one propane tank and a pistol with 3 bullets to take down a tower:)  That was a challenge, but it was just frickin awesome when i got it:)

On the other hand, i am having one MAJOR problem in game.  Finding the radio tags to unlock the ultor era bombs...  REALLY huge problem because i've gone all over the place offroading searching everywhere i can find and I have only found one tag from back very early in the game.  I'm highly frustrated with this issue and I want the big ultor weapons.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2009, 04:46:13 PM »

I've found 2 tags so far- the one at he very beginnng and another in Dust when I was fleeing for my life under a red alert level.

Because I can,
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2009, 04:56:26 PM »

Well, I just received a surprise copy in the mail from a generous forum member.  icon_eek  I guess online MP just isn't the same without the ability to kill the fabulous one.  Fabulous

No matter how great we think this community is, someone always manages to set the bar even higher with their generosity, compassion, and thoughtfulness.  And I'm fortunate enough to not only be friends with various folks online, but also in real life.  Even though things haven't been so fabulous lately with unemployment and illness, gestures like this help to reiterate that there is so much more to life, and I'm not talking about a new game, but about a good friend who no matter where he is or what he's doing his friends are always in his thoughts.    

Now who wants to blow shit up in online MP?  Because the fabulous one has a giant pink bullseye on his perfectly formed posterior waiting to see if anyone can hit it.  Assuming you aren't dazzled by its perfection.  Fabulous  

Thanks buddy.  I'm looking forward to killing your ass.   icon_wink

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2009, 04:58:33 PM »

The forum effect really has me looking hard at this one.  I guess I'll have to go home and play the demos that I downloaded and see if I love it as much as everyone here.

And with the thought of capping Pete without having to wait for Veteran's Day...

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2009, 05:17:59 PM »

Pete, I look forward to see you online as well. Maybe a "Geezers gone Wild reunion tour"?

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2009, 05:40:35 PM »

Damn the forum effect!
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2009, 05:48:57 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 09, 2009, 05:17:59 PM

Pete, I look forward to see you online as well. Maybe a "Geezers gone Wild reunion tour"?

Based on Autistic Angel's suggestion, I was thinking about organizing a "Geezers Gone Guerilla" night.   icon_cool

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2009, 06:07:49 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 09, 2009, 05:48:57 PM

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 09, 2009, 05:17:59 PM

Based on Autistic Angel's suggestion, I was thinking about organizing a "Geezers Gone Guerilla" night.   icon_cool

I hope they never come out with Red Faction Commando.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2009, 06:21:27 PM »

I'm already doing that.

Anyways, it's been far too long since I've fragged the brown man. Count me in  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: