http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 02:27:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Red Faction: Guerrilla demo is out!  (Read 1258 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2009, 07:43:25 PM »

Here's Major Nelson's announcement.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 02:37:46 PM »

I'm surprised no one's commenting on this.  I guess RF2 wasn't that great.  I know I didn't have high hopes for this one, but after playing the demo, I have to say it looks like I'm IN.  Blowing every single thing to hell is incredible fun, but more, it feels like it serves a purpose.  You can knock shit down to take out enemies standing on them or under them or heading toward them to block their path.  You can also collect salvage when you knock stuff down (not sure what that's for yet, but I imagine it's for buying stuff).  And you can take down propaganda or hurt the enemy property.  Given the open world setting (nice reveal of that in the demo's closing vid, IMO), it seems like this will have some effect on enemy supplies, though that's just a guess.

The demo was brief, but there really was a sense that you could get the first part done in a number of different ways, not just in the route to the building where the objective was hiding, but even in getting inside that building (I hijacked an APC-like thing and crashed through the large door).  Piloting the mech was cool in a let's-see-what-we-can-destroy kind of way.  The on-rails exit was probably the least interesting, but it was still fun and was where I took out the most propaganda and enemy property.

Demo was shortish, but when you realize that the full game will have that times 120, plus plenty of just wandering around, doing what you want to do, it makes the game seem very appealing.

While I'm pleased that they ramped up the promise of the original's destroy everything mentality (which was never fully realized), I'm even happier that the story seems to have received attention as well.  Maybe it's just the voiceover (that seems to have been done by the late Don LaFontaine) that elevates it, but there seems to be some high production value there (if a little too much screen-tear in the intro video).

I had a lot of fun with this demo and am looking forward to seeing if the full game lives up to the potential established here.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 02:44:40 PM »

I really enjoyed it when I played through the first ~40% or so of it.  I'm looking forward to it myself. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 02:49:48 PM »

I had a blast with the demo. Must have played it like 20 times or so. Just wish it didn't have that 10 min timer. I really hope the full game doesn't have timed missions.

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 02:56:42 PM »

Quote from: Vindel on April 24, 2009, 02:49:48 PM

I had a blast with the demo. Must have played it like 20 times or so. Just wish it didn't have that 10 min timer. I really hope the full game doesn't have timed missions.

Yeah, I forgot about the timer.  It seemed to disappear after a bit, so I'm not sure what that was about.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 03:10:40 PM »

I guess I already commented in the thread with the "early-preview" demo code thing, but I had fun and I think I will be picking this up when it comes out.  I'd still like to try a PC demo, though, to judge the differences and see how it plays there.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 03:12:28 PM »

I've seen a little bit of this on X-Play but couldn't get a complete handle on it. Does it sort of work like Mercenaries, but on another planet?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 05:07:45 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 24, 2009, 03:12:28 PM

I've seen a little bit of this on X-Play but couldn't get a complete handle on it. Does it sort of work like Mercenaries, but on another planet?

I only played the demo for Merc's 2, so I can't comment on how similar it is. But at least based upon playing both demos, The gameplay mechanic for controlling weapons and shooting IMO seems much better in RFG. The setting, like the sequels, is a terraformed planet Mars.
I really liked the demo and agree with others that demolitions are excellent in the game. I agree with Bullwinkle that this game looks to have high production values, complete with a decent story. I've been playing RF2 recently and I think I enjoyed the few minutes I spent in this demo more than any moment in the sequel. I wasn't planning on buying it day 1, but the demo may have changed my mind on that.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 06:00:19 PM »

This video shows off some of the more advanced weapons.  Yes please!.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 06:12:39 PM »

I may not have been following it too much, but I was planning to buy it.  I don't know what pushed me over, but I think it was good production values combined with good tech.  Also in videos I watched where they showed the shooting, it looked like the core shooting pacing and mechanics were solid.  So add on top of a good base 3PS the destruction technology and open world, and the game looks fun enough to buy.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 07:55:52 PM »

After the demo I went from zero interest to first day purchase. Looking forward to it coming out now.

The only minor complaint I did have was not being able to zoom with the left trigger (it was mapped to the right stick). I didn't look but is that something you can change?
Wheelman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 04:22:34 AM »

It's the second control scheme (alternate 1 I think)
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 02:45:27 AM »

According to Major Nelson the multiplayer demo is now available on Xbox Live.  It is supposed to contain the Damage Control game mode, where you try to capture points by destroying and rebuilding them for your team.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 12:37:15 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 22, 2009, 02:45:27 AM

According to Major Nelson the multiplayer demo is now available on Xbox Live.  It is supposed to contain the Damage Control game mode, where you try to capture points by destroying and rebuilding them for your team.

That came up yesterday morning, I think.  It's an interesting mode, but rebuilding structures is really just capturing a flag in a control zone.  However, you can also rebuild defences around said structure that you had to knock down to get to it. 

I had fun playing it, but I never got fully into it.  It took me a little too long to figure out how to rebuild things (the icon for it looked greyed out), and I never took anyone out (I did get killed a bunch of times, though). Those are more my faults than the fault of the game.  Somehow, the MP didn't grab me as much as the SP did.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 10:30:32 PM »

IGN just gave the full game an 8.0.

Closing Comments
If all you care about is blasting things to pieces, youíre going to love Red Faction: Guerrilla. Seeing a tower topple to the ground in a seemingly realistic fashion after smacking away its support beams with a sledgehammer is really a thrill, and though it may lose its appeal as you continue through the lengthy campaign, itís still worth checking out, particularly after you unlock some of the better weapons. Whatís more disappointing about Volitionís effort is the rocky mission design, bland artistic style, weak plot and anemic character development, which shifts too much focus to the element of destruction to maintain a level of excitement. Its enjoyable gunplay mechanics along with the weapons and opportunity for tearing apart structures carry over into the online space, where Volition has built an impressive multiplayer suite that includes stat tracking, unlocks, and a number of game modes that focus on flattening buildings. While the game may not do everything right, itís your best bet for free-form demolition and unpretentious entertainment.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 03:00:37 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 28, 2009, 10:30:32 PM

Closing Comments
If all you care about is blasting things to pieces, youíre going to love Red Faction: Guerrilla. Seeing a tower topple to the ground in a seemingly realistic fashion after smacking away its support beams with a sledgehammer is really a thrill, and though it may lose its appeal as you continue through the lengthy campaign, itís still worth checking out, particularly after you unlock some of the better weapons. Whatís more disappointing about Volitionís effort is the rocky mission design, bland artistic style, weak plot and anemic character development, which shifts too much focus to the element of destruction to maintain a level of excitement. Its enjoyable gunplay mechanics along with the weapons and opportunity for tearing apart structures carry over into the online space, where Volition has built an impressive multiplayer suite that includes stat tracking, unlocks, and a number of game modes that focus on flattening buildings. While the game may not do everything right, itís your best bet for free-form demolition and unpretentious entertainment.

Sounds good to me! I'm in!

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 07:09:15 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 29, 2009, 03:00:37 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 28, 2009, 10:30:32 PM

Closing Comments

Sounds good to me! I'm in!

Day 1 for me....i'm buyin this one.  Demo showed good enough action to keep me interested for quite a while what with all the free form demolition.  And demolition multiplayer modes sounds like something new and fun.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 09:52:54 PM »

GameRanking's average for the game is now 89%, which sounds good to me.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: