http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 07:56:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Rainbow 6: Vegas Impressions.  (Read 8972 times)
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2006, 09:51:46 PM »

Now that I'm back from the holiday travels, I'm going to try and be on tonight with either this or GoW.  Hopefully there's some co-op going on for R6.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2006, 11:05:22 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 26, 2006, 09:23:58 PM

AAARRRGHHH!!!  Hulk smash!

Went through the campaign on Realistic to get the Rainbow Legend achievement.  Finished it.... no achievement.  FInished it by doing something I didn't realize could be done the first couple of times... no achivement.  This makes me really really upset.

Or at least frustrated.

edit: of course there's also the alternative that despite what I thought I did, it wasn't set to realistic.  Which is still annoying.  Guess I'll have to run through it again one more time to make sure.
What was it you thought you did? I tried a trick that didnt work, let me know what you did and maybe we can figure it out.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2006, 11:19:29 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Well I found out that you can actually shoot the chopper with Gaberiel down.  Not sure if you have to do so, it only seems to change one line of dialogue.

Still not sure if the difficulty got switched somehow when loading.  <sigh>  Hard to tell since it doesn't tell you the difficulty anywhere that I am aware of.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2006, 11:45:19 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 26, 2006, 11:19:29 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Well I found out that you can actually shoot the chopper with Gaberiel down.  Not sure if you have to do so, it only seems to change one line of dialogue.

Still not sure if the difficulty got switched somehow when loading.  <sigh>  Hard to tell since it doesn't tell you the difficulty anywhere that I am aware of.
Ok I didn't know that-but why would that actually help/change the victory conditions. I thought you
Spoiler for Hiden:
played the last level or the last chapter on realistic and thought that would unlock it
Have you played through the entire thing on realistic and its not giving you that achievement?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2006, 09:26:55 AM »

How would you compare this game to say, GRAW?  GRAW was great at first to me, but after a short time its flaws overcame the flashy graphics.  Now that I'm not so wowed by graphics, I'm wary of this new R6 because it looks so similar to GRAW.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2006, 12:00:59 PM »

Calvin: Nope, I played through the whole thing.  I've started again.  This time I know for a fact that I started on realistic (95% sure that was true the last time) and we'll see what happens.  I played some T-hunts that might have been normal difficulty.  So it is possible that somehow that changed the difficulty setting if it's global.

Edit: It appears if you exit to the main menu, or turn off the 360, it resets the difficulty to normal.  Now I'm curious if it is possible to use the chapter selection to get the achievement without going through the whole game in one sitting.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 12:18:09 PM by Jarrodhk » Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2006, 08:10:17 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 27, 2006, 12:00:59 PM

Calvin: Nope, I played through the whole thing.  I've started again.  This time I know for a fact that I started on realistic (95% sure that was true the last time) and we'll see what happens.  I played some T-hunts that might have been normal difficulty.  So it is possible that somehow that changed the difficulty setting if it's global.

Edit: It appears if you exit to the main menu, or turn off the 360, it resets the difficulty to normal.  Now I'm curious if it is possible to use the chapter selection to get the achievement without going through the whole game in one sitting.
jesus you must be much better than I. It took me like 1.5 hours alone to finish the last mission on realistic, I cant imagine just blowing through the whole game in one sitting!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2006, 08:28:08 PM »

achievements are overrated slywink  you guys need to get in our team mp games  ninja Retrieval mode is great fun.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2006, 08:30:26 PM »

Yeah... I need to join you guys!  If I could just tear myself away from basketball, which at the moment is impossible. 

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2006, 08:50:10 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 27, 2006, 08:28:08 PM

achievements are overrated slywink  you guys need to get in our team mp games  ninja Retrieval mode is great fun.

If we can ever play some Attack and Defend, I will be there tonight smile I can get the hostage and bomb achievements with you guys biggrin
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2006, 08:56:44 PM »

I really can't wait to play this game, and I'd love to pick it up on my way home from work today, but with Christmas coming up my wife has asked me to place a hold on any game purchases for now because many will find their way under the Christmas tree (including the collector's edition of Rainbow Six Vegas  ninja), so I won't be joining all of you online until after the Christmas holiday.  Vegas has been my most anticipated title ever since its announcement, but my wife has asked me to hold off so that relatives are able to get me something I actually want for Christmas.  You're all not making it very easy to be patient.   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2006, 08:58:59 PM »

I've stopped playing attack and defend until they fix the bomb glitch.  To get the achievement though you can make a two player game and have the other player do nothing.  This is part of why achievements are overrated slywink  They are either too easy, too hard, or require you to play with a certain way.  (like ranked matches which means I can't play with friends which is why I bought the game in the first place heh)

Retrieval mode is more fun than Attack and Defend in my opinion because both teams get to attack and defend.  It has quite a flow back and forth and with large enough teams you can get some real strategies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2006, 08:59:37 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 27, 2006, 08:56:44 PM

I really can't wait to play this game, and I'd love to pick it up on my way home from work today, but with Christmas coming up my wife has asked me to place a hold on any game purchases for now because many will find their way under the Christmas tree (including the collector's edition of Rainbow Six Vegas  ninja), so I won't be joining all of you online until after the Christmas holiday.

Good luck!  Online for most 360 games has a shelf life of, what, 2-3 weeks?  Beginning of November and everyone was lplaying Gears. Before that it was Splinter Cell. Now it's R6.  Though I guess it helps that there don't seem to be any other high profile online games coming to 360 before that. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2006, 09:00:59 PM »

I really can't wait to play this game, and I'd love to pick it up on my way home from work today, but with Christmas coming up my wife has asked me to place a hold on any game purchases for now because many will find their way under the Christmas tree (including the collector's edition of Rainbow Six Vegas  ninja), so I won't be joining all of you online until after the Christmas holiday.  Vegas has been my most anticipated title ever since its announcement, but my wife has asked me to hold off so that relatives are able to get me something I actually want for Christmas.  You're all not making it very easy to be patient.   

Unlike what happened with GRAW, I definitely think I'll be playing R6 for a long time as long as you guys are willing to play.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2006, 09:04:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 27, 2006, 08:59:37 PM

I really can't wait to play this game, and I'd love to pick it up on my way home from work today, but with Christmas coming up my wife has asked me to place a hold on any game purchases for now because many will find their way under the Christmas tree (including the collector's edition of Rainbow Six Vegas  ninja), so I won't be joining all of you online until after the Christmas holiday.

Good luck!  Online for most 360 games has a shelf life of, what, 2-3 weeks?  Beginning of November and everyone was lplaying Gears. Before that it was Splinter Cell. Now it's R6.  Though I guess it helps that there don't seem to be any other high profile online games coming to 360 before that. 

I've always been behind the curve.  I picked up Ghost Recon long after its initial popularity had waned, but I have still been able to play a fair bit of multiplayer and continue to play today, and even though Splinter Cell's multiplayer popularity has passed, I'm still able to organize a game from time to time with those who don't completely play out a game in only a week's time, so I'm confident that while many of the OO and GT population will have moved on by the time I've received the game, there will still be some willing to join me in an online multiplayer game.  And, I've always loved the Rainbow Six single-player campaign, so the game won't be completely obsolete.  It may not be as popular, but there are many on my friends list who will still be willing to play once I finally get the game.  

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2006, 09:37:17 PM »

Oh I'll still be playing R6 after christmas.  I'll still be playinig Gears as well I suspect.  I'd still play graw, but I think R6 trumps it in multi overall.

One sitting?  Probably not on realistic, part of why I got through the second time so fast was that most of it was no longer on realistic.  Kinda a blow to my ego since I thought I was just doing that much better.

The some of the multiplayer achievemnets lead themselves to easy cheezing of them, but most, like the co-op story and co-op terrorist hunt ones require you to play through.  Either way I'm not specifically playing for the achievements (well... maybe the rainbow legend one) they just add a little to the fun.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2006, 10:39:11 PM »

I agree.  GRAW multiplayer certainly is great, but RB6 just improved on it enough to edge it out.  My only gripe, and I know I've said this earlier, is that I wish the terrorist hunt missions would randomly pre-populate the levels instead of relying on triggers to spawn the enemies 10 feet from you.  I was playing split screen last night and we ended up walking around the map near the end for about 5 minutes just looking for a trigger we hadn't alread tripped to get the last few terrorists.

But I can foresee playing this one, GoW and SP: DA for quite some time.  There really aren't any other games coming out for the next couple months that I'm interested in.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2006, 11:32:27 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on November 27, 2006, 10:39:11 PM

I agree.  GRAW multiplayer certainly is great, but RB6 just improved on it enough to edge it out.  My only gripe, and I know I've said this earlier, is that I wish the terrorist hunt missions would randomly pre-populate the levels instead of relying on triggers to spawn the enemies 10 feet from you.  I was playing split screen last night and we ended up walking around the map near the end for about 5 minutes just looking for a trigger we hadn't alread tripped to get the last few terrorists.

But I can foresee playing this one, GoW and SP: DA for quite some time.  There really aren't any other games coming out for the next couple months that I'm interested in.

I'm just hoping to find more like you who are interested in continuing to play games like Splinter Cell.  If we could get a group of six people together like we have for Gears of War, I think it would be a hell of a good time in Splinter Cell. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2006, 04:23:15 PM »

You know what this game needs from Gears of War?  A melee attack option and the roadie run.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2006, 06:33:59 PM »

Agreed on both accounts.  Melee would be really nice for when people rush up into doorways.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2006, 07:59:30 PM »

So, wait... it's basically impossible to play the game through on realistic unless you do it all at a single sitting?

That's a pretty surprisingly significant bug, and probably a purchase-killer for me until they fix it.  Surprised I hadn't heard about it elsewhere.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2006, 08:16:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 28, 2006, 04:23:15 PM

You know what this game needs from Gears of War?  A melee attack option and the roadie run.

It absolutely does.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2006, 08:30:50 PM »

I think if you're buying this game for the single player alone you're probably making a mistake.  If you like multi the bug won't even affect you.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2006, 08:39:19 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 28, 2006, 08:30:50 PM

I think if you're buying this game for the single player alone you're probably making a mistake.  If you like multi the bug won't even affect you.

I like multi, make no mistake.  But I *also* like SP, and as someone who basically wants the experience to be closer to the original R6 games, the SP is basically a distraction without realistic mode.  Right now, I want it for 2 reasons and they're only giving me 1.

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2006, 11:18:58 PM »

I got my copy today.  If the gods of luck cooperate, I'll be able to play tonight.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2006, 01:42:34 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 28, 2006, 08:30:50 PM

Well I'm a huge fan of the single player portion and it's always been the primary reason why I buy the RB/GRAW/SC games.  Of course I am having a blast with the multi, but the single play portion would've been worth it alone for me.  However, the bug really hasn't affected me because I always play through on the easier level first and then go back through on the harder one(s).  I like these games so much that I want to get every last ounce out of them.  But they'd better patch it!   icon_biggrin
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2006, 12:30:44 AM »

Supposed to be a patch coming soon (possibly friday) that is supposed to address a lot of the bugs and stability issues.  Here's hoping!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2006, 04:04:42 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 30, 2006, 12:30:44 AM

Supposed to be a patch coming soon (possibly friday) that is supposed to address a lot of the bugs and stability issues.  Here's hoping!

That would be great-looking forward to a changelog.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2006, 08:24:14 AM »

To Papa Smurff:

Sorry you seemed to be a magnet for my bullets last night.  It was weird, no matter what I'd only get one kill per round and it would somehow end up being you  saywhat  At least towards the end it seemed like things were balancing out, but I wasn't singling you out on purpose.

Because I can,
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2006, 09:00:34 PM »

My first gripe (I've had the game 2 days) is regarding the mine sequence in the first mission.

In the context of what happened (without spoiling anything), it still doesn't make sense to me that I still have the weapon that I do.  And it's silencer.

But ok.

That's not my gripe.  I just find it a bit..odd.

My gripe is that for that sequence, you pretty much need to just keep going by trial and error until you know where each of the bad guys will be until the next checkpoint.  You can't stealth it (I tried).  You can't rambo it (I tried).  You pretty much have to know where the guys will be and then be prepared to shoot them immediately.  Even in the darkness, they have exceptional aim.  Perhaps they have access to some night-vision/thermal equipment that I was not privy to.

I'd say it took me at least 15 tries to get through that one sequence.

In doing so, I got the pistoleer achievement (150 kills by pistol).  That just seems ridiculous.

I'm spec ops.  I have all kinds of cool equipment at my disposal.  All I wanted was to be able to see the guys and be able to shoot from cover.  Actually, the best trick was to get shot just a little, and the darkness would lift and you could see where the guy was and fire back quickly.  But if you weren't quick enough..you're starting over again.

After that one section, even though you still had the same limitations, the rest of the level was a cakewalk.  Access to weapons with scopes and automatic fire makes a world of difference.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 09:02:09 PM by DonD » Logged

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2006, 09:04:44 PM »

Quote from: DonD on November 30, 2006, 09:00:34 PM

My first gripe (I've had the game 2 days) is regarding the mine sequence in the first mission.

In the context of what happened (without spoiling anything), it still doesn't make sense to me that I still have the weapon that I do.  And it's silencer.

But ok.

My gripe is that for that sequence, you pretty much need to just keep going by trial and error until you know where each of the bad guys will be until the next checkpoint.  You can't stealth it (I tried).  You can't rambo it (I tried).  You pretty much have to know where the guys will be and then be prepared to shoot them immediately.  Even in the darkness, they have exceptional aim.  Perhaps they have access to some night-vision/thermal equipment that I was not privy to.

In doing so, I got the pistoleer achievement (150 kills by pistol).  That just seems ridiculous.

I'm spec ops.  I have all kinds of cool equipment at my disposal.  All I wanted was to be able to see the guys and be able to shoot from cover.  Actually, the best trick was to get shot just a little, and the darkness would lift and you could see where the guy was and fire back quickly.  But if you weren't quick enough..you're starting over again.

After that one section, even though you still had the same limitations, the rest of the level was a cakewalk.  Access to weapons with scopes and automatic fire makes a world of difference.
Wait, you didn't pick up a shotgun? You're a tough MFer!

PSN ID: EduardoX
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2006, 09:28:26 PM »

I did, but found it was not an improvement over the pistol.

The ability to snap off 5-6 shots in the same time it took to fire 1 shotgun round and chamber the next gave the edge to rapid pistol firing.

I tried the shotgun and it just didn't do it for me.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2006, 09:35:04 PM »

I thought that part was too easy myself.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2006, 09:39:20 PM »

Don... not one sentence about how fun it was to play co-op mp with Lockdown? 

I'm hurt.  Truly...

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2006, 09:42:56 PM »

Quote from: DonD on November 30, 2006, 09:00:34 PM

But ok.

I agree with you, Don.  I had to replay that sequence several times, with my knowledge of what was coming allowing me to get a little further the next time.  Of course, I had a similar issue with the sequence just before that.  What's bugging me more than anything is the sudden loss of save anywhere.  The Clancy games were finally making the right steps in that arena, IMO, and now between GRAW and R6, they've stepped back.  I died in stupid ways right before getting to the mine and had to replay the whole level again.  And the level was just long enough to make that supremely annoying.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2006, 09:43:56 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 30, 2006, 09:35:04 PM

I thought that part was too easy myself.

Figures.

Coop was fun, LD.  You heard it live.  No need to make the other peeps here jealous.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2006, 10:30:11 PM »

I don't really remember having any problems going through it either. Aim for the upper chest/neck area with the shotgun and it works pretty well at longer distances than you expect it to.

You got a solid hit to the chest plus the shot spread on the shotgun might even put some into their head. Works great.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2006, 12:31:10 AM »

Quote from: DonD on November 30, 2006, 09:28:26 PM

I did, but found it was not an improvement over the pistol.

The ability to snap off 5-6 shots in the same time it took to fire 1 shotgun round and chamber the next gave the edge to rapid pistol firing.

I tried the shotgun and it just didn't do it for me.

Me too.  I just ended up using the pistol through the whole mission (after trying several times with the shotgun).

Because I can,
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2006, 01:12:00 AM »

anyone have any tips for the following part in the SP campaign:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Dante's theater where you have to protect and hack the computer, this is kicking my ass.  the computer gets destroyed really quickly, I was wondering if there was some  trick to this part or something
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2006, 04:51:01 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on December 01, 2006, 01:12:00 AM

anyone have any tips for the following part in the SP campaign:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Dante's theater where you have to protect and hack the computer, this is kicking my ass.  the computer gets destroyed really quickly, I was wondering if there was some  trick to this part or something

I just manned that stationary machine gun on the right side of the stage. I beat it the first time, then died immediately after. Then I lost the second two tries, and won again on the third and finished the level. It was probably one of the only really frustrating sections of the game that I encountered.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: