http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 01:58:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Project Sylpheed Impression  (Read 778 times)
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2007, 04:46:56 PM »

Per request from Purge:

I picked this up based on the demo, and after having played the Ace Combat 6 demo I was really wanting a fast paced arcadey space combat game.

For me the game really delivers.  It feels like an early wing commander game with aspects of anime space combat thrown in (ala Robotech, minus the ability to transform.) 

Gameplay:
The controls can take a bit of getting used to.  I ended up switching to the 'professional' controls that put yaw on the triggers and the weapons on RB and LB.  Speed is controlled through A and X.  You can configure things to your preference from what I could see.  Once you get the feel for the controls it is easy to fly through the levels barrel rolling, flipping 180 degree turns, afterburner slide, all while spitting out bullets, missiles, and lasers at multiple targets.

You can padlock onto targets, and something that I just found out reading some forums, actually lock and fire weapons that have the 'sight homing' ability.  This allows for some really nice maneuvers to be pulled.

Capital ships have turrets, main guns, shield generators, engines, and bridges that can be blown off to make killing them easier for you or your allies.  Capital ships have shields that protect them from energy weapons, which are the main attack of other capital ships.  The shields do not stop missiles or projectiles, however.

The action is very fast paced... actually, more like frantic most of the time.  You have the ability to sacrifice varying amounts of shield power to pull off a berserk attack, a ramming attack, and a slow time ability that comes in very handy versus the elite squadrons you face.  Trying to take out attacking bombers and fighters while still killing enemy capital ships is very (frustrating at times) fun.

Story:
The story is nothing spectacular, but I enjoyed the cut-scenes.  I did develop some feelings for the other members of my squad and various other characters. (particularly a certain admiral that I would have happily shot down myself given the opportunity).  Apparently there is a movie easter egg at the very end of the credits that I missed the first time; being impatient to start my second run through.

Replay/Length:
One of the drawbacks is that this is a game that is meant to be played through multiple times.  You won't be able to get access to some of the better weapons until late in the game or until a second/third time through.  Although it seems that you get more points (also used to unlock weapons) playing on Hard which I have not done yet. 

There are 16 missions in the campaign.  Some of them are really long, some are pretty short.  The longer ones have one or more breaks in them that you can continue from if you goof up.  However, if you choose to retry from one of those points as opposed to starting the mission from scratch, the game only counts kills/points from where you restarted.  I had a lot of problems with one of the missions the first time through, and in fact after failing the section three times it started giving me the option to skip the mission entirely, which I eventually did.  Got through it the second time through, but will try again to get a couple of the sub mission goals and an achievement.

My recorded flight time for the first run was right around 5 hours.  That doesn't count time spent outfitting my fighter between missions and tries at missions, or the time spent retrying various sections.

There is a challenge mode of some sort available for download on the Japanese marketplace which is rumored to be coming to the US marketplace at some point.  I am not sure what exactly this is, I would hope something like the gauntlet mode the wing commanders had.

Achievements:
There are a fair variety of achievements.  24 total, some are gotten as you progress through the story, others require some very specific goals to be accomplished.  The game tracks the total tonnage and number of Warships/fighters/bombers you destroy, and there are achievements for 100 warships destroyed, 1000 units destroyed, 10,000 units destroyed, and for destroying 1 GIGAton worth of tonnage.  That last one is going to take a while.  If you load a completed save when you start the campaign over it keeps all of your stats to date.

Multiplayer:
None. 

Summed up:

I love the game.  If you like arcade space combat games with some sim-like features thrown in, you should like this game.  If you think you will only play it through once or twice, I would recommend a rental.  If you really love the genre and loved the demo the price tag of 40 dollars is a nice deal.  Plus with the short length it is likely that there will be used copies showing up for sale or trade fairly quickly.

As always, if you have any questions feel free to ask.  I know that I saw Dreamshadow and a couple of others on my friends list with the game, so they can jump in for things I have missed.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 02:26:54 AM by Jarrodhk » Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 06:42:31 PM »

Good impressions.

There's a funeral toward the beginning that reminded me a lot of the death sequence form the early (pre-FMV) Wing Commander games.  The shot looks the same as the one from my memory.

I also like this game a lot, but the long missions may be a bit more than I'm looking for in a game like this. 

The mayhem is helped considerably by the optional "Preferred Next Target" arrows (kind of a double chevron deal).  I never would have found the missiles in the first mission without them, for example.  I hope those don't go away.

The story feels a little more ever-present than in most space flight sims I've played.  Cheesy or not, that's a good thing in my book. 

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 06:45:30 PM »

Oh it's only $40?  Might be worth it for that.

gellar
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 06:59:13 PM »

Yeah my one problem with the way I have the controls set up is that the targetting controls are on the Right of the D-pad instead of the A button.  Not as easy to do the closest target/turn to target with the D-pad.'

Mind you I got through the game completely without these things, but would probably have made a few portions a bit easier.  Of course if I'd bothered to go back to the manual and read the specific targetting commands it might have helped too.   ninja

Pikachu, I Blame you!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 07:39:45 PM »

Thanks for the impressions, I was really impressed with the demo and have been on the fence as to whether I should go and pick this up.  I think I'll keep an eye out for sales/trades.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 10:56:12 PM »

it came out a few weeks ago in the UK and it would of got picked up,but it came out the same day as the darkness,overlord etc so i may pick it up at the end of this month,seen as though not much is out this time

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 02:27:25 AM »

There is a DLC for the game now.  Adds 6 challenge missions and 6 new weapons along with Leaderboards.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: