http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 09:42:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Oblivion - GOLD - Ships/In Stores 3/20!!!  (Read 26862 times)
DragonKP
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 16, 2006, 03:51:02 AM »

Hetz! Your back!  biggrin

whoops, wrong forum!

Anyways, I called my local Gamestop where I preordered the PC CE and guide a few weeks ago. They told me they have the guide in and were planning on making the calls to those that preordered the guide tomorrow. I also asked them when I can expect to be able to pick the game up. The guy said "I think tuesday". He sounded kinda busy, so Im only taking that at face value. Personally, I wouldnt be suprized if it wasnt until Wed. Oh well.

Its funny, all those times you wish you could turn back time or pause. Now I want the fast forward button!!  :lol:
Sarkus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 16, 2006, 03:51:57 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Oh and I just got a call from my local Gamestop, confirming that I can come pick up Oblivion at 6PM on Monday! They say they had an overwhelming amount of preorders and they were going to be doing an "early release" like they do with Madden, GTA etc....  

Odd.  I was in mine today and they said it's still the 21st.   It depends on when stores are getting it, but if they all have it by Monday, then you would think they would all be doing it.  You would also think they would be promoting the idea to generate last minute pre-orders.  Here's hoping.

The hardest thing is going to be this weekend when the inevitable accidental broken street date scenario occurs and we have to listen to the random guys who wandered into a clueless Walmart or Circuit City and picked one up off the shelf.  When I worked at GameStop they always told us to let them know if we heard of a street date being broken but that never resulted in us being allowed to follow.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 16, 2006, 03:54:26 AM »

Quote from: "DragonKP"
Anyways, I called my local Gamestop where I preordered the PC CE and guide a few weeks ago. They told me they have the guide in and were planning on making the calls to those that preordered the guide tomorrow. I also asked them when I can expect to be able to pick the game up. The guy said "I think tuesday". He sounded kinda busy, so Im only taking that at face value. Personally, I wouldnt be suprized if it wasnt until Wed. Oh well.

It looks like Oblivion is a street dated item with product already beginning to arrive in stores.  As it stands the street date is Tuesday, so you can probably safely plan on it being available that day.  Most likely GameStop/EB will have it at open; I'm not sure how other retailers handle that.

- American Dad
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 16, 2006, 03:56:54 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
Oh and I just got a call from my local Gamestop, confirming that I can come pick up Oblivion at 6PM on Monday! They say they had an overwhelming amount of preorders and they were going to be doing an "early release" like they do with Madden, GTA etc....  

Odd.  I was in mine today and they said it's still the 21st.   It depends on when stores are getting it, but if they all have it by Monday, then you would think they would all be doing it.  You would also think they would be promoting the idea to generate last minute pre-orders.  Here's hoping.

The hardest thing is going to be this weekend when the inevitable accidental broken street date scenario occurs and we have to listen to the random guys who wandered into a clueless Walmart or Circuit City and picked one up off the shelf.  When I worked at GameStop they always told us to let them know if we heard of a street date being broken but that never resulted in us being allowed to follow.

I think it's on a store by store basis. They said they were doing it because of the large number of preorders they had for it. It all depends on the store.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 16, 2006, 03:59:17 AM »

Hetz! Your back!  biggrin

whoops, wrong forum!

Its funny, all those times you wish you could turn back time or pause. Now I want the fast forward button!!  :lol:

Good to see you here, DragonKP!  smile

Heh, yeah I really wish I had a fast-forward button to get through the rest of the week....

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 16, 2006, 04:02:24 AM »

It looks like Oblivion is a street dated item with product already beginning to arrive in stores.  As it stands the street date is Tuesday, so you can probably safely plan on it being available that day.  Most likely GameStop/EB will have it at open; I'm not sure how other retailers handle that.

Actually, the 20th is the street date since that is when it is shipping according to them. It can be sold anytime after that. So, on the 20th it can be sold. It's just most stores are not going to drive to pick it up early on Monday. So, it will be available on the 21st in most places.

FWIW, my Gamestop said they were driving down to the FedEX hub to pick up the game on Monday night (instead of waiting for it to be delivered to them on Tuesday Morning), so it sounds like it really might not be shipping until Monday.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 16, 2006, 04:28:35 AM »

Actually, the 20th is the street date since that is when it is shipping according to them. It can be sold anytime after that. So, on the 20th it can be sold. It's just most stores are not going to drive to pick it up early on Monday. So, it will be available on the 21st in most places.

FWIW, my Gamestop said they were driving down to the FedEX hub to pick up the game on Monday night (instead of waiting for it to be delivered to them on Tuesday Morning), so it sounds like it really might not be shipping until Monday.

Ok, that makes sense.  If the 20th is the street date then I can see that happening.  I wonder if my store will be doing that since they also have over 100 pre-orders?  Maybe I'll call the manager tomorrow and see.

- American Dad
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: March 16, 2006, 04:42:19 AM »

Welcome to the forums DragonKP.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
DragonKP
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 16, 2006, 05:01:02 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Welcome to the forums DragonKP.

Thanks bud  smile

I swear I joined up back when MW came out due to Hetz refering me to this site. Then again, that was along time ago  :wink:

Glad to be here!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 16, 2006, 05:35:54 AM »

Phew, I'm glad I actually gave into the MADCRAZYINSANE GameStop employees and preordered this one - looks like I'd be in trouble if I didn't!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: March 16, 2006, 06:45:46 AM »

I'm still quite glad I not only pre-ordered, but my store will sell regardless of street date.  So, if it does come in early, I'll be playing this weekend.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 16, 2006, 08:00:28 AM »

I still hate you guys :wink: . My PC needs work and I don`t have a 360 yet!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :x  :x  :x  :x !!! Hopefully soon enough I will, but until then...Grrrrrr. :wink:
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 16, 2006, 12:36:42 PM »

Just found this tidbit on Gaming Age:

EBs and Gamestops will have it on Monday. group manager goes and gets them from our shipment center near whatever the hell city, other managers go get it from their store. i guess it varies place to place as far as specifics, but the e-mail went out to the whole company. monday for sure.

Sounds like all EB's and Gamestops should be doing this on Monday. If yours is not, than they are going against the word from the head office....or nowhere near a shipping center.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 16, 2006, 12:54:16 PM »

I just did a GS search on the guide. It is now listed as shipping on the 20th and no store in a 200 mile radius has it...frown
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 16, 2006, 01:59:29 PM »

Quote from: "Punisher"
I just did a GS search on the guide. It is now listed as shipping on the 20th and no store in a 200 mile radius has it...frown

I just ordered it on the 13th from EBgames.com, using the 20% off Strat Guides coupon. It shipped on the 14th and I had it on the 15th. The website said it ships on the 16th (still does say it).

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 16, 2006, 02:32:47 PM »

Where did you get the coupon?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 16, 2006, 02:33:24 PM »

Quote from: "Punisher"
Where did you get the coupon?

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/default-assets/daily_deal/promoDetails.asp

20% off strategy guides! To receive your 20% off, add any strategy guide to your shopping cart and enter coupon code HB20. Limited time only. Subject to change. Limit of one offer per customer. Online offer only. No dealers.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 16, 2006, 04:16:38 PM »

Hetz:  Are there racial skill bonuses in Oblivion? Anyway you could paste them or point me to a link that has them?

Another guide question for you:  Do you have to take light or heavy armor to benefit from bound armor?  For example, if a mage wants to use conjuration to provide additional armor through the bound armor spells, do they have to already have those armor skills to get any benefit?  I'm hoping Conjuration would be a good alternative to a mage type character that doesn't use a major skill slot for armor.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 16, 2006, 04:37:15 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
Hetz:  Are there racial skill bonuses in Oblivion? Anyway you could paste them or point me to a link that has them?

Sure thing! Here is the list and a brief note about what the strat guide says about each race. The strat guide goes into way more detail.

Part 1 smile

Argonian: Alchemy +5, Athetics +10, Blade +5, Hand to Hand + 5, Illusion + 5, Mysticism +5, Security +10......Weak Skill Bonuses and Weak Specials. Only for Lizard Lovers and certain role playing concepts.

Breton: Alchemy +5, Alteration +5, Conjuration +10, Illusion + 5, Mysticism + 10, Restoration +10.....Recommended for Conservative Spell Casters. Good balanced package of specials.

Dark Elf Athletics +5, Blade +10, Blunt +5, Destruction +10, Light Armor +5, Marksman +5, Mysticism +5.....Recommended for Battlemage roles. Well rounded, but unexceptional attributes.

High Elf: Alchemy +5, Alteration +10, Conjuration +5, Destruction +10, Illusion + 5, Mysticism +10.....Recommended for offensive, go-for-broke spell casters. Chose a high elf over a Breton for slightly better melee attributes.

More to follow.....

(and I'll get to your other question when I am done typing the rest of this out....) smile

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2006, 04:51:05 PM »

Part 2:

Imperial: Blade +5, Blunt +5, Hand-To-Hand +5, Heavy Armor +5, Mercantile +10, Speechcraft +10....Undistinguished skill bonuses and Star of the West is useless....but Voice of the Emperor is very powerful when stacked with other spells and can solve nearly every persuasion based challenge in the game.

Khajiit: Acrobatics +10, Athletics + 5, Blade +5,  Hand to Hand +10, Light Armor + 5, Security +5, Sneak +5.....Recommended with reservations for thief concepts. Wood Elf is better choice for Marksmen sneak attacks. Night-Eye is ideal for sneaks.

Nord: Armorer +5, Blade +10, Block +5, Blunt +10, Heavy Armor + 10, Restoration +5......Recommended for melee fighters. Orc has better skill bonuses, while the Nord has better attributes for pure combat.

Orc: Armorer +10, Block +10, Blunt +10, hand to Hand +5, Heavy Armor +10.....Best skill bonuses for melee and Berserk is cool. Attributes are significantly weaker than Nord or Redguard for pure melee role.

Redguard: Athletics +10, Blade +10, Blunt +10, Light Armor +5, Heavy Armor +5, Mercantile +5......fair skill bonuses and spectacular Adrenaline Rush special. Has exceptional attributes for pure combat role.

Wood Elf: Acrobatics +5, Alchemy +10, Alteration +5, Light Armor +5, Marksman +10, Sneak + 10.....Recommended for Stealth Fighters. Very good skill bonuses and Command Creature special is good for problem solving. Has exceptional attributes for stealth roles.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 16, 2006, 05:21:59 PM »

Awesome, thanks Hetz.
docvego
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 16, 2006, 05:35:26 PM »

So I talked to a minion over at Best Buy, and he said 3/22 after checking some kind of internal PDF thing.  I mentioned the 3/20 stated release date from their website and he said it all depends on whenver they get their copies in.  I'm sure I could stand to wait a day, but the Fiance is going to be out of town starting Monday night for a few days so it's excellent time for some totally excessive and insomniac gaming sessions without the risk of a reprisal.  Oh well, I've got a ton of Best Buys, CompUSAs, GameStops, EbGames, Circuit Cities between work and home surely SOMEONE will have an extra copy of the PC CE for the wise DocVego.  

... I mustn't fear.. fear is the mind killer...

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 16, 2006, 05:38:53 PM »

Well, I just talked to the GS where I ordered from and he said the 21st for sure per some memo they have.

I was expecting Tuesday anyway

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 16, 2006, 05:41:55 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
Well, I just talked to the GS where I ordered from and he said the 21st for sure per some memo they have.

I was expecting Tuesday anyway

Actually, the 'memo' said that each store was free to pick up the game on Monday at the shipping hub if they wished. That was what the email said that was sent to every Gamestop/EB in the country,

Your store is just being lazy or they don't care. Most will probabily not do it....but they do have the option.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 16, 2006, 05:45:41 PM »

*sigh*

I wish I had the game right now....

They got review copies at this German Website....here is what they say about the requirements for the PC:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?article_id=457821

if you want to play Oblivion in 1280x1024 and full details you need 3.8 Ghz minimum (!), 1 GB RAM and a GF 7800 GTX...

docvego
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 16, 2006, 05:52:20 PM »

humm.. looks like I might do some overclocking after all.

Scotty.. get ready..

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 16, 2006, 05:54:45 PM »

*sigh*

They got review copies at this German Website....here is what they say about the requirements for the PC:

if you want to play Oblivion in 1280x1024 and full details you need 3.8 Ghz minimum (!), 1 GB RAM and a GF 7800 GTX...

I am glad I got a 360!  While I used to enjoy PC upgrading it just isn't worth it for me anymore.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 16, 2006, 06:28:49 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
*sigh*

I am glad I got a 360!  While I used to enjoy PC upgrading it just isn't worth it for me anymore.

Same here! smile

Here is a more detailed translation of the article:

Oblivion's impressive graphics are not just astonishing our game-experts, but also the whole PC-Games-Hardware team. After first technical analysis the euphoria got lowered, because of the requirements to run the game properly. We have seldom tested a game with such huge system requirements: To have full details at a resolution of 1280*1024 the player needs a high-end system with at least 3,8 Ghz CPU, 1 GB Ram and a GeForce 7800 GTX.

Most actual Game-Pcs won't stand these hardware requirements, so most of the fans have to upgrade their PCs......

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 16, 2006, 06:33:11 PM »

Is there any word if the 360 version will recieve mods or upgrades via Live!  

That's the only thing bumming me out about getting the console version

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: March 16, 2006, 06:34:21 PM »

Quote from: "docvego"

Scotty.. get ready..

ROFL

Well, I do have the specs (4400x2 AMD 64, ATI X1900XTX, and 2gig RAM), but will it play at 1680x1050 (my native widescreen resolution) at full detail? That will be the question. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 16, 2006, 06:37:37 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "docvego"

Scotty.. get ready..

ROFL

Well, I do have the specs (4400x2 AMD 64, ATI X1900XTX, and 2gig RAM), but will it play at 1680x1050 (my native widescreen resolution) at full detail? That will be the question. biggrin

I'm in the same boat as you....and have the exact same machine....

That's why I have the 360 version as a backup.  biggrin

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 16, 2006, 06:38:38 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
Is there any word if the 360 version will recieve mods or upgrades via Live!  

That's the only thing bumming me out about getting the console version

DOA 4 and COD 2 both have had gameplay patches via Live....so I am sure Bethesda could do it if they wanted to.

I also know that they will have all the official plugins available via Xbox Live.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 16, 2006, 06:53:08 PM »

I've done a forum search for this, but I haven't seen it mentioned: can someone tell me if its still possible to become a werewolf or a vampire in Oblivion?

I still rank being infected with lycanthropy in Daggerfall -- something had no idea was even possible -- as one of my all-time favorite gaming moments.

-Autistic Angel
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 16, 2006, 06:53:43 PM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
I've done a forum search for this, but I haven't seen it mentioned: can someone tell me if its still possible to become a werewolf or a vampire in Oblivion?

I still rank being infected with lycanthropy in Daggerfall -- something had no idea was even possible -- as one of my all-time favorite gaming moments.

-Autistic Angel

Vampire, Yes!

Werewolf, No.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: March 16, 2006, 07:18:14 PM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"

-Autistic Angel

Vampire, Yes!

Werewolf, No.

The strategy guide has a chapter on vampire strategy, I was reading it over lunch. Very cool.

I generally play these games as a straight up fighter, I may need to replay as a stealth vampire. biggrin

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 16, 2006, 07:32:55 PM »

[

I have specs pretty close to that on the rig I just built, 3700+ athlon 64, 1 gb ram, 7800 GT.

I preordered the 360 version. I am really on the fence though. I don't have HD for my 360 - unless I want to tell the g/f she can't watch TV in the living room for the next month.

So my dilema is 360 in low res, or PC in high res with possibly lower detail.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 16, 2006, 07:58:02 PM »

Gamestop.com orders for the game are now "processing"!   smile

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 16, 2006, 08:04:08 PM »

I bought a nice rig a few years back that's sadly already mid to low end now for next-gen gaming (P3.2, 2GB ram, GF6800GT).  I knew my rig would be brought to its knees by Oblivion, so I went the 360 route instead.  I'm a pc gamer at heart, but when the 360 can crank out graphics like Oblivion and GWAR in HD or hooked up to my widescreen pc monitor, and I don't have to stress about keeping up with the joneses for video cards and ram, I'm happy.  

So far I'm feeling like the hours I waited in the freezing, snot-inducing windy weather in December for a 360 have started paying off.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: March 16, 2006, 08:13:31 PM »

And there's a new movie up. Since Bethesda's site is gonna blow up, here's some links:

Worthplaying
3DGamers
3DDownloads
GameTrailers

I can't believe I beat Hetz on this post. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 16, 2006, 08:15:12 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
And there's a new movie up. Since Bethesda's site is gonna blow up, here's some links:

Worthplaying
3DGamers
3DDownloads
GameTrailers

I can't believe I beat Hetz on this post. biggrin

Awesome!   biggrin

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: