http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 10:20:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Now in gray color?  (Read 1221 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: July 10, 2007, 02:27:23 PM »

Via Joystiq:

We don't know exactly what this means ... heck, we don't know what it means at all, but we thought it was too cool to not pass along to you. Eagle-eyed (and quick screen-grabbing) reader Rickard Gudbrand sent us a screen capture he took while looking through Gamerscore Blog's flickr photos of Microsoft's E3 rehearsal. The image shows the three Xbox 360 SKUs we all know and love, in addition to a mysterious fourth wheel that appears to be a gray 360. Making the whole thing even weirder, after Gudbrand commented on the photos' four boxes, the pic (and others showing the stage) appear to have been removed.

So ... what is it? As you can see in the image, the box seems to be on the opposite end of the spectrum from the Elite, which maybe indicates that it's at the opposite end of the pricing spectrum too. We heard about some new, cheaper production methods for the 360, could this be a low-priced model taking advantage of that? We'll hopefully find out tonight.

(image posted both in the post as well as an attachment if photobucket loses the image)

So...what is it? And a far more interesting question - if it is just a lighting issue (which it most definitely does NOT look like), why is Microsoft having 4 consoles on the stage anyway? They only currently (as of right now) have 3 SKUs on the market.

Another random find - this image from the flickr blog linked above. Yeah, it's a VERY blurry photo, but you can clearly see the 4 consoles on the left. None of them look gray, but the picture is so damn bad that who truly knows.

Thoughts? Is Microsoft gonna introduce a 4th SKU for some reason (maybe an Elite with the HD-DVD drive)? Is it just a terrible color glitch (but then why show 4 models for their conference)? Time will tell tonight, as Microsoft is up first for E3.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 02:29:53 PM »

Maybe the new color is for the "Falcon" version.

Personally, I was hoping they would stick with black, but I guess gray is ok.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 02:34:18 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 10, 2007, 02:27:23 PM

(but then why show 4 models for their conference)?

Core, Premium, Elite, Elite Limited?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 02:40:19 PM »

It's NOT a color glitch. I keep reading that incredibly absurd explanation at various sites-you have to be blind to think thats bad color. It's clearly, completely, entirely gray.

None of those systems is a traditional core either-look at the DVD trays for confirmation.

My best guess? A new SKU and a redesigned core to include a mandatory HDD (and thus require it for all future games) and a super duper ultra elite-premium model as well. Might include price shifts down, might not.

Or, could just be a funky colored dev box. Either way, it's fun speculation.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 02:48:16 PM »

4 SKUs?  Insanity. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 03:00:01 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 10, 2007, 02:48:16 PM

4 SKUs?  Insanity. 

Why? I really don't understand why we presume this only for consoles. One of the (very, very few) insightful posters on GAF made a great point. Apple has done this shit for years. In many ways constantly and frequently screwing with their customers and shafting the loyal fan base that are early adopters. But they still buy it. There are multiple iPod SKUS-what, like 7 at last count? There are two alone in the video category. The Macs are diversified, etc. There is absolutely no reason why a 4 sku console system shouldn't work if the consumer is educated about the difference, and most importantly, the maximum price point stays relatively stable. Say 499.99 for the ultra-premium edition. Introducing a new core with a HDD and requiring it for all games (please god) would be easy enough to sell-just make sure its the smallest HDD and the most bare bones.. Making the old premium cheaper while continuing the elite as the HDMI and funky blacktime model for 50$ more isn't hard for those of us that like something different in our lives. Gives you multiple buying choices. And finally, a limited edition ultra model allows those of us who waste too much money to do something fun, like have a 160gb HDD and a HDDVD/BRD drive built in.

Anyways, I am getting too defensive. I seriously, completely doubt this is anything other than benign. But there is at least one wildly successful business model in the technology industry that is basically built on constantly introducing new SKUs. I think the key here is getting people (most of whom are just pathetically clueless) to actually understand what is in these consoles. Maybe it is insanity Kevin-maybe my gut is right, and that most people are just too dense to figure this stuff out.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 03:03:14 PM »

or maybe your sarcasm meter isn't working this morning  icon_wink

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 03:15:57 PM »

I thought of bringing up Apple in my first post.  I think they are doing it better:

First, they started with one Ipod and diversified from there over time.  Plus, they replace old products more frequently than just introducing new SKUs.  The Nano replaced the Mini, they added Video capabilities to the regular iPod instead of making it a different line, etc. 

Also, Apple makes money on the hardware and (I'm just going off of memory so I may be wrong) I've heard they don't make a whole lot of software sales.  iTunes is a driver to get people to buy the hardware while with videogames it's the other way around.

For MS, their goal is becoming the market leader.  They need to get 360s into homes and IMO anything that introduces consumer confusion is bad.  Apples breakdown of SKUs is very clear and serves distinct needs.  But the 360 SKUs aren't like that- looking at the Core it's not clear to a lot of consumers how important the HDD is.  Yeah onboard storage is nice but do most mass market consumers understand that it also makes gameplay smoother?  I doubt it.  Do they know you need a memory card just to save games on the Core?  Do they do the math and determine that by the time you buy everything else you need you probably should have got the $400 SKU anyway? 

With the Elite it's almost worse- most people probably don't know what HDMI is and the benefits it bestows.  Increased HDD space is nice but until you own the unit itself how do you know if 20 GB is enough or if you need 120 GB?  Casual consumers don't know that most game downloads are about a gig and that HD movie downloads can go up to 5 Gigs.  20 GB may sound like a lot or it might sound small because of the 120 Gig drive sitting on the shelf next to it. 

Plus there's the whole 'tard pack perception.  Because the lines between the consoles are so blurry, it's easier to just assume that you need the most expensive version.  Except that $479 (maybe $400 after tonight).  So you've just killed the advantage of having lower priced SKUs.  Going back to Apple, because the functions are so specific, I doubt someone interested in getting a Shuffle so they can go jogging with it is going to end up with the Video enabled version instead.  One obviously suits their needs better than others.

Multiple SKUs is right in line with MS's biggest mistake this generation- catering to the hardcore.  Yes, gamers on messageboards like this can be depended on to do their research.  But you don't sell PS1 & PS2-like numbers by catering to us.  You cater to the average consumer who doesn't read gaming magazines and websites and all they have to go on is what they see in front of them at the store and I don't think it does MS any favors to see three or four different boxes with fuzzy technical differences separating them. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 03:20:38 PM »

Actually they should make the grey one a middle SKU, you know, between the darkness and the light.

Because I can,
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 06:29:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 10, 2007, 03:20:38 PM

Actually they should make the grey one a middle SKU, you know, between the darkness and the light.

Roll Eyes

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 07:05:57 PM »

It's a developer's kit.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 07:13:55 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 10, 2007, 07:05:57 PM

It's a developer's kit.

It has a standard HDD, is a tad slimmer, and is missing an entire attachment of the developers kit-the big rectangle brick on the top side-its either a very new and streamlined dev kit or something else.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 09:14:21 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on July 10, 2007, 06:29:21 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 10, 2007, 03:20:38 PM

Roll Eyes

what?  I thought it was a great reference.  Poopy pants.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 09:16:54 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on July 10, 2007, 07:13:55 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 10, 2007, 07:05:57 PM

It's a developer's kit.

It has a standard HDD, is a tad slimmer, and is missing an entire attachment of the developers kit-the big rectangle brick on the top side-its either a very new and streamlined dev kit or something else.

They can use a smaller hard drive if they need to, and the sidecar isn't always necessary.    I'm saying no until its official.  That looks like a dev kit to me.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 11:05:48 PM »

Maybe they just want four color options - bland, boring, dull, and plain  icon_smile

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 11:07:30 PM »

According to a Bungie guy (who may be 100% correct or simply out of the loop) on another forum, its two premiums and two elites, but no one has any freaking idea why they are all up there-the rumor is that its might be to demonstrate 4player halo3 coop, but he said no (could of course still be true, but unlikely).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: