http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 01:37:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] No hard drive? Shaft for you!  (Read 2002 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 27, 2005, 12:11:54 PM »

Culled from an interview at Aussiebox

Last but not least, after we were told that there was no ability to fly aircrafts in the game due to the DVD drive’s inability to stream the environment fast enough in full 720p resolution. We asked Jacques Hennequet (Producer for Saint’s Row), “If the Xbox 360 Hard Drive was standard across both SKU’s, would flying aircrafts in the game have been a reality?”, Jacques simply answered “Yes”. While he completely understands why MS made the decision to not include a hard drive in the Core System, I think he felt somewhat disappointed, as it could have opened up much more possibilities within the gameplay for Volition's first Xbox 360 title.

Will this force Microsoft's hand if devs have to cut features to get the game to work without a hard drive?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 12:15:47 PM »

The PS2 version of Vice City had flying aircraft.  As we all know, the PS2 isn't nearly as powerful as the XBox 360, nor did Vice City stream off of a hard drive.  Somehow I doubt the hard drive is really the issue here.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 12:18:21 PM »

Yea, but it wasn't running at 720p though.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 12:59:47 PM »

Nor was it running at anything resembling the graphic detail of what the Xbox 360 can do.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 02:58:01 PM »

What's your point?  Vice City wasn't the prettiest game around, the developers made compromises to do what they did.  GTA sacrificed a lot of detail to have the large, open city that it did.  I'm sure GTA's developers could have made as pretty a game as God of War if they wanted to, and only have a couple streets accesible at a time.

Why can't Saint's Row do the same thing?  Sacrifice a little detail, load a few less textures per city block, and have a larger open area?  Its the developers choice to make the game as it is.  

I'm sure developers would like twice as much ram, another CPU, a more powerful video card, etc. etc., but that's not what the XBox 360 is.  

If aircraft were important, they should put it in the game, make the compromises, and not whine about the hard drive.  I'm sure we'll see a game with a big open area and aircraft in it at some point.

---
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 02:59:23 PM »

If aircraft were important, they should put it in the game,

Ding!

They'd find a way around it if they really wanted to.

Still, the no HD sku is teh lame.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 03:38:20 PM »

Additional confirmation that Microsoft's split-SKU decision means that to developers the hard drive wil be nothing more than an oversized memory card.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 04:35:24 PM »

Yep. I see this as at least some confirmation that the lack of a standard HDD is just screwing us (if only in a small way in some instances). I thnk Microsoft knew it, I think they still know it, I think they will get rid of the "3Shitty" as soon as humanly possible and require the HDD for games released after like  6 months from now, and I think they are doing this for the very cheap shot of being able to say they launched at 299.99, which isnt even really true.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 05:12:47 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Will this force Microsoft's hand

Give me some of what you're smoking.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 05:37:22 PM »

smoke

Done and done. slywink

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 06:12:45 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Yep. I see this as at least some confirmation that the lack of a standard HDD is just screwing us (if only in a small way in some instances). I thnk Microsoft knew it, I think they still know it, I think they will get rid of the "3Shitty" as soon as humanly possible and require the HDD for games released after like  6 months from now, and I think they are doing this for the very cheap shot of being able to say they launched at 299.99, which isnt even really true.

Any gamer with half a brain realizes this. It's unfortunate that Microsoft was simply going for the "We're $299!" price point for all the morons out there.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 07:17:26 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Any gamer with half a brain realizes this. It's unfortunate that Microsoft was simply going for the "We're $299!" price point for all the morons out there.

Wow, that was a mean way of saying you agree with me frown
gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 09:01:04 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

lol!
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 12:52:48 AM »

Devs could also go the HD-exclusive route, or make a HD-only version of their game.  Not very elegant a solution, but it's still there.

Personally, Im in the camp feeling that if they wanted it bad enough, they would have found a way.  Seems more of an excuse, and one which avoids saying they cut features in order to make it a launch title.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 01:23:59 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Devs could also go the HD-exclusive route, or make a HD-only version of their game.  Not very elegant a solution, but it's still there.

Personally, Im in the camp feeling that if they wanted it bad enough, they would have found a way.  Seems more of an excuse, and one which avoids saying they cut features in order to make it a launch title.

I absolutely agree with this. Just call it the HDD version, the limited version, the special edition, but they could do this. Well, let me rephrase that-they could do this provided that Microsoft isn't placing some sort of restriction on it. Absent that, it kind of makes me wonder why more developers aren't jumping on a HDD limited version. Surely they thought of this too.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2005, 03:26:07 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"
What's your point?  Vice City wasn't the prettiest game around, the developers made compromises to do what they did.  GTA sacrificed a lot of detail to have the large, open city that it did.  I'm sure GTA's developers could have made as pretty a game as God of War if they wanted to, and only have a couple streets accesible at a time.

Vice City, also had thoughs terrible loading times(I dont know why I added this comment) biggrin

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Cyrano
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2005, 05:03:59 AM »

I think Microsoft is requiring developers of non-massively-multiplayer games to make their games work without the hard drive. I can't remember exactly where I read that, but it was in a interview with someone from Microsoft.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2005, 12:28:23 PM »

Vice City, also had thoughs terrible loading times(I dont know why I added this comment) Very Happy

But not in the city though right, just when you went inside?

The 360 and PS3 are pretty powerful, developers can find a way to do things without relying on a hard drive.  The 360 has some pretty cool streaming features built into the hardware to begin with.  How many XBox games really used the hard drive to stream?  Almost none I think.  Most of the 'incredible' hard drive features in games were adding custom music while you played.  Oh boy.  You can plug your iPod into the 360 now, which is a lot better.

---
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2005, 12:59:34 PM »

Here's comment from ChrisGwyn at OO, which I think perfectly sums up my thoughts:

If I was an XBox 360 dev right now, I'd blame any feature that I had to cut on the lack of a HD. It's a free pass for shunting of fanboy rage.

---
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 01:09:17 PM »

Okay, maybe I could've worded that differently. I was trying to vent my anger at Microsoft for doing something simply so stupid, and instead I posted what I did.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 07:19:48 PM »

Quote from: "Cyrano"
I think Microsoft is requiring developers of non-massively-multiplayer games to make their games work without the hard drive. I can't remember exactly where I read that, but it was in a interview with someone from Microsoft.

If this is true (And it probably is) they can kiss my ass. This is just adding insult to injury. Who wants to be the second they discontinue 3shitty they require two versions of each game or HDD only versions and say the old model is just discontinued?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: