http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 11:38:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] NHL 2k7 Impressions  (Read 1605 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2006, 07:15:46 PM »

(Brief story before impressions) I went to go pick up NHL2k7 Thursday at a local Gamestop here in Portland.  I go in, ask, and the guy tells me that "We're all sold out.  You know, you really do need to reserve those hockey games."

So after that and deciding not to buy a hockey game from Gamestop ever again due to that retarded response, I went to Circuit City.  "All sold out."  Went to Best Buy.  "You mean NHL 07."  "No I don't."  So the person comes back with a stack of 15 copies, gives me one, and tells me they hadn't put them out on the shelves yet.

ANYWHO, played about 5 games last night.  Good stuff!  Same sort of menu scheme as before which is alright.  The game looks fantastic - smooth gameplay throughout, no stutters/hiccups, smooth movement of players.  So the graphics are definately there.

Gameplay is somewhat consistent to last year's version with some new (and quite nice!) animations (I've noticed a good deal of care being placed towards having your players switch from skating backwards to forwards with the puck - this is no longer instantaneous but now has some pretty realistic animations to show the transition).  I was unable to consistently score going high on my backhand, which means they've addressed that issue.  Also, the "skating in front of the goal crease from one side to the other" wrister that went in 75% of the time last year isn't nearly as high.

Presentation wise, they've added in some cutscenes before games, intermissions, and afterwards that somewhat coincide with their whole "Cinemotion" sort of feel.  The pre-game custcenes of the teams (from locker room to stepping out to the ice with the blinding light as they step onto the ice and skaing around for warm-ups) seems like a 'glorification' of hockey sort of thing to me.  Like, almost that they're showing how, well, like the music that plays (and doesn't - you can turn it on or off) during the game, it seems as though they were going for a "triumphant" sort of thing.  Hard to explain, but I think if you played you would get the point.  But during the intermissions you'll have stats scroll with highlights being shown of key plays in the period, that sort of good stuff.

All in all, quite impressed with the offering!  Still would like to get in a rental for NHL 07, sure, but I'm pleased with what 2k7 has put out this year.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 07:23:00 PM »

Thanks!

Can you score on shots other than one-timers?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 07:31:28 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 15, 2006, 07:23:00 PM

Thanks!

One timers are the one thing I can't score on.

I'm awful with them.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 07:38:53 PM »

Er... wrong game.

* gellar is retarded.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 08:00:06 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 15, 2006, 07:23:00 PM

Thanks!

I was having some either incredibly bad luck last night with one-timers or they addressed that problem with last year's game.  But I can't provide a definate answer about it yet!

It seems as though we have two VERY solid next-gen hockey games this year - that's awesome!   nod

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 08:14:37 PM »

Yes it is.  Thanks for the impressions dep.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 11:16:34 PM »

Played 2.5 games before sleep...scored two one-timers out of maybe...6 goals?  So the success rate was way down.  But that's not a true indication, because when I'm playing with Gator and Dep, we have a much higher success rate.  I like to think it's because of my brilliant playmaking skills biggrin  Will be able to comment on that after Saturday night.

I'm willing to sacrifice true, next-gen graphics for 60 fps.  The game looks okay enough, it just doesn't look crazy-next-gen.  The close-ups are pretty damn nice, but zoomed out, the game, to me anyway, actually looks a teeny, tiny bit worse than 2k6.  But it runs like BUTTER, so that's something that doesn't bother me.

Stick-handling seems different.  There seems to be more emphasis on how good the player is at keeping the puck, because sometimes you gotta adjust before you can shoot it, it's harder to deke, etc.  You'll see some players somewhat struggle at pulling the puck back in before they go backhand, for example.

Joe Sakic doesn't look enough like a girl, either.

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 12:57:32 AM »

I was worried the framerate in online games would take a hit, but I'm happy to say that it runs consistent and incredibly smooth.

Plus, there's already a roster for offline play.  Take that, Madden '07.

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 01:11:27 PM »

Put some more time into it...

It sort of feels like a Criterion Collection version of NHL 2k. 

I just hope they totally WOW us next year...but I'm happy enough with this year's game.  I have some minor nuisances, but I got a 6 hour block of time tomorrow that I'm devoting to this game, so we'll see how it goes.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 12:03:39 PM »

TML - thanks for the impressions.  How did you big block of time playing it go?  Any updates?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 12:26:29 PM »

Just got done with a, oh, 5.5 hour play block with TML and Gatorfavre.  I suppose I might write up a little bit when I wake up Sunday.  But I'm definately enjoying it a LOT more.

Interestingly enough, we rented NHL 07 and couldn't stand it.  Weird hurky-jerky animations, didn't like the control scheme at ALL, crappy framerate, and not-so-hot graphics (except for the cinematics and such).  No turbo seems kinda bleh.  And I disliked how the players skated around on the ice - it looks like they were skating in mud!

But yes, NHL2k7 is a winner.  Definately tons of fun.  No 'exploit' goals (i.e. high backhands, etc.).  Good stuff tonight.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 12:43:36 PM »

I swear, I stand by my earlier statement: this definitely feels like a culmination of the NHL 2k series into one Criterion Collection.  It doesn't alter the formula, but it tweaks, upgrades, and enhances nearly everything.  Gone are the moves that would seemingly work nearly half the time, the puck is much more wild and the A.I. is way smarter. 

The game feels much different, after putting so much time into it last night.  The players seemingly have much more weight to them, it takes awhile for them to get going, etc.  I am really liking the new momentum system. 

But after playing 16 games against online opponents last night, I can honestly say there isn't one tactic that works better than any other.  The "S" move isn't nearly as effective, actually, if you're going into a game with that being your only way of scoring, I'd say you'd be lucky to get 1-2 goals a game, if that.  One-timers are toned down, too - the goalies are wicked this year.

I'm really impressed with the game this year.  Injury frequency seems quite high in franchise mode, but I saw a slider for that when setting the options up, so I'd bump that down quite a bit...that's my biggest nitpick.  That and the commentary suck.  But I can live with that biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 06:48:16 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 15, 2006, 07:38:53 PM

* gellar is retarded.

That is quote material!  :slywink:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 02:47:21 AM »

Anyone know if there's a player lock option? (Where you control just one guy - and the AI controls the others)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 03:59:47 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on September 20, 2006, 02:47:21 AM

Anyone know if there's a player lock option? (Where you control just one guy - and the AI controls the others)

Yes, there is.  I believe you can lock any player on the ice including the goalie.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: