http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 12:36:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] NHL '07 Impressions  (Read 5379 times)
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2006, 03:51:45 AM »

I'm not enjoying this game very much at all.  A few little things:
+The cutscene graphics are awesome next-gen goodness.
-The in-game graphics are decent at best with terrible animation and horrible stutter feeling to them.  The skating looks and feels horrible.
+Shooting with the stick is fun but not exactly groundbreaking (in the 2k games you can deke, shoot and poke check using the right stick.  I know you have been able to do this since at least 2k6).
-Defense with the stick is horrible and the fact you cant really skate backwards and pokecheck effectively is annoying.
-Gameplay options?
-Loads directly into the shootout... waste of fucking time.
-No turbo button.  Which is not realistic at all.  Like others have said, a player can pull something out of their reserves if they have a shot at a breakaway or making a defensive play.  Players don't skate at a consistent speed in real life.
+Audio.  The crowd and announcing are both good.
+The puck is free from the stick,  this is a neat idea.
-Too many random bounces of the puck which somehow psyches the goalie out and creates too many fluke goals.
+Goalie animations and player models.
-online lobbies are shit, shit, SHIT.  Just like the Madden and NCAA lobbies.  Terrible.  I would love to be able to challenge a player without having to leave the fucking lobby every time.  Also, you can't view a players stats when he challenges you.  Come on EA, get with the times on the online play.  This portion of the game is seriously lacking.
+Presentation.  I like the highlights at the end each period.  I like replays of big hits and good scoring attempts.

Yes, this is a very unorganized "review."  I don't care.  So far I give this game something in the 6.5-7 range. 

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2006, 03:22:05 PM »

Neat Write-Up:

Comparison on Firing Squad

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2006, 04:33:16 PM »

I'm now managing to win about 50% of face-offs against the AI.  It's really a timing thing.  The better I started recognizing the ref's animations, and pulling the right stick back the second the puck dropped, the more face-offs I won.  There's also a Face-Off Rating for each player, which seems to have some impact on winning draws.  I've done very well with a good face-off center, winning 3/4 of them during a game. The left shoulder button face off definitely seems to be a skate trap, kick back.  It's much slower than just pulling back on the right stick and aiming with the left. 

It's funny, even without speed burst, I still think the game moves a little too fast, especially around the net.  I do agree that all of the team management menus are really clunky and poorly designed.  Just trying to insert a created player into the correct lines, and rearrange some folks, was an exercise.  I don't remember the UI being that cumbersome in the past. 

Overall, I really like the game.   
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2006, 05:04:22 PM »

I have a stupid question for my upcoming review: Is there a way to select your favorite team for the startup screen like in every other EA Sports game?

I know it's probably in the manual somewhere, but I don't have time to go through everything in those 6 pages!  icon_wink

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2006, 05:32:41 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 18, 2006, 05:04:22 PM

I have a stupid question for my upcoming review: Is there a way to select your favorite team for the startup screen like in every other EA Sports game?

I know it's probably in the manual somewhere, but I don't have time to go through everything in those 6 pages!  icon_wink

I've been looking for this too... and can't find it.  It's annoying.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2006, 06:00:38 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on September 18, 2006, 04:33:16 PM

I'm now managing to win about 50% of face-offs against the AI.  It's really a timing thing.  The better I started recognizing the ref's animations, and pulling the right stick back the second the puck dropped, the more face-offs I won.  There's also a Face-Off Rating for each player, which seems to have some impact on winning draws.  I've done very well with a good face-off center, winning 3/4 of them during a game. The left shoulder button face off definitely seems to be a skate trap, kick back.  It's much slower than just pulling back on the right stick and aiming with the left.

Just so I'm clear on what you are saying...(yes...I'm in the face-off disadvantaged group).....

You watch the ref animation.  When he drops the puck (I've seen insta-drop, 1 fake and 2 fake animations), you pull back on the right stick and choose a direction to pass it to with your left stick?   If that is the case, what happens if you pull back early, i.e. the first fake?

- shaggy

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2006, 06:34:32 PM »

Man, good question.  I'll check through all the My NHL'07 options tonight and see if there's a way to switch start-up teams.  I can't believe they wouldn't include that option.

With the new skill stick and button interface, I'm a dissapointed EA didn't include a practice option like they've done in the past.  I would really like to be able to just skate around and practice moving the stick around, taking shots, and experimenting with the LB to lock foward.  Being able to setup different practice types would've been great (3 on 3, 5 on 3, 4 on 4, PK, PP, etc).  Even having skill drill mini games would've been a nice touch.      
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2006, 06:42:35 PM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on September 18, 2006, 06:00:38 PM

Quote from: Roguetad on September 18, 2006, 04:33:16 PM

Just so I'm clear on what you are saying...(yes...I'm in the face-off disadvantaged group).....

You watch the ref animation.  When he drops the puck (I've seen insta-drop, 1 fake and 2 fake animations), you pull back on the right stick and choose a direction to pass it to with your left stick?   If that is the case, what happens if you pull back early, i.e. the first fake?

- shaggy

Yep, exactly.  Nothing happens if you don't time it right.  You'll see your stick move, but you'll lose the draw.  I've won face-offs when I bite on the first two fake drops and then time the 3rd right.  The instant drop is the easiest for me to win, since I can tell it's coming due to what seems like an animation hang.  I'm good with the 3rd drop, but the double drop usually gets me.  It took quite a few games for me to get the ref puck animations down. 

Edited to clarify:  double drop = 1 fake and drop on 2nd.  3rd drop = 2 fakes and drop on 3rd. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 06:46:02 PM by Roguetad » Logged
depward

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2006, 08:28:47 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 18, 2006, 03:22:05 PM

Wow, that comparision is terrible.  If the person comparing the games would get over his obvious bias and play a game or two of NHL 2k7 he would see that no, you can't score the exact same way as last year and no, it doesn't exactly play like last year and no, players don't interact with one another terribly (they cycle the puck on powerplays, dump it on penalty kills, cycle the puck around when having offensive possession, etc.).

I can't say much about NHL 07 since I only played it for a bit, but his criticisms for NHL 2k7 are a bit off in my mind.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2006, 12:40:33 PM »

Did they change the rules for the upcoming season?

I feel like at least 75% of the time, if I'm on the rush and take a shot, the next thing I know, I'm set for a faceoff.

Now, if the puck deflected out of play, that would be one thing.  But even after watching the replay, I don't see the puck going out of play.  It doesn't even really matter if the shot is on net.  I shoot wide..faceoff.  I shoot and the goalie saves it (but doesn't control it)..faceoff.

It's pretty frustrating.

And coupled with my complete inability to win faceoffs, it's killing the game for me.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2006, 12:42:52 PM »

Oh, and one more thing.

I had one game go to OT, and then to a shootout.

So Jason Blake (yeah, Islander fan) is the first guy up.  Skates the puck in, wrists one that the goalie blocks right back at me, and Blakey tips it back into the goal.  It counted.

I thought the shootout was a one-shot deal.  I didn't think you could score off of a rebound.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2006, 05:39:06 PM »

Quote from: DonD on September 23, 2006, 12:40:33 PM

Did they change the rules for the upcoming season?

I feel like at least 75% of the time, if I'm on the rush and take a shot, the next thing I know, I'm set for a faceoff.

Now, if the puck deflected out of play, that would be one thing.  But even after watching the replay, I don't see the puck going out of play.  It doesn't even really matter if the shot is on net.  I shoot wide..faceoff.  I shoot and the goalie saves it (but doesn't control it)..faceoff.

It's pretty frustrating.

And coupled with my complete inability to win faceoffs, it's killing the game for me.

Did they put the netting in above the end boards?  If the puck hits that netting after being deflected up then the puck is considered to be out of play and it is a faceoff situation.

Technically in a shootout as long as the puck were to rebound out and the player still is maintaining forward momentum I believe they can do that, tho I could be wrong.

Edit:  I was wrong and so is the game on the shootout...

Any infraction of the rules which calls for a "PENALTY SHOT" shall be taken as follows:

The Referee shall ask to have announced over the public address system the name of the player designated by him or selected by the Team entitled to take the shot (as appropriate). He shall then place the puck on the center face-off spot and the player taking the shot will, on the instruction of the Referee, play the puck from there and shall attempt to score on the goalkeeper. The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent's goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete. No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the goal post, then the goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the goal line, the shot shall be considered complete.

Only a player designated as a goalkeeper or alternate goalkeeper may defend against the penalty shot.

From the NHL rulebook.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 05:44:59 PM by Arkon » Logged
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2006, 07:17:42 PM »

That's what I thought.

The puck never deflected up even to the glass level, nevermind the up to the netting.  If there is netting.  I don't remember seeing it up there.  But I don't find that to be a big deal in any event.

My major gripes with this game are the team interface (roster moves, line changes and the like), and faceoffs.  It's a fun game otherwise, and overall, pretty enjoyable.  Those two items though..they need work.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2006, 08:45:39 PM »

I've gotten the faceoffs pretty well down now.  I won't win all of them, but I'll get my 50-60%.

gellar
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2006, 09:44:42 PM »

So, what's the trick?

I've tried all sorts of timing and can't seem to get it.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2006, 09:54:56 PM »

It's just a timing thing... you have to recognize when the ref is going to drop it (on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd) and time it right.  I can get it if it's a 1st or 3rd thing, but tend to whiff if he drops it on the 2nd.

gellar
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2006, 11:59:04 PM »

I am probably going to get 2K7.  The online leagues and lobby system put it over the top. NHL 07 seems too choppy and sluggish for me from the short time I played it at a friend's house.  2K sports games just seem so much more full featured and polished to me.  Maybe that's just my opinion, but that's how I see it.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2006, 05:33:11 PM »

After finally committing to a team (Pens), I started a dynasty this weekend.  I created a free agent winger, and was happy to see that the AI really cranked up his salary request (based on his stats).  I think I left him at 1million during creation, and the AI asked for 4.85million.  I offerred 4million and got rejected.  I had to bump up to 4.25 to sign him.  Good stuff. 

On the bad side, the dynasty and team management menus are terrible.  It is a major pain to edit lines, swap out players, and view global information without blumbering back and forth between several clunky menu screens.  Some of my players have been gaining Experience Points after each dynasty game, but the flimsy manual doesn't fully explain how I'm supposed to use them.  Because of the clunky menus, I can't for the life of me figure out what the experience points are for and when I get to use them.  I found the Progress Report menu that lists each players current stats, with a column for season improvements, and a total column.  The report lists the experience points for each player, but as far as I can tell, there's no way to use the experience points.  I wanted to switch the captaincies of my team, but it took me 15 minutes of menu navigating to finally figure out that I needed to go to the Jersey Number assignment menu to do that.

I really like the game play, it's the off the ice interface that stinks.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 05:42:05 PM by Roguetad » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2006, 05:54:59 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on September 25, 2006, 05:33:11 PM

On the bad side, the dynasty and team management menus are terrible.  It is a major pain to edit lines, swap out players, and view global information without blumbering back and forth between several clunky menu screens.  Some of my players have been gaining Experience Points after each dynasty game, but the flimsy manual doesn't fully explain how I'm supposed to use them.  Because of the clunky menus, I can't for the life of me figure out what the experience points are for and when I get to use them.  I found the Progress Report menu that lists each players current stats, with a column for season improvements, and a total column.  The report lists the experience points for each player, but as far as I can tell, there's no way to use the experience points.  I wanted to switch the captaincies of my team, but it took me 15 minutes of menu navigating to finally figure out that I needed to go to the Jersey Number assignment menu to do that.

I really like the game play, it's the off the ice interface that stinks.

Totally agree.  I hate the line change interface.  I can't view stats AT ALL during the line change area, so I have to either a) look at a player one at a time in alphabetical order, or b) back out a few windows, make notes, then go back into line changes.

That being said, the game still has me hooked.  I play for about an hour each day.

gellar
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2006, 03:48:15 PM »

Man, I got smoked by the AI playing as the Pens vs. Islanders in dynasty mode - 5 to 2.  So far my win/loss record has been realistic.  I've yet to identify any money plays, so most of the goals are usually a result of defense breakdowns, screens, bad rebounds, or good forward play (or all of the above).  The AI puts up a good fight.  I've seen a couple of cheese goals that squirt through the pads, but I think that represents the aw shit goals where the goalie flubs an easy save in real life...at least that's what I tell myself when I see one.

The on ice quick strategy feature doesn't seem responsive to me.  I'm using the face buttons to change strategies, but there's a delay in response after I hit the button...or sometimes it doesn't even respond.  I'd love to be able to change strategies during replays or stoppages, but half the time the game won't respond.  Often times I'll miss the face off because I'm too busy trying to manage the quick strategy feature.  During some replays I've seen the strategy change along the top of the screen after using the left stick, but I didn't see that documented anywhere in the manual.  I hope I'm just doing something wrong.       

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2006, 05:38:20 PM »

The more I play this game, the more I like it.

I agree with Rogue, the scoring is realistic and that's what we've been missing for a long time in hockey games.

icon_biggrin

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2006, 07:51:56 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 27, 2006, 05:38:20 PM

The more I play this game, the more I like it.

I agree with Rogue, the scoring is realistic and that's what we've been missing for a long time in hockey games.

icon_biggrin

You can actually score in a hockey game?  You finally figured it out?  icon_wink

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2006, 08:21:33 PM »

Yeah!! I can score in this game because it's like actual hockey!!!

When are we playing?  icon_biggrin

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2006, 11:57:55 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 27, 2006, 08:21:33 PM

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2006, 12:15:04 AM »

Quote from: Devil on September 27, 2006, 08:21:33 PM

When are we playing?  icon_biggrin

When I buy a 360?

It'll happen faster if you buy me a 360, of course.   icon_mrgreen

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2006, 11:26:00 PM »

After 30+ games, I finally, finally can win faceoffs on a semi-consistent basis.  The last game I played, I won 14, all-star ai won 18.  I consider that a victory.

The timing isn't exactly what you'd (I'd) expect.

You don't pull back when the puck hits the ice.  You have to pull back the right stick (and hold it) when the ref initiates his dropping motion.  It seems like it's way to early, but that's the timing the game wants.

I've also pretty much mastered the 'lose the faceoff but win the puck back with a fierce body check' mechanic.  So about 50% of the faceoffs I lose, I still manage to get possession of the puck.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2006, 01:32:58 PM »

Figured I should chime in on hockey.  This game is alot of fun, which surprises me since this is EA.  I'm actually enjoying both this and NHL 2K7 as I'm running seasons in both.  I've never done that before.  For the first time in a long time I believe we have two great hockey games.

I love how these games get in my head.  After losing two straight I started thinking "I can't lose another" and sure enough I start pushing and getting off my game and play style and before you know it - five straight losses!  I just lost last night to the lowly Flyers in a shootout.  I was down 5-3 in the 3rd period and managed to pull my hand out of my butt and tie it 5-5, only to fail in the shootout.  Speaking of which, these are great with that right analog stick.  Those shootouts definitely can be quite intense.  What a feeling of satisfaction when you score a goal in the shootout at home and the fans rock!  I'm surprised I scored 5 goals in this game because during my current losing streak I've been struggling to score.

I have to get back to the basics! 

I'm about 25 games into my seasons in both games and they both continue to impress me all around.  Goal scoring variety, streaks, shots on goal, intensity, atmosphere - it's all there for both games.  Loving it!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: