http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 10:48:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Need For Speed Carbon and Totem Ball are now on the Marketplace  (Read 1495 times)
The_Man
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2006, 01:45:41 PM »

Totem Ball is a new arcade game which is free, but you must have the camera to play it.  I wasn't all that impressed with Need For Speed Carbon, especially since I liked Most Wanted so much.  I just didn't get the sense of speed from this demo that have been in past Need For Speed games.  The demo weighs in at just over 1 gig.  Totem Ball is about 40 meg if I recall.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 02:41:49 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on October 04, 2006, 01:45:41 PM

Totem Ball is a new arcade game which is free, but you must have the camera to play it.  I wasn't all that impressed with Need For Speed Carbon, especially since I liked Most Wanted so much.  I just didn't get the sense of speed from this demo that have been in past Need For Speed games.  The demo weighs in at just over 1 gig.  Totem Ball is about 40 meg if I recall.

Interesting...I think the NFS demo is quite impressive, and I had very little interest in it beforehand.
The one place i thought the speed sensation was lacking was on the canyon race, but I think that was more of a framerate issue than anything.

The autosculpt feature is exceedingly cool.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 04:41:04 PM »

Why do you need the camera to play Totem Ball? Sounds like some sorta WoW Shaman Basketball game.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 04:54:12 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on October 04, 2006, 04:41:04 PM

Why do you need the camera to play Totem Ball?

It watches your arms in order to perform actions on the screen.  I suppose they could have developed it to not work with a camera, but that's not the design choice they made, just like Eye Toy games on the PS2.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 05:07:04 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 04, 2006, 04:54:12 PM

Quote from: Sparhawk on October 04, 2006, 04:41:04 PM

Why do you need the camera to play Totem Ball?

It watches your arms in order to perform actions on the screen.  I suppose they could have developed it to not work with a camera, but that's not the design choice they made, just like Eye Toy games on the PS2.

Yeah, but if the game is good that means I have to buy the camera...

I like music. I like totems. But is the game any good?

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 05:13:34 PM »

I'm sure someone will take the hit and get it.  I thought some people had the camera that were on tihs forum and since the game is free, I imagine we will have impressions soon.  I might even go buy the camera today, myself.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 05:31:07 PM »

I really liked Carbon a lot.  At first, I was irked by the "forced drift" on the drift track, but after I got used to it, I found it to be a lot of fun.  I'm less sure about racing the same stretch twice through the canyon, but it was pretty intense, and the music for that section is perfect!

I downloaded TotemBall for the day I do decide to get the camera (and in fear that it won't be free forever).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 05:33:35 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 04, 2006, 05:31:07 PM

I downloaded TotemBall for the day I do decide to get the camera (and in fear that it won't be free forever).

I did that this morning, too.  icon_biggrin

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 06:33:43 PM »

well, papasmurff has a camera, and he dropped it off for a little bit, so I played totemball for a while.  Interesting game.  My arms are horribly out of shape I think.  Played for 5-10 minutes and they were ready to drop off.  Of course one of the achievements is to play for 20 minutes continously.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 10:21:57 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 04, 2006, 05:31:07 PM

From my understanding, TotemBall was supposed to come with the camera, but it wasn't ready for the camera's release. That's why it's a free download.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 02:13:00 AM »

I wasn't all that impressed with Need For Speed Carbon, especially since I liked Most Wanted so much.  I just didn't get the sense of speed from this demo that have been in past Need For Speed games.

Loved Most Wanted, loathed Carbon based on the demo... I only got to run the first two races since I couldn't get past the drift course in the 2 tries I gave it, so I didn't get to see the canyon race but I like the driving in TDU better if you can believe that.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 02:50:11 AM »

Actually, I can't believe that....

I can see not liking the drift racing, but to say TDU is better? Wow...perhaps we'll just have to disagree, but you might want to give it another shot.

The drift racing took some getting used to. The trick to good scores is maintaining control and chaining turns together. It took me probably half a dozen tries (I was consistently getting about 30k points) to get through the second race, but once I got the hang of it, it was a breeze. After I won the canyon race, I went back to the drift race and pulled off a single drift chain that netted 80,000+ points (way more than enough to win the race).

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 02:54:27 AM »

i just gave the NFS:Carbon demo a shot, winning all events with each of the cars, and i'm pretty disappointed.  i played through most of NFS:MW on the pc and it was a hell of a lot of fun...exciting races, good graphics, great sense of speed.  pretty much all of that is lacking in what i've seen of Carbon so far.  the graphics are too soft and blurred, the cars feel slow, handling is sluggish compared to MW, and i just wasn't having fun with it after playing games like MW and Burnout.  i will admit that the Autosculpt is a neat feature, but i'm not really into the whole car-modding idea, so the racing action is always my focus.  Carbon just didn't do much for me yet...to each his own though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 03:01:58 AM »

I hate the drift racing part of the demo with all my soul.  Ick.

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 03:46:27 AM »

I have found that drift is much easier in manual. 

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 04:01:22 AM »

This shit is Tokyo Drift  icon_lol Not a man can tell me different.
How funny is this I just got done watching (the movie on my 360) while I had carbon downloading.
Why It felt like I was play the movie? especially the cannon part.
SOLD!
Now excuse me, I going watch the movie again nod
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 04:03:56 AM by juniordan » Logged

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 05:22:40 AM »

Quote from: juniordan on October 05, 2006, 04:01:22 AM

This shit is Tokyo Drift  icon_lol Not a man can tell me different.

That is not exactly a good thing for most people. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 05:27:20 AM »

I liked the movie enough to buy it, and I did feel the exact same way when I played the demo.  It feels like the movie!

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 12:16:27 PM »

Ugh, I thought that demo was awful.  Graphics felt like a step down from Most Wanted.  There is no sense of speed- it felt like I was going 30 mph the whole time and they just put a lot of excess motion blur on top to mask it which only served to make it worse.  Framerate was pretty crappy too and I didn't care for the way the car handled.

The drift stuff- awful.  Felt like I was on an ice rink.

Really hope this was an early demo and they can pull through something much better for the final product. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 06:30:15 PM »

didnt like need for speed,which is a shame seen as though it took ages to download....found it to be glitchy as well,stuttering while racing

but it is a demo though

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 07:04:50 PM »

I liked the NFS demo, but I suck at drifting.  That part could be cut out for all I care.  Maybe I'd pick it up after a nice price drop.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2006, 12:01:54 AM »

Quote from: Nth Power on October 05, 2006, 07:04:50 PM

I liked the NFS demo, but I suck at drifting.  That part could be cut out for all I care.  Maybe I'd pick it up after a nice price drop.

If you haven't tried the Gallardo, I seem to drift much better with it than the Mitsubishi. I just posted 102k points a minute ago.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: