http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 06:52:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Mass Effect -- Two Weeks!  (Read 49214 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 05, 2007, 05:57:06 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 05, 2007, 05:48:43 PM

Quote from: Calvin on July 05, 2007, 05:42:25 PM

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the next delay (and I hope there isn't one) is to fix the framerates.

I just hope that they don't bork the visuals too heavily in the process.  I'm not one to favor graphics over gameplay but it would be a shame after all of these incredible looking shots to have them radically scale everything back to get it running smoothly. 

I have the same concern, especially considering the mind blowing visuals are what are really helping to set this game apart and give the universe its own new life. I am taking solace in the fact that I think were they seriously considering compromising the visual fidelity for framerate the game might already have been released  at the original May timeframe. I think they are doing everything they can to make that the last option-and if the game ends up looking and running great in December, so be it-we have a plethora of titles in the next 3 months to enjoy.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 05, 2007, 07:22:09 PM »

so we can presume that barring anything unforseen, the game is content complete, feature locked, and probably relatively bug free.

If it was all those things, it would be on a shelf.  If the framerate is really too bad for release, and they're doing optimizations, then you can bet they've got plenty of bugs to fix smile  Optimizations are one of the biggest bug generators out there.

My money's on 2008.  I think if they were close we would at least have heard a definitive "this year" out of them.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 05, 2007, 08:01:47 PM »

Quote from: kathode on July 05, 2007, 07:22:09 PM

so we can presume that barring anything unforseen, the game is content complete, feature locked, and probably relatively bug free.

If it was all those things, it would be on a shelf.  If the framerate is really too bad for release, and they're doing optimizations, then you can bet they've got plenty of bugs to fix smile  Optimizations are one of the biggest bug generators out there.

My money's on 2008.  I think if they were close we would at least have heard a definitive "this year" out of them.

WELL WHY DON"T YOU JUST SHUT UP! I did not know this obviously, so remove the optimization part from my little thing. Maybe late fall? Plz? Kthnx.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: July 05, 2007, 08:02:44 PM »

My thought?  Microsoft is holding their tongue until E3.  We'll know very very soon.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 06, 2007, 12:34:54 AM »

Hello Fallout 3 competition!   icon_biggrin
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 06, 2007, 05:19:45 AM »

Quote from: Eightball on July 06, 2007, 12:34:54 AM

the Fallout trailer that is on marketplace right now,said 'Fall 2008'....it better not be then when mass effect is out

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 06, 2007, 06:24:11 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 06, 2007, 05:19:45 AM

Quote from: Eightball on July 06, 2007, 12:34:54 AM

the Fallout trailer that is on marketplace right now,said 'Fall 2008'....it better not be then when mass effect is out
[/quote]

Don't worry, ME won't be out until Spring 2009  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: July 11, 2007, 12:19:33 PM »

Consider this a bump:

Must watch movie trailer!

After watching that trailer, who here thinks that Bioware could turn this into one hell of a movie?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 11, 2007, 12:26:13 PM »

Going to Pre-order my copy today!!!!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 11, 2007, 12:45:47 PM »

Gamespot now has the release date listed as January 2008.  icon_frown
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 11, 2007, 12:51:18 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 11, 2007, 12:45:47 PM

Officially announced for November at MS's press conference last night. 
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 11, 2007, 12:58:01 PM »

Bioware is officially calling for a November release date.

"Yes folks, itís now public knowledge. If you have been paying attention to the Mass Effect information being released at E3, youíll have just seen that BioWare and Microsoft are pleased to announce the release date for Mass Effect. You will be seeing Mass Effect on store shelves in November at your favorite local retailers."

Yeah...I guess this will be a rare pre-order for me as well. They certainly make it look like a great experience with the trailer...plus this gameplay trailer doesn't hurt either...even if it is far too short.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 11, 2007, 12:59:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 11, 2007, 12:51:18 PM

thumbsup
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 11, 2007, 01:12:48 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 11, 2007, 12:59:47 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 11, 2007, 12:51:18 PM

thumbsup

Very nice, I think they needed the time to clean up the framerate, and my August-November is completely hammered already-I will enjoy it in November!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 11, 2007, 02:58:10 PM »

November will be perfect for me.  I'm glad they delayed it enough to fit into my schedule  icon_wink  Now as long as they don't pull a Bethesda.....

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 12, 2007, 02:49:00 AM »

IGN has some hands-on impressions of the demo.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 12, 2007, 03:00:35 AM »

Did anyone catch the live demo on gamespot tonight?

Heard it was full of awesomeness  drool
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 12, 2007, 07:42:41 AM »

does anything else come out in November?..i know GTA is october...waht about half life?....i will just have to get both if that happens

call of duty usually gets released in november ,but mass effect is way above that for me

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 12, 2007, 12:06:15 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 12, 2007, 07:42:41 AM

does anything else come out in November?..i know GTA is october...waht about half life?....i will just have to get both if that happens

call of duty usually gets released in november ,but mass effect is way above that for me

Assassin's Creed, Super Mario Galaxy, and Unreal Tournament 3 are all announced for November.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 12, 2007, 01:36:45 PM »

Gamespot has a 20 minute gameplay demonstration:

http://uk.gamespot.com/video/930279/6174539/mass-effect-stage-demo-1#

Looks awesome with the caveat that the framerate definitely has issues and the game is extremely choppy as a result.  Almost to the point where I'm surprised Bioware let them show it without making huge disclaimers that it isn't final code.   

WOW at the environments and atmosphere though.  Also pretty impressed by how they hide the load times make it much more seamless than their games.  I am a little concerned though that the amount of "unique" worlds that can be visited may lend themselves to a sort of cookie cutter experience like the Elder Scrolls series' dungeons with some minor variations in tilesets.  Hopefully that won't be the case. 

The Gamespot interviewer goes over the line into raving lunatic fanboy mode enough to make me a little uncomfortable but it's still an awesome video. 
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: July 12, 2007, 01:41:50 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 12, 2007, 01:36:45 PM

Gamespot has a 20 minute gameplay demonstration:

The Gamespot interviewer goes over the line into raving lunatic fanboy mode enough to make me a little uncomfortable but it's still an awesome video. 

Aye, he was a bit too perky for me....calm down boy!!

Anyways...Lots of questions answered, lots of things shown.  It looks like it will play great, a nicely paced Tac Shooter / RPG hybrid. Really stoked for it now.

Nice to know that the game is 'done', but I really can appreciate Bioware taking the time between now and November to polish it up. From what I see, we may have something that really deserves to be called epic.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 12, 2007, 01:53:58 PM »

I'm so IN!!!!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 12, 2007, 02:50:07 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 12, 2007, 12:06:15 PM

Assassin's Creed, Super Mario Galaxy, and Unreal Tournament 3 are all announced for November.

I've come to accept that November is going to be an expensive month for me.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 12, 2007, 02:54:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 12, 2007, 02:50:07 PM

For me the tough part will be deciding what I buy on release and what gets bumped to my Christmas list.  Mass Effect will definitely be a release day game.  It was painful enough last year waiting to play Zelda for a month and I ain't doing that for ME.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 12, 2007, 03:17:29 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 12, 2007, 02:54:54 PM

For me the tough part will be deciding what I buy on release and what gets bumped to my Christmas list.  Mass Effect will definitely be a release day game.  It was painful enough last year waiting to play Zelda for a month and I ain't doing that for ME.

I'm thinking of not doing my usual '5 bucks down, pay the rest on release day' and pre-ordering everything now so I can pay them off slowly over the next few months.  That way it won't be a single hit on the wallet.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 12, 2007, 03:17:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 12, 2007, 12:06:15 PM

November isnt really my worst month I dont think-i think its the month of september including the last week of August thats going to do me in.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 12, 2007, 03:25:31 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on July 12, 2007, 03:17:47 PM

November isnt really my worst month I dont think-i think its the month of september including the last week of August thats going to do me in.

With ME out of September, the period is starting to feel a lot lighter to me.  Off the top of my head, my only must buys for the period of late August through September is Bioshock, Blue Dragon, Halo 3, and Metroid.  Maybe Lair but I'll be looking at reviews to make a decision there. 

The big question mark for me are Sony's release dates since R&C, Uncharted, and Heavenly Sword are all day one purchases.  I'm optimistic about Haze too- I thought Second Sight was very underrated and also like Time Splitters Future Perfect a lot too. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 12, 2007, 03:38:55 PM »

I thought Heavenly Sword was pretty solid for September? I was keeping that one in my list, because yeah, after September I see the following:

Haze, Ratchet, Uncharted, GTA4, NBA2K8, and a few others.

My August to late September list is staggering, and will require sales or rentals for sure:
Madden, Stranglehold (possibly), Bioshock, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata (rental?), PGR4, Halo3, Lair, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword (could be October).

So man..I just don't know what to do. The game sale is helping-a lot-and I have only purchased two games the last 6 weeks or so, so I am controlling myself smile But that list up there is like 600 dollars worth of games. Never going to happen frown
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 12, 2007, 03:44:37 PM »

Hopefully we'll get some release date news on Heavenly Sword.  After seeing the E3 trailer I'm pretty damn pumped. 

I'm likely out on PGR4- franchise has never done a lot from me and I'm not seeing much to differentiate it from PGR3 (indeed I think MS is making a big mistake releasing it the same month as Halo and so soon after Dirt and Forza.  I don't think it's going to meet sales expectations).  I'm also likely out on Eternal Sonata too and, alas, the mp focus of Warhawk leaves me in the cold. 

Forgot about Stranglehold though- it's been getting some excellent previews recently.  Hopefully it's out early in August when I'll have time to play.  If it's Sepember or later then it might have to wait. 
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 12, 2007, 04:13:49 PM »

New screenshots here, ladies and gentlemen. Enjoy.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 12, 2007, 05:05:31 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on July 12, 2007, 04:13:49 PM

dangit.  now I'm excited, and I'm stuck at work  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 12, 2007, 07:36:36 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 12, 2007, 01:36:45 PM

Looks awesome with the caveat that the framerate definitely has issues and the game is extremely choppy as a result.  Almost to the point where I'm surprised Bioware let them show it without making huge disclaimers that it isn't final code.   

First-hand perspectives appear to be kinder than you are:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/e307/mass-effect-impressions-277810.php

That said, everything looks fantastic. The framerates are totally smooth (with occasional stutters that we'll chalk up to it being almost done, but not quite), and the characters look gorgeous. All those trailers you've seen are actually of in-game footage, and when you zoom close in on alien characters, they look just as good as any of the Unreal Engine demos we've been seeing for years. If not better. This makes sense, since it uses the Unreal Engine.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 12, 2007, 07:50:57 PM »

Maybe it was the stream then (though the audio didn't stutter) but don't they see the inherent contradiction in "totally smooth" and "occasional stutters"? 
warning

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 12, 2007, 08:30:06 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 12, 2007, 07:50:57 PM

Maybe it was the stream then (though the audio didn't stutter) but don't they see the inherent contradiction in "totally smooth" and "occasional stutters"? 

Kotaku?  Probably not.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 13, 2007, 01:22:43 AM »

Quote from: warning on July 12, 2007, 08:30:06 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 12, 2007, 07:50:57 PM

Kotaku?  Probably not.

maybe they meant occasionally smooth and totally stutters.....

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: July 13, 2007, 07:32:35 AM »

"The Gamespot interviewer goes over the line into raving lunatic fanboy mode enough to make me a little uncomfortable but it's still an awesome video."
I think he was trying to counteract the two guys from Bioware, one of whom seemed mildly interested and the other who seemed borderline catatonic slywink

After viewing the demo, all I have to say is  drool drool drool drool drool

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 15, 2007, 07:25:11 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 13, 2007, 07:32:35 AM

After viewing the demo, all I have to say is  drool drool drool drool drool

+ drool 

I am in for day one having just now watched the 20 min demo.  I love the travel map with all the stars and the Milky Way.  I will go to my local GameCrazy and put down my pre-order asap and at the same time add in Assassin Creed as well, E3 is showing some fantastic games.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 15, 2007, 07:56:58 PM »

More than anything else in the demo, just exploring the galaxy map got me excited.  I love the exploration part of RPGs, and a space-based game with tons of things to explore is exactly what I want.

Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: July 15, 2007, 08:27:13 PM »

I did not have sexual relations with that video.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 15, 2007, 08:43:20 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 15, 2007, 07:56:58 PM

More than anything else in the demo, just exploring the galaxy map got me excited.  I love the exploration part of RPGs, and a space-based game with tons of things to explore is exactly what I want.

BINGO!  This is what it is all about.  I've been saying it for years ever since I played Starflight on the PC.  EXPLORATION!!!  Like Eddie, this is EXACTLY the type of game I live for.

Bring it on!!!  nod

Barring any mention of a KOTOR 3, this game WILL be my Game of the Year.  Case closed.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: