http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 02:14:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Mass Effect -- Two Weeks!  (Read 50343 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 30, 2007, 02:45:56 PM »

plus, since MS is the publisher, don't you think they'd want to release a big title like this within spitting distance of the release of Halo 3, be it before or after?  If they're smart this will be an early August release (if completed) or a post Halloween/mid November release.  I'd place my bets on the latter.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 30, 2007, 02:54:15 PM »

And so we wait through another suck summer...I'm actually thinking about picking up Godfather.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 30, 2007, 02:57:36 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 30, 2007, 02:54:15 PM

I'm actually thinking about picking up Godfather.

If you had a Wii I'd say get that version-  there's just something very satisfying about slapping around a shopkeeper with the Wii-Mote, it's also a good way to relieve stress  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 30, 2007, 02:59:38 PM »

I'm definitely grabbing Blue Dragon, Calvin; even Mass Effect won't stop me from getting that title. I want both very much, but I suspect that each sale will matter more for BD than for ME. icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 30, 2007, 03:08:03 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on May 30, 2007, 02:59:38 PM

I'm definitely grabbing Blue Dragon, Calvin; even Mass Effect won't stop me from getting that title. I want both very much, but I suspect that each sale will matter more for BD than for ME. icon_wink

Oh I am buying both BD and ES on day one-I really want to play through every one of these RPGS as soon as they come out (and hope to get a day off for at least two of them to go crazy!!) And I agree-we need to support titles like BD and ES and buy them and buy them early. We want and need more titles like this on 360, so lets show our support!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 30, 2007, 04:14:22 PM »

Eternal Sonata is almost certainly going to bomb or be a niche success at best.  It wouldn't even do big numbers on the PS2 with it's huge install base of JRPG fans.  It would definitely stand out better released outside of the busy fall season but I don't see it doing better than something like Enchanted Arms no matter when it releases. 
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 30, 2007, 04:41:45 PM »

I agree I think the Mass Effect September launch is really poorly thought.  Summertime has literally nothing worthwhile being released for the 360...but the Fall is over stocked with quality titles.

Assassin's Creed (shipping on Halo 3's release day, supposedly...that is just stupid), Bioshock, Mass Effect, Kane & Lynch, Lost Odyssey (my vote for lost title of the year), Mercenaries 2, all from a Mid-August to Late October (2 month) window?

Not to mention the two grand-daddy titles, Halo 3 and Grand Theft Auto 4.  Why any smaller title (and ME IS a smaller title than those two) would want to release anywhere near those two monsters is far beyond me.

Oh yeah and that small seller called Madden in mid-August, too?

Some of those titles would have sold very, very well over the Summer, but will be absolutely crushed by the competition in the Fall.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 30, 2007, 05:12:56 PM »

Yeah, and Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata in late August/Early September to take away at least SOME hardcore fans from Mass Effect. I agree, for a microsoft published product this makes no sense. I wonder if we are going to get either shocked for a july release or dissapointed for thanksgiving.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 30, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 30, 2007, 04:14:22 PM

Eternal Sonata is almost certainly going to bomb or be a niche success at best.  It wouldn't even do big numbers on the PS2 with it's huge install base of JRPG fans.  It would definitely stand out better released outside of the busy fall season but I don't see it doing better than something like Enchanted Arms no matter when it releases. 

God I hope not. I know it wont do well, but I hope it does well enough to convince Japanese developers to translate so we get these games. I was literally blown away by the ES demo and to lose more games like that would be criminal-it just shows what a great RPG platform the 360 truly can be.

Of course ditto for BD-looks incredible and I can't wait to play it. I hope it sells well.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 30, 2007, 05:37:51 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on May 30, 2007, 05:14:00 PM

Of course ditto for BD-looks incredible and I can't wait to play it. I hope it sells well.

I think BD will do well.  Whether "well" is 500k or a million or more, I don't know and it probably depends on release date and how much the end result appeals to US audiences.  But MS has done a very good job at getting the name out there to the point where I think it will fill the bill for the portion of the 360's audience who wants to play one JRPG a year but not really anymore than that.  Blue Dragon being the first high profile next-gen JRPG is going to get a fair amount of people who probably haven't dabbled in the genre for quite a while to dip their toe in as well. 

I wouldn't worry about Eternal Sonata's sales in terms of localization though- the market is so barren right now that I think almost any JRPG released on the 360 stands an excellent chance to come over because it has it's own little niche all by itself.

The concern is whether sales are big enough to see more games in the genre on the platform, period.  Japan is usually the core of sales on these types of games but with the hideous 360 install base they lose that advantage so there is pressure for the NA and European releases in order to be profitable. 

The bigger concern right now is that with both 360 and PS3 sales in the toilet in Japan, there really isn't a viable "next gen" platform for niche JRPGs.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 30, 2007, 05:42:18 PM »

Yeah you hit on my concerns completely-which is why I am hoping beyond reason that ES achieves more sucess than we think and that BD becomes a 500k+ seller-here is to hoping that that might make it appealing enough for JRPG devs to keep producing them for the 360 even with the flagging sales in Japan. Thankfully the PS3 isn't yet taking the market from the 360, and the devs that seemingly want to make "next-gen" games can't make them on the Wii-but I agree with you, the next year is going to be crucial to seeing where the market for JRPGs goes (for next-gen, I think its obvious many casual titles from the J devs will go to the Wii)

As for BD release, unless it has been moved up I am 99% sure it is firm for the week of 8/23. I think its a big mistake with ME tentatively titled for 9/3 and Bioshock 8/29-I think they should move it up since localization is apparently complete. Why compte with those titles (and ditto for MEs release).
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 30, 2007, 06:03:52 PM »

I'm guessing the ball is entirely in Bioware's court on scheduling right now.  If they are firm on Mass Effect in September but no earlier then I can definitely see moving Blue Dragon somewhere else.  But perhaps even September isn't firm and a late fall release could happen in which case BD would likely stay.  But that introduces another problem- MS  has been saying that Lost Odyssey will be a worldwide release in November or December and Mass Effect being moved into that timeframe might cause some consternation there as well. 

Eternal Sonata is kind of funny- it's Namco published and I'm not even sure if MS has purchased exclusivity so there isn't as much incentive there for MS to avoid it. 

Overall, I think it's looking like they have royally botched their scheduling for the year.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a quarter so jam packed with first/second party titles.  I also think the unique migratory nature of the 360 community makes it a much harder platform to put out simultaneous high profile titles. 

We'll see it how plays out but I think there are going to be some casualties that could have been avoided. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 30, 2007, 06:18:24 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 30, 2007, 06:03:52 PM

Overall, I think it's looking like they have royally botched their scheduling for the year.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a quarter so jam packed with first/second party titles.  I also think the unique migratory nature of the 360 community makes it a much harder platform to put out simultaneous high profile titles. 

We'll see it how plays out but I think there are going to be some casualties that could have been avoided. 

I agree with your whole post but I want to highlight this. Microsoft has a tremendous late summer/fall lineup. Really spectacular. I don't think anyone can argue that 360 has by far the best lineup for upcoming games for the calendar year. How they have managed to so completely botch the scheduling of those titles to leave two months empty in the summer when nothing gets released anyways (and thus perpetuating the summer drought nonsense), and then frontloading everything except possible GTA4 to miss the holidays is just mind-boggling. Save something, anything for december/january-I am sure more cool stuff is coming out, but the 360 fanbase as you mentioned is migratory. I truly think some of the upcoming releases will slow that trend quite a bit and make more buyers "multiple purchasers" but at the same time you need to be aware that that effect is going to take place slowly as the more blockbuster titles are released near each other and there is more incentive to stick with more than one game at a time. In order to do that you have to space out the real AAA titles and give them a chance to sell.

Yeah, couldn't agree more. It's going to be a shame to see the small titles and JRPGs suffer, which they likely will frown
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 30, 2007, 06:52:45 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on May 30, 2007, 06:18:24 PM

How they have managed to so completely botch the scheduling of those titles to leave two months empty in the summer when nothing gets released anyways (and thus perpetuating the summer drought nonsense)

Explain bolded portion, please?  Give me some reason to believe there isn't a summer drought?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 30, 2007, 06:56:32 PM »

There is a summer drought because the companies create it, not because there is any demonstrable proof that games can't sell in the summer. I am not saying there is not a relative lack of new releases during the summer months, I am saying the reason companies don't release games during the summer has everything to do with poor scheduling and nothing to do with the myth that games don't sell well during the summer.

Also, someone else made a post a while back talking about how two recent summers had some huge blockbuster releases, helping to dispel the summer drought stuff. I don't remember what they were now, but I think at least one year recently saw Jade Empire and a huge PC game released in late July. Didn't WoW come out in the summer too?
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 30, 2007, 06:58:08 PM »

Many people like to go outside and do stuff during the summer.  It's the same reason there's no new tv in the summer.

Note of course, that I am not one of those people, but still.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: May 30, 2007, 07:23:32 PM »

with so many games to pick up, i've been considering buying them from liongames.  anyone have any experience with them?  it seems a bit odd that they can offer so many games on launch for 20-30 off retail. 

this is going to be an expensive year.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 30, 2007, 07:47:22 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 30, 2007, 07:23:32 PM

with so many games to pick up, i've been considering buying them from liongames.  anyone have any experience with them?  it seems a bit odd that they can offer so many games on launch for 20-30 off retail. 

There's a couple of giant threads on www.cheapassgamer.com re: lion games. He seems legit.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: May 30, 2007, 07:48:54 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on May 30, 2007, 06:56:32 PM

There is a summer drought because the companies create it, not because there is any demonstrable proof that games can't sell in the summer. I am not saying there is not a relative lack of new releases during the summer months, I am saying the reason companies don't release games during the summer has everything to do with poor scheduling and nothing to do with the myth that games don't sell well during the summer.
I tend to agree... there have been several titles released in or near the summer that did exceptionally well... Deus Ex, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Unreal, Final Fantasy VII, etc.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: May 30, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »

I think we need to rename this thread since no one really knows when it will come out it is impossible to say it is inching, crawling, leaping, gallavanting, or sprinting to a launch.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 30, 2007, 11:06:02 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on May 30, 2007, 06:56:32 PM

Also, someone else made a post a while back talking about how two recent summers had some huge blockbuster releases, helping to dispel the summer drought stuff. I don't remember what they were now, but I think at least one year recently saw Jade Empire and a huge PC game released in late July. Didn't WoW come out in the summer too?

Oh ok.  I thought you meant as in there isn't a summer drought this year because there are actually some decent games coming out.

Bleh.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 30, 2007, 11:40:33 PM »

I think we need to rename this thread since no one really knows when it will come out it is impossible to say it is inching, crawling, leaping, gallavanting, or sprinting to a launch.

i prefer gallivanting - even though it isnt, i just like the word smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 31, 2007, 04:17:19 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on May 30, 2007, 11:40:33 PM

i prefer gallivanting - even though it isnt, i just like the word smile

drunken stumbling towards the edge of the cliff?

Because I can,
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 31, 2007, 10:52:16 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 30, 2007, 02:11:05 PM

September is going to be a busy month-  the only question is which big release is going to kill another big release?

Right now I think Halo and Assassin's Creed are scheduled to come out on back to back days.
I'd expect that to change.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 31, 2007, 11:05:59 AM »

The hype is strong with this one Luke.........

This game feels like its already precariously perched on the tower of high expectations...

Grace: Unmerited favor.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 31, 2007, 11:49:27 AM »

Gah, why the change in title!?

And I think Assassin's Creed is unofficially a 2008 release now.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 31, 2007, 01:34:56 PM »

Quote from: Ridah
I'm worried about the frame rate during combat though, it looked a bit choppy. I really hope they do not ruin the game with a poor frame rate...

I had exactly the same reaction when I first saw combat footage from Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire, but those game ran fine upon release.  I agree that a choppy framerate can ruin an otherwise great game, even a turn-based one, so hopefully Bioware will continue the trend and get all their technical issues ironed out before the game ships.

-Autistic Angel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 31, 2007, 01:47:17 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on May 31, 2007, 01:34:56 PM

I'm worried about the frame rate during combat though, it looked a bit choppy. I really hope they do not ruin the game with a poor frame rate...

I had exactly the same reaction when I first saw combat footage from Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire, but those game ran fine upon release.  I agree that a choppy framerate can ruin an otherwise great game, even a turn-based one, so hopefully Bioware will continue the trend and get all their technical issues ironed out before the game ships.

-Autistic Angel

If I had to make a guess, I'd say framerate/performance  might be a big contributor to the game's delays.  Bioware isn't exactly Epic when it comes to technical proficiency and I've been worried that they might have bit off more than they can chew by trying to offer Gears or better level of graphics on top of their other systems. 

I'm also curious how much Unreal 3 engine is ready for primetime for non-Epic developers.  Outside of something small like Roboblitz, I think Rainbow Six: Vegas is still the only other non-Gears game to ship using the engine and it doesn't really seem to be pushing it the way Mass Effect does.  IIRC, Epic said that their first concern was optimizing the engine for themselves for Gears last fall, *then* they would work on helping other devs use those optimizations in their games.

Hope I'm wrong but I've had a nagging concern about this since Bioware mistakenly put out some "downgraded" screenshots a few months ago (which they admittedly disowned).   
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 31, 2007, 03:03:08 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 31, 2007, 10:52:16 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 30, 2007, 02:11:05 PM

September is going to be a busy month-  the only question is which big release is going to kill another big release?

Right now I think Halo and Assassin's Creed are scheduled to come out on back to back days.
I'd expect that to change.

unfortunately you're probably right.  I'm more excited for Assassin's Creed than Halo 3.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 31, 2007, 03:07:51 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 31, 2007, 11:49:27 AM

Gah, why the change in title!?

Just to torture you  icon_twisted

And I think Assassin's Creed is unofficially a 2008 release now.
I don't think I've even seen any rumors about that.  I'm pretty sure it got a big delay last year so hopefully they're about finished with it.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 31, 2007, 03:35:41 PM »

-Autistic Angel

The framerate in KOTOR was not great.  In fact, it was one of the big complaints for most gamers and reviewers.

PS

Quote from: ATB on May 30, 2007, 07:47:22 PM

Quote from: Caine on May 30, 2007, 07:23:32 PM

There's a couple of giant threads on www.cheapassgamer.com re: lion games. He seems legit.
You couldn't link to the thread itself?  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 03:40:40 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 31, 2007, 03:38:01 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 31, 2007, 01:47:17 PM

-Autistic Angel

If I had to make a guess, I'd say framerate/performance  might be a big contributor to the game's delays.  Bioware isn't exactly Epic when it comes to technical proficiency and I've been worried that they might have bit off more than they can chew by trying to offer Gears or better level of graphics on top of their other systems. 

I'm also curious how much Unreal 3 engine is ready for primetime for non-Epic developers.  Outside of something small like Roboblitz, I think Rainbow Six: Vegas is still the only other non-Gears game to ship using the engine and it doesn't really seem to be pushing it the way Mass Effect does.  IIRC, Epic said that their first concern was optimizing the engine for themselves for Gears last fall, *then* they would work on helping other devs use those optimizations in their games.

Hope I'm wrong but I've had a nagging concern about this since Bioware mistakenly put out some "downgraded" screenshots a few months ago (which they admittedly disowned).   

Well, they are wisely taking their time then. Even if it gets delayed to 2008 I can grit my teeth and hold on...but man I want this game.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 31, 2007, 03:50:54 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 31, 2007, 03:38:01 PM

Well, they are wisely taking their time then. Even if it gets delayed to 2008 I can grit my teeth and hold on...but man I want this game.

just imagine if it gets delayed until Spring 2008.  Calvin would go postal....

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 31, 2007, 04:04:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 31, 2007, 03:50:54 PM

Quote from: ATB on May 31, 2007, 03:38:01 PM

just imagine if it gets delayed until Spring 2008.  Calvin would go postal....

You mean more than he already does in his day to day state of mind?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 15, 2007, 05:58:00 AM »

more screenies...i really need a release date now for this...after Too Human supposedly pushed back to march 2008

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 15, 2007, 06:02:58 AM »

and a few more

you are one ugly mother fu....

this one i think is slightly different to one we have seen

i think we may of seen this one before,i have anyway

so,more new shots...but still no 'official' release date....damn they like to tease

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: June 15, 2007, 06:04:10 AM »

Those are some BAD ASS screens. Holy crap.  eek

retard

Yes, my eyes just popped out of their sockets. Ouch.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 15, 2007, 07:21:55 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 15, 2007, 05:58:00 AM

more screenies...i really need a release date now for this

Summer 2008.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 15, 2007, 07:51:32 AM »

I didn't realize Mystique from X-men snuck into this game...  ninja

The game looks good, but graphically the frame rate is what is going to win me over. If we can get a solid 30fps for 95% if the game I'll be ecstatic, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 15, 2007, 08:31:26 AM »

Summer 2008= I pay no more attention to the game until then.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: