http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 07:58:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Mass Effect -- Two Weeks!  (Read 49220 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2007, 04:31:46 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 06, 2007, 01:25:47 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 06, 2007, 07:28:50 AM

a few new pictures taken from teamxbox
is there still no official date for release?

June 5th in the US and June 22nd in Europe is the latest rumor as of a week ago but nothing confirmed yet. 

That would be aesome if true.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2007, 04:53:58 PM »

June 5th in the US and June 22nd in Europe is the latest rumor as of a week ago but nothing confirmed yet. 

Haha - Europe is for suckers.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2007, 06:41:26 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on April 06, 2007, 04:53:58 PM

Haha - Europe is for suckers.

dont i know it crybaby

i dont want any european countries anymore to be with us,so i am selling them...who wants them?...i will give you a fair asking price...but im afraid you do get France with your purchase....sorry icon_confused

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2007, 07:02:32 PM »

Interestingly enough, I hit up my local Gamestop to make sure I got a collectors edition...

They still don't have both SKUs in their computer yet.  I was actually shocked and had a brief discussion with the store manager on this.  We came to the shared conclusion that proper SKUs won't be out until the Gold announcement hits.  :/

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2007, 12:35:30 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 06, 2007, 12:17:50 PM

Quote from: ATB on April 06, 2007, 12:08:29 PM

Oh game of all games, why won't you release and let me play you!?   icon_frown

I hate agreeing with you buy you are so goddamned right. Those pictures are insanely detailed and hot and awesome and I am feeling all wrong and tingly now.

I hate agreeing with you two so I won't.  I'm happy with STALKER and Super Paper Mario is coming out next week so  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 07, 2007, 08:21:55 PM »

There's a nice new cutscene video here.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 07, 2007, 10:38:29 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on April 07, 2007, 08:21:55 PM

There's a nice new cutscene video here.

that is a nice trailer,i liked how the guys eyes would track everything that was going on,on the screen

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: April 08, 2007, 04:30:52 AM »

Anyone have any links where they detail the conversation system?

From what I've heard, the game doesn't pause for you to decide a conversation choice, nor do you always have to be in conversation mode to interject something.  Basically you'll see conversation options appear on a wheel that you use either one of the analog sticks or dpad to activate whenever you want to, or you can just let that person keep speaking.

One thing the devs said was that in the intro sequence as you walked in and around the Normandy if you walked by two people just talking, conversation options would pop up for you to instantly jump into the conversation, either berating the crew members to get to work, or being a kinder commander.

Once again, seems to me that this system would be perfect for a co-op game.  You could have one player controlling the main plot character, but when you have teammates walking around with you.  That second player can actualy control the conversation options of an NPC using the same system.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: April 08, 2007, 01:39:22 PM »

From what I've heard, the game doesn't pause for you to decide a conversation choice, nor do you always have to be in conversation mode to interject something.  Basically you'll see conversation options appear on a wheel that you use either one of the analog sticks or dpad to activate whenever you want to, or you can just let that person keep speaking.

That is correct.  Essentially, instead of displaying the entire sentence, you get a list of general 'feelings' about what the other person is saying.  Naturally, if your reaction is hostile, you are probably not going to wait until the other side is done speaking before interjecting your opinion.  Someting as simple as telling your guys to follow your orders can go 3 ways.  One way you give a reminder of why your order is important (nice), you tell them to shape up and follow orders and then explain why (neutral), or you berate them telling them they have no business questioning your orders and that they should just do as they are told (not nice).  From what I've seen in person and what I've seen in videos, it works and it works well.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: April 08, 2007, 01:51:59 PM »

After watching that video my desire for this game just went through the roof, and it was already very very high.  Love it.  Exactly what I have been waiting for for a very long time. 

I am going to sleep now and hopefully not waking up til the day it hits the streets. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 08, 2007, 02:40:36 PM »

Is that the trailer with the video feed from the planet below getting attacked?
The CO sounds like Avery Brooks.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 08, 2007, 03:07:31 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 08, 2007, 02:40:36 PM

It's Keith David.  He's got a great voice, but it seems like he uses the exact same voice with the same inflection in everything he does.  After playing so much Saint's Row it's impossible for me to mentally seperate that voice from Julius.  I played Halo 2 the other day and I thought, "Hey the Arbiter is Julius from Saint's Row!" smile  I watched that Mass Effect video and kept waiting for the commander to say "You're going in.  You ready for this, playa?" smile
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 08, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »

Quote from: kathode on April 08, 2007, 03:07:31 PM

It's Keith David.  He's got a great voice, but it seems like he uses the exact same voice with the same inflection in everything he does.  After playing so much Saint's Row it's impossible for me to mentally seperate that voice from Julius.  I played Halo 2 the other day and I thought, "Hey the Arbiter is Julius from Saint's Row!" smile  I watched that Mass Effect video and kept waiting for the commander to say "You're going in.  You ready for this, playa?" smile

Put the effin Sunglasses on!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 08, 2007, 04:18:31 PM »

I always associate him with Goliath.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: April 08, 2007, 09:26:40 PM »

Yep, I was expecting him to grow wings and start kicking machine ass all by himself.

Of course, I'm happy to take orders from Goliath, he'd rip my throat out if I disobeyed.

Oh and I just have to repeat this, Mass Effect has so many similarities to Star Wars.  That's not a bad thing though.

Spectres = Jedi
Mass Effect = The Force
Plenty of Humanoids.
Hot Twileks-like aliens.

But what Mass Effect does over Star Wars so well is that it strips out a lot of the baggage and immaturity of the subject matter.  There's no light and dark side, just people trying to get things done.  More intersting politics, more places to visit instead of relying on the same 10 planets.  Mass Effect becomes less spiritual and more just a physics phenomena.  The focus goes back to the grunts on the ground, rather than people fighting with light swords in space.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 08, 2007, 10:29:24 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 08, 2007, 09:26:40 PM

Yep, I was expecting him to grow wings and start kicking machine ass all by himself.

Of course, I'm happy to take orders from Goliath, he'd rip my throat out if I disobeyed.

Oh and I just have to repeat this, Mass Effect has so many similarities to Star Wars.  That's not a bad thing though.

Spectres = Jedi
Mass Effect = The Force
Plenty of Humanoids.
Hot Twileks-like aliens.

But what Mass Effect does over Star Wars so well is that it strips out a lot of the baggage and immaturity of the subject matter.  There's no light and dark side, just people trying to get things done.  More intersting politics, more places to visit instead of relying on the same 10 planets.  Mass Effect becomes less spiritual and more just a physics phenomena.  The focus goes back to the grunts on the ground, rather than people fighting with light swords in space.

Sounds good to me..........Well worded.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 08, 2007, 10:39:56 PM »

D'oh! I should have recognized him...big Gargoyles fan myself. I may have to get this game after all.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: April 08, 2007, 10:50:11 PM »

So are they ever going to show some real freaking gameplay or what?  Everyone is drooling over this damn game and I have yet to see how it actually plays. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: April 08, 2007, 10:54:30 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 08, 2007, 10:50:11 PM

So are they ever going to show some real freaking gameplay or what?  Everyone is drooling over this damn game and I have yet to see how it actually plays. 

They have shown gameplay.  *shrug*  What were you looking for specifically?  They've shown the tactical battle system, dialog system, planetary system, etc.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 08, 2007, 11:27:35 PM »

The second video (X06 Demo) here shows off the dialogue system and some fighting.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: April 08, 2007, 11:35:53 PM »

You're right, I hadn't seen that X06 Demo and it shows a lot more of what I meant by gameplay (including combat).  When I see a game video I want to see what I'm going to see as a player, with the same camera angles and interfaces and stuff. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: April 09, 2007, 01:28:58 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 08, 2007, 04:18:31 PM

Same here. biggrin

And I SO damn want this game. It is so damn amazing looking in every way, shape, and form possible. Can it possibly hold up to all the hype it's generating?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 09, 2007, 01:41:49 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 09, 2007, 01:28:58 AM

Same here. biggrin

And I SO damn want this game. It is so damn amazing looking in every way, shape, and form possible. Can it possibly hold up to all the hype it's generating?

Yes. Yes! YES!  If it doesn't, Kobra will eat his pants.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2007, 01:46:18 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 09, 2007, 01:28:58 AM

Same here. biggrin

I don't see why not. At least two Bioware games have so far!
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2007, 02:19:40 AM »

Yeah I immediately knew him as Julius.  But honestly, he will forever be known to me as King from Platoon.

Just keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the worm will turn.

Sound advice!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 09, 2007, 03:31:07 AM »

you don't play the game, the game plays you.....

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 09, 2007, 12:57:11 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 08, 2007, 10:54:30 PM

They have shown gameplay.  *shrug*  What were you looking for specifically?  They've shown the tactical battle system, dialog system, planetary system, etc.

It looks too much tactical shooter and too little RPG for my tastes.  I'll still be there day one, but I'm not quite as drool as everyone else yet.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 01:03:29 PM by Gratch » Logged

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 09, 2007, 01:08:36 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 09, 2007, 12:57:11 PM

It looks too much tactical shooter and too little RPG for my tastes.  I'll still be there day one, but I'm not quite as drool as everyone else yet.

to tell you the truth i am not loking forward to the tactical shooting part of things,as i suck at GRAW

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 09, 2007, 01:08:41 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 09, 2007, 12:57:11 PM

Was thinking the same thing....I hope we're wrong. I'd much prefer it to be RPG heavy and shooter light......Too many shooters already for the 360.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 09, 2007, 01:49:05 PM »

Heh, I'm in the opposite camp. nod

Bioware mixing a deep and engaging RPG storyline with a semi-stat based sci-fi tactical shooter and I have big wood. All the elements are there for a really great game. Granted...it could all come together as pure tripe, but somehow I doubt it will.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 09, 2007, 01:59:22 PM »

Bioware has been mostly "hit" for me (the one "miss" being Jade Empire), so I have no doubt that I'll enjoy the story.  I'm sure the gameplay will be solid as well.  However, being completely awful at console shooters makes me more than a little nervous that I'll be able to keep up.

Hopefully they have a "ridiculously-easy" mode for those of us that are shooter handicapped.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 02:15:46 PM by Gratch » Logged

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 09, 2007, 02:04:06 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 09, 2007, 01:59:22 PM

(the one "miss" being Jade Empire),

Most disappointing game of the last generation.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 09, 2007, 02:15:42 PM »

Bioware has been mostly "hit" for me (the one "miss" being Jade Empire), so I have no doubt that I'll enjoy the story.  I'm sure the gameplay will be solid as well.  However, being completely awful at console shooters makes me more than a little nervous that I'll be able to keep up.

Hopefully they have a "idiculously-easy" mode for those of us that are shooter handicapped.

I think the stat based shooting is going to be way more stat based and technical than twitch tactical shooter but thats just a guess. I really doubt even sucky shooter players will have trouble with the system. That would just be totally un-Bioware.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: April 09, 2007, 02:22:38 PM »

Yep, it's not exactly a shooter.  If you notice, the player isn't actually shooting at his crosshair.  Instead the crosshair it used more to select targets and your stats determine hits and damage.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 09, 2007, 02:37:38 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 09, 2007, 02:15:42 PM

I think the stat based shooting is going to be way more stat based and technical than twitch tactical shooter but thats just a guess. I really doubt even sucky shooter players will have trouble with the system. That would just be totally un-Bioware.

Aye, that's my impression as well.

We know we have a pause and the ability to command your squad as to where to go and what to attack...I'm assuming you'll be able to instruct them as to 'how' to attack as well. This is all pretty standard Bioware stuff, and I wouldn't have expected them to stray too far from what has worked for them in the past.

For your avatar, I'm guessing you'll have a 'press x to lock-on' system, with your personal stats determining accuracy, reload time, damage multipliers, weapon types, and what not. I'm hoping that it will have a bit of twitch to it as well, or that I could play it in a twitch fashion without too much loss of the gameplay style/fun that Bioware intends.

My biggest beef with their games is that you almost 'have' to pause to get through a battle. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the heady, strategic side of them...but I feel like I lose some of the visceral feel of combat and would like a bit more rush from a battle.

So yeah...I'm hoping to have my cake and eat it too.  Tongue

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 09, 2007, 02:42:27 PM »

Quote from: Booner on April 09, 2007, 02:37:38 PM

My biggest beef with their games is that you almost 'have' to pause to get through a battle. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the heady, strategic side of them...but I feel like I lose some of the visceral feel of combat and would like a bit more rush from a battle.

See, that's what I liked about Jade Empire's combat.  It was quick and felt like a battle-  all it needed was some slow motion fatalities and cheesy rock music and it would have been perfection!  I'm still holding out for KotOR3 to be done Jade Empire style  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 09, 2007, 04:13:32 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 09, 2007, 02:04:06 PM

huh?

jade empire was a great game,actually it was a fantastic game

if you want a dissapointing game of the last generation look at KOTOR2 that sucked in all kind of ways

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 09, 2007, 04:41:40 PM »

STAY.ON.TARGET.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 09, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 09, 2007, 04:13:32 PM

huh?

if you want a dissapointing game of the last generation look at KOTOR2 that sucked in all kind of ways

Even with the borked ending, I thought KOTOR 2 was infinitely superior to Jade Empire. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 09, 2007, 06:48:39 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 09, 2007, 05:47:00 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 09, 2007, 04:13:32 PM

huh?

Even with the borked ending, I thought KOTOR 2 was infinitely superior to Jade Empire. 

Since it appears we cannot prevent the derail, only delay it, I might as well agree. KOTOR2 was excellent. However, I really like Jade Empire, just have never got past 7 hours in (Imperial City starting area) mainly because I got pissed with the load times. I really want to play it on PC and thought it was an excellent if not up to Bioware's usual standards RPG.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: