http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 09:45:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Mass Effect -- Two Weeks!  (Read 49503 times)
kathode
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2007, 06:14:49 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 30, 2007, 05:27:54 PM

Devs like to make a big deal about "it's done when it's done" but the reality is that the publisher has to make publicity decisions for ad buys, has to work with retailers for shelf space, end caps, and Sunday ads, and of couse is working with strat guide makers regarding planned publishing schedules for that.  So there is generally always a target or goal date and that is usually what is reflected on sites like EB Games because they usually get the information straight from the publisher.  Often the first indication that a title has been delayed is from one of the retailers web pages. 

Yep, that's all true.  You always have a schedule and should always have a goal in mind from Day 1.  But developers say "It's done when it's done" because the internal date can, and frequently does, change based on hundreds of factors.  And as we all know, when you publically announce a date and then change it, Hetz implodes icon_lol
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2007, 06:31:13 PM »

Quote from: kathode on January 30, 2007, 06:14:49 PM

And as we all know, when you publically announce a date and then change it, Hetz implodes icon_lol

icon_lol
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2007, 06:45:09 PM »

THIS will probably be the game of the year - for me.  Mass Effect will satiate my craving for KOTOR 3 - for now.  I'm going to easily spend 100+ hours on this baby.  These types of games are what gaming is all about to me.  Day 1 purchase.  Preorder without a doubt.  This game cannot come soon enough.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2007, 06:48:50 PM »

And as we all know, when you publically announce a date and then change it, Hetz implodes icon_lol

can't..... stop.... laughing..... damn.... you  !!!11!!!1!  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2007, 08:35:30 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 30, 2007, 05:27:54 PM

Devs like to make a big deal about "it's done when it's done" but the reality is that the publisher has to make publicity decisions for ad buys, has to work with retailers for shelf space, end caps, and Sunday ads, and of couse is working with strat guide makers regarding planned publishing schedules for that.  So there is generally always a target or goal date and that is usually what is reflected on sites like EB Games because they usually get the information straight from the publisher.  Often the first indication that a title has been delayed is from one of the retailers web pages. 

Yep, that's all true.  You always have a schedule and should always have a goal in mind from Day 1.  But developers say "It's done when it's done" because the internal date can, and frequently does, change based on hundreds of factors.  And as we all know, when you publically announce a date and then change it, Hetz implodes icon_lol

I am also not sure that every dev has the opportunity that Beth does to stick their nose up at the release date, however. Bioware probably is not a good example as I imagine they pretty much write their own ticket, but isn't Vanguard a good example of a game with a target date that simply had to be released because SOE forced it out (I know it was delayed several times)?
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2007, 08:56:59 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 30, 2007, 08:35:30 PM

I am also not sure that every dev has the opportunity that Beth does to stick their nose up at the release date, however. Bioware probably is not a good example as I imagine they pretty much write their own ticket, but isn't Vanguard a good example of a game with a target date that simply had to be released because SOE forced it out (I know it was delayed several times)?

I wasn't talking about who sets the date - just when and how the date gets announced to the public.  Predicting release dates is hard in the best of circumstances, and any specific date further than a month out should be regarded as highly suspect.  For instance, Mass Effect could always fail certification at the last minute, which would easily be a week's delay at bare minimum.

But yeah, Vanguard was pushed out "early" and, well, I'll just have to bite my tongue here.  Suffice to say I feel bad for those guys.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2007, 09:07:45 PM »

Quote from: kathode on January 30, 2007, 08:56:59 PM

Quote from: Calvin on January 30, 2007, 08:35:30 PM

I wasn't talking about who sets the date - just when and how the date gets announced to the public.  Predicting release dates is hard in the best of circumstances, and any specific date further than a month out should be regarded as highly suspect.  For instance, Mass Effect could always fail certification at the last minute, which would easily be a week's delay at bare minimum.

But yeah, Vanguard was pushed out "early" and, well, I'll just have to bite my tongue here.  Suffice to say I feel bad for those guys.

Sure, that makes sense.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2007, 02:10:04 AM »

Quote from: Starshifter on January 30, 2007, 06:45:09 PM

THIS will probably be the game of the year - for me.  Mass Effect will satiate my craving for KOTOR 3 - for now.  I'm going to easily spend 100+ hours on this baby.  These types of games are what gaming is all about to me.  Day 1 purchase.  Preorder without a doubt.  This game cannot come soon enough.

Have your character named yet?  Is she related to the KOTOR characters?  Worked out the rest of their family tree yet?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2007, 03:22:55 AM »

Quote from: ATB on January 31, 2007, 02:10:04 AM

Have your character named yet?  Is she related to the KOTOR characters?  Worked out the rest of their family tree yet?

Play the box yet?

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2007, 07:12:38 AM »

I have, and man, if the game is supposed to be so much better than the box, I don't know how I'm going to handle it.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2007, 12:56:33 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 31, 2007, 02:10:04 AM

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

Good one ATB!

Give me some time.  I have to get a better feel for the game first.  Sure enough I'll be ready before the game is in my hands!!!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2007, 02:00:35 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 31, 2007, 07:12:38 AM

I have, and man, if the game is supposed to be so much better than the box, I don't know how I'm going to handle it.

Baby steps, Turtle. Baby... Wait! You're a turtle! Just take at your pace and you'll be fine.  icon_wink

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2007, 03:12:33 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 30, 2007, 06:48:50 PM

can't..... stop.... laughing..... damn.... you  !!!11!!!1!  icon_lol

Tongue

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2007, 05:48:43 PM »

possible release date leakage: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/02/mass-effect-release-date-spotted-on-official-xbox-site/

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2007, 09:06:24 PM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on February 02, 2007, 05:48:43 PM

Updated now with MS saying definately not. Still thinking July.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2007, 09:45:24 PM »

New screen, cribbed from GAF:

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2007, 10:06:22 PM »

darth vader as a transvestite?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2007, 03:09:22 AM »

Here's the info page at Bioware about the screenshot and the Qurian race.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2007, 02:33:23 PM »

This game is hawt!

Just might have to have an HDTV and 360 delivered the day before release.  icon_biggrin

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2007, 09:09:37 PM »

There are some very nice new screenshots at Worthplaying.  I especially like this one -

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 09:11:33 PM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2007, 09:19:11 PM »

It is just too much for me. I won't be in this thread (ok, I really will but I am going to fight with myself clicking on the link every day) until the game comes out-these screenshots are INSANE.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2007, 09:32:13 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 07, 2007, 09:19:11 PM

It is just too much for me. I won't be in this thread (ok, I really will but I am going to fight with myself clicking on the link every day) until the game comes out-these screenshots are INSANE.

Indeed.  It's no longer a maybe, this game will make me finally get my HDTV.
Kratz
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2007, 09:57:57 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on January 28, 2007, 02:19:51 PM

Though that brings up a point - IIRC both KOTOR games had some game-stopping bugs on the XBox that got fixed with the PC editions. Chances of that happening again with Mass Effect?

If you have Live, then 360 games are patched automatically.  It's not a case of 'suck it up and like it' as it was on the xbox.

I haven't been this excited about a game since KOTOR.  I think it's going to be great!
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2007, 02:19:33 AM »

Quote from: Kratz on February 07, 2007, 09:57:57 PM

Though that brings up a point - IIRC both KOTOR games had some game-stopping bugs on the XBox that got fixed with the PC editions. Chances of that happening again with Mass Effect?

If you have Live, then 360 games are patched automatically.  It's not a case of 'suck it up and like it' as it was on the xbox.

I haven't been this excited about a game since KOTOR.  I think it's going to be great!

I do NOT believe this is the real Kratz.

There is far too much optimism.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2007, 04:21:18 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 07, 2007, 09:09:37 PM

You know, I bet those guys are just standing in front of a green screen and that background is all digital. Way to go all George Lucas on us, Bioware! Boooooo!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2007, 05:08:26 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on February 08, 2007, 02:19:33 AM

Quote from: Kratz on February 07, 2007, 09:57:57 PM

I do NOT believe this is the real Kratz.

There is far too much optimism.

Yes. His account has most definitely been hacked.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2007, 01:49:21 AM »

A litle bit about the game length.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2007, 02:01:21 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 13, 2007, 01:49:21 AM

Ray Muzyka: I mean, it really depends on just how much you want to do on the uncharted worlds. I think itís going to be about 40 hours or so for the main story, so itís going to be a good-sized BioWare RPG just for the core part. Off the beaten path, thereís probably another 20 or 30 hours or so of stuff, or more, depending on how much you do and what order you do it in and all of that. Itís this non-linear exploration of uncharted worlds.

Absolutely fine by me. I don't have the time for another 100 hour Oblivion-like title anytime in the near future.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2007, 02:46:54 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 13, 2007, 02:01:21 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 13, 2007, 01:49:21 AM

Ray Muzyka: I mean, it really depends on just how much you want to do on the uncharted worlds. I think itís going to be about 40 hours or so for the main story, so itís going to be a good-sized BioWare RPG just for the core part. Off the beaten path, thereís probably another 20 or 30 hours or so of stuff, or more, depending on how much you do and what order you do it in and all of that. Itís this non-linear exploration of uncharted worlds.

Absolutely fine by me. I don't have the time for another 100 hour Oblivion-like title anytime in the near future.

Thats awesome-35-40 hour main story is PERFECT. Cannot wait.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2007, 03:28:33 AM »

Sounds good if it's not typical developer over inflation.  I've been very worried that ME was going to be way too short by having content cut out because it's part of a planned trilogy and they supposedly have major plans for downloadable content too. 
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2007, 04:57:27 AM »

This is my most anticipated game.  THe more I learn about it, the more I want it.  And the length is perfect.  I'm getting sick of all these 10-15 hour wonders, 40+ is more like it!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2007, 05:39:52 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 13, 2007, 03:28:33 AM

Sounds good if it's not typical developer over inflation.  I've been very worried that ME was going to be way too short by having content cut out because it's part of a planned trilogy and they supposedly have major plans for downloadable content too. 

Bioware has generally been reliable about giving us true length. I think they may have overstated the lenghts of the KOTOR games a bit, but they were pretty good with Jade estimates and their D&D games were certainly spot on.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2007, 07:00:09 AM »

KoTOR 1 took me a little under 90 hours, so it looks like ME will keep me busy for awhile.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2007, 08:13:46 AM »

i've made a mess in my pants looking at those screens paranoid

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2007, 01:11:28 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 13, 2007, 05:39:52 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 13, 2007, 03:28:33 AM

Bioware has generally been reliable about giving us true length. I think they may have overstated the lenghts of the KOTOR games a bit, but they were pretty good with Jade estimates and their D&D games were certainly spot on.

I don't know what they estimated about KOTOR, but both games took me in the neighborhood of about 50 hrs to complete.

40-70 hrs is spot on as far as I'm concerned.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2007, 09:15:16 PM »

I don't know what they estimated about KOTOR, but both games took me in the neighborhood of about 50 hrs to complete.

40-70 hrs is spot on as far as I'm concerned.

it was a long time ago, but ya i really dont think i finished in less than 35 which would be my most conservative guess as to my min play time
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2007, 09:16:43 PM »

New Screens!

EDIT: Frog images removed smile
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 09:20:04 PM by Andrew Mallon » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »

Oh dear sweet jesus h christ, what the world are we going to do until this beauty is released?? I want it more every single time I see a new screenshot that makes my jaw drop!!!!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2007, 11:25:07 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 28, 2007, 10:06:00 PM

Oh dear sweet jesus h christ, what the world are we going to do until this beauty is released?? I want it more every single time I see a new screenshot that makes my jaw drop!!!!

Uh...what screenshot?

Unless it's a shot of the BIGGEST yellow froggie I've ever seen (stating that this pic has been removed due to bandwith issues), I don't think it worked. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2007, 01:22:07 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 28, 2007, 11:25:07 PM

Unless it's a shot of the BIGGEST yellow froggie I've ever seen (stating that this pic has been removed due to bandwith issues), I don't think it worked. biggrin

No kidding!? Those graphics suck!  Obviously it's a rush job to get it out the door.  That better not be the final boss!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: