http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 07:44:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Mass Effect -- Two Weeks!  (Read 49690 times)
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2007, 09:46:13 PM »

The box art is finished:

Looking niiiiiiiiiiice....
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 03:46:00 PM by Andrew Mallon » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 09:56:17 PM »

I can't wait to find out which wins - my desire for Mass Effect and Blue Dragon or my promise to myself to wait until a price drop to buy a 360 slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 09:56:32 PM »

Last I checked about a week ago, EBGames had it shipping 4/2 (as in sometime after that date I think).  They now have another date of 5/22.   

How real could that date be?

- shaggy

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 10:07:45 PM »

Could be plenty real.  Mass Effect looks very far along, and a studio can do a lot in 4 months.  However, it's likely it'll be pushed to november considering how big the game is.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 10:18:08 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 23, 2007, 10:07:45 PM

Could be plenty real.  Mass Effect looks very far along, and a studio can do a lot in 4 months.  However, it's likely it'll be pushed to november considering how big the game is.

Yeah, there is no way they will release this in May. This has November game written all over it....which sucks cause it looks awesome and I want it now!  icon_biggrin

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 11:51:49 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 23, 2007, 10:18:08 PM

Yeah, there is no way they will release this in May. This has November game written all over it....which sucks cause it looks awesome and I want it now!  icon_biggrin

Nah, it'll be before November, there is no way they want to go head-to-head with halo 3.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 11:52:08 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on January 23, 2007, 11:51:49 PM

Quote from: Hetz on January 23, 2007, 10:18:08 PM

Nah, it'll be before November, there is no way they want to go head-to-head with halo 3.

And GTA4.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 12:46:25 AM »

Bioware had great success launching KOTOR in the summer so I could easily see the same happening with Mass Effect.  And, like mentioned, fall is looking plenty crowded as is. 
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 01:54:27 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 24, 2007, 12:46:25 AM

Bioware had great success launching KOTOR in the summer so I could easily see the same happening with Mass Effect.  And, like mentioned, fall is looking plenty crowded as is. 

Exactly. I've been saying with friends recently that I expect this to hit in the summer post-E3 (or whatever they're calling it now) most likely.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 05:30:31 AM »

Oh that is some sweet box art for me, I think the May date is unlikely. I think a July release or whatever is more plausible.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 06:08:42 AM »

Kinda busy.  But it's the box. Can't play the box.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 06:45:06 AM »

I've been reading more and more about Blue Dragon releasing in June. It will be interesting to see the most hyped JRPG vs the most hyped WRPG.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 01:47:29 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on January 24, 2007, 06:45:06 AM

I've been reading more and more about Blue Dragon releasing in June. It will be interesting to see the most hyped JRPG vs the most hyped WRPG.

Head to head, Mass Effect will chew up BD and spit it out.  However, I think both will do very well ultimately, with ME selling over a million and BD ending up more in the range of 500k. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 08:22:08 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 24, 2007, 06:08:42 AM

Kinda busy.  But it's the box. Can't play the box.

I refuse to go there.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 11:05:48 PM »

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 11:29:07 PM »

Now, please???
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 04:10:29 AM »

Damn those screens look hot can't wait to play it. nod

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 04:37:26 AM »

Quote from: pingwrx on January 28, 2007, 04:10:29 AM

Damn those screens look hot can't wait to play it. nod

What amazed me is that it looks that good in motion.  I'm really looking forward to this title....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 07:41:47 AM »

Those first two screenshots depict the recently-revealed main villain Saren Arterius.  Gamespy has an article about him here.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 07:55:55 AM »

His design style is not unlike General Grievous.  Thankfully, Lucas isn't around to turn him from a mass effect-user killing nightmare into a pansey.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2007, 01:35:47 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on January 28, 2007, 07:41:47 AM

Those first two screenshots depict the recently-revealed main villain Saren Arterius.  Gamespy has an article about him here.

I'm sure having the other Turian in your party will result in some great backstory in-game as well.  Man I can't wait for this game...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2007, 02:19:51 PM »

Wow! I'm diggin' those screenshots. Here's to hoping I've got an HDTV and 360 set-up by the time this comes out. It'll be the first BioWare game of this type (KOTOR) that I haven't just held out for the PC version.

Though that brings up a point - IIRC both KOTOR games had some game-stopping bugs on the XBox that got fixed with the PC editions. Chances of that happening again with Mass Effect?

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2007, 03:40:37 PM »

Can someone explain what I should expect the gameplay to be like without referencing their earlier games?
I can't get the sens eof how action-y it is.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2007, 04:41:58 PM »

I have a feeling that a lot of people are expecting Mass Effect to play a lot like Gears of War or Halo, and that those people are going to be very disappointed.  It's a lot like how Jade Empire's combat had little in common with Ninja Gaiden -- Mass Effect may put you behind the scope of a futuristic rifle, but the underlying mechanics are still those of a role-playing game.

Nobody expected Knights of the Old Republic to play like Jedi Knight II, but accepted it as an RPG set in the Star Wars universe.  Mass Effect has some elements of a shooter -- you do take direct control of your character and pull the trigger to shoot your weapon -- but  unless people can reset their expectations and accept this this is more RPG than FPS, I predict a lot of complaints from people who were expecting the next Ghost Recon: Advanced Warrior.

Personally, I'm *really* looking forward to this game.  Bioware proved to me with Jade Empire that they're fully capable to creating a deep and engaging new franchise from scratch, and if anything, the sci-fi setting of Mass Effect is even more in line with my tastes.  This is a Day 1 purchase for me.

-Autistic Angel[/i]
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2007, 05:11:16 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 28, 2007, 04:41:58 PM

I have a feeling that a lot of people are expecting Mass Effect to play a lot like Gears of War or Halo, and that those people are going to be very disappointed.  It's a lot like how Jade Empire's combat had little in common with Ninja Gaiden -- Mass Effect may put you behind the scope of a futuristic rifle, but the underlying mechanics are still those of a role-playing game.

Nobody expected Knights of the Old Republic to play like Jedi Knight II, but accepted it as an RPG set in the Star Wars universe.  Mass Effect has some elements of a shooter -- you do take direct control of your character and pull the trigger to shoot your weapon -- but  unless people can reset their expectations and accept this this is more RPG than FPS, I predict a lot of complaints from people who were expecting the next Ghost Recon: Advanced Warrior.

Personally, I'm *really* looking forward to this game.  Bioware proved to me with Jade Empire that they're fully capable to creating a deep and engaging new franchise from scratch, and if anything, the sci-fi setting of Mass Effect is even more in line with my tastes.  This is a Day 1 purchase for me.

-Autistic Angel[/i]
You just described everything I am looking forward to in this game.  Tactical, RPG, great story, etc. 

In the interests of answering Misguided, I've re-uploaded the videos that show this best.  Both videos show off the new dialog system, as well as the tactical combat controls.

http://www.gamingtrend.com/video/mass_effect_E306.zip  (102mb)

http://www.gamingtrend.com/video/mass_effect_X06.zip (128mb)

Enjoy!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2007, 06:09:52 PM »

I've seen the dialog bits (like in the bar, yes?). It's the action/combat that concerns me.
I don't play FPS games. Something along the lines of Twilight Princess I can handle.
Fable became too hard for me.
Oblivion sits unopened, but that's really more for fear that it is too open-ended for my tastes.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2007, 06:25:53 PM »

Both of those videos show the combat.  It is more RPG like as you can pause it, set your people to do what you want them to do, unpause it and take a few shots, then pause and replan.  Check out the videos, it explains it better than I can, but suffice to say it isn't anything like Fable or Oblivion from what I can see. From what I saw at E3, if you can handle Zelda, you can handle this.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2007, 07:57:42 PM »

Also, if you look at the videos you can tell that you're not actually doing fine aiming like in FPS games.  Instead, you target enemies to shoot at based on where you crosshair is, once targetted you pull the trigger to shoot, what happens is based on character and weapon stats.

Also, they've mentioned in interviews that the demo footage isn't really indicative of the full game since.  They wanted to show fast action in those vidoes, whereas the full game is making good use of cover elements and using your teammate's tactically.  So the battles will play out perhaps a bit more like GoW or R6, where you move from cover to cover and try to flank the enemy, but with the addition of special abilities that you and your teammates can use.

All in all, I'm looking forward to this, it's a lot like an RPG system I'd been designing on paper for a while.

The dialogue system, if it is what I think it is, could open new possibilities for co-op games.  Where not only can players help each other out in combat, but each player can interject comments, questions, and even take action during a dialogue scene instead of simply passively watching it unfold.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 08:01:26 PM by Turtle » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2007, 08:27:07 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 28, 2007, 07:57:42 PM

Also, if you look at the videos you can tell that you're not actually doing fine aiming like in FPS games.  Instead, you target enemies to shoot at based on where you crosshair is, once targetted you pull the trigger to shoot, what happens is based on character and weapon stats.

Also, they've mentioned in interviews that the demo footage isn't really indicative of the full game since.  They wanted to show fast action in those vidoes, whereas the full game is making good use of cover elements and using your teammate's tactically.  So the battles will play out perhaps a bit more like GoW or R6, where you move from cover to cover and try to flank the enemy, but with the addition of special abilities that you and your teammates can use.

All in all, I'm looking forward to this, it's a lot like an RPG system I'd been designing on paper for a while.

The dialogue system, if it is what I think it is, could open new possibilities for co-op games.  Where not only can players help each other out in combat, but each player can interject comments, questions, and even take action during a dialogue scene instead of simply passively watching it unfold.

I think the dialogue could truly be one of the revolutionary parts of this game if it works as well as it looks-as for the combat, I have no problem with it being slightly more actiony if that opens up new possibilities in the combat mechanics-and I truly believe this system will do that. It looks like it allows you to have interaction in the combat, and still leave the important parts up to the stats and modifiers-the heart of our RPG.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2007, 09:56:24 PM »

This is #1 on my list for the rest of this year.  Can't wait.  Just awesome looking in every way.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2007, 02:36:07 AM »

Yeah looks hot.

I hope it's very KOTOR ish.

I hope it is nothing like Jade Empire which was an empire found upon absolute SUCK.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2007, 04:18:17 AM »

Quote from: ATB on January 29, 2007, 02:36:07 AM

Yeah looks hot.

I hope it is nothing like Jade Empire which was an empire found upon absolute SUCK.

i loved jade empire,thought it was am great game

i heard it is like KOTOR,but with ghost recon/brothers in arms style play thrown in,tactical shooting with your team....what i heard anyway

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2007, 07:13:48 AM »

Quote from: ATB on January 29, 2007, 02:36:07 AM

Yeah looks hot.

Dude Jade Empire is not that bad at all. THis is kinda OCD
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2007, 08:00:08 AM »

don't mind ATB.  He had some bad crack awhile back  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2007, 03:34:30 PM »

i saw the guide on amazon for mass effect

http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-Prima-Official-Guide/dp/0761554084/sr=8-5/qid=1170171345/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/002-6649388-6214414?ie=UTF8&s=books

they say the guide is being released april 24th(i dunno,is that easter?)...says the same on amazon.co.uk

but what do amazon know?....hope its true though,LOL..thye wouldnt release the guide with out the game right?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 03:37:33 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2007, 04:21:39 PM »

You know, I'm surprised to say it, but I think this game might just drive me to finally buy a HDTV.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2007, 05:08:34 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 30, 2007, 03:34:30 PM

they say the guide is being released april 24th(i dunno,is that easter?)...says the same on amazon.co.uk

My brain says that it's just a placeholder so that they can sell pre-orders. 
My heart says that I should start getting my wife ready for a game that (if my Bioware history continues) will consume my spare time for two months...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2007, 05:09:22 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 30, 2007, 03:34:30 PM

i saw the guide on amazon for mass effect

http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-Prima-Official-Guide/dp/0761554084/sr=8-5/qid=1170171345/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/002-6649388-6214414?ie=UTF8&s=books

but what do amazon know?....hope its true though,LOL..thye wouldnt release the guide with out the game right?

Well, the guides are usually a week to two weeks prior to launch, so I could easily see an early May launch.  I'm gonna go ahead and hope for one too.  I'm dumb that way. biggrin

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2007, 05:16:39 PM »

IF...and i say IF....it is true,i still cant understand that only amazon has this knowledge

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2007, 05:27:54 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 30, 2007, 05:16:39 PM

IF...and i say IF....it is true,i still cant understand that only amazon has this knowledge

EB Games website shows a release date of 5/22.  So, combined with the Amazon strat guide listing, I think it's reasonable to say that Bioware is probably aiming at a May release date right now but that is, of course, subject to change.

Devs like to make a big deal about "it's done when it's done" but the reality is that the publisher has to make publicity decisions for ad buys, has to work with retailers for shelf space, end caps, and Sunday ads, and of couse is working with strat guide makers regarding planned publishing schedules for that.  So there is generally always a target or goal date and that is usually what is reflected on sites like EB Games because they usually get the information straight from the publisher.  Often the first indication that a title has been delayed is from one of the retailers web pages. 

So in this case, I don't find it unreasonable that Prima or whoever is doing the guide has informed Amazon that they are planning on publishing at the end of April.  And Prima probably schedules that off of what they here from Microsoft Game Studios. 

But we are still over three months out so things can change...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: