http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 02:12:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Mafia II impressions  (Read 3651 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2010, 04:30:05 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 31, 2010, 12:47:03 PM

Good news. I like the idea of "30 new quests" which I'm guessing means a lot less cutscenes. I don't think in the original game there were many more than 30 unique goals.

I am confused about the "second downloadable add-on" statement. I'm assuming this is referencing the PS3 unique The Betrayal of Jimmy. So we 360 owners will be going on a vendetta without actually seeing the betrayal? Or will the first DLC be released later on?

Anyway, assuming the new DLC is similar to the PS3 unique DLC, we can expect...
Unlike in the main Mafia II  storyline, you’ll rack up points for drifting, high speed driving, headshots, kill combos and more. Points pop up right on the screen, arcade style and giant, flashy icons like arrows point at targets – something you’d never see in the more authentically 1940s and 50s setting from the primary game mode.

I'd really like to get confirmation that the PS3 unique DLC will be coming to the 360, and when.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2010, 02:44:53 PM »

DLC is up now on XBLM.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2010, 08:12:37 PM »

Got the DLC. Very much a sandbox now with a bunch of "quests" you can complete. Points given for how quickly you accomplish your goal, kills, etc. Only some more playing will show if it's worth the 800 points, but at least this is nice addition to the story line missions.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2010, 09:39:06 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on September 07, 2010, 08:12:37 PM

Got the DLC. Very much a sandbox now with a bunch of "quests" you can complete. Points given for how quickly you accomplish your goal, kills, etc. Only some more playing will show if it's worth the 800 points, but at least this is nice addition to the story line missions.

This makes me kinda angry.  I hit the game for missing this sort of thing in the main game - this feels like it was cut and moved to DLC instead.   icon_evil

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2010, 09:50:28 PM »

How big is the download. I'm assuming all the assets were already on disc. We just needed to "unlock" it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:58:15 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2010, 09:53:44 PM »

I'm the opposite.  I have no interest in open world content so I won't be buying the DLC.  I got Mafia 2 for the linear story experience and I haven't been disappointed yet (up to Ch 12).  I never really enjoyed the open content of games like GTA/Saint's Row.  Some of it was fun for a couple of minutes but I would never want to do it again.  Red Dead is kind of an exception though.  There's something addictive about doing those challenges.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2010, 10:14:20 PM »

Quote from: spigot on September 07, 2010, 09:50:28 PM

How big is the download. I'm assuming all the assets were already on disc. We just needed to "unlock" it.

Download was 344MB, so there was some content not on the disk.

Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2010, 02:07:00 AM »

So it's not story at all?  Just integrates with the game as is for side stuff to do?
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2010, 02:17:25 AM »

Quote from: Travis on September 08, 2010, 02:07:00 AM

So it's not story at all?  Just integrates with the game as is for side stuff to do?

There's a very marginal "story", basically an introductory screen for each mission that ties the missions together. No cutscenes, no real storyline.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2010, 03:43:23 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 07, 2010, 09:39:06 PM

This makes me kinda angry.  I hit the game for missing this sort of thing in the main game - this feels like it was cut and moved to DLC instead.   icon_evil

I can understand your frustration, but honestly, I think people docking points due to lack of sandbox mode are docking because it wasn't the game they had envision.  Mafia 1 was all about story in an open world.  Yes games have evolved since then, but mafia was always about story first, and I'd say the city itself was one of the characters in the story.  The same can be said for Mafia 2.  It was about following the life of a member of the mafia.

But ever since the horse armor in Oblivion, people who bought that sent game developers the message that it's ok to ship an incomplete game, and charge for the rest.  This will now be the standard, as developers and publishers try to keep new money coming in.

Docking points for that reason, I'd say you have a valid point, but docking it because it didn't have a feature that you wanted (and when I say you, I'm not singling you out, but sites like eurogamer and others I've read) is kinda unfair. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2010, 05:28:44 AM »

Quote from: naednek on September 08, 2010, 03:43:23 AM

I can understand your frustration, but honestly, I think people docking points due to lack of sandbox mode are docking because it wasn't the game they had envision.  Mafia 1 was all about story in an open world.  Yes games have evolved since then, but mafia was always about story first, and I'd say the city itself was one of the characters in the story.  The same can be said for Mafia 2.  It was about following the life of a member of the mafia.

But ever since the horse armor in Oblivion, people who bought that sent game developers the message that it's ok to ship an incomplete game, and charge for the rest.  This will now be the standard, as developers and publishers try to keep new money coming in.

Docking points for that reason, I'd say you have a valid point, but docking it because it didn't have a feature that you wanted (and when I say you, I'm not singling you out, but sites like eurogamer and others I've read) is kinda unfair. 

I don't know, I can understand docking points for something like that, especially since Mafia 1 had Free Ride mode (and Extreme Free Ride) where you could run around after the game, and it was included for free.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2010, 05:31:44 AM »

Quote from: naednek on September 08, 2010, 03:43:23 AM

I agree with you that reviews shouldn't knock a game for not having something that wasn't intended.  And although now it seems it was intended, it wasn't known at the time.

As for the DLC already on the disc debate, many times, and I believe this is one, the deadline arrives, and there's a feature that they want to add at a later time, but they've already been working on it and some of the elements are ready and can be stored on the disc in advance.  What's the problem in that?  It's saving you a download and possibly load times.  They could of course just hold off on it, but some of it's ready and there's room on the disc.  The reason you still have to pay for it is that there's still work to be done and time to be spent.  You paid for your game and you got it.  If you want the extra feature that they spent extra time on, you pay for that (usually).  

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2010, 09:51:06 PM »

according to Teamxbox the DLC adds 'over' 30 City quests..and er...leaderboard rankings

whether the 'over' 30 quests means 31 or 32,i am not sure

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2010, 08:32:10 PM »

Eurogamer have done their Head to Head thing that they always do..of course the PC version wins

from the videos provided though,i really can't see much of a difference between the 3

there is a 360 Vs PC vid on page 3...again,meh

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mafia-ii-face-off?page=1

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2010, 09:46:16 PM »

I'm 64% complete with Jimmy's Vendetta, four hours twenty minutes playing on Medium difficulty and I have to say that it's growing on me. The missions not only get harder as you go along, but they also get more complex. I couldn't really care about my score versus others on XBL, so I'm playing with fun in mind rather than, for instance, trying to make kills close enough together in time that I achieve extra points. You get to steal cars (and Army trucks!), destroy crates and cars, kill guys, even shoot up a bar!

Also I'm playing like a psycho. I speed everywhere, am constantly in trouble with the cops, but never take the easy way out at a phone booth. I dump my hot cars and buy new clothes. And I drive like a manic  nod

UPDATE: and my max speed... 134.94 mph  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 10:00:14 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2010, 01:45:30 AM »

Do achievements still unlock from the main game and can you still find Playboys?

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2010, 04:45:42 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 10, 2010, 01:45:30 AM

and can you still find Playboys?

The Playboys only appear at very specific points in the story, so I strongly doubt it. There's not a single one you can find outside of its specific time and place.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2010, 05:36:06 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 10, 2010, 04:45:42 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 10, 2010, 01:45:30 AM

and can you still find Playboys?

The Playboys only appear at very specific points in the story, so I strongly doubt it. There's not a single one you can find outside of its specific time and place.

True.  So, how about the Wanted posters?

I was most of the way through the game before I even knew I was supposed to be looking for them.  I found one.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2010, 03:30:43 PM »

Wow, what a joke (look at the neck) with this $DLC (which the game needed because as Ron put it, Mafia 2 was a sandbox game with no toys - but look, here they are for even more money!).

Pathetic.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2010, 03:36:52 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 10, 2010, 03:30:43 PM

Wow, what a joke (look at the neck)

maybe he just likes wearing crew neck t-shirts while sunbathing  icon_wink

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2010, 03:22:21 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 10, 2010, 03:36:52 PM

Quote from: Destructor on September 10, 2010, 03:30:43 PM

Wow, what a joke (look at the neck)

maybe he just likes wearing crew neck t-shirts while sunbathing  icon_wink

Looks to me like he's wearing an undershirt... don't see the 'joke' here, sorry.  icon_neutral

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2010, 04:15:57 AM »

Finished all but one of the "Jimmy's Vendetta" missions. The last was just too much of a pain to keep trying over and over. My verdict? I won't be buying the other DLC when they release it. It's just not worth it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2010, 02:56:32 PM »

Joe's Adventures has been announced.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2010, 05:20:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 16, 2010, 02:56:32 PM

Well crap, I was all set to swear off any more DLC for Mafia II, but if it's going to add more narrative and new locations I might have to change my mind. And maybe with this third DLC they will also make the first, PS3-only DLC available for the rest of us as well. If they do, I'm sure Microsoft would port the Halo series over to the Playstation, right?  slywink

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2010, 06:35:18 PM »

Sure, halo reach is slated for 2013.

Btw, did you know that MS is very convinced the end of the world will be in 2012?  True story I just made up.

I'll wait for the inevitable gold edition and rent it. I did pretty much everything I wanted to do in mafia 2.  What I would actually be interested in would be a continuation of the story past the ending with Joe in some kind of what-if scenario like he DLC for the force unleashed.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2010, 09:10:13 PM »

The DLC, Joe's Adventures is coming on the 23rd. We've got screenshots (Link to news).

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2010, 07:47:16 PM »

I'm late to the party, yet again....

I really don't think of this game as highly as most here do. I think the actual mission content/gameplay was a ton of fun, but I really got sick of all the endless driving around. It really felt like they made you drive so much to pad what is already a short game. Generally speaking I liked the story - playing through various mob movie cliches/scenes was a hoot. But, I really didn't care for the ending or its abruptness.

I also want to point out how worthless the manual was. I had no idea there were wanted posters in the game at all until I noticed that I found none of them when looking at my final stats.

I was also woefully bad at finding Playboy pictures. Amusingly, I only spent 18 seconds looking at them. (I think I found two of them.)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2010, 01:43:48 AM »

Yeah, just beat it myself. Driving wasn't too bad, assuming you broke the law and sped all the time (which was easy to do, because you'd just 'magically' slam on your brakes (whatever button was the speed-limiter) whenever a cop showed up and you were fine). And it was funny how everybody commented upon your speed issues. biggrin

How the story ended though...yeah, I wasn't a fan of that. At all.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2010, 02:01:01 AM »

Even speeding AND listening to the great soundtrack on the radio, I very quickly got sick of all the driving. It was total filler after a while.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2010, 04:32:26 AM »

The first review of the Mafia II add-on Joe's Adventures is out from Worthplaying.com, giving it an 8/10

The first thing to understand about Joe's Adventures is that this is not your typical DLC. The estimated eight hours of gameplay being advertised by 2K is not an inflated marketing number. Assuming you're playing on at least medium difficulty, it's a realistic expectation. Right out of the gate, you're pretty much guaranteed a good value for your gaming dollar. The typical length for a standard DLC expansion is a mere hour. By offering up a DLC add-on that is only $10 and has about two-thirds the content of the original game, 2K is significantly raising the bar for other publishers. The content is easily on par with what PC gamers have come to expect from standalone expansion packs.

The second thing you need to know about Joe's Adventures is that most of its flaws are attributable to issues with the core game engine. They are problems that are present in the original game, so in short, if you enjoyed Mafia II, you're likely to enjoy Joe's Adventures.

and...

Joe's Adventures delivers more of what you've come to expect from the game. The new areas are memorable, and the story-focused missions do a good job of explaining exactly how things came to be while Vito was away. There are no major game engine changes (so don't expect public transit to make an appearance or for massive numbers of buildings to suddenly become explorable), but the sheer amount of content makes Joe's Adventures difficult to ignore.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2011, 01:27:00 AM »

Mafia II directors cut revealed

A Mafia II: Director's Cut edition has not only been revealed on Amazon, but it appears the online retailer will ship you a copy today.

According to the box art on the site, you get the Mafia II game along with "three additional story packs" and "four cars and clothes packs" all in one hefty $29.99 MSRP bundle (although obviously Amazon's slicing $5 off that price). The game's listed for all three platforms (PC, PS3, 360).

Surprisingly for a new game revelation, it appears the game is out and ready for your order right now. Yet we've called a number of GameStop Stores around Las Vegas and none have any knowledge of it so it's not in retail or even on their release schedules.

The three story packs it refers to is almost certainly the three previously released DLC packs, PS3-exclusive 'The Betrayal of Jimmy', plus 'Joe's Adventures' and 'Jimmy's Vendetta'.

The car and clothes packs were originally offered as pre-order incentives.

We await official confirmation from 2K.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: