http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 04:14:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Mafia II impressions  (Read 3792 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2010, 06:15:02 PM »

Got it and have been playing about an hour.

First impression... the manual is a two page spread image of the controls, the credits, an XBL tease, health warnings... and that's it. I guess you learn as you go (?)

Lots of cut scenes. Lots. Seriously. However it's telling the story, introducing the characters, etc. Your combat tutorial takes place in Sicily where as part of the US Army you are... well, I'll let you see for yourselves.

Really nice looking Empire City, at least on the 360. No doubt lots of dandelions under the snow  icon_lol. I'm playing on Normal difficulty. Apparently if you play on Hard you unlock pin-ups (these are NOT the Playboy images), but since it isn't mentioned in the manual, I hadn't a clue as to what they look like. Still, Betty Grable won't do a lot for me anyway.

One bug. I turned off the music (I never play with music) and in the next cutscene in a railway station there was no sound except the dialog. Weird. Seems to have fixed itself, so maybe it has nothing to do with turning off the music.

More as I proceed.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 06:33:41 PM »

Got my copy and popped it in, but haven't done anything. Manuals are really quite a joke these days. I don't know why they bother anymore. I guess it's just a formality. Two pages for the default control mappings and 2 pages of fine print legalese. The pin-up extras sound cool since I'm into the 1950's pin-up art.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 06:48:09 PM »

I should mention that my copy also had a paper map in it, it duplicates the in-game map.

Further along now. I've run into the first (of ??) minigames; picking the lock on a car. It's the alternative to just breaking the window.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:14:09 PM »

More impressions...

2:35 into the game, 14% complete. Only three Playboy magazines found  icon_frown. Ten achievements of forty-seven completed.

Driving in snow-covered Empire City is lots of fun. Some roads are icy and you can really power slide around. On Normal cops aren't too difficult to outrun.

Very linear campaign construction which probably isn't going to sit well with the fans of sandbox-like GTA games. Some missions are a bit dull, but others are quite complex and combine stealth and combat. And so far they have been vary different.

I do understand the comments by reviewers about how the city is underutilized by the game. I'm 14% done, which is quite a lot considering I haven't been rushing through missions and have driven around and did some exploring. I feel like if this was GTA San Andreas I'd still be in the middle of the missions in the Grove Street cul de sac, that early, but in Mafia II I'm one seventh of the way done.

Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 09:43:02 PM »

How's the difficulty on combat?  I played the first Mafia on PC and really enjoyed it.  I played Max Payne on the Xbox and did well.  However, I suck at FPS on the Xbox and really didn't like the GTA combat controlls.  I love Mafia stories so much, I really want to do well in this game.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 11:24:49 PM »

Quote from: Travis on August 24, 2010, 09:43:02 PM

How's the difficulty on combat? 

The demo is representative of the combat difficulty on Normal. The cover system works well and you'll need to use it to stay alive. Usually one bullet won't kill you, but two or three will, so it's important to move to cover and take snap shots. When you take a hit or two your health drops quickly. If you stay in cover your health recovers, but not all the way, so it's important not to go running around running and gunning. You don't need to have hyper-reactions to win a fight, just some caution and common sense.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 11:25:46 PM »

i may wait for this to be cheaper..the reviews are so-so right now,with the usual Eurogamer seemingly going over the top again and giving it a 4/10...which i can't believe for a minute its that bad
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-23-mafia-ii-review

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 11:46:39 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 24, 2010, 11:25:46 PM

i may wait for this to be cheaper..the reviews are so-so right now,with the usual Eurogamer seemingly going over the top again and giving it a 4/10...which i can't believe for a minute its that bad

Eurogamer's reviews aren't over the top, they just aren't sugar-coated whatsoever. They seem to have zero fear of publishers and that's why I respect them so much. I was surprised at first too but reading the review put it into perspective.

Not that I think the game is not worth playing, the little I saw from the demo showed a lot of promise and honestly I was blown away. It just doesn't seem to hold up the entire way through.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:51:03 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 12:16:52 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 24, 2010, 11:46:39 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 24, 2010, 11:25:46 PM

Eurogamer's reviews aren't over the top, they just aren't sugar-coated whatsoever. They seem to have zero fear of publishers and that's why I respect them so much. I was surprised at first too but reading the review put it into perspective.

Not that I think the game is not worth playing, the little I saw from the demo showed a lot of promise and honestly I was blown away. It just doesn't seem to hold up the entire way through.

i can certainly see what you mean,but i for one can not believe that the game is a 4/10...4 out of 10 for me is an absolutely terrible score on par with some of the worse games..sure Mafia II may not be a great game,from what i have heard its certainly seems an average game,but no way does it come off from being a dire shit game that is a 4

and its not zero fear towards devs and publishers i get from their scores of their reviews,it seems more like they want the attention,because this is an occurring theme

and FWIW-they gave Mafia 1 on the PC a 4/10 as well

King Kong they gave 8/10 saywhat

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 12:29:13 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 25, 2010, 12:16:52 AM

If true then they have no credibility at all with me. The first Mafia might not have been perfect, but it was an excellent game, at least 8.5/10. Eurogamer's reviewer must be sniffing the printer powder again.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 12:30:51 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 25, 2010, 12:29:13 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 25, 2010, 12:16:52 AM

If true then they have no credibility at all with me. The first Mafia might not have been perfect, but it was an excellent game, at least 8.5/10. Eurogamer's reviewer must be sniffing the printer powder again.

Yeah, no kidding.  Mafia 1 on consoles was a weak port, but the PC game is a modern classic.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 06:30:50 AM »

I'm not claiming that they are on point 100% of the time, but the vast majority of the time and certainly more often than any other major gaming source that I frequent they are spot on. A 4/10 means below average with them, according to their scoring policy. I recall playing Mafia and quitting because of the difficulty, and I remember a lot of people here downloading save files that get you past certain tough spots. So even in the case of the first Mafia the score holds up for me personally.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 02:47:35 PM »

Mafia 1 was and is a classic, so if they think 1 was a 4 and this one is a 4, then it must be another classic.  smile

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 03:03:04 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 25, 2010, 06:30:50 AM

I'm not claiming that they are on point 100% of the time, but the vast majority of the time and certainly more often than any other major gaming source that I frequent they are spot on. A 4/10 means below average with them, according to their scoring policy. I recall playing Mafia and quitting because of the difficulty, and I remember a lot of people here downloading save files that get you past certain tough spots. So even in the case of the first Mafia the score holds up for me personally.

The race was a pain in the ass.  I bought a steering wheel just to get past it.  Many, many missions were incredibly challenging, requiring double-digit restarts.  I have still never finished the final level (and have tried again recently).

I think the first Mafia on the PC is one of the finest examples of modern gaming ever to hit the market.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 06:55:33 PM »

Eurogamer giving Mafia 1 4/10 is almost as bad as the infamous Tom Chick review of Deus Ex.  I had to read it - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_mafia

It seems they just wanted a GTA clone.  I liked Mafia 1 because it wasn't like GTA.

One of their ridiculous complaints:

Where GTA3 is packed full of fast, exciting cars to steal and drive, Mafia is stuck with lumbering clunkers that hobble along at a snail's pace and accelerate from nought to sixty in a time that is measured in minutes rather than seconds.

I'll probably be picking up Mafia 2 tonight.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:57:15 PM by skystride » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 07:08:36 PM »

it's hard not to compare them though.  I'm liking Mafia 2 (on the PC) but other than the main missions there's not much else to do with this wide open city they give you.  to me it almost feels like the drives home after a mission is done are the dev's padding the game so it isn't shorter.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 08:20:19 PM »

If you're comparing it with the first game, then they really haven't done anything wrong. They've stuck to the same formula the first one had. You've got the pseudo "open-world" environment with not much else to do besides driving from plot point to plot point and a tightly linear narrative rife with mafia/mob cliches you've seen in every television show and movie. Of course there are improvements such as the combat, graphics, music, etc.

In light of the steps the GTA games have made and especially after the release of games like RDR though, it's hard not to feel that the game could have been so much more given the development time from the last release and general improvements to the genre. It doesn't seem to aim high, it just goes for "good enough".
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 08:27:58 PM by spigot » Logged

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 08:21:18 PM »

One-third of the way through. Low point, showering with other men  icon_frown

High point, driving around while two drunks in the car sang along with Dean Martin's "Return to Me"  thumbsup. Niko Bellic never had it so good.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 09:28:45 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 25, 2010, 08:21:18 PM

One-third of the way through. Low point, showering with other men  icon_frown

Is there a shower fight like the one in Eastern Promises? ninja
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 09:33:12 PM »

One-third of the way through. Low point, showering with other men

At least they were wearing shorts.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 10:20:13 PM »

At 38% complete, elapsed time 6:24. Fast speed reached in the game, 115.53 mph  icon_biggrin. Only 6 Playboy mags so far, and the ones I did find weren't always out in the open.

Driving is a lot of fun in the game.

I wouldn't say that the developers said "good enough" and just stopped adding things, since the game does feel finished regarding quality and design. I just think the game maintains the feel of the first game, being a very linear series of missions. There are options to explore, customize clothing and cars, and if desired create some mayhem, but these don't change the direction of the story. 

There are a lot of cut scenes, but not too many. The main objective of the game, IMO, is to tell a story while allowing the player to take a role in parts of it.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 02:03:37 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 25, 2010, 03:03:04 PM

Quote from: Ridah on August 25, 2010, 06:30:50 AM

The race was a pain in the ass.  I bought a steering wheel just to get past it.  Many, many missions were incredibly challenging, requiring double-digit restarts.  I have still never finished the final level (and have tried again recently).

I think the first Mafia on the PC is one of the finest examples of modern gaming ever to hit the market.

x2. The only parts that *really* gave me fits are that damn race and the garage. I did complete the game, though. It's up there among some of the greatest games I've ever played in my lifetime.
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 04:21:38 AM »

I never compared Mafia 1 to GTA.  I compared it more to Max Payne.  They are both very focused on story.  IMO, that's a good thing.
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 01:21:41 PM »

Got up to Chapter 10 last night. So far, I haven't really been impressed by anything about it. The whole affair just seems like a bland by-the-numbers routine. For a city that appears to be hustling and bustling, it feels rather dead and empty. Empire Bay is nothing but superfluous window dressing for the main storyline, it just doesn't feel like a fluid and organic environment. At least the driving now isn't as painful as the first game where every car felt like driving a tank, although there is still a lot of driving from one part of the map to another. Thankfully the destinations are fairly close and nowhere near as bad as Far Cry 2 where it seems they forced you to continually drive from one distant corner of the map to another.

The melee combat is kind of a joke - simplistic, rudimentary and tacked-on: hold A, wait for dodge, counter-punch, rinse-repeat, do finishing move. Again, it's there just to be there, in support of the narrative.

The only thing keeping me playing is the story, and it isn't that great to begin with. I'm not finding anything particularly likable about Vito either as a character. He's just an empty, morally ambiguous vessel being led around by his nose by anyone willing to give him the time of day.

Maybe there's some hidden brilliance I'm missing or maybe the last portion of the game will completely blow my mind. Until then, color me utterly underwhelmed by the whole experience.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 06:17:52 PM by spigot » Logged

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 05:49:29 PM »

Played up through chapter 6 and I am enjoying it. It isn't the deepest game and in light of RDR and other advancements in the genre, nothing terribly new either. Despite this, the environment is very nice and detailed and I love driving around just to see everything. The different elements are all well done and there isn't a sense of rushing to get it out the door. The game only seems lacking when compared to it's contemporaries. Is that fair?  Of course it is and at the same time, isn't. I put this into the same boat as crackdown 2, another sequel that adds almost nothing new to the original design. Both are solid games but both could have been better in the innovation department.

Giving this one an 8 so far and even though I haven't finished it yet, i see no reason it deserves higher or lower scores.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 11:37:05 PM »

I'm about half way through and I'm really enjoying it. Yes, the fist fighting isn't the most complicated affair, but then I didn't want to have to learn a bunch of combo moves, so that's fine with me. On Normal winning a fight isn't a guarantee, but if you use some caution you'll win more often than losing.

Gun combat on Normal difficulty isn't too hard, but you do have to be careful to use cover. It's enjoyable to use flanking moves, switch weapons and just shoot up the scenery  icon_lol

Driving is a joy. Big clumsy cars drive like big, clumsy cars. Powerful roadsters drive like... well, you get the idea. Car chases take some real skill. Usually you can run away from police, but it isn't always easy. But it is fun.

This is not a sandbox, GTA/RDR type of game. There aren't a lot of side activities to do. You aren't going to spend eighty hours on it unless you want to drive yourself crazy getting all the collectibles. You don't have any real reason to go off the nominal story line.

What Mafia II is is an story in which you get to act out certain parts, but you don't have the freedom to simply write your own plot. It's really like the first one in this regard. You don't have to like Vito, any more than you had to like Ahab or Scarlett O'hara or Fagan or Don Corleone . This is an interactive novel.

Speaking of novels, and somewhat off-topic, anyone here ever read a Dashiell Hammett novel called Red Harvest? While Mafia II doesn't match it in plot, the general feel of the game is much like Red Harvest.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:39:10 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010, 12:21:59 AM »

Ya its nothing special gameplay wise. The story isn't so hot, but it drips of polish.

That's helped my enjoyment a ton. My wife walked in when I found my first playboy, and instantly was like "what the hell are you playing?". "MAFIA!". "Ooookay..."

Loved it Tongue
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 03:40:15 AM »

Finished the game tonight  icon_cry:. About twelve and a half hours elapsed time. I was rating it a nine, but I'll drop that to an 8.5 due to the short length. I found it an excellent story, the combination of cutscenes and interactivity made it very entertaining, and the driving and gunplay were challenging but not too difficult on Normal. I only found eight Playboys and only one wanted poster, which seems odd.

Downsides? Too short. And... gee, that's about all I have to complain about. No, it didn't have minigames or side quests worth speaking of, but I didn't get it expecting any of that, so I wasn't disappointed.

I can go back and play any individual chapter now, at any difficulty, so I don't have to start a new game from scratch. Don't know when or if I'll do that. There is supposed to be DLC for it coming out "this fall" according to an ad on the back of the manual. Maybe I'll fire it up then.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 03:43:26 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 28, 2010, 03:40:15 AM

Finished the game tonight  icon_cry:. About twelve and a half hours elapsed time. I was rating it a nine, but I'll drop that to an 8.5 due to the short length. I found it an excellent story, the combination of cutscenes and interactivity made it very entertaining, and the driving and gunplay were challenging but not too difficult on Normal. I only found eight Playboys and only one wanted poster, which seems odd.

How many chapters were there?  feel free to put i in spoilers.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 03:53:00 AM »

Number of chapters are...
Spoiler for Hiden:
about 16 I think.
What throws you off on this is that when you are doing your last mission, you don't know it's your last mission, or more importantly, why it's the last mission in the game. I won't say any more than that since it really does come as a surprise.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 03:54:20 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 28, 2010, 03:53:00 AM

Number of chapters are...
Spoiler for Hiden:
about 16 I think.
What throws you off on this is that when you are doing your last mission, you don't know it's your last mission, or more importantly, why it's the last mission in the game. I won't say any more than that since it really does come as a surprise.

thanks.  I was wondering how much further I had to go, figured I was getting towards the end anyways.

Because I can,
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 05:17:32 PM »

Just beat it. Final grade: C+

Progress - 73%.
Time - 11:18:13.
19/50 Playboys unlocked.
Time spent in Playboy articles - 00:01:40.
Playmate #42 -  drool

Best ending, ever.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 08:26:14 PM by spigot » Logged

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 05:53:06 PM »

Quote from: spigot on August 28, 2010, 05:17:32 PM

Best ending, ever.

Wasn't it though?  nod

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 06:08:21 PM »

Wow, you're fast.  Not so much a spigot as a spout.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2010, 06:28:46 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 28, 2010, 06:08:21 PM

Wow, you're fast.  Not so much a spigot as a spout.

i guess #42 must be really nice. 

Playmate #42 -  drool

spigot

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 02:08:53 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 28, 2010, 05:53:06 PM

Best ending, ever.

Wasn't it though?  nod

Phenomenal.  saywhat

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 02:31:49 PM »

Finished the game.

Loved it.

Selling on eBay.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2010, 09:53:45 PM »

How much and would you consider a trade?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2010, 10:31:08 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on August 30, 2010, 09:53:45 PM

How much and would you consider a trade?

lets talk about in the trading forum or PM
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 12:47:03 PM »

new DLC on the 7th September

http://kotaku.com/5626249/mafia-ii-upcoming-dlc-packs-a-vendetta/gallery/

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: