http://gamingtrend.com
December 23, 2014, 12:20:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Lost Planet impressions  (Read 6333 times)
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2007, 02:44:40 PM »

Sheesh.  Green Eyes is not playing around!

Going to have to give the multi a whirl soon.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2007, 03:27:47 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on January 15, 2007, 05:37:28 AM

Man, switching from composite to component cables makes one hell of a difference!  icon_eek
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2007, 03:44:05 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on January 15, 2007, 03:27:47 PM

Man, switching from composite to component cables makes one hell of a difference!  icon_eek

icon_lol

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2007, 09:31:05 PM »

Got it!!!!  That is the ball game.  If anyone needs help beating a boss or something just shout and I will help out.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2007, 09:34:18 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on January 15, 2007, 03:27:47 PM

Really?

I can't see much of a difference there.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2007, 11:13:37 PM »

I have this... but have not yet opened it to play.  I figure I will this week when the WoW login servers explode.

gellar
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2007, 06:11:38 PM »

I still really like this game. Even though the characters and plot suck balls, the setting is still more exotic and fun than the grimy, dreary, testosteroney look of Gears of War. I just love the Akrid enemies. Definitely the best bug alien enemies ever put in a game.

I played it for hours and hours yesterday, mostly working on the Mission 4 boss (giant butterfly thing.) I was having a bitch of a time beating him, so I replayed the whole level leading up to him and made sure I had better weapons and more thermal energy by the time I reached him. That helped a lot but it still took me about 20 more tries.

The levels seem to be growing shorter so there's very little time between boss fights. I can't believe how mammoth and stunning the boss monsters look. So far I haven't approached golden cock monkey frustration status but I've been a'cussin and a'couch-punchin a few times. Today I will beat Green Eyes!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2007, 08:59:44 PM »

Green Eyes... that fight is rough enough on normal... can't imagine taking him on in hard mode.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2007, 09:08:05 PM »

I played it for about 10 minutes last night and felt like I almost had him. (Green Eyes is the big armadillo-lookin bug with yellow spots on both sides and on his head, right? You fight him indoors?) I got all the spots on his flanks and the four on his head and then a bigger spot opened up to his brain but I died before I could shoot it.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2007, 10:34:09 PM »

yeah that is him

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2007, 06:27:38 AM »

Quote from: rrmorton on January 16, 2007, 09:08:05 PM

I played it for about 10 minutes last night and felt like I almost had him. (Green Eyes is the big armadillo-lookin bug with yellow spots on both sides and on his head, right? You fight him indoors?) I got all the spots on his flanks and the four on his head and then a bigger spot opened up to his brain but I died before I could shoot it.

i think you only need one shot,to that spot and then its dead...thats what happened to me anyway...but if that is the case...thats some hard luck for you,as that boss is a pain...some later bosses were much easier than green eye i thought

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2007, 07:37:10 AM »

Some bosses are big.  BIG.  Did I mention really really really BIG?

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2007, 09:13:55 AM »

MP is quite fun.  We need to get a match going!  Went from rank 1 to rank 9 in two games.  Finished 2nd in the last game. 

And then my brand new 360 gave me a disc read error.  sigh.  Turns out there was a small black piece of something on the disc...

Just noticed the stats section. I like them, wish there were more.  I've encountered 26 players, gotten 2 elite kills.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 09:17:44 AM by Jarrodhk » Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
moore
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2007, 09:31:53 PM »

Hey Jarrod, if you are playing tonight look me up, I'm loving this game.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2007, 06:58:19 PM »

It took me 199 minutes and 50 seconds to beat mission 8 on Saturday night but, man, what a blast. The overlapping highway overpass level reminded me of a Burnout Crash Mode challenge.

Mission 9 is shaping up to be even harder. I love this game. The action never lets up and it requires a lot of on-the-fly tactical planning. Your choice of weapons and ammo management, using mechs wisely, the route you take through a level, trying to maximize the thermal energy available, it all adds up to an incredibly fun trigger-finger and brain-challenging experience. I have such a great time playing it, I rarely get discouraged by the difficulty I signed up for. It's just an awesome game.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 07:04:16 PM by rrmorton » Logged
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2007, 08:02:24 PM »

I'm pretty sure that hard mode would suck the fun out of the game for me Tongue  Let alone extreme.

Might try it just to see sometime though.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2007, 08:12:28 PM »

One thing they really blew it on with the grappling hook: wouldn't it be so cool if you could grapple a mech and whip forward then jump up and land in the mech cockpit? That would also eliminate the frustration of trying to get in a mech and accidentally removing one of it's weapons instead.

Extreme mode must be laughably impossible.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2007, 08:34:43 PM »

Agreed.  I'd like the option on the open cockpit VS' to jump up and kick the enemy pilot out.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2007, 09:08:15 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on January 22, 2007, 08:12:28 PM

One thing they really blew it on with the grappling hook: wouldn't it be so cool if you could grapple a mech and whip forward then jump up and land in the mech cockpit? That would also eliminate the frustration of trying to get in a mech and accidentally removing one of it's weapons instead.

Extreme mode must be laughably impossible.

I would settle for being able to use the grapple while jumping or falling.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2007, 09:53:38 PM »

Yeah, that too.

Seems like Capcom likes to include lots of botched design decisions and missed opportunites so they'll have plenty of improvements to include in their sequels.  icon_biggrin
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2007, 04:33:24 AM »

I picked this up yesterday.  After mission 1 I'm already not liking it.  I'm hoping that it improves as I go on.

And seriously...wtf with these stupid retread storylines?  Capcom is one of the worst offenders with this recycling program...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2007, 04:43:08 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 28, 2007, 04:33:24 AM

I picked this up yesterday.  After mission 1 I'm already not liking it.  I'm hoping that it improves as I go on.

And seriously...wtf with these stupid retread storylines?  Capcom is one of the worst offenders with this recycling program...

It was ok not great by any stretch.  I think that I will trade this in with COD 3 for Battlestations on Tuesday.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2007, 05:57:05 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 28, 2007, 04:33:24 AM

I have tried to get into this like 3 times, I have gotten to mission 4. I do not like it one little bit. I find it derivative, boring, uninspired, and the action lackluster. I am very glad you all are enjoying it, and I hope you continue to do so-but this one isn't for me.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2007, 06:01:49 AM »

I almost want to finish it for the sake of finishing it. The multiplayer is pretty fun, but I don't do a ton of MP gaming as it is. The singleplayer is lacking. I think the boss fights are formulaic and reek of 1994 game development 101. I like the basic gameplay, but the whole package is missing something. I think I will probably sell it.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2007, 09:52:25 PM »

On mission 11 final boss and of all of them this one is my least favorite.  I liked the game overall and I am looking to finish in less than 11 hours.  About right for me.   I too will most likely sell it cheap as I am finding MP just ain't fun for me anymore.  Coop is the only MP I care for anymore I think, but this game does not have coop online that I could find.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2007, 02:33:15 AM »

What kinda crack are you all smoking? I love this game.

Hmm, perhaps it is I who am the cracksmoker?
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2007, 07:30:36 AM »

Well, I finally beat the boss at the end of mission 9. It took me dozens of tries but I finally got through it. Nothing beats two gatling guns just shredding it to bits at the same time.

Anyone know how many more missions I have left in the game?

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2007, 08:01:08 AM »

i think there are 11 missions altogether..and level 11 isnt really a level...you'll see,anyway

yup..see here for the letter locations

http://www.lostnovice.com/work/lostplanet/

PS,i enjoyed it as well,and i quite like the online of it as well

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2007, 10:00:14 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 28, 2007, 06:01:49 AM

I almost want to finish it for the sake of finishing it. The multiplayer is pretty fun, but I don't do a ton of MP gaming as it is. The singleplayer is lacking. I think the boss fights are formulaic and reek of 1994 game development 101. I like the basic gameplay, but the whole package is missing something. I think I will probably sell it.

I quit right after my last post. Really just hated this game frown
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2007, 12:49:57 PM »

that was one of OXM s good points(you know how they have good points and bad points) that they said the bosses were 'old school',LOL

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »

well, the forum effect failed on this one.  I almost bought it, but the store was sold out and when they got them back in I was just 'meh'.  Maybe I'll Gamefly it (if I ever resub to them that is).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2007, 03:31:18 PM »

i think its a good title...but maybe for most it would be best renting it for a few nights

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2007, 04:27:06 PM »

Unless someone can help me I'm probably done with this game.  I cannot, repeat, CANNOT get pass the damn hornet on Mission #4!  This is the one where you are in a canyon of sorts with one large rock (two rocket launchers are on top of the rock).  I must have played this segment over about 30 times and I'm giving up.  I've tried the Vital Suits.  I've tried the rocket launchers.  I've tried the laser rifle.  I tried combo's of each.  I tried an all out attack.  I tried hiding behind the rock and firing.  I tried constantly moving and firing.  Nothing works.  And to top it all off you have to beat this bastard quickly because you have a limited supply of thermal energy.  Only four tanks in the canyon to replenish.   mad

I have long since passed rrmorton's Golden Cock Monkey status.  It has ceased being fun.  What fun is there in repeating over and over again a boss battle that you simply cannot get pass?  This is my reward for finally taking down that prick of a worm in Mission #3?  Forget this crap.

If you guys have some thoughts on helping me please be very kindergarten-like in your help (i.e., Starshifter - do this first, then move here and do this, then jump this way, then fire this etc.)

Thanks.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2007, 07:00:09 PM »

My advice is one step backwards, two steps forwards.

I had a bear of a time with that boss as well. It's one of the game's hardest. I had a much easier time beating it after I accidentally restarted the entire mission from the start. Since I knew my way through the level, I was able to hustle through it and maximize my energy so by the time I reached the bug on the peak, I had a ton of thermal juice. Way more than I had the first time I tried. It made the fight a LOT easier because it requires patience and extreme care and therefore time.

Other strategies include hiding behind the pillar rock like you mentioned. It's always good to keep the rock between you and him and peek out when his attacks calm down momentarily. And getting behind the rock is essential when he barrel dives at you. After he does that, hurry out and you can get a good shot at his abdomen while he's resting off in the distance.

Make sure you time your jumps so the little bug zappers he releases don't hammer you.

I think I used some rockets on that mission but the more I play, the more I think two gatling guns are simply the most powerful.

Good luck!

P.S. Oh, by the way...

Quote from: Starshifter
I have long since passed rrmorton's Golden Cock Monkey status.  It has ceased being fun.

On the contrary. It is only after you pass Golden Cock Monkey status that a game STARTS being fun. I won't tell him you said that.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 07:11:35 PM by rrmorton » Logged
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2007, 02:54:15 PM »

Oh, YUCK! I got to the 11th and final level last night and I really don't like it at all. Suddenly I'm not stomping around in the snow with my trusty mechs, I'm floating around in the air with one of those asinine "angelic" anime style mechs like they used in that stupid PS2 game that was supposed to be good but I thought sucked. What was that game again?

This is not a welcome development.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2007, 02:58:20 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on February 08, 2007, 02:54:15 PM

I'm floating around in the air with one of those asinine "angelic" anime style mechs like they used in that stupid PS2 game that was supposed to be good but I thought sucked. What was that game again?

Zone of the Enders?

If it's ZoE 1, then I agree it sort of sucked (it was an entertaining 5 hour playthrough that only cost me $8.00).

But ZoE 2 is pure awesomeness.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2007, 03:01:26 PM »

Yeah, that's it. I never tried the sequel, but I doubt I'd like it because I think flying, hovering, humanoid mechs with energy swords and pilots who have their mouths wide-open are pretty much the stupidest thing in the known geek universe.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 03:04:23 PM by rrmorton » Logged
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2007, 03:24:41 PM »

I just can't defeat that hornet.  I tried rrmorton!  I really did!

I will give it one more chance tonight and then it's trade bait at Gamestop, probably towards the purchase of Bullet Witch.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2007, 03:38:11 PM »

Did you replay the level to get more thermal energy? If so, it should make the fight a lot easier. If not, it's really quick (and fun) to play through it again.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on February 08, 2007, 02:54:15 PM

Oh, YUCK! I got to the 11th and final level last night and I really don't like it at all. Suddenly I'm not stomping around in the snow with my trusty mechs, I'm floating around in the air with one of those asinine "angelic" anime style mechs like they used in that stupid PS2 game that was supposed to be good but I thought sucked. What was that game again?

This is not a welcome development.

I told you the game sucked Robbie smile
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: