http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 02:20:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Lost Planet impressions  (Read 6332 times)
rrmorton
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2007, 10:18:05 PM »

I never tried the demo so I didn't know what to expect from this one. Some of the reviews were less than enthusiastic but so far I'm liking it a lot. I turned off Aim Assist in the options menu and started the game on Hard.

At first I was a little put off by the floaty, behind-the-back 3rd person controls. But the more I played, the better it felt, especially once I discovered the shoulder buttons that whip you 90 degrees in either direction.

Damn, when they say Hard, they mean it. Some of the enemies just pound you to a pulp and the thermal energy/health timer just makes it all the harder. I didn't make it very far into the game, just into a cave where I found the first boss.

I like the variety of on-foot and in-mech action. I like the snowy environment and the graphics are pretty outstanding. So far I'm very happy with the purchase but I don't know what kind of legs it'll have. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew with the difficulty setting. I tried that boss battle about 8 times and only once did I put a 20% dent in the bugger.

I still haven't figured out to check my PDA map, nor do I know how to throw grenades. Anyone?

Thumbs up! Who else got it?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 10:19:36 PM by rrmorton » Logged
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 10:30:43 PM »

Is the stun mechanic as bad as some people are reporting? I've heard many complaints that once you are stunned it is often game over, as the stun animation takes so long that by the time you recover the next enemy attack is already in your face.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 10:42:46 PM »

Hmm, now that you mention it, I was aggravated a couple times after getting stomped and trying to jump away. But I just channeled it into learning how to avoid getting stomped on subsequent retries. icon_biggrin The tiny red cave boss arena that I'm in is certainly tight quarters and I kept getting surrounded and couldn't escape. I'll have to find some better strategies.

The game has a day 1 update patch. I think they added some multiplayer features. Not sure if they adjusted the speed of the stun animation.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 10:48:41 PM »

I'm hoping this game does well. After the success of Dead Rising it might bring more Capcom titles to the Xbox. >>>(Devil May Cry)
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 11:54:27 PM »

big rumor on EvilAvatar is that Microsoft is buying Capcom...

This game is what PN03 should've been. Arcadey kind of third person shooter with good atmosphere and solid controls.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 12:02:48 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 12, 2007, 11:54:27 PM

what the hell...

has that been reported on any other sites?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 12:26:34 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on January 13, 2007, 12:02:48 AM

what the hell...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25304105&sid=6164175&tag=latestnews;title;0

Short Version: It's BS based on an old rumor.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 12:51:02 AM by Hetz » Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 02:10:37 AM »

Got my CE copy reserved, but it was too icy (lawl, ironic?) to go grab it.

Can't wait to play some multiplayer - love the demo.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 02:13:46 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 13, 2007, 12:26:34 AM

what the hell...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25304105&sid=6164175&tag=latestnews;title;0

Yea, but that didn't stop it from spreading like mad on the Internets Tubes did it?  Nothing like story confirmation....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 02:42:54 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 13, 2007, 02:13:46 AM

Quote from: Hetz on January 13, 2007, 12:26:34 AM

what the hell...

Yea, but that didn't stop it from spreading like mad on the Internets Tubes did it?  Nothing like story confirmation....

Yeah, no kidding. Most gaming sites just like to throw up any rumor just to get hits now. "Ohhh....MS HAS PURCHASED CAPCOM!! OMG!!!!!!!" It's become rather pathetic. I'm glad you guys try and get some kind of confirmation before throwing wild stories around like this.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 04:29:26 AM »

Personally, the idea of Microsoft buying Capcom doesn't sit well with me. I guess the whole Rare deal left a bad taste in my mouth. I say that unless the company is hurting financially, let them be. Spend the money on exclusivity contracts on specific properties instead. 

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 05:12:37 AM »

Quote from: rrmorton on January 12, 2007, 10:18:05 PM

I still haven't figured out to check my PDA map, nor do I know how to throw grenades. Anyone?

Um, left trigger throws grenades.

I like it as much as I thought I would with the demo except for one thing.  There are secrets to find on each level.  It seems like there will be 5 each time, but I'm not sure.  Usually, I love things like this.  I'm a big explorer.  I love pissing out all corners of the map.  However, there's a frickin' time limit on each level.  Really hampers the exploration aspect, I can tell you.  Knowing me, I'll wait until someone puts a FAQ together before really getting into this game.

Otherwise, thumbs up.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 05:25:29 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 13, 2007, 05:12:37 AM

Um, left trigger throws grenades.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down, Einstein. Where the heck is this "left trigger" of which you speak?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 06:11:38 AM »

i still think RARE can come up trumps....viva pinata was a pretty great game..very addictive,one of those games and the hours just fly by

as for MS purchasing Capcom,i believe that it was late october ,early novemeber when i first heard the rumours,that they were getting capcom...the rumours i heard yesterday were that they are now finalising the deal...i think capcom are a great companywith great games...resident evil 5 would be a great scoop for the 360

and as for lost planet...i got it yesterday but only played the first level as i had to go to work,i am enjoying it..but it was the same level on the single player demo....so,whether it will get better or worse,only time will tell...i got the collectors edition with the free multiplayer map that isnt available for everyone else until the summer....but i havent played it online yet(apart from the demo)

1 thing though,some cut scenes,look so-so...good but nothing special...while other cutscenes look fantastic

oh,and press <BACK for your PDA  icon_biggrin

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 06:16:25 AM »

Cool cover art... okay played part of the first level which seems to be the demo level.  Had a good time.  Turned the look sensitivity way up... was very sluggish otherwise.

On the 'timer' part, it seems like there are plenty of storage tanks, cars, etc., to blow up and offset that a good deal.  At least on the normal level of difficulty.

More once I actually get to play some.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 06:53:48 AM »

if microsoft have purchased capcom

what would happen to the already announced devil may cry4 for ps3...or resident evil umbrella chronicals for Wii?

ooh,i hope we see a remake of DMC 1 for 360,that would rule

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 12:42:55 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 13, 2007, 06:53:48 AM

if microsoft have purchased capcom

what would happen to the already announced devil may cry4 for ps3...or resident evil umbrella chronicals for Wii?

ooh,i hope we see a remake of DMC 1 for 360,that would rule

They haven't. Read the Gamespot article.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 02:01:11 PM »

yeah same old,same old.....remember when microsoft had bought rockstar,LOL

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 03:29:20 PM »

I heard M$ has bought $ony  Tongue

alas, the Forum Effect for this game is..... weak.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Briko
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 03:49:19 PM »

I never tried the demo so I didn't know what to expect from this one. Some of the reviews were less than enthusiastic but so far I'm liking it a lot. I turned off Aim Assist in the options menu and started the game on Hard.

At first I was a little put off by the floaty, behind-the-back 3rd person controls. But the more I played, the better it felt, especially once I discovered the shoulder buttons that whip you 90 degrees in either direction.

Damn, when they say Hard, they mean it. Some of the enemies just pound you to a pulp and the thermal energy/health timer just makes it all the harder. I didn't make it very far into the game, just into a cave where I found the first boss.

I like the variety of on-foot and in-mech action. I like the snowy environment and the graphics are pretty outstanding. So far I'm very happy with the purchase but I don't know what kind of legs it'll have. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew with the difficulty setting. I tried that boss battle about 8 times and only once did I put a 20% dent in the bugger.

Thumbs up! Who else got it?

Does the game support Co-op multiplayer through XBox Live?

Briko
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 04:48:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 13, 2007, 03:29:20 PM

I heard M$ has bought $ony  Tongue

alas, the Forum Effect for this game is..... weak.

Yeah it really is man.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 05:00:57 PM »

People are probably still burned out from the holiday game avalanche.

I really like this game. It took me over an hour and about 50 tries last night but I finally brought down the first boss and his two goons. I chewed him up about halfway with the mech suit but when that broke down, I managed to kill him on foot using my machine gun and copious grenades. Very satisfying.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2007, 05:04:58 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on January 13, 2007, 05:00:57 PM

I really like this game. It took me over an hour and about 50 tries last night but I finally brought down the first boss and his two goons. I chewed him up about halfway with the mech suit but when that broke down, I managed to kill him on foot using my machine gun and copious grenades. Very satisfying.

Man Rob, 50 tries at anything probably would make me put the game away-maybe this one isn't for me slywink
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2007, 05:20:39 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 13, 2007, 05:04:58 PM

Man Rob, 50 tries at anything probably would make me put the game away-maybe this one isn't for me slywink

keep in mind he's playing on Hard without Aim Assist, which is on by default.  I don't know if the game is balanced with Aim Assist in mind, I assume it is given the setting.  on Normal, the boss does not have two goons with him and it certainly doesn't take 50 tries, I beat it the first time

I really like the game so far too...but I liked the SP demo as well, so YMMV.  graphics are great and I really like the floating reticle shooting system (btw for people who don't like that, you can turn on standard third-person fixed crosshair aiming in the Options)
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2007, 05:37:44 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 13, 2007, 05:04:58 PM

Took me three tried on Normal.  Hard may be a different  story.  I like the game.  It is exactly like the demo, but I must say it is most definitely not worth $60.  $40 maybe, $30 absotively.     

When done, I will be selling it for $40 or less for those remotely interested.

I have completed the first three missions and I am about 1 1/2 hours in.  So that would mean, allowing for the difficulty increasing as the reviews say, about 8 hours or little less.   

Rating:  decent, good, but not great nor a keeper.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2007, 06:21:09 PM »

okay,played a bit more now...the story is okay...good(only done mission 2)

but online is where i am really having fun,team elimination is great,and i always play the ranked matches...rank 13 at the moment

just not that many people talk...i mean i'm not a great talker online,but..out of the 16 of us,4 had microphones

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2007, 08:48:35 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 13, 2007, 06:21:09 PM

just not that many people talk...i mean i'm not a great talker online,but..out of the 16 of us,4 had microphones

You were playing with 4 real people, and 12 bots.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2007, 09:56:52 AM »

is that a joke?...is there an option for bots when you create a game?

been playing a lot more online,the maps are good,they all seem to have a lot of tunnels and winding corridors that on first play,you prolly wont notice..the bonus one battleground is a decent affair....not mega great

rank 20 now...you get different skins for every 10 ranks you achieve for your online character model...and apparently when you hit rank 30,you get an actual new character model

SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2007, 10:32:07 AM »

so it's one skin per 10 ranks?

Just Hiro will do.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2007, 12:28:17 PM »

yup...you start with two skins..i now have 4,LOL...last one actually was the best one up to now,as it is totally white,unlike number 3 skin..army green camoflage :icon_confused:

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2007, 05:04:28 PM »

Why do they bother with non-white skins in this game.  I just don't get that.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2007, 08:38:44 PM »

OK I need help on the very last boss...
Spoiler for Hiden:
  Ok so I am flying around trying to cut the boss with the big swords.  Do you have any tips cause I keep getting the crap knocked out of me. 

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2007, 10:16:42 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 14, 2007, 05:04:28 PM

well there are indoor levels as well...no snow

and sorry papasmurf...i'm no where near there yet,i have  actually been replaying the earlier levels to kill the worm or get the letters for the achievements

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2007, 11:44:44 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 14, 2007, 10:16:42 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 14, 2007, 05:04:28 PM

well there are indoor levels as well...no snow

and sorry papasmurf...i'm no where near there yet,i have  actually been replaying the earlier levels to kill the worm or get the letters for the achievements

Yeah I have thought about doing that....  I don't know i HAVE come close to killing him but close only counts in....well you know the saying

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2007, 01:44:09 AM »

I have a question...  Recalling the demo I played long ago, is this game more like the level with all the bugs in the parking garage or is it more like the giant mech ass-kicking I suffered through and never beat?

I throughly enjoyed killing the bugs in the garage.  The mech stuff was way hard.  Just curious.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2007, 02:37:46 AM »

Quote from: stiffler on January 15, 2007, 01:44:09 AM

I have a question...  Recalling the demo I played long ago, is this game more like the level with all the bugs in the parking garage or is it more like the giant mech ass-kicking I suffered through and never beat?

I throughly enjoyed killing the bugs in the garage.  The mech stuff was way hard.  Just curious.

There are parts of both.....most of the bugs were easy to kill either way..., you aren't required to be in the mech except for 1 part.....and that one part is fighting a main boss....  That is where being in the mechs really pay off....  I haven't had problems taking down any of the regular bugs as a person not in a mech.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2007, 05:12:03 AM »

Thanks, papa.  I enjoyed the demo so I might pick this one up.

This is one of the few times a demo has really sold me on a game.  Granted, I don't play many of the demos released on Live, but this was a game I couldn't really put my finger on as to whether I might enjoy it or not.  I did enjoy it, and despite some lukewarm reviews, feel like it will make a fun diversion.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2007, 05:37:28 AM »

I played through mission 2 last night and had a BLAST. I realize it's not an A+ game but something about it just clicks for me. It reminds me of that old Monolith PC shooter Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, except where that game had to cheat the sense of scale, Lost Planet gets it right and it looks amazing.

I've also grown to love the floating reticle control. Running around on foot with the mech-sized shotgun is just plain awesome. So are the outdoor battles with the aliens. Those things are seriously creepy and intimidating the way they skitter and stomp around. Meanwhile, I'm desperately firing rounds into their giant red gonad sacks until they pop and I can soak up the red life-force puddle they leave behind. The action is seriously intense and revolting.

I had a great gaming moment last night on the 2nd boss battle when my mech broke down and I yanked the rocket launcher off the smoldering hulk and used it to win the fight. Barely. After working so hard on the first boss, I was glad that I only died once on mission 2.

Sometimes the underdogs with personality get me more than the GOTYs. Kinda like Psi-Ops did.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 05:39:15 AM by rrmorton » Logged
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2007, 06:58:31 AM »

They get harder, but they are easy.  IF you look at the Pic posted both legs have a soft spot that if you take out first you will be able to sit there and unload on the main soft spot and kill the bug....it is well worth taking out the legs before attacking the body...

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2007, 02:33:54 PM »

The game just keeps getting better and better.  The combat is less arcady and more strategic at about mission 7 and on.  I am really liking this game now.  And the boss battles are some of the most memorable ever.   Til mission 7 I was at about a 6.8, but now I am around 8.0 I would say.  If this keeps up I think it will have been a very good purchase indeed.  And oh, the multi is a blast.  Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge maps, lots of people, and it really feels like a war.  Winner there.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: