http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 08:21:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Line for BD in Japan...world ending soon  (Read 1952 times)
Jancelot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2006, 07:24:42 PM »

Stolen from QT3...which was stolen from Neogaf....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132619

It'll probably only be a brief spike in sales for the 360, but I'm sure MS isn't complaining.  They'd better just keep the Japanese RPGs flowing over there.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 07:40:43 PM »

Launch

vs

Blue Dragon

eek

Congrats, MS. Hell has frozen over...  icon_smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 07:43:31 PM »

I am kind of embarrased to say this.  But WTF is Blue Dragon?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 07:45:27 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 07, 2006, 07:40:43 PM

Launch

vs

Blue Dragon

eek

Congrats, MS. Hell has frozen over...  icon_smile

Well done, sir!
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 07:46:49 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 07, 2006, 07:43:31 PM

HERESY!

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/927950.asp

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 07:47:15 PM »

Has anyone seen any reviews on this yet?  I am eagerly awaiting the US release of Blue Dragon.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 07:50:43 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 07, 2006, 07:43:31 PM

First game from Mistwalker, a new company started by Hironobu Sakaguchi, creator of Final Fantasy.  Character designs by Akira Toriyama (most famous for Dragonball Z but also the character/creature designer for Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger) and the music is by Nobuo Uemetsu, who has composed most of the music for the Final Fantasy series.

Mistwalker is also doing the upcoming MS published RPG Lost Odyssey.  The short hand comparisons so far have Blue Dragon being Mistwalker's answer to Dragon Quest with Lost Odyssey being their answer to Final Fantasy. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 07:52:16 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 07, 2006, 07:47:15 PM

Has anyone seen any reviews on this yet?  I am eagerly awaiting the US release of Blue Dragon.

Famitsu (Japanese pub) gave it 37/40 but no one should ever give their reviews any credence.  However, initial impressions are very favorable with the game giving off a very charming old school vibe.  Does sound like it's perhaps a bit technically unpolished, especially on framerate, but hopefully MS will let them iron that stuff out before US release. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 08:01:09 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 07, 2006, 07:52:16 PM

Famitsu (Japanese pub) gave it 37/40 but no one should ever give their reviews any credence.  However, initial impressions are very favorable with the game giving off a very charming old school vibe.  Does sound like it's perhaps a bit technically unpolished, especially on framerate, but hopefully MS will let them iron that stuff out before US release. 

Has MS given any information on a US release date? Its showing 1/1/07 at EB games, but that is just a placeholder. The last information I heard was they were holding it until after the release of Mass Effect, which was scheduled for April.  Now that it looks like Bioware's new title will miss its ship date, I'm wondering if this may become a first or early second quarter release stateside.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 08:03:03 PM »

IGN has some impressions here.  Hopefully, we'll get a US date soon.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 08:04:03 PM »

Hopefully that will indeed get ironed out.  
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 08:05:37 PM »

Happy to see this.  Very cool.  Blue Dragon looks wonderful, along with Trusty Bell & Lost Odyssey.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 08:09:32 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 07, 2006, 08:01:09 PM

Has MS given any information on a US release date? Its showing 1/1/07 at EB games, but that is just a placeholder. The last information I heard was they were holding it until after the release of Mass Effect, which was scheduled for April.  Now that it looks like Bioware's new title will miss its ship date, I'm wondering if this may become a first or early second quarter release stateside.

Nah, they haven't said anything (other than it will come). I'm sure they're jockeying it around in their schedule for maximum impact.  They've got a crowded first half of the year but the flip side is that some of those titles may not make it so it's risky delaying something that *is* done because you're waiting for Mass Effect or Too Human or whatever to hit. 

Personally, I think they should get it out by early spring just to keep momentum.  Blue Dragon brings a lot of diversity to the 360 lineup and it's good to keep stuff like that flowing on a regular basis. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 08:15:08 PM »

Boy the Japanese do love them some RPGs. 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 08:31:57 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 07, 2006, 08:15:08 PM

...and that is why you were put in charge of the obvious.

note : I'm just filling in for -LE-, we have a snide comment deficiency.  icon_lol

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 08:38:57 PM »

I just have never seen people line up for a game before.  A console yes.  But a game?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 08:40:06 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 07, 2006, 08:38:57 PM

I just have never seen people line up for a game before.  A console yes.  But a game?

Didn't go to the Halo 2 launch, did you? 
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 08:40:18 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 07, 2006, 08:31:57 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on December 07, 2006, 08:15:08 PM

...and that is why you were put in charge of the obvious.

note : I'm just filling in for -LE-, we have a snide comment deficiency.  icon_lol

you're missing things like "f*cktard" and "Douchebag" in your post. You were heading down the right path, but missing some of the vitriol coming out of young LE's brain.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 08:53:00 PM »

There's a limited Premium / Blue Dragon bundle.  I think the initial allotment was 10k with up to 100k coming.  In fact I think the 360 might have have the BD symbol on it or something.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 08:54:31 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 07, 2006, 08:40:06 PM

Actually I did go to Circuit City at midnight to pick up Halo 2  paranoid.  But there was no line.  Why would people line up when the stores all had hundreds of copies. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 08:59:11 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 07, 2006, 08:54:31 PM

Actually I did go to Circuit City at midnight to pick up Halo 2  paranoid.  But there was no line.  Why would people line up when the stores all had hundreds of copies. 

Well, the line was *before* the stores opened, which is the same with the Blue Dragon lines.  I went to my local Gamestop for the midnight Halo launch and when I arrived at 11:30pm there were probably 50 people in line and I read reports of lines much longer than that for Halo 2.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 08:59:19 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 07, 2006, 08:54:31 PM

Same reason people preorder games that are guaranteed to be shipped in the millions of copies.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 09:20:27 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 07, 2006, 08:59:11 PM

Well, the line was *before* the stores opened, which is the same with the Blue Dragon lines. 

Understood.  But why stand in line when some shmuck like me can walk in an hour later and buy one off the shelf.  Or go over to Best Buy and get one there.  I understand if quantities are limited.  But I have to think that Microsoft had plenty of copies of Halo 2 to go around on launch day.  I would think Blue Dragon in Japan would be the same way.  Especially since there are only 6 or 7 Japanese who actually own a 360 anyway.   icon_biggrin

« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 09:42:33 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 09:47:11 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on December 07, 2006, 08:53:00 PM

There's a limited Premium / Blue Dragon bundle.  I think the initial allotment was 10k with up to 100k coming.  In fact I think the 360 might have have the BD symbol on it or something.

Uhm, Halo2 had stupid lines. frown

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 01:18:01 AM »

Do we know that they were all lining up for Blue Dragon?  According to the article on Kotaku, a Gundam game and Ryoku (something) 2 were also being released today.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2006, 01:52:09 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 08, 2006, 01:18:01 AM

Do we know that they were all lining up for Blue Dragon?  According to the article on Kotaku, a Gundam game and Ryoku (something) 2 were also being released today.
The two QT3 Japanese guys (or perhaps just "guys in Japan") didn't seem to contradict it.  And Kitsune at least takes this kind of thing very seriously most of the time smile  I'd say they have a hit but I'd be shocked if the momentum kept up between now and Lost Odyssey.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2006, 01:53:33 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 08, 2006, 01:18:01 AM

If they are lining up for Gundam then those crazy Japanese are even quirkier then I thought.  eek
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 03:39:19 AM by denoginizer » Logged

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2006, 03:34:16 AM »

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2006, 04:59:55 AM »

that faceplate looks great,hope we can get it in the UK,i am looking forward to blue dragon,looks like its gonna be great,and i love big games....and this could be the biggest(3 discs an all)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2006, 06:16:54 AM »

To be fair, that is a bad-ass faceplate.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2006, 06:55:15 AM »

Stupid Japanese get all of the cool extras....
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006, 12:27:56 PM »

I soooo want that faceplate, wonder if it will be purchasable as a standalone product here in the US.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006, 02:32:14 PM »

this is a pretty cool site for bluedragon,,,if no one has seen it yet

has some good info and videos

http://bluedragon.tv/

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006, 02:55:49 PM »

If you think that's a line you should check out what happens in Japan when a Dragon Quest game is released. I don't know if it's an urban legend or not, but I've heard that there is a law that requires any new Dragon Quest game to be released on the weekend; otherwise, too many people skip work and school to get the game.  eek
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 03:44:28 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on December 08, 2006, 02:55:49 PM

If you think that's a line you should check out what happens in Japan when a Dragon Quest game is released. I don't know if it's an urban legend or not, but I've heard that there is a law that requires any new Dragon Quest game to be released on the weekend; otherwise, too many people skip work and school to get the game.  eek

Yep, it's true.  From this link:

Dragon Quest III did more than just hook Japan on it though. Dragon Quest in Japan is more of a cultural phenomenon than pretty much any game in the US, with the possible exception of Mario Brothers. Dragon Quest III made one critical mistake that changed the fabric of game history forever in Japan though: It was released on a weekday. This lead to anarchy for a day as millions called in sick, waiting in line just to get the game. Japan's legislatures were not slow to act, enforcing a now historic law that bans Dragon Quest from ever being released in Japan on a weekday. This law is still in effect today, as each Dragon Quest entry is met with millions still copping out of a day of work.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: