http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 02:24:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] How loud is it really?  (Read 1633 times)
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2007, 03:48:29 PM »

Posted this on OO, thought I'd ask for opinions here as well...

With the Elite dropping next month I might finally pull the trigger on a 360. The big question for me is how loud the unit actually is. My primary use for it will be as a Vista Media Center extender. I already have a PC sitting in the living room now, and it puts out a fair bit of noise. Enough so that I can hear it hum from the next room. It's not too distracting, and it is white noise so it's easy to ignore. I just don't want to go buying a 360 only to find that it's actually louder.

I've been reading online and some people say it's really loud, others say it's not too bad. So what do the you guys think? Anybody use it for a MCE extender? How does it work?
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 04:11:02 PM »

I use mine as a media extender and it works great. The unit is very loud though. It gets even louder once the DVD drive starts spinning, if you ever play a game or watch a movie.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 04:12:59 PM »

back in december 2005 when i bought my 360,i put in PGR4,and was horrified to hear how loud the console was

now,i hardly notice it......to tell you the truth,i dont notice it,i dont know if its because i have gotten used to it or because one of the numerous updates for the 360 fixed it,i dont know

all i know is that it is now my primary DVD player

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 04:36:34 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on April 01, 2007, 04:11:02 PM

I use mine as a media extender and it works great. The unit is very loud though. It gets even louder once the DVD drive starts spinning, if you ever play a game or watch a movie.

Very, very loud. And unlike the PS3, it's a very high pitched whine, so you'll be able to hear it no matter what enclosure you use to keep it in, and over the volume of most of your games unless it's turned up VERY loud.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 04:44:52 PM »

Compared to my PC, which is in the same room, the 360 isn't very loud at all when just sitting there or playing things off the hard drive.  When then DVD drive spins up, though, that is a noisy whine.  I don't really notice it too much anymore, but it does add to the background noise. 

For media extenter duty I think it would be quieter thank your PC, especially since you say you can hear that from another room. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 04:49:44 PM »

Surround Sound + 360 = I don't hear it at all.   I guess if you play your games with the sound turned off or you sit right next to it that would be different, but I don't.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 04:54:54 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 01, 2007, 04:44:52 PM

Compared to my PC, which is in the same room, the 360 isn't very loud at all when just sitting there or playing things off the hard drive.  When then DVD drive spins up, though, that is a noisy whine.  I don't really notice it too much anymore, but it does add to the background noise. 

For media extenter duty I think it would be quieter thank your PC, especially since you say you can hear that from another room. 

????...i am not being funny but ...a loud whine?...this remeinds me of when some people on here complained when their DS made a loud noise when recharging...mine doesnt do that either

even when i did first get it and put in PGR4,it was a whirring it made......both yours and destructors 360 sound as though they are gonna blow!!! icon_confused

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 04:57:26 PM »

Mine sounded like it was clearing for take-off.  Before it died on me.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 05:05:46 PM »

i've never thought mine (a launch unit) was that loud...does make some noise as the DVD drive spins up, but it's not distracting by any means.  i'm like KD though...don't sit right next to the thing and usually have the volume on my sound system up enough to mask a lot of things.  it could also be that im' just too focused on playing a game to really care...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 05:18:13 PM »

It's louder than my PC, but it's not terrible.  It's certainly not distracting.

gellar
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 05:24:58 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 01, 2007, 04:54:54 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 01, 2007, 04:44:52 PM

????...i am not being funny but ...a loud whine?...this remeinds me of when some people on here complained when their DS made a loud noise when recharging...mine doesnt do that either

even when i did first get it and put in PGR4,it was a whirring it made......both yours and destructors 360 sound as though they are gonna blow!!! icon_confused

Eh...whine, whir, same thing.  When it spins up for full speed to play a game it makes whatever noise you want to call a fast spinny thing with a somewhat high pitched noise. 

From my very scientific test of currently playing The Tick DVD right now, it doesn't do it when playing movies.  I'm guessing because then it's just spinning at 1x speed. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 05:38:32 PM »

I can hear it if the kids aren't home, or I am not playing a game..   Add 3 kids running around screaming, or the sound effects of a game, and I can't hear the 360 at all.. smile
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 06:01:47 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 01, 2007, 04:49:44 PM

Surround Sound + 360 = I don't hear it at all.   I guess if you play your games with the sound turned off or you sit right next to it that would be different, but I don't.
Yup.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 06:03:27 PM »

I want your 360 then, as mine is anything but quiet even with my surround sound turned up.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 06:09:35 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 01, 2007, 06:03:27 PM

I want your 360 then, as mine is anything but quiet even with my surround sound turned up.

You coming out for Fight Night next Saturday?  It'll be Guitar Hero II time for the 360 before the fight...you can (not) hear it then. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 07:18:21 PM »

"How loud is it"? Its so loud that workers at Pearson International Airport complained of not being able to concentrate on loading planes while I was playing my 360............20 miles away.............during a thunderstorm.................in the middle of rush hour...................

Actually not loud at all...........Absolutely nothing to deter from getting one anyway.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 07:43:40 PM »

\

Mine is damn near silent when playing DVDs as it doesn't have to spin so fast. Games... now that's another matter. My Gears of War disc must be uneven or something because when that game is loading data from the disc, it's hella loud.

Overall, it really isn't that bad. Once the data is loaded, it quiets down considerably. I am not bothered by mine, however it is in the same room as my gaming PC and fileserver(with 8 spinning HDDs). Nothing is louder than my fileserver. NOTHING! (and I actually take some sort of sadistic pride in that).
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 08:38:25 PM »

It's loud.  While playing Oblivion, I got worried a few times biggrin

That said, it's certainly not a valid reason to pass one up, imo.

TheMissingLink on PSN
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 11:19:37 PM »

Thanks for the responses.  Sounds like it only gets REALLY noisy when playing games, which I won't be doing when watching TV, or other MCE stuff.  I do have surround sound going pretty much all the time, and once I'm actually watching something or playing music, I can't hear my current PC at all.  I think I will pull the trigger, and if it's bad I'll just return it.

What I really wish, is that there were some dedicated Vista MCE extenders on the market, but there's nothing, and nothing announced (WTF MS?).  The 360 is it for now.  And I'm getting sick of waiting.  Plus it will be nice to play some hi-def games now and then.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 11:24:14 PM »

Quote from: egrudzin on April 01, 2007, 11:19:37 PM

Thanks for the responses.  Sounds like it only gets REALLY noisy when playing games, which I won't be doing when watching TV, or other MCE stuff.  I do have surround sound going pretty much all the time, and once I'm actually watching something or playing music, I can't hear my current PC at all.  I think I will pull the trigger, and if it's bad I'll just return it.

What I really wish, is that there were some dedicated Vista MCE extenders on the market, but there's nothing, and nothing announced (WTF MS?).  The 360 is it for now.  And I'm getting sick of waiting.  Plus it will be nice to play some hi-def games now and then.

Uuhhh....you need to go to Orb.com and just pick that up.  No need for the MCE nonsense, no need to reconfigure or convert anything.  It just works.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 12:23:47 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 01, 2007, 11:24:14 PM

Quote from: egrudzin on April 01, 2007, 11:19:37 PM

Uuhhh....you need to go to Orb.com and just pick that up.  No need for the MCE nonsense, no need to reconfigure or convert anything.  It just works.

Yeah I've used Orb before.  But I use MCE as a DVR, and I've got some HD content as well so I need a real extender to get that onto the TV in full quality.  I really like the MCE interface, it's very well done.  Not the most user-friendly thing to set up, but once it's going, it's pretty awesome.  If I didn't depend on the DVR stuff so much, I'd totally be using Orb on the Wii.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 02:37:45 AM »

Very, very loud. And unlike the PS3, it's a very high pitched whine, so you'll be able to hear it no matter what enclosure you use to keep it in, and over the volume of most of your games unless it's turned up VERY loud.

Eh, I'd say that is a bit exaggerated. It's kind of funny to be debating the volume of the system because I suppose it's a little different for everybody taking into consideration how well your hearing is, how sensitive your ears are to certain pitches, the type of room your in, etc. However, overall the system has never been loud enough to distract me and while I'm playing games or watching a movie , I rarely notice it. When loading levels I hear it, there's usually not much else to pay attention to besides the sound of the DVD in the drive spinning though *shrug*

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 03:14:16 AM »

I use mine as a media extender and it works great, but it is jet engine loud.  Seriously.

That said, apparently only the first run 360s have the really bad fan problems - a friend of mine who bought one alongside of me just got his replaced, and its night/day difference with how quiet it is.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 03:28:46 AM »

http://www.pregamelobby.com/forum/view_console_loudness.htm

Someone has all three plus a decibel measuring device.  360 is actually the quietest on average.  Wii is near silent at rest but when accessing media it jumps to be the loudest of the three.  All according to this guy, but as you can see from the comments, YMMV.  For what it's worth I don't hear any of my consoles at all.  I keep my living space minorly noisy by running the radio at low volumes or opening a window when I can (live next to a moderately busy road).  That little background noise is enough to drown out any annoyances with my electronics.  I've never heard my 360 make anything approaching a whining noise.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 04:11:40 AM »

Yeah, I remember somebody posting that article before, and I still totally disagree with it.

For me, Wii is absolutely quiet (at all times), followed by the PS3, with the 360 the loudest console ever created.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 04:17:13 AM »

I have been watching DVDs on my 360 literally the entire day Sunday and it has been whisper quiet. I mean completely inaudible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: