http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 11:56:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] How do BC games look?  (Read 795 times)
Simon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2007, 08:42:44 PM »

I just ordered Lego Star Wars for the original Xbox to play on the 360, and I was looking at a few other backward compatible kid's games. I haven't played any BC games yet and was wondering how they would look with the software emulator. Lego Star Wars is listed as HDTV 480p, so does that make it widescreen or will it have black bars? I'm kind of confused about that.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 08:48:50 PM »

Quote from: Simon on February 01, 2007, 08:42:44 PM

I just ordered Lego Star Wars for the original Xbox to play on the 360, and I was looking at a few other backward compatible kid's games. I haven't played any BC games yet and was wondering how they would look with the software emulator. Lego Star Wars is listed as HDTV 480p, so does that make it widescreen or will it have black bars? I'm kind of confused about that.

The 360 preserves the aspect ratio of the original game. If Lego Star Wars supports widescreen on the original Xbox, you'll get a widescreen image on the 360. If the game doesn't use widescreen, the 360 will output a 4:3 image with vertical black bars down the left and right edges of the screen.

There are lots of 480p games that are not widescreen.  It may say on the back of the box if its widescreen or not.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 09:05:21 PM »

Contrary to what Andrew states, I played LSW on the xbox in widescreen.  It is either impossible or I can't figure out how to play it widescreen on the 360.  Black bars down the sides.

- shaggy

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 09:10:48 PM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on February 01, 2007, 09:05:21 PM

Contrary to what Andrew states, I played LSW on the xbox in widescreen.  It is either impossible or I can't figure out how to play it widescreen on the 360.  Black bars down the sides.

- shaggy

Just to be clear, I don't know if LSW supports widescreen or not. I've never played it and and I was just describing the general behavior of the 360.

Based on what you're describing, it doesn't sound as if Lego Star Wars is a widescreen game. If  you played it widescreen on an Xbox, you were probably outputting a 480i/p signal to your TV and the TV was stretching the image. If you want to do this on the 360, go in to the display settings and set your preferred resolution to 480p. This will cause the 360 to stop formatting the video for a HD/widescreen aspect ratio.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 09:33:34 PM »

Thanks for the info guys. I watched some T-Bones and The Naked Trucker last night over XBL and I think that was listed as 480p, it did have black bars on the sides. I switched my plasma to "Just" and stretched it out to fill the screen, so at the very least I figured I could probably do that for games as well if it didn't look too bad.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »

FYI HDTV Arcade has a master list of all (or most) Xbox games and if they support widescreen or not: link.

According to their list, Lego Star Wars does not support 16:9 while Lego Star Wars II for Xbox does.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 11:49:43 PM »

from my experience, original xbox games look great on the 360...have yet to find one that actually has a loss of quality.  in fact, most look even better on the 360 thanks to additional anti-aliasing implemented.  Ninja Gaiden is a great example...fantastic looking game on the original xbox that looks unbelievably sharp and almost next-gen on the 360.  while they haven't gotten 100% BC, the games that do work are great.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 01:32:21 AM »

I am playing through (well, sorta playing through) Jade Empire on the 360 now.  I think it looks pretty darn good.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 06:35:56 AM »

the games i have tried all look good...but some titles (for me anyway)make a pretty disturbing sound,and KOTOR 1 stutters during cutscenes,i thought it was just my 360..getting ready to bow out again,but i have heard other people have had same experiences

but shenmue 2,looks great and no noise whatsoever comes from the 360!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: