http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 11:20:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Halo3 beta vids...  (Read 1777 times)
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2007, 08:18:44 AM »

Looks to be quite a few vids over on gametrailers.com  some fun stuff being shown... looking forward to next week.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 08:33:43 AM »

i am trying not to see any,LOL.....then hopefully i will be suprised

i saw some screenshots a week or two ago,but it didnt look that much different than halo 2....but a)they were just screenshots...and b)i am seeing that a lot lately,Forza 2 didnt look that much different than what i could remember of Forza 1...i think i need some sleep...at least i can tell that area 51:blacksite looks 10 times better than part 1

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 09:05:25 AM »

Keep in mind that they're still using a lot of Halo 2 art assets as placeholders.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 11:32:52 AM »

I do agree on the Forza and Halo 3 being soooo similar to the previous versions.  I see the shinierness of things and all, but overall the feel, to me anyway, is very very same same.  I guess run-and-gun multi is just no longer fun for me anymore.  Getting to where the only kind that suits me is the coop mission style like in Rainbow.  Just seems cozier I guess.

I was impressed with the skill of the players though. Man, some of those shots were insane.  Mid air flying sniper shots!  Just WOW.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 03:31:55 PM »

I still say it's a huge missed opportunity if they don't put in some sort of Humans Vs. Covenant multiplayer gametype where you can be different classes of human and coveneant.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 10:42:53 PM »

Cool
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 10:46:58 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 12:31:30 AM »

I figure I'll play the beta for shits and giggles, but if I end up getting the game it will be only for the SP portion.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 02:22:36 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 13, 2007, 12:31:30 AM

I figure I'll play the beta for shits and giggles, but if I end up getting the game it will be only for the SP portion.

Exactly my stance as well.

Of course, after the absolute shit of an ending on Halo 2, maybe I'll only rent the third.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 02:38:54 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 13, 2007, 02:22:36 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 13, 2007, 12:31:30 AM

Exactly my stance as well.

Of course, after the absolute shit of an ending on Halo 2, maybe I'll only rent the third.

That's what I'm considering.  I may wait a few days to make sure they don't pull a craptacular ending again before I pick it up.

Because I can,
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 12:02:55 PM »

There were two sneak peeks this weekend in San Francisco and New York and apparently, a lot of people came away unimpressed.  Quite a few of them were saying the graphics weren't much different than Halo 2 and from the movies I saw, it sounds like they are right.  Obviously, they have 4 or 5 months to go so all that could change.  I'll play the beta, but it sounds like not much more than Halo 2.5.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 12:17:02 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on May 14, 2007, 12:02:55 PM

There were two sneak peeks this weekend in San Francisco and New York and apparently, a lot of people came away unimpressed.  Quite a few of them were saying the graphics weren't much different than Halo 2 and from the movies I saw, it sounds like they are right.  Obviously, they have 4 or 5 months to go so all that could change.  I'll play the beta, but it sounds like not much more than Halo 2.5.

I'm not sure how the Halo 3 beta will be, but the Halo 2 online beta test used 100% Halo 1 graphics and assets.  I would not be surprised if the Halo 3 beta looks alot like Halo 2 graphically.  Be prepared to hear a bazillion complaints about the graphics over the next few weeks.   

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 02:15:40 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on May 14, 2007, 12:17:02 PM

I'm not sure how the Halo 3 beta will be, but the Halo 2 online beta test used 100% Halo 1 graphics and assets.  I would not be surprised if the Halo 3 beta looks alot like Halo 2 graphically.  Be prepared to hear a bazillion complaints about the graphics over the next few weeks.   

being a self confessed graphics whore I guess I won't be playing alot of the beta if this is true  icon_confused

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 02:20:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 14, 2007, 02:15:40 PM

being a self confessed graphics whore I guess I won't be playing alot of the beta if this is true  icon_confused

Yea, I imagine the graphics will be significantly changed for the final product. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 02:42:30 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 14, 2007, 02:20:56 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 14, 2007, 02:15:40 PM

Yea, I imagine the graphics will be significantly changed for the final product. 

Well let's hope so.  Gears of War has set the new standard for how a shooter can look great and play great.  Now I'm not expecting Gears of War graphics, but a slight upgrade from Halo 2 graphics would be very disappointing.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 02:45:27 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on May 14, 2007, 02:42:30 PM

Well let's hope so.  Gears of War has set the new standard for how a shooter can look great and play great.  Now I'm not expecting Gears of War graphics, but a slight upgrade from Halo 2 graphics would be very disappointing.

It's a great deal better than a "slight upgrade".  It looks fantastic - nice high-res textures, plenty of little details like water and foliage, and some great effects like the stained-glass look of the bubble shield or the snow-blindness when you exit a base on snowbound into the bright sunlight.  (The ambient noises are also really effective, and distant firefights now sound...distant.)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 02:46:56 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on May 14, 2007, 02:45:27 PM

It's a great deal better than a "slight upgrade".  It looks fantastic - nice high-res textures, plenty of little details like water and foliage, and some great effects like the stained-glass look of the bubble shield or the snow-blindness when you exit a base on snowbound into the bright sunlight.  (The ambient noises are also really effective, and distant firefights now sound...distant.)

I've noticed you playing the beta already.  Good to know.

Because I can,
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 03:42:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 14, 2007, 02:46:56 PM

Quote from: Brendan on May 14, 2007, 02:45:27 PM

I've noticed you playing the beta already.  Good to know.

Yeah - it's unbelievable how much better it looks than the alpha.  The gameplay is definitely reminiscent of Halo 2 multiplayer, so if you liked that, you'll like this.  It adds a number of new strategic dimensions with new equipment (bubble shield, grav lift, trip mine, spartan laser, etc), and they've redone some gametypes to make them more interesting.  I played Halo 2 MP to death, so this is basically my perfect game.  Party support, great stat tracking, replays to share with your friends, all make this something I'd buy even if it had no SP (fortunately not an issue!).

My only true concern is that I won't be able to dominate as effectively when it's no longer an internal-only audience (and, actually, there's already some non-employees playing now.  Populations have zoomed in the last week.)  Fortunately, I've uploaded my greatest hits to the file share for you to marvel at. slywink
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 05:06:49 PM »

I've never played halo mp.  But it strikes me as CTF/deathmatch all over again.  And everyone is Master Chief.  No other skin, EVERYONE is Master Chief? Lame-o

Just Hiro will do.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 05:10:13 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on May 14, 2007, 05:06:49 PM

I've never played halo mp.  But it strikes me as CTF/deathmatch all over again.  And everyone is Master Chief.  No other skin, EVERYONE is Master Chief? Lame-o

In Halo 2, peeps could use the covenant elite model - not sure what the totality of the plan is for 3.

My experience with Halo MP is that it's very well balanced and typically rewards tactical thinking.  Certainly it's a resource management game:  preserve the good weapons, monopolize certain locations, etc.  There are other objective game types beyond CTF/deathmatch (assault, territories, oddball, etc), and with the way matchmaking's setup, you get a chance to try them all.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 05:26:47 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on May 14, 2007, 05:10:13 PM

Quote from: SuperHiro on May 14, 2007, 05:06:49 PM

In Halo 2, peeps could use the covenant elite model - not sure what the totality of the plan is for 3.

My experience with Halo MP is that it's very well balanced and typically rewards tactical thinking.  Certainly it's a resource management game:  preserve the good weapons, monopolize certain locations, etc.  There are other objective game types beyond CTF/deathmatch (assault, territories, oddball, etc), and with the way matchmaking's setup, you get a chance to try them all.

I want to play.  That is all.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »

ahhh, okay then.  I'm not a big fan of weapon pickups though.  I'm definitely in favor of the "set your loadout before you go".  You can pick up weapons off of dead people, but that's it.

Just Hiro will do.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2007, 07:37:55 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on May 14, 2007, 07:29:00 PM

ahhh, okay then.  I'm not a big fan of weapon pickups though.  I'm definitely in favor of the "set your loadout before you go".  You can pick up weapons off of dead people, but that's it.

It ain't that kind of party, to be sure.  Probably why I suck at R6:V multiplayer.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2007, 07:40:56 PM »

You know, it's really funny.  I know I'm not excited for this game.  I know I probably won't like this game.  I know I won't play a lot of MP.

But I know I'm going to buy it.

gellar
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2007, 08:15:14 PM »

People who are unimpressed with the graphics are crazy. Well at least the ones not noticing any of the upgrades from Halo 2. Either they're looking at crappy video footage, or just don't realize what Halo 2 looked like.

Everything I've seen so far looks like at least a decent to an impressive upgrade. The first and foremost, for me, is the colors. In Halo 2 everything seemed a little too dark and moody, even in mutliplayer. Just too bland. A big difference for me so far that I've seen is everything seems a lot more colorful with more contrast - a lot like Halo: CE over Halo 2.

Then it's the basics. All the textures are much better, higher resolution, and far more detailed. The dynamic shading, dynamic lighting, water effects, explosions, etc - all seem to be steps above Halo 2. Even the HUD seems better graphically, yet it also seems a bit more simple. Even the tiny things like vegetation, fusion cores, or other map elements seem to behave differently, and for the most part better.

At this point I'm far from being blown away. But I am impressed with the upgrades that graphics have seen so far, and people who say "That looks a lot like Halo 2" are probably the same crowd that went "Wow, Halo 2 looks a lot like Halo: CE". Guess what? They were wrong.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 08:25:53 PM by Mattc0m » Logged

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 09:54:35 PM »

Yeah once you play it, there's no way you can say it doesn't look any better than Halo 2.  I agree it might not fare well put up side to side with Gears of War at the moment, but I think it is mostly because they're holding back on the really nice levels.  There's lots of great texture work (ice in particular looks great to me for some reason) and the environments are widely varied.  More importantly it's a lot of fun, even as I'm getting my ass handed to me over and over.  And yes, I really really suck at this game smile  After playing this little beta I can't wait to see what they have in store for single-player.  I think they will really surprise people with how good it looks.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2007, 01:35:34 AM »

I can't believe this starts tomorrow.  This years flown by pretty quickly.  So, who's going to be up for some play tomorrow night?

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2007, 10:30:32 AM »

I'll be on, though I've never been a big Halo fan.

Figures since I just bought Crackdown anyway that this morning I got confirmation on the beta invite I received last November.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2007, 01:47:38 PM »

Download button for the Halo 3 beta in Crackdown still isn't active. There's a post up on Bungie.net saying "With any luck it will be a short delay".

Whatever that's supposed to mean.

I'm going back to bed.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: