http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 10:42:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Halo 4  (Read 17193 times)
Roman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 03, 2012, 05:23:25 AM »

Managed to get an early retail copy this evening and played for about an hour or so.

First impressions are that the game looks what can best be described as more mature in terms of graphics. It just looks so crisp and clear. The weapon sounds have also changed and sound more 'realistic' and less 'cartoony'. All in all I am very impressed. I like the SP aspects of the Halo franchise and am not into the MP stuff. I hate all the jumping all shooting.

Anyhoo. I like what I see thus far.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 03, 2012, 06:58:51 AM »

Quote from: Roman on November 03, 2012, 05:23:25 AM

Managed to get an early retail copy this evening and played for about an hour or so.

First impressions are that the game looks what can best be described as more mature in terms of graphics. It just looks so crisp and clear. The weapon sounds have also changed and sound more 'realistic' and less 'cartoony'. All in all I am very impressed. I like the SP aspects of the Halo franchise and am not into the MP stuff. I hate all the jumping all shooting.

Anyhoo. I like what I see thus far.

I saw you playing tonight and I -_-
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 03, 2012, 01:49:23 PM »

sorry paranoid ninja

Roman

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 03, 2012, 09:19:38 PM »

Impressions - spoilerededededed

Spoiler for Hiden:
I like the game. As I said before I enjoy the Halo universe etc etc

Graphics are the best I've seen for the Halo series and the new sounds from the battle rifle, pistol etc are all very nice.
At its core 343 nailed the overall game-play.
I also think that they borrowed from other studios/games (Gears & Crysis) I can't be positive but I don't think any Halo thus far has done this.
What do I mean? Well I will spoiler what I am about to say
Spoiler for Hiden:
Why I mention the Crysis is because I find that the new Promethians are very much like the Aliens (CEPHS) from Crysis.
I mention Gears because of the insertion of a huge derrick like vehicle about 2hrs in with turrets on either side that you have to man and take out the attacking Covenant forces with while you drive to your objective - sound familiar Gears 2 fans?
Now that being said I am enjoying the game I just wish it was a little more unique - but how can you do that in today's market?  retard
I also like some of the death animations - remember when Blade(movie) first came out and when he dispatched the vampires they would 'burn' and dissolve with glowing ember/ashes? well there are a few weapons in this game that have those effects.
Speaking of weapons - some of the Promethean weapons are quite cool when you either reload or initially pick up - you'll see what I mean. There is also a new grenade that I can't quite master - you'll know it when you throw it as it creates a red bubble around itself?
There are also a few abilities that you can pick up-  jetpack, promethan vision, sentry etc etc. The sentry sounded cool until you realize that it is stationary..... don't like.
Anyhoo - I am far from a reviewer so I will leave it at that. Enjoy.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2012, 10:21:44 PM »

I have just seen(or paid attention)to a picture of Halo 4's version of Cortana that was on GameInformer

only in spoilers if like me you had not seen Cortana already and now want to save it for the game
Spoiler for Hiden:
icon_eek icon_eek drool

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2012, 11:19:11 PM »

elbows are too pointy.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2012, 11:50:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 03, 2012, 11:19:11 PM

elbows are too pointy.

Imagine what she will look like in Halo 10

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: November 05, 2012, 02:33:43 AM »

Looks like Tom Chick figured out how to drive up the hits this week....

I'm not going to link to it- you all likely know where to go.

I can pinpoint the exact moment he stopped playing the campaign. It's pathetic.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 02:40:13 AM by th'FOOL » Logged

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 05, 2012, 05:19:42 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 05, 2012, 02:33:43 AM

yeah, I don't understand his score of 1 star. That equates to 20%, which to me would be a game that is inherently broken or completely buggy and unfinished. I haven't played Halo 4, but I'm certain it has amazing graphics, competent controls, a relatively long single player mode, coupled with strong multiplayer aspects, wrapped up in mostly bug-free gaming. How can that possibly equate to 1 star? I can see a 2.5 or 3 stars, but ONE? My first inclination was shaking the tree just because he wanted to generate some buzz.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:21:29 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 05, 2012, 07:53:18 AM »

Tom's review score aside, I am disappointed with the lack of Firefight and scoring in the campaign. The tone that I got while watching the various behind the scenes videos was that 343 really wants to get every Halo fan to play vs MP. Which is fine, but, the people that prefer co-op aren't suddenly going to love vs because you added more unlocking and such. The fact that you get points towards the win from things besides kills does help.

I do fully expect to personally enjoy the campaign, probably play through it multiple times solo and co-op. I'll most likely get in on some vs MP, depending on who else on my friends list is playing. Spartan Ops sounds interesting, but, not a replacement for Firefight. I read/heard somewhere that 343 was planning to add actual new features/content as opposed to just title updates that fix bugs, so maybe they'll add firefight back in at some point.  I can hope anyway.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 05, 2012, 06:12:46 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 05, 2012, 02:33:43 AM

That was a silly review.  A game would have to be a steaming pile of crap that's barely playable, with horrible design and gameplay for me to rate it a 1.  Even on a 1 to 5 scale.  My summary of his review: More of the same, no firefight mode, don't care for the gameplay of Halo anymore, didn't get to fire a cool looking gun, not wild about the new enemies because they are all orange, don't care about the lore so I don't know how AIs are handled, and no campaign scoring = 1.

I barely touched firefight mode in Halo 3 and Reach, don't care about campaign scoring, like the run and gun arcade fps style of the halo series, welcome new enemy types, and think the lore is pretty good for a sci fi video game.  When most fps single player experiences are an afterthought, at least the Halo games make an effort.  

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 06:14:25 PM by Roguetad » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 05, 2012, 06:33:08 PM »

so he is seriously saying that game is 20%  icon_lol

While i am fine if the guy didn't like it...but 20%???

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: November 05, 2012, 06:47:21 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 05, 2012, 06:33:08 PM

so he is seriously saying that game is 20%  icon_lol

While i am fine if the guy didn't like it...but 20%???

Like I said, I can pinpoint the exact moment he stopped playing the game based on what he wrote. He was roughly an hour, hour and a half into it and obviously didn't finish the level he was describing.

I've long wondered how he's gained the clout he has in game journalism based on his overtly biased and cantankerous views. After that review I'm wondering why anybody even bothers to send him product at all.

Mike Dunn
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 05, 2012, 06:54:11 PM »

Why did this have to come out right before an immuno exam?  After watching IGN's review and reading through GT's at least three times, this went from "I'll wait until Christmas" to "IHAVETOPLAYTHISGAMERIGHTNOWOMGWTFBBQGIVEMETHEFUCKINGKEYSYOUFUCKINGCOCKSUCKERALAALALALALALA!"

Oh my poor pharmacy school GPA, may you rest in peace.   We put the fun in funeral

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 05, 2012, 09:40:56 PM »

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 06, 2012, 01:59:44 AM »

so those people who have Halo 4 already,i always install my games before playing,i managed to install disc 1,but disc 2 the install option does not appear

is anybody else having this problem?
EDIT: Nevermind,its one of those 'you have to play it,to install it discs' like Forza 4 had

I got the regular edition of Halo 4,but GAME gave me a Halo 4 steel tin to go with it,not sure why,so i have the regular case and the steel tin to decide which to use,maybe i can use a case for each disc Tongue
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 02:07:53 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 06, 2012, 02:26:03 AM »

Tom scores the game low for, in his opinion, not offering anything new to the series or the genre. I haven't played the game yet myself, but even if I had and I felt otherwise, I couldn't say he was wrong because that's how he feels. If you aren't enjoying a game you shouldn't have to feel obligated to score it well because everyone else is.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: November 06, 2012, 02:44:55 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 06, 2012, 02:26:03 AM

Tom scores the game low for, in his opinion, not offering anything new to the series or the genre. I haven't played the game yet myself, but even if I had and I felt otherwise, I couldn't say he was wrong because that's how he feels. If you aren't enjoying a game you shouldn't have to feel obligated to score it well because everyone else is.

That's fine. I say he's wrong because it is obvious he didn't play past the first hour or so of the campaign (speaking as someone who finished it before reviewing it). I think that's poor journalism and his extreme take and score smack of trolling more than anything else.

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: November 06, 2012, 03:02:23 AM »

My bad, he DID finish the game- On EASY

https://app.halowaypoint.com/en-us/Halo4/tomchick/home/

Also played a whopping 3 matches in multiplayer for a whopping 11 minutes.

Mike Dunn
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 06, 2012, 06:27:31 AM »

Got Halo4 at the midnight release before work. Very cold and misty night. My ears hurt. BLOPS2 I'll wait until after work.

But at least I can play when I get home!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 06, 2012, 10:42:26 AM »

It was very foggy for me as well,because of Bonfire Night...it was so very eerie walking through my town(especially over the bridge) at 12am and with a wall of fog a few feet in front of you

I played the first two missions last night,and played about half a dozen matches online

Campaign i am really blown away with the graphics,they have done such a great job..infact at this early point i have very little to complain about

I am playing on Normal

Online,well i am still crap...but i like the maps and the customization,hopefully i can get better

Halo Waypoint was also great to search through once i had a Halo 4 game save,everyone should catch the Spartan Ops episode Departure,its really cool,you can also view the Terminals you find on Halo 4,like you could do with Halo CEA,that show some interesting backstory(i've only found the first two at the moment)

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 06, 2012, 02:32:16 PM »

If you need more proof that Tom Chick is either a) a troll and/or b) completely unequipped to review a Halo game, I give you this post:

However, Halo's campaign co-op supports four players now. I think this is new. Did Reach support four players?

SERIOUSLY?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 06, 2012, 02:35:50 PM »

Conan O'Brien and Andy Richter's Easter Egg.  Spoiler for those that wish to find it themselves.  I'm linking to another site

Spoiler for Hiden:

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 06, 2012, 04:02:01 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 06, 2012, 02:35:50 PM

Conan O'Brien and Andy Richter's Easter Egg.  Spoiler for those that wish to find it themselves.  I'm linking to another site

Spoiler for Hiden:

That's pretty funny!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: November 06, 2012, 04:19:54 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on November 06, 2012, 02:32:16 PM

If you need more proof that Tom Chick is either a) a troll and/or b) completely unequipped to review a Halo game, I give you this post:

However, Halo's campaign co-op supports four players now. I think this is new. Did Reach support four players?

SERIOUSLY?

That was the big thing about Halo 3 - MC, Arbiter and two Elites.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 06, 2012, 04:25:11 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 06, 2012, 04:02:01 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 06, 2012, 02:35:50 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

That's pretty funny!

+1  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 06, 2012, 05:25:25 PM »

Is one disc for MP?  They don't seem to be labeled.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 06, 2012, 05:53:13 PM »

I played through the first level last night, and I'm really impressed with the graphics.  I don't know how they're getting that out of the 360, but it's a big step up.  I also like the more realistic art style of the covenant.  They look more alien and less cartoony.  I died a few times on the first level, so normal isn't a cakewalk for me...which is good.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 06, 2012, 06:18:26 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 06, 2012, 05:25:25 PM

Is one disc for MP?  They don't seem to be labeled.

yeah what i did was install the first disc as usual,and then play the second disc and then on screen prompts will tell you to press A to install(you can't install it like usual)...second disc i think takes about 4 gig,and no you don't need that second disc when you want to jump online

Quote from: Roguetad on November 06, 2012, 05:53:13 PM

I played through the first level last night, and I'm really impressed with the graphics.  I don't know how they're getting that out of the 360, but it's a big step up.  I also like the more realistic art style of the covenant.  They look more alien and less cartoony.  I died a few times on the first level, so normal isn't a cakewalk for me...which is good.

everything you just said +1

I was unsure whether i liked the 'new' monkeys,because they always made me laugh,but they still have plenty of laughs later on Tongue

I saved and uploaded a match ..is it possible to see it online?(as in on the net,not just through Halo 4)

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 06, 2012, 06:28:47 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on November 06, 2012, 05:53:13 PM

+1

Graphics are much better, lighting especially looks awesome.  The guns finally sound good.  I hated Bungie's sounds.  Really looks to be polished!
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 06, 2012, 07:08:52 PM »

Is one disc for MP?  They don't seem to be labeled.

Yeah second disc is for MP.  It will prompt you to install when you try and go in the MP menus.  Don't install through the dashboard - just follow the in-game prompts.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: November 06, 2012, 07:15:40 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 06, 2012, 07:08:52 PM

Yeah second disc is for MP.  It will prompt you to install when you try and go in the MP menus.  Don't install through the dashboard - just follow the in-game prompts.

Hey Kathode, what was your role in the game dev? My son wants to know. (His dream is to become a concept artist on a future Halo game and he's asking about this sort of thing more and more)

Mike Dunn
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 06, 2012, 07:23:42 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 06, 2012, 07:08:52 PM

Thanks kathode!
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 06, 2012, 09:27:41 PM »

Played only multiplayer so far before I went to work, and I came away impressed. Everything seems smoother, and the maps are diverse. 343 is pushing the 360 to the limit, because this game runs and looks fantastic

Semper Fidelis

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 06, 2012, 09:30:11 PM »

Playing on Heroic and man it's brutal!
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 06, 2012, 09:33:06 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 06, 2012, 07:15:40 PM

Hey Kathode, what was your role in the game dev? My son wants to know. (His dream is to become a concept artist on a future Halo game and he's asking about this sort of thing more and more)

I'm the main producer on the game side for the multiplayer portion.  "The game side" meaning not the server functionality or Waypoint or stuff like that, but I work with those guys a lot.  A game producer is basically equivalent to a project manager in most other industries.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 06, 2012, 09:53:01 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 06, 2012, 09:33:06 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 06, 2012, 07:15:40 PM

I'm the main producer on the game side for the multiplayer portion.  "The game side" meaning not the server functionality or Waypoint or stuff like that, but I work with those guys a lot.  A game producer is basically equivalent to a project manager in most other industries.

Not much call for voiceover artists in that department, then...

So far, I'm very impressed. Hooked on the story, graphics and gameplay right out of the gate (honestly, some of the character models in the cutscenes look like live people until their eyes or mouths move and it's just a little not-human).

MP was the expected blast.  Also as expected, I suck. I started great.  Killed three guys in a row without dying.  Then I got stomped more than half a dozen times in a row.  Came in last on my team, by the end.

Sadly, there was a server issue right after that.  They seem to be down for the time being.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 06, 2012, 11:05:49 PM »

and I'm back...just like riding a bike  headbang3

bummer that the servers are having issues

Semper Fidelis

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 06, 2012, 11:11:27 PM »

I so wish I didn't have an immuno exam tomorrow.   disgust

But I will be online by Thursday evening after my pharmaceutical lab exam.   headbang

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 06, 2012, 11:19:05 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 06, 2012, 11:11:27 PM

I so wish I didn't have an immuno exam tomorrow.   disgust

But I will be online by Thursday evening after my pharmaceutical lab exam.   headbang

During my last match, I used my elite Asian driving skills to accidently run over at least 4 opponents  The drink that never ends.

Semper Fidelis

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: