http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 04:46:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Guitar Hero II  (Read 27266 times)
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: May 09, 2007, 10:30:09 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 09, 2007, 04:09:53 PM

Quote from: shaggydoug on May 09, 2007, 05:51:52 AM

Wife is a non-gamer.
She complains about amount of time I spend playing on the 360.
She got annoyed when I talked about GH2 weeks before it came out.
She got annoyed again when I showed up at home with GH2 the night it came out.
She got even more annoyed when I told her how much it cost.
She saw me playing GH2 within 30 minutes of getting home and was rolling her eyes at the nerd pretending to be a rock star.

I forced her to play GH2.   She's naturally better than I am.   She loves playing the game.   She can't stop.  We've had company at the house and she's pulled out the game to have them play.  She'd prefer to spend Mother's Day at our house so we could play the game.  She even got her Dad (an accomplished musician) to play it.

Ordered 2nd Guitar last week to get my playing time in.  Played Co-op tonight with her.   It's going to be a nightly event.  It's the first video game we ever actually played together where we aren't competing against each other. 

In the immortal words of Captain & Tenille....GH2 will keep us together.

- shaggy

I would love to keep it together with my wife, too.

Where did you get the 2nd guitar, Shaggy?

http://www.redoctane.com/guitarhero2x-explorer.html

USMC Kato
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 09, 2007, 11:22:15 PM »

I no longer have time, nay, no longer able to play my 360 due to my wife playing Guitar Hero, Zuma, Luxor, and now Catan.  I need another box  crybaby

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 10, 2007, 03:35:27 AM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on May 09, 2007, 10:30:09 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 09, 2007, 04:09:53 PM

Wife is a non-gamer.
She saw me playing GH2 within 30 minutes of getting home and was rolling her eyes at the nerd pretending to be a rock star.

I forced her to play GH2.   She's naturally better than I am.   She loves playing the game.   She can't stop.  We've had company at the house and she's pulled out the game to have them play.  She'd prefer to spend Mother's Day at our house so we could play the game.  She even got her Dad (an accomplished musician) to play it.

Ordered 2nd Guitar last week to get my playing time in.  Played Co-op tonight with her.   It's going to be a nightly event.  It's the first video game we ever actually played together where we aren't competing against each other. 

- shaggy

I would love to keep it together with my wife, too.

Where did you get the 2nd guitar, Shaggy?

http://www.redoctane.com/guitarhero2x-explorer.html

Thank you.  Now if only it arrives in time for a get together this weekend.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: May 10, 2007, 05:19:26 PM »

So.....what are treatments for sore knuckles?  The 2nd knuckle from the tips of my fingers on my ring and middle finger on my fret hand are quite sore from playing this game so much.

And all of you who have been playing on Hard....I salute you.  I tried my first Hard song last night.   Good grief.

- shaggy

shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: May 10, 2007, 05:20:26 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 10, 2007, 03:35:27 AM

Thank you.  Now if only it arrives in time for a get together this weekend.

Getting your mom to jam with you?

- shaggy

wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 13, 2007, 09:00:26 PM »

Wife is a non-gamer.

- shaggy

Went over to a buddies house last night, and finally got to play this.  He only had 1 guitar so we all just took turns.  It was a blast, it's just as good as the wii at letting non gamers get in on the fun.  My gf is definitly a nongamer, but she was able to do well enough to get through some songs on medium and had fun with it.  I'll definitly own this someday, after the 360 is well past it's prime anyway.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 13, 2007, 10:57:33 PM »

well it's been a little over a month now that i've been playing GH2...and i'm still completely hooked.  after a ridiculous amount of play time, i've now managed to beat the game on Hard, as well as five-star everything up to The Trooper...with the exception of Crazy on You.  i can consistently play the acoustic intro without missing a note, but there's something about the rhythm sections that always causes me to break my streak.  it's only a matter of time though...

in the meantime, i still have the expert career to keep me busy.  i started out making pretty good progress, but i've hit a temporary wall with Freya.  my fingers just don't want to do that repeated G-O-YB right now...

in the end, i've still gotten good enough to kick my brother's ass when he's visiting.  we had to play on his PS2 the last time he was here, but he's coming up again this weekend and UPS will be delivering my second X-Plorer that afternoon.  for those who have been on the lookout for an extra controller, the RedOctane Store has them in stock now

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 16, 2007, 05:57:42 PM »

Any updates on the DLC pricing, song pack availability, or 80s Edition downloadable?

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: May 16, 2007, 06:04:50 PM »

Quote from: disarm on May 13, 2007, 10:57:33 PM

in the meantime, i still have the expert career to keep me busy.  i started out making pretty good progress, but i've hit a temporary wall with Freya.  my fingers just don't want to do that repeated G-O-YB right now...

Freya is a stumbling block.  That sequence is a killer.  One hint try to just play the O-YB forget the Green and you should make it through without failing. 

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 16, 2007, 08:48:08 PM »

Man I really want to play this, but 80 bucks is making it so hard. But you guys tempt me!
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 16, 2007, 08:58:45 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on May 16, 2007, 08:48:08 PM

Man I really want to play this, but 80 bucks is making it so hard. But you guys tempt me!

umm...i think you mean $90 icon_wink

it's worth every penny though

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 16, 2007, 09:00:55 PM »

Quote from: disarm on May 16, 2007, 08:58:45 PM

Quote from: Calvin on May 16, 2007, 08:48:08 PM

umm...i think you mean $90 icon_wink

it's worth every penny though
Costco foo! smile
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 19, 2007, 02:14:03 PM »

Ok, I know I'm late to the party, but I just bought a 360 yesterday.  Of course, Guitar Hero was in the first batch of games.

I've already made it through all the songs on Easy.  I've 3 an 4 starred most of them, but I'm going back to 5 star virtually all of them before moving up to Normal difficulty.  This game absolutely rocks (no pun intended).  My hands hurt from playing so much already.

It's funny...I can get through every song, but it's the Van Halen track that gives me the most trouble by far.  And it's supposed to be one of the easiest tracks out there.  I 5 starred the Stray Cats the first time out, but I can barely get through Van Halen.  It's driving me nuts.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: August 19, 2007, 04:59:03 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on August 19, 2007, 02:14:03 PM

Ok, I know I'm late to the party, but I just bought a 360 yesterday.  Of course, Guitar Hero was in the first batch of games.

I've already made it through all the songs on Easy.  I've 3 an 4 starred most of them, but I'm going back to 5 star virtually all of them before moving up to Normal difficulty.  This game absolutely rocks (no pun intended).  My hands hurt from playing so much already.

It's funny...I can get through every song, but it's the Van Halen track that gives me the most trouble by far.  And it's supposed to be one of the easiest tracks out there.  I 5 starred the Stray Cats the first time out, but I can barely get through Van Halen.  It's driving me nuts.

Hey, we all started out there - you'll be bustin out 3-4 stars on Hard in no time. smile

(In other news, I'm finally moving up to Expert!)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 19, 2007, 05:02:28 PM »

just wait...playing on the harder difficulties makes for a much more awesome experience.  personally, i wouldn't waste your time getting five stars on easy because there's really no benefit from it.  just move up to the next level and rock out

as for my own skills, i've been stuck at Freya on expert for months...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 19, 2007, 06:05:22 PM »

I don't know if it's possible to 5 star some of the songs on easy. I don't think there's enough notes to get the required points.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 20, 2007, 12:35:59 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on August 19, 2007, 06:05:22 PM

I don't know if it's possible to 5 star some of the songs on easy. I don't think there's enough notes to get the required points.

I've 5 starred over half the songs on easy already and 4 starred the rest.  I guess I should move up soon.  I already have with Surrender (3 star).  I have to get used to that damn blue key.

I take it there are more songs waiting for me once I move up to normal difficulty.  How many others and what other types of rewards are there?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 12:39:01 AM by Blackadar » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 20, 2007, 12:41:30 AM »

Just remember, steroids won't enhance your ability to play  Tongue

I'm still waiting on the loaner for this one.  eventually it will make it's way into my hands  icon_frown

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 20, 2007, 12:46:59 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 20, 2007, 12:41:30 AM

Just remember, steroids won't enhance your ability to play  Tongue

I'm still waiting on the loaner for this one.  eventually it will make it's way into my hands  icon_frown

My fingers haven't been this limber since I masturbated every day.  Wait...I still masturbate every day.   biggrin

j/k...I'm too old to get it up every day.  smile

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 20, 2007, 04:18:11 AM »

Quote from: Blackadar on August 20, 2007, 12:35:59 AM

I take it there are more songs waiting for me once I move up to normal difficulty.  How many others and what other types of rewards are there?

as soon as you move above easy, you'll gain access to one more 'encore' song at each stage of the career...and they include a couple of the best songs in the game.  i know i've played 'Sweet Child of Mine' more than any other song in the game and it just never gets old

as for other perks, you'll also start earning money on the other levels that can used to buy access to more songs, more guitars, and a few new characters.  the non-career unlockable tracks are from lesser-known (sometimes unknown) band and the quality is pretty hit or miss...some are a ton of fun to play, but there are some you'll wish you'd never heard.  they're definitely worth unlocking and checking out, and  i'd highly recommend spending your cash on more songs rather than cosmetic stuff like the guitars and characters.  you'll eventually earn enough money to unlock everything if you stick with it long enough though.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 20, 2007, 07:01:23 AM »

I love sweet child o' mine. I play it at least 4 times a day and it's always one of my warm up songs. today i was on fire and got 95% of the notes on expert for a nice fatty 5*
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 20, 2007, 10:53:20 AM »

I played so much that my wrist started to lock up on me last night.  Then I went on and 3 and 4 starred the first set of tracks on Normal difficulty.  I'm hooked, I do believe.

My wrist does feel better this morning, if...this is possible...a bit tired. Noodle-ly. Not LIMP, damn it. I know what you were thinking....   smile

I watched a couple of videos last night on You Tube...eek. Geezus, those guys are fast. I have no idea how those guys are that fast. I watched some kid do YYZ and I couldn't keep up watching the notes, never mind actually hitting them. And I thought I was doing well 5-starring Easy songs after my first day.

I was seeing little colored dots come down the fret bar all night long in my dreams. I'm not kidding.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 20, 2007, 02:21:33 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on August 20, 2007, 07:01:23 AM

I love sweet child o' mine. I play it at least 4 times a day and it's always one of my warm up songs. today i was on fire and got 95% of the notes on expert for a nice fatty 5*

I can't play GH2 without playing me some Sweet Child O' Mine. Never gets old. icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: August 20, 2007, 03:57:18 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on August 20, 2007, 02:21:33 PM

I can't play GH2 without playing me some Sweet Child O' Mine. Never gets old. icon_biggrin

SCoM is the one song I don't replay.  I just detest Guns N' Roses.  *shudder*

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 20, 2007, 07:49:50 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 20, 2007, 03:57:18 PM

I was afraid I had overplayed it in my youth and would have to force myself to play through it to finish the game. Fortunately years of staying away from that song have allowed me to enjoy it again.

War Pigs is my current must play GH2 song for each session.

--Devil
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: August 21, 2007, 11:29:02 AM »

Woot!  I have now 5 starred every song on Easy.  Not bad for having the game for only two days.  smile

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 21, 2007, 01:52:02 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on August 21, 2007, 11:29:02 AM

Woot!  I have now 5 starred every song on Easy.  Not bad for having the game for only two days.  smile

Grats! Now you're ready to tear into Medium. Be ready!  thumbsup

--Devil
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 21, 2007, 03:54:41 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on August 20, 2007, 07:49:50 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 20, 2007, 03:57:18 PM

I was afraid I had overplayed it in my youth and would have to force myself to play through it to finish the game. Fortunately years of staying away from that song have allowed me to enjoy it again.

That song grew on me as I continued to play. I will say though, it doesn't change it from being damn hard.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 21, 2007, 07:47:23 PM »

Quote from: jimmyorr99 on August 21, 2007, 03:54:41 PM

Quote from: fyedaddy on August 20, 2007, 07:49:50 PM

That song grew on me as I continued to play. I will say though, it doesn't change it from being damn hard.

War Pigs or Sweet Child O' Mine?

--Devil
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 21, 2007, 09:32:29 PM »

On the off chance anyone's a SUPER FAN, there's a My Chemical Romance songpack available with three songs.  New, never before seen content!  And Farscry still won't buy it... slywink
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: August 22, 2007, 03:51:36 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on August 21, 2007, 09:32:29 PM

On the off chance anyone's a SUPER FAN, there's a My Chemical Romance songpack available with three songs.  New, never before seen content!  And Farscry still won't buy it... slywink

Maybe if it was anything actually good, instead of emo-pop crap-of-the-day.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 22, 2007, 06:25:54 AM »

I can't disagree with that sentiment.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 22, 2007, 01:06:19 PM »

Dead was surprisingly fun to play, but there's not a chance in hell that I'd actually pay extra money for more MCR songs.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 22, 2007, 04:30:33 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 22, 2007, 03:51:36 AM

Quote from: Brendan on August 21, 2007, 09:32:29 PM

Maybe if it was anything actually good, instead of emo-pop crap-of-the-day.

Two reasons I won't buy it:

1) It's still priced at roughly twice what the songs in the game are (yeah, I know, I'm a broken record icon_wink)

But that wouldn't stop me from at least considering it since it is new material, except for

2) I don't find the songs compelling.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 22, 2007, 11:09:16 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 22, 2007, 01:06:19 PM

Dead was surprisingly fun to play, but there's not a chance in hell that I'd actually pay extra money for more MCR songs.

Dead! was a fun song that works really well for the game.  based on the short video clips i've seen of the new MCR songs, however, they look much less interesting to play and they won't be getting my money.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: