http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 08:59:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Guitar Hero II  (Read 27257 times)
fyedaddy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 04, 2007, 10:31:18 PM »

FWIW, I picked mine up at the usual local store (VGE here in Cedar Rapids, IA) for the expected $90. We also went to Best Buy and Target tonight for other things and both places were sold out. The Best Buy rep said they went through 100 bundles yesterday and about 50 guitars. They expect another 80/40 on Tuesday but they're "selling out everywhere on the the 360". Glad to see that the title is selling itself regardless of the platform.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 04, 2007, 10:38:08 PM »

The score difference once you can start using star power to go to 8x on a lot of notes vs using it to survive a hard solo is huge.  Can't wait until I'm good enough to do the former
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 04, 2007, 10:57:22 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on April 04, 2007, 08:00:34 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 04, 2007, 07:56:13 PM

Quote from: tiktokman on April 04, 2007, 06:57:05 PM

Grabbed my second guitar at TrUS over lunch. Easter should be a blast at my folks. Gonna throw a guitar on each of them and then videotape them playing. smile

In buying a 2nd guitar, did you have to buy a whole game again?

No, I got just the guitar for $60 at TrUS. I've read they are $50 at Walmart and such.

Has anyone done the co-op yet? If so, how is it?

No guitar-only packages at any of the local WalMarts or Toys-R-Us stores.   icon_mad  I'm almost tempted to buy another game-and-guitar bundle for another guitar and eat the extra cost for convenience.

Outside of only having one guitar, I'm absolutely loving this game.  Probably the most fun I've had with a video game in a long time.  I can't put it down.  A friend came by last night for dinner and when he walked in he stopped in our entryway and asked "what the hell I was doing" as I bounded around our living room wailing out a face-melting solo complete with anguished facial expressions.  But as soon as he picked up the guitar I almost had to pry it from his cold dead hands to get him to break for dinner. 

Pure addictive joy.  I was apprehensive at first, wondering if I could enjoy a rhythm game or if Guitar Hero was as good as everyone made it out to be, but after picking up a copy on my way home from work on an impulse buy, I am happy to say that this is the most fun game I have in my collection. 

THANK YOU!  GOOD NIGHT!

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 04, 2007, 11:48:01 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on April 01, 2007, 06:21:43 PM

There will be indie stuff that is new...but the only licensed stuff that will be available is from Gh1. Best start dealing with that fact now if it's making you that upset.

I'm not pissed that it's not on the PS3. I wouldn't buy it if it was. No way in hell would I pay $89.99 for it when I got it for $39.99 on the PS2...but that's just me.

Quote from Hetz @ OO: What makes the 360 version worth it for me over the PS2 version is the 5.1 Sound and the Leaderboards/DLC. This is a type of game that really screams for leaderboards and downloadable songs.

I'm thoroughly confused on if there are 2 Hetz's, if he's got MPD, or if he's intentionally messing with us.  Telling us here how he'd never pay the $90 for it again since he has the PS2 version, then going on about how the 360 version is worth it.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 05, 2007, 03:11:27 AM »

So here's what I'm thinking.  Circuit City has an offer where if you buy the game, you get 1600 marketplace points free.  They also have a coupon in store for $15 off $100.  Seems to me that if I buy the game and a points card, I'll get one free, get to use the coupon, and for $100, I get the game and 3200 points, which should be enough to cover the GH1 songs when/if they come out as downloads.  Then I'd just need another guitar, and I'm good.  I suspect my wilpower just melted, and I'll be heading to CC tomorrow night.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 05, 2007, 03:50:36 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 05, 2007, 03:11:27 AM

They also have a coupon in store for $15 off $100. 

Is that at all stores and applicable to anything?
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 05, 2007, 04:07:33 AM »

I'm a big fan of indie music so bring it on.  thumbsup

Stuck my toe in Expert level and I like it.  The notes match up much better with the melodies.  Not I just have to work on my shifts.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 04:10:07 AM by Jancelot » Logged
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 05, 2007, 06:37:05 AM »

I'm headed back to the store tomorrow to get yet another replacement copy of the game.

On my first guitar I had to take the fucker apart and dig a glob of some kind of packaging glue or something out of the switch under the "strum bar". It worked fine after that for about 5 hours.

Then the yellow button started sticking. I attempted self repair on that to no avail since they glued down the PCB underneith all the fret buttons.

So I got a replacement.

Now the same fucking button is sticking on the new guitar. Really pissing me off.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 05, 2007, 07:50:50 AM »

I've met my Everest already.  I was running through the songs on medium and there were a few red/blue chords that had me stinking up the joint, well I got to Message in a Bottle and wham right off the bat lots of red/blue then green/yellow and back again, yikes that was very hard for me to handle  crybaby.  I wish I liked the song better as I'm going to have to do a lot of attempts in order to get any kind of decent score.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 05, 2007, 08:39:28 AM »

I am doing ok at this game.... I am working on Medium and screwing around with easy......Trying to get 5 stars on all easy.  So far I am having fun....it is going to take a lot of work for me to get off of Medium.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 05, 2007, 12:52:31 PM »

For those of you new to GHII, don't forget about practice mode for learning those new sequences!

[consarnit]Back in my day, we didn't have no fancy practice mode.  We had to learn songs the hard way, in front of a booing audience![/consarnit]
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 05, 2007, 01:02:50 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on April 05, 2007, 04:07:33 AM

Stuck my toe in Expert level and I like it.  The notes match up much better with the melodies.

This is indeed a large part of why Expert difficulty is so darn fun: it feels much more like really playing the songs!

And Grue, I figured you had to be skipping the use of Star Power, since while I'm good, I'm not that good, and there are many parts of each song that trip me up. icon_biggrin I always do better at games when I have someone to push me, and I'm looking forward to a friendly rivalry with you!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 05, 2007, 01:30:34 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on April 05, 2007, 01:02:50 PM

Quote from: Jancelot on April 05, 2007, 04:07:33 AM

Stuck my toe in Expert level and I like it.  The notes match up much better with the melodies.

This is indeed a large part of why Expert difficulty is so darn fun: it feels much more like really playing the songs!

And Grue, I figured you had to be skipping the use of Star Power, since while I'm good, I'm not that good, and there are many parts of each song that trip me up. icon_biggrin I always do better at games when I have someone to push me, and I'm looking forward to a friendly rivalry with you!

You got me all riled up and I went to the leaderboards to look for you, but I didn't see your name on most of the songs I looked at.  I'm thinking it only shows the top 10 scores from Friends.  From your post, I had thought you were saying you were beating all my scores, but I didn't see any evidence of it, so I am trying to figure out if there is some bug that is excluding me from seeing your scores even though you are on my Friends List.

Do you have some examples of songs where your score beats mine so I can take a look and see if I see you?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 05, 2007, 01:36:53 PM »

My best scoring songs, all on Expert currently (I finished Expert last night and will be working through the lower difficulties for the achievements/guitars):

Surrender
Madhouse
Monkey Wrench
War Pigs
Carry On My Wayward Son
Sweet Child O' Mine (I got the 500-note streak award on this one!)
Jessica

Check those; I actually found that on most of the songs I can five-star, I was at the top of my friends list for scores. I did find, though, that if there are more than 10 (or 11?) people on the filtered list, it seems to start the list with your name, not showing you who's above you (I had to scroll on a couple songs to see who on the friends list outscored me).

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 05, 2007, 02:07:44 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on April 05, 2007, 01:36:53 PM

My best scoring songs, all on Expert currently (I finished Expert last night and will be working through the lower difficulties for the achievements/guitars):

Surrender
Madhouse
Monkey Wrench
War Pigs
Carry On My Wayward Son
Sweet Child O' Mine (I got the 500-note streak award on this one!)
Jessica

Check those; I actually found that on most of the songs I can five-star, I was at the top of my friends list for scores. I did find, though, that if there are more than 10 (or 11?) people on the filtered list, it seems to start the list with your name, not showing you who's above you (I had to scroll on a couple songs to see who on the friends list outscored me).

That explains it then.  I remember that I show at the top for Monkey Wrench when I go look at it, so looks like I just need to scroll up.  I will check it out when I get home later today and then work on getting my revenge.  icon_biggrin

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 05, 2007, 02:11:16 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 05, 2007, 12:52:31 PM

For those of you new to GHII, don't forget about practice mode for learning those new sequences!

This is very good advice.  I started my career on Easy last night.  I review the additional stat sheets after each song.  What I noticed is that the parts of the song I struggle on (low 80's percentile) I can identify here and then go to practice mode and get better at them over there.  Pretty cool.   thumbsup

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 05, 2007, 02:14:06 PM »

My wishlist for Guitar Hero 3 and/or Rock Band:

- Streaming sets with no breaks as an option
- Customizable set list
- Practice mode where I can set a particular sequence to repeat  without the need to initiate restart in the menu

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 05, 2007, 02:41:30 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 05, 2007, 02:07:44 PM

That explains it then.  I remember that I show at the top for Monkey Wrench when I go look at it, so looks like I just need to scroll up.  I will check it out when I get home later today and then work on getting my revenge.  icon_biggrin

Cool! Rock on, my man! icon_biggrin There aren't too many games where I'm good enough to have a shot at competing for top scores, even just amongst my friends list, so it'll be fun to have some people I can really try to compete with!

I'm sure I'll do the same with Forza 2, but while I love racing games, I know I'm not near as good as some of the people on GT or GWJ. icon_wink

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 05, 2007, 03:00:57 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on April 05, 2007, 06:37:05 AM

I'm headed back to the store tomorrow to get yet another replacement copy of the game.

On my first guitar I had to take the fucker apart and dig a glob of some kind of packaging glue or something out of the switch under the "strum bar". It worked fine after that for about 5 hours.

Then the yellow button started sticking. I attempted self repair on that to no avail since they glued down the PCB underneath all the fret buttons.

So I got a replacement.

Now the same fucking button is sticking on the new guitar. Really pissing me off.

I am having sort of the same issue with the yellow button except it just takes a great deal more effort to get it to work. If I don't hit it dead on I will "plink" the yellows

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 05, 2007, 03:05:36 PM »

I gave in.  Getting GH2 along with $40 in marketplace points for $99 is too good to pass up.  I'm picking it up on the way home.  See you on the leaderboards, chumps!

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 05, 2007, 03:06:40 PM »

When looking at the leaderboard there is an option for 'Go to Top' just under 'Go to List'.  I understand why they go to your score as default but it is confusing (and deceptively ego boosting) at first.
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 05, 2007, 04:51:21 PM »

I finally succumbed to the "forum effect"...

...but now I kind find a copy anywhere. Here in Columbia, MO every Walmart, Target and game store is out of them this morning. This game is huge.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 05, 2007, 05:25:01 PM »

Lord help me.  I just picked up a second controller at Toys R Us during lunch.  They had about a half dozen on the shelf.  $60 for the extra guitar controller.  I just wish I had another case for it.  I love the free guitar case I got from Red Octane.  More good times are a coming!  icon_biggrin

XM Channel 76
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 05, 2007, 06:09:09 PM »

I'm going through very methodically.  I got my 5-star achievement for all the Easy songs last night, and my 500-note streak achievement (Actually got it for Heart-Shaped Box on Medium).  Started the Medium level this morning and having a blast smile  Easy wasn't "hard" per se, but it was pretty boring.  Also since the notes tend to be spaced apart quite a bit, it's sometimes tough to anticipate on exactly which beat the next note is going to fall. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 06:12:42 PM by kathode » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 05, 2007, 06:12:16 PM »

I must seek out a second guitar.  The only place I've heard of actually having them on shelves seems to be Toys R Us, which I don't have handy.  Oh well, I have my two for the PS2 which will hold me until I can find a second 360 one.  However, if they start releasing songs my GF likes for download soon, the quest may become more urgent.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 05, 2007, 06:24:45 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on April 05, 2007, 05:25:01 PM

I just wish I had another case for it.  I love the free guitar case I got from Red Octane.  More good times are a coming!  icon_biggrin

If it's the same style bag I received from Red Octane then it's designed to hold two guitars.  Look inside and you'll see a divider.

I'm going to be out and about this weekend looking for another controller as well.  Kicking myself for not getting the dual-package now
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 05, 2007, 06:33:01 PM »

just finished the career on medium a little bit ago...now trying to 5-star all of them before moving on to Hard, but that's not proving to be so easy.  i will get it done though...and then i'll move on the the frustration of Hard and Expert.  i love this game

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: April 05, 2007, 06:34:17 PM »

I just got notice that I'll get my copy tomorrow.  I'm seeing a LOT of you guys playing on Expert, so now I know who will be at the bottom of that list - me.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 05, 2007, 07:17:49 PM »

Custom Song

Yes, that's a vid of me playing.   icon_cool

Hahahaha, ok, good one.  I would just stand there and drool on myself.   retard crybaby
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 07:21:58 PM by Jancelot » Logged
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 05, 2007, 07:19:34 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on April 05, 2007, 06:24:45 PM

If it's the same style bag I received from Red Octane then it's designed to hold two guitars.  Look inside and you'll see a divider.

Serious?  I thought that flap was to cover the guitar.  I will have to try it when I get home.

Thanks Jancelot!

XM Channel 76
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 05, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »

headbang WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  headbang  Since so many were finding extra guitars at their local Toys-R-Us stores I decided to take a gamble and check at the store closest to my office (which was still a 20-minute drive away).  When I walked in I didn't see a single Guitar Hero item on the shelves (no bundle packages, no single guitars, nothing), and felt the same level of disappointment I experienced yesterday during my shopping quest, but as I approached the sales person behind the counter I spotted a lone guitar almost as if it were there just for me.  I may have even noticed a faint glow shining down from on high illuminating my prized second controller.  It was the last single guitar package in the store (and in the entire Phoenix area it seemed as I had called a number of other stores with no success).  When the sales person asked if I wanted to buy their last one I had to hold back an involuntary chuckle realizing that he didn't quite grasp just how rhetorical his question truly was.

And so now I await the end of the work day so that I can again resume my second identity as lead guitarist of the rock band Asbestosis, only now I am able to add a second band member, my wife, to back me up on rhythm and bass.  I love this game.   

HELLOOOOOOOOOOO PHOENIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  HOW THE F*&K ARE YOU TONIGHT!?!?!?!  ARE YOU READY TO ROCK!?!?!?!?  WE ARE........................ASBESTOSIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

headbang dude headbang dude headbang dude  headbang dude headbang dude headbang   

(Yes, I was working on a major asbestos inspection project for the City of Scottsdale the day I named my band - but for some reason it had a fun ring to it).

On a side note, is it strange that I spent a great deal of time Tuesday night during the commercial breaks while watching The Shield customizing my "axe" with the stickers included with the game?   icon_redface  Now my guitar is really fit for rock-and-roll.   icon_cool

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 05, 2007, 07:31:41 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on April 05, 2007, 07:17:49 PM

icon_eek  I think I just collapsed and pissed myself, but I'm not exactly sure because I only recently regained consciousness.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 05, 2007, 07:39:28 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 05, 2007, 07:31:41 PM

icon_eek  I think I just collapsed and pissed myself, but I'm not exactly sure because I only recently regained consciousness.

It's time warp PeteRock!  Complete with fish tank and his favorite jersey from NFL history!

Seriously.  That kids pwns.  He's not even looking at the TV half the time.  I guess like real guitar you just know the song after a bit.  Hmm.  Playing this game just makes me want to practice my guitar more.   icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 07:46:30 PM by Jancelot » Logged
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 05, 2007, 07:45:06 PM »

Toys'R'Us definitely seems to be the place for getting a second guitar...just saw two of them on the shelf at my nearest store.  i resisted buying one for now though.  i don't have anyone around to play with that frequently and would like to hear some official word on a wireless controller before springing for number two...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 05, 2007, 08:15:41 PM »

I haven't decided if I'll come up with a new band name, or keep my old GH2 band, The Barstool Rejects.  I kind of like that name.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 05, 2007, 08:21:40 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 05, 2007, 07:28:00 PM

headbang WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  headbang WE ARE........................ASBESTOSIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

headbang dude headbang dude headbang dude  headbang dude headbang dude headbang   

I somehow thought your band name would be The Simbanistas!icon_biggrin

I just use my Live name as it rocks hard for a band name; Are you ready for OTTERCHAOS!!
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 05, 2007, 08:25:27 PM »

Thanks to everyone who mentioned Toys R Us. I just returned with a copy of Guitar Hero II and I'm headed off to rock...

...(although it will be painful since this is my first time)  icon_biggrin
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 05, 2007, 08:41:53 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on April 05, 2007, 07:39:28 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on April 05, 2007, 07:31:41 PM

It's time warp PeteRock!  Complete with fish tank and his favorite jersey from NFL history!

Seriously.  That kids pwns.  He's not even looking at the TV half the time.  I guess like real guitar you just know the song after a bit.  Hmm.  Playing this game just makes me want to practice my guitar more.   icon_biggrin

Man, get that kid a real gibson (if he doesn't already have one).  That's freakish finger dexterity and sense of rhythm.  I already know there's no way I could do what he's doing.  My fingers would develop into arthritic bone stumps if I tried. 

His parents need to 1) acknowledge his freakish talent and 2) give him the resources he needs to become the next John Frusciante.  They can then 3) enjoy the big mansion he buys them later.     
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 08:46:26 PM by Roguetad » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: April 05, 2007, 08:42:21 PM »

My band name on the PS2 was Krokus.  I probably need to change that...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 05, 2007, 09:21:25 PM »

The F'ing Squirrels and I just got our asses handed to us first time through "You Really Got Me."  Thanks for the heads up on TRU having controllers, disarm.  I'll be heading there to pick up a second and a case, now that I know they hold two.  Thanks, Jancelot.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: