http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 05:57:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Guitar Hero II  (Read 27194 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2007, 10:14:17 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on April 03, 2007, 08:51:53 PM

Though, I believe that the highest scores are only possible on Expert where the highest number of notes are in a given song anyway. icon_wink

Yeah, but it is harder and therefore harder to get the multipliers going.  They really need separate boards for separate levels.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2007, 10:22:09 PM »

Well I rolled a 1 on my resist forum effect and then got a 20 on my GHII spot check at Wallymart [Belkar]Damnit![/Belkar] and soon I will begin my journey to the bottom of the scoreboards.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »

It's possible to get much higher scores on expert, but I think it's easier to get the high score on hard than on expert. Hard to explain I guess slywink

I prefer hard on GH2, but expert on GH1.  I just don't have as much fun on GH2 expert as I did with GH1 not sure why. 
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 04, 2007, 02:23:06 AM »

Did an impulse buy despite my issues with my left hand (I have a disability that I mentioned much earlier in this thread). Game is a blast. I only quit because my hand was hurting. I can't see getting past medium because I can only really play with 2 fingers, but I can do it on easy, just some songs are tricky.

I tried switching over to left handed, but it didn't feel natural and I did even worse.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2007, 03:15:14 AM »

Sweet heavens I love this game. Four hours straight, I think my arms are going to fall off.

Fortunately, next to your score, it shows what difficulty you earned it on, so that's all good. icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2007, 04:58:13 AM »

Spare guitars are already available. They had them on the shelf at Toys R Us today.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2007, 05:03:19 AM »

i ordered the game/guitar and a spare guitar at the same time from gamestop.com and they only shipped the game/guitar.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2007, 05:06:03 AM »

Great gaming experience.  I played non-stop from 7-12:30 tonight.  My hands are killing.  I never played GH1 or 2, so this was a completely new experience for me.  I managed to get through easy tonight, and now I'm embarrasing myself on medium.  My brain is not used to controlling my pinky.  The blue fret is safe for now. 
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2007, 05:07:44 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on April 04, 2007, 05:06:03 AM

Great gaming experience.  I played non-stop from 7-12:30 tonight.  My hands are killing.  I never played GH1 or 2, so this was a completely new experience for me.  I managed to get through easy tonight, and now I'm embarrasing myself on medium.  My brain is not used to controlling my pinky.  The blue fret is safe for now. 

Just wait till you try hard. That f*cking orange fret key is the bane of my very existence.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2007, 05:36:03 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on April 04, 2007, 05:07:44 AM

Quote from: Roguetad on April 04, 2007, 05:06:03 AM

Just wait till you try hard. That f*cking orange fret key is the bane of my very existence.

I have a hard enough time with the blue one...I can't get my little finger to hit it.......

Oh and if you want to achievement for watching the credits have a good 30 min show on while it is running......shit they are long

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2007, 07:03:56 AM »

Though you'll eventually need to be able to use your pinky anyway, don't forget you can shift your hand as well.  I often shift index finger from green to red.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2007, 07:07:55 AM »

I may have to actually play this game at some point.  Maybe when I visit papa smurff sometime.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2007, 12:01:08 PM »

And I thought I was the only one having trouble with the blue fret!  I think Harkonis is right with shifting the fingers.  I tried that without really realizing I was doing that and it seems to work.  This was too much fun last night.  I never intended to play as long as I did.  What is interesting is that when you really get going and hit those notes/chords in a row it really sounds fantastic and gets you really moving and rocking!  My very first attempt at a song sounded like I was playing a 1980's videogame!  icon_lol  And the first time two non adjacent frets came up (blue/yellow) it totally threw me off.  How in the world will I ever be able to hit two non adjacent frets?  retard

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2007, 12:57:46 PM »

Sam's had it for $78.00 so I grabbed it last night, much over my wife's protests "But you already have that game!".  Damn I forget how addictive it can be.  I really wanted to play Act of War last night so I was only going to spend about 30 minutes with GH2.  That 30 minutes turned into 4 hours and I never had time for Act of War. 

I really like the improvements in load times.  I'm ambivalent on the new guitar, didn't seem like a notable improvement but it wasn't any worse either. 

I really hope that in either GH3 or Rock Band they can get everything streaming so you can play a full set without interruptions. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2007, 01:05:58 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 04, 2007, 12:57:46 PM

Sam's had it for $78.00 so I grabbed it last night, much over my wife's protests "But you already have that game!".  Damn I forget how addictive it can be.  I really wanted to play Act of War last night so I was only going to spend about 30 minutes with GH2.  That 30 minutes turned into 4 hours and I never had time for Act of War. 

I really like the improvements in load times.  I'm ambivalent on the new guitar, didn't seem like a notable improvement but it wasn't any worse either. 

I really hope that in either GH3 or Rock Band they can get everything streaming so you can play a full set without interruptions. 

Please don't make me spend money on this!! Kthnx!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 04, 2007, 02:17:48 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 04, 2007, 01:05:58 PM

Please don't make me spend money on this!! Kthnx!

+1.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 04, 2007, 02:32:21 PM »

I hate seeing all of you guys on Live playing this.  I really, really want to avoid picking this up until I hear about downloadable GH1 songs being co-op playable, and then I have to justify spending an extra $150.

But I know I can totally whup most of y'all on the scoreboards.  biggrin

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: April 04, 2007, 02:57:35 PM »

Played mine last night and my whammy bar is messing up.  Sometimes it registers other times it doesn't so hopefully I can return it and get another one.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2007, 03:05:18 PM »

I really don't need to buy this game again, but you guys are making it awfully hard to resist!   finger

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 04, 2007, 03:23:04 PM »

Quote from: shon on April 04, 2007, 02:57:35 PM

Played mine last night and my whammy bar is messing up.  Sometimes it registers other times it doesn't so hopefully I can return it and get another one.

The whammy bar is my biggest issue with the new controller.  It seems to get in the way more often and is also harder to use. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 04, 2007, 03:35:19 PM »

Apparently, there are two manufacturers for the guitar, and one of them messed up the whammy bar:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/03/rumor-guitar-issues-with-xbox-360-guitar-hero-ii/

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2007, 03:51:40 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 04, 2007, 03:23:04 PM

The whammy bar is my biggest issue with the new controller.  It seems to get in the way more often and is also harder to use. 

I agree, it needed to be pushed back a 1/4 of an inch or the strum bar needed to be pushed forward a 1/4 inch.

I am absolutely addicted to this game though, I played Strutter about 25 times before I could get a perfect and that was on easy, I am doomed!

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2007, 03:53:35 PM »

My whammy bar is definately alot worse off the an the PS2 controller. My guitar has the pedal jack next to the mic jack along the back of the guitar, so it doesn't follow what Joystik is reporting. Hopefully they do right by us and fix whatever the issue is.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2007, 04:42:31 PM »

Quote from: madpeon on April 04, 2007, 03:53:35 PM

My whammy bar is definately alot worse off the an the PS2 controller. My guitar has the pedal jack next to the mic jack along the back of the guitar, so it doesn't follow what Joystik is reporting. Hopefully they do right by us and fix whatever the issue is.

I have the version where the effects pedal jack is on the bottom of the guitar, and my whammy bar seems to be fine
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2007, 04:50:44 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on April 04, 2007, 04:42:31 PM

Quote from: madpeon on April 04, 2007, 03:53:35 PM

I have the version where the effects pedal jack is on the bottom of the guitar, and my whammy bar seems to be fine

My whammy bar works pretty well, it's just so close to the strum bar that it's unfortunately difficult to really get into it without whacking the strum bar by mistake. icon_frown It's frustrating at times; never had that issue on the PS2 guitar.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 04, 2007, 06:48:51 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 04, 2007, 02:32:21 PM

I hate seeing all of you guys on Live playing this.  I really, really want to avoid picking this up until I hear about downloadable GH1 songs being co-op playable, and then I have to justify spending an extra $150.

Until you do it, it's all just talk  ninja
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 04, 2007, 06:52:19 PM »

I have the guitar they said doesn't work and it works fine.  I'm not too sure they didn't get it backwards
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 04, 2007, 06:56:28 PM »

So if I go out and buy a 2nd guitar, I can play co-op with a friend on the same songs?  The manual mentions the 2nd player doing the bass or rhythm guitar line, but it doesn't say if it's on the same machine or online only.  If co-op is on the same machine, I'll run out and get a 2nd controller in a heartbeat.  That would be too cool.     
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 04, 2007, 06:57:05 PM »

Grabbed my second guitar at TrUS over lunch. Easter should be a blast at my folks. Gonna throw a guitar on each of them and then videotape them playing. smile
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 04, 2007, 06:57:44 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on April 04, 2007, 06:56:28 PM

So if I go out and buy a 2nd guitar, I can play co-op with a friend on the same songs?  The manual mentions the 2nd player doing the bass or rhythm guitar line, but it doesn't say if it's on the same machine or online only.  If co-op is on the same machine, I'll run out and get a 2nd controller in a heartbeat.  That would be too cool.     

Same machine.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 04, 2007, 07:12:15 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 04, 2007, 06:48:51 PM

No kidding! Get cracking, Chaz! I whupped Grue last night, I need a new contender. icon_wink

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 04, 2007, 07:16:34 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on April 04, 2007, 07:12:15 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on April 04, 2007, 06:48:51 PM

No kidding! Get cracking, Chaz! I whupped Grue last night, I need a new contender. icon_wink

I should have mine within a couple of hours. Not that I'm a contender mind you but at least I'll have it. Can anyone confirm the availability of the original GH1 songs as bass titles?

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 04, 2007, 07:17:05 PM »

Still no solid info on the GH1 songs, but we should know next week.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 04, 2007, 07:18:49 PM »

I won't do it until I hear about GH1 songs.  I'm itching to see how my skillz match up, but I know I can pretty much whup anyone I play with live.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 04, 2007, 07:34:12 PM »

I'm obviously not the best person in the world, but I was stunned last night to find that, on my favorite songs, I was placing around 200-250 on the worldwide boards for my score. icon_biggrin I'm sure that won't last, but I enjoyed seeing it! I never place high on the boards!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 04, 2007, 07:56:13 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on April 04, 2007, 06:57:05 PM

Grabbed my second guitar at TrUS over lunch. Easter should be a blast at my folks. Gonna throw a guitar on each of them and then videotape them playing. smile

In buying a 2nd guitar, did you have to buy a whole game again?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 04, 2007, 08:00:34 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 04, 2007, 07:56:13 PM

Quote from: tiktokman on April 04, 2007, 06:57:05 PM

In buying a 2nd guitar, did you have to buy a whole game again?

No, I got just the guitar for $60 at TrUS. I've read they are $50 at Walmart and such.

Has anyone done the co-op yet? If so, how is it?
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 04, 2007, 08:32:46 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on April 04, 2007, 07:12:15 PM

Now it's on.  Keep in mind when I posted those scores, I don't use any star power except if I need to get through a hard solo.  If I actually try to get a decent score, they will be much higher because I will use star power instead of saving it the whole song.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 04, 2007, 08:59:19 PM »

I always save my star power unless it's a song I know like the back of my hand.  Since I'm always playing on expert, and used to GH1 with no practice mode, I live in fear of that gross solo that I know I can't play.  As a result, I'm in the habit of only using star power for its lifesaving properties rather than for score boosting.  I also always forget where in the song the solo hits, so I'm never sure if I use the star power that I'll be able to build it back up before the solo.

When I play in front of people, they always tell me when I have star power as though I forgot.  I didn't forget, I'm just paranoid.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 04, 2007, 09:03:57 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 04, 2007, 08:59:19 PM

I always save my star power unless it's a song I know like the back of my hand.  Since I'm always playing on expert, and used to GH1 with no practice mode, I live in fear of that gross solo that I know I can't play.  As a result, I'm in the habit of only using star power for its lifesaving properties rather than for score boosting.  I also always forget where in the song the solo hits, so I'm never sure if I use the star power that I'll be able to build it back up before the solo.

When I play in front of people, they always tell me when I have star power as though I forgot.  I didn't forget, I'm just paranoid.

Yeah, this sums me up as well.  Now that Farscry has laid the gauntlet down, though, I am going to work on getting scores up on songs.  Then I will come here and gloat.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: