http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 08:11:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 Impressions  (Read 7464 times)
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2007, 06:20:11 AM »

My biggest issue with the game right now is the fact that in SP the deadzone on the trigger appears to be maxed.  You have to squeeze the trigger all of the way down to fire... makes it hard to snipe and conserve ammo.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2007, 03:58:38 PM »

I found the little I've played with the single player to be an improvement in nearly every way over GRAW 1 (still would like to save anywhere, though- I had a lockup during one of the last tutorials and was pissed that I had to start the whole thing over- at least the levels seem a little shorter).  The team-mate AI is pretty damn good, fixing probably the biggest problem over all.  And I'm amazed at how impressed I can still be by next-genniness in the graphics. 

I didn't love the MP demo, but I jumped into a couple of games last night online and had a great time (even got a team leader achievement, which could only be accomplished this early into the game's release).  I'm bummed that you can't lock into a wall, but I understand why.  Still, that led to a lot of frustration after coming off of the single player.

Overall, I'm loving it more than I thought I would.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2007, 04:56:40 PM »

Picking up my copy from Best Buy in a few and then I will be online for a short bit this evening for a MP fun.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2007, 05:01:00 PM »

Dammit!!!

Need to sell something to buy this.

Hurk.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2007, 05:27:18 PM »

Jarrod and I have finished the online missions and have now moved on to helicopter hunt.  It will be interesting with more people in the missions because on average there were between 80-90 bad guys just with the two of us.  When we have more and it scales up I can only imagine the numbers we will have to shoot down

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2007, 06:24:50 PM »

Screw you all.

I'm trading in Gears of War.

I hate you all.

Oh, and it's the collectors edition.

Any takers? It goes tomorrow.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2007, 06:38:23 PM »

I played the tutorials yesterday and was immediately impressed (couldn't playonline because I had to go somewhere)-today I intend to play some SP and then MP with you all-so please invite!
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2007, 06:40:47 PM »

Ditto. Find me, invite me.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2007, 08:11:05 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 09, 2007, 06:24:50 PM

Screw you all.

I'm trading in Gears of War.

I hate you all.

Oh, and it's the collectors edition.

Any takers? It goes tomorrow.

Purge I suggest you hold onto Gears of War.  It's a keeper, imo.  GRAW2 action will not die down anytime soon.  GRAW1 was stable in this community for quite awhile and if GRAW2 lives up to the hype then it should be on heavy rotation as well

NiM$
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2007, 08:49:07 PM »

Chances are that I won't be on tonight or tomorrow.  Going home to spend some time with friends and family.  Will be on Sunday night I'm sure.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2007, 09:04:31 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on March 09, 2007, 08:49:07 PM

Chances are that I won't be on tonight or tomorrow.  Going home to spend some time with friends and family.  Will be on Sunday night I'm sure.

LOVING IT so far. Absolutely fantastic. Excited to play multiplayer tonight.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2007, 11:43:39 AM »

I rented the game yesterday in order to keep my end of the bargain in Soulchilde changing his avatar.

I think it's really pretty good. 

The graphics are great; the team A.I. - although FAR from great - is much improved as far as I can tell; and the interface/hud is slick, although still too "busy" for my taste.  I also like the cross-com idea.  This game gets super high marks for presentation/interface.  My biggest negative is purely a personal thing.  I don't like the over-the-shoulder view, and the first-person view not showing the weapons kinda' stinks.

So, even though I would take R6 anyday of the week over this game, I still would give GRAW2 a very good score so far.  They seem to have done a really nice overall job on it. 

Oh, and bonus points to the game for the multiplayer character creation dealio.  I really like making my guy look the way I want.  Nice.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 11:45:50 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2007, 03:36:40 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 09, 2007, 09:04:31 PM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on March 09, 2007, 08:49:07 PM

LOVING IT so far. Absolutely fantastic. Excited to play multiplayer tonight.

I meant to get online last night but I ate dinner and promptly fell asleep on the couch.  When I woke back up Dark Messiah beckoned me and that ate up the rest of the night.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2007, 06:08:37 PM »

Played all SP and coop campaign with ThinJ last night. loving it. Its a fantastic game and it has fixed almost every single issue with GRAW1 (which I was a big critic of after the love affair wore off). I hope you clowns will actually play some MP tonight.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2007, 07:44:07 PM »

I might be on.  I am going to try and get a ticket to 300 this afternoon or tonight.  Just depends what I get.

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2007, 02:28:30 PM »

LD I saw you sent me a message via Live.  I wasn't able to check it due to my 3 month old nephew being over.  as anyone knows 3 month old >gaming.  Will try to catch up with you sometime this week

NiM$
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2007, 02:42:04 PM »

I've gotten through Day 1 and probably half of Day 2.  I'd be up for some people-shootin soon. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2007, 02:43:51 PM »

Bought it yesterday you bastards. Have yet to try it out.

[/forum effect victim]

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2007, 02:51:16 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 12, 2007, 02:43:51 PM

Bought it yesterday you bastards. Have yet to try it out.

[/forum effect victim]

You won't regret it.  Fixed a LOT of nagging issues in GRAW.  Good times....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2007, 03:26:09 PM »

I have found very few people online playing it, and no one actually playing multiplayer that invited me. I played coop with ThinJ and had a great time, but he abandoned me towards the weekend. So I still have only played a little real multiplayer and would love to play a TON towards the end of the week/weekend. As for SP campaign and impressions, I am going to write up a big post later.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2007, 08:19:54 PM »

I'm still enjoying this game a ton. There's things that are disappointing like Red Storm's avoidance of implementing the cover system in multiplayer (WHY? WHY WHY WHY? IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.) but in general it's a new version of last year's GRAW with a lot of the little problems and nits people tended to pick all cleaned up and fixed.

Love it. And the singleplayer, while erring a bit towards being too easy, is still way more fun to me than the first game.

Quote from: Calvin on March 12, 2007, 03:26:09 PM

but he abandoned me towards the weekend

Two words, nine letters:

W O R K

S L E E P

Both are more important to me than your want to play GRAW. Sue me  Tongue

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2007, 08:29:51 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on March 12, 2007, 08:19:54 PM

W O R K

S L E E P

Both are more important to me than your want to play GRAW. Sue me  Tongue
These words, they mean nothing to me sir, not when I want to play coop and we had some classic times slaughtering Mexican/mercenary terrorists!

Also, don't make me pay for my education and come sue you  icon_wink
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2007, 08:43:19 PM »

Great to hear that single player sounds much improved.  If it were longer I'd snap it up immediately.  As is, I'll definitely grab this in a trade or when the price drops on it. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2007, 09:52:36 PM »

Um, Cal, I sent you like two messages before about playing co-op.  For some reason no one is getting my messages over live or something.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2007, 10:15:58 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 12, 2007, 09:52:36 PM

Um, Cal, I sent you like two messages before about playing co-op.  For some reason no one is getting my messages over live or something.
Sorry Turtle, I got one message like 12 hours later for some reason and switched to Resistance that day, and never got a second. Very wierd. I am absolutely up for coop this week starting Thursday. ABSOLUTELY. Full impressions to come tonight.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2007, 01:07:04 AM »

+1

Jarrod and I sent you messages when we were playing.....

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2007, 02:02:35 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on March 13, 2007, 01:07:04 AM

+1

Jarrod and I sent you messages when we were playing.....

Never got a single one.
Kratz
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2007, 02:08:24 AM »

I did the tutorial this afternoon and I'm impressed so far - looks to be a nice improvement.

I was bummed to hear the SP campaign is so short - GRAW's campaign was really lengthy, I thought.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2007, 06:17:49 AM »

Holy crap.

I think there must be some serious problem with the Live message service or GRAW2 is interfering with the service because I haven't got any messages for the past week.

What the heck is going on here?

Seriously, if anyone sees me playing GRAW, go ahead and send and invite, if I don't respond send a message or something until I respond.  There's something really wrong happening.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2007, 11:15:06 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 13, 2007, 06:17:49 AM

Holy crap.

I think there must be some serious problem with the Live message service or GRAW2 is interfering with the service because I haven't got any messages for the past week.

What the heck is going on here?

Seriously, if anyone sees me playing GRAW, go ahead and send and invite, if I don't respond send a message or something until I respond.  There's something really wrong happening.

Yeah I agree, ditto messaging/inviting me-I very much want to play both coop and some nice fun adversarial MP (but not until Thursday due to work schedule frown ). I am not sure its a problem with GRAW2 so much as it is probably just a temporary thing with messages getting lost in the weekend traffic, or at least thats my hope.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2007, 11:42:24 AM »

I blame Vista!   icon_biggrin

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2007, 11:48:48 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on March 13, 2007, 11:42:24 AM

I blame Vista!   icon_biggrin

Dude, now that I am a full on Vista convert, I ALWAYS blame Vista. For the love of god give me working drivers or give me death.  icon_wink
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2007, 03:54:55 PM »

GRAW2 Thoughts (primarily single player with a few sprinkles on top): Omghi2u!! I have been saying I would put up my final impressions for a few days but was masterfully procrastinating until now. I debated starting a new thread, but decided that that was even more needlessly vain than normal, so I ended up here.

Let me begin by saying that my impressions are a tiny bit biased because I completely love the single player so far-thus while I have complaints I think I may be giving it a tiny bit of a pass in some areas. So-on we go. Essentially GRAW2 is an incremental sequel in most areas. I think Ubisoft realized they had a bona fide hit on their hands and wanted to pump out successful sequels but also realized that there were a few fundamental flaws in the first game that needed to be worked out. A lot of us, myself included, loved the first one very quickly but had that love affair die off just as fast when we realized how stale 4 coop maps, killing hundreds of braindead terrorists, and the awful matchmaker made adversarial multiplayer. Combine that with a SP that had moments of brilliance, featured some great firefights, but ended with 3 or 4 absolutely god-awful levels (designed badly, difficulty completely skewed, cheating see through walls AI, checkpoints incredibly sparse, etc). It also had some serious issues with the cover system, the weapon float, the reticule bloom, and a few other minor points.

I am very pleased to report that GRAW2 fixes almost every single complaint I had with the first. Let me start by saying that I have played multiplayer and coop much less than SP. I have finished about 3 maps in coop and played for about 3 hours and played about 3 hours of competitive MP. The coop is excellent-there are more maps now, the maps appear bigger, the design is better, there are more objectives on most maps and more varied objectives, etc. The AI is also improved so that it now appears to be smarter rather than simply omniscient. The adversarial multiplayer itself seems better too-they cleaned up a lot of issues-the movement is smoother, the weapons are less clunky and the reticule bloom toned down. The gameplay modes seem fun and I enjoyed a couple of the leader/points based ones. The biggest problem that I saw was the awful Ubisoft matchmaking lobbies. They are better than the disaster that was GRAW1, but they need a lot of work (and all Ubi's games display the same simply brain dead design for the lobbies. I just cannot fathom it). The biggest single drawback to multiplayer is one that I simply do not understand other than simple design decision: there is no cover system (not to mention no real lean button)! How in the world does a tactical shooter that relies heavily on a cover system have a multiplayer mode that doesn't even include it!! Rainbow 6 Vegas showed that it could be done in both with no issues and I just cannot for the life of me understand the decision other than the concern that with larger maps people would simply stay behind cover and everyone would pick a sniper rifle. Even so, thats fine if thats the way tactics develop. Its a tactical squad level shooter that relies on a cover mechanic in the single player, and a much less tactical shooter at the MP level because of this brain-dead design decision. The MP and coop is still fun and refined, but the decision was just stupid.

Single Player Impressions:
The single player is simply better in every concievable way. It is shorter, but much much more satisfying. The campaign story is fairly typical military special operations thriller, but it does a good job of sending you on a few random diversions on your way through the main plot and then really amping up the sense of urgency during the last act of the game to increase tension and make the last little bit of the game that much more fun. The story is presented superbly, with excellent integration of little cutscenes and video into the intermissions in the helicopter/jeep. They provide just enough story and exposition to keep you going, and the fun, cheesy, over the top voice acting and cliched military dialogue actually fits the game very well. The levels themselves are also much improved. While they are mostly smaller than the maps in GRAW1, they are tighter, more focused, and better designed. You normally have at least two routes to approach every position you are attacking, objectives are spread out logically through the map. You have more options for your AI teammates and support now, and it works much better. While you still can only issue simple go to commands, and change the behavior of your squad and target enemies, they now are not completely brain-dead. While this sounds like faint praise, its a drastic improvement. Generally speaking, if you put them in cover and tell them to engage an enemy, they will eventually kill them and take minimal damage in the process. I was, on occasion, able to use the UAV to spot enemies, and actually carefully send my squad to flank and attack the enemy-lo and behold they would actually do it and succeed! It was quite the revelation. They do, of course, occasionally do idiotic things and get shot and killed and all sorts of other good stuff, but it is more rare than frequent now thankfully.

The campaign itself is quite short, and will likely take experienced shooter fans around 8 hours on regular guarded difficulty. Elevated (hard) difficulty looks to be a bit longer, maybe 10 hours or more for experienced players and a few more for the less FPS savvy. While this is indeed on the shorter side, it is approaching the current standard for FPS and 3PS and really shouldn't dissapoint too much due to the quality and the extensive, extensive coop and multiplayer options. In conclusion, the real strenght of GRAW2 is in its refinement. Some people are calling it an expansion pack or GRAW 1.5 and various things, decrying it based off a 1 level demo that looked too similar to the first game. Those people are not only wrong, they are simply ignorant of the number of new features GRAW2 offers. With a campaign as long as most comparable games, a full suite of multiplayer options, and noticeable, impressive improvements in graphics, movement control, gun control, reticule bloom, weapon differentiation, a vast improvement in the cover system, and better multiplayer modes the game is a full sequel and deserves to be recognized as such. I am very much enjoying the game (as I did R6: Vegas) and look forward to playing it for a while and the sequel.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2007, 11:51:54 PM »

I have to say, my complaint with the game (other than no cover in MP) has to be the AI.  I've had it comepletely ignore an enemy that runs up and stands 5ft away from five (5) allies of mine... and then proceeds to gun me down. 

Needless to say such things make me very unhappy.

The game has been fun, the little I've played of it so far.  R6:vegas' friendly AI is light years ahead though.  I've gotten killed through my own stupidity repeatedly, can't think of a time when I died because my 'friend's' ignored an enemy.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2007, 11:53:31 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on March 13, 2007, 11:51:54 PM

I have to say, my complaint with the game (other than no cover in MP) has to be the AI.  I've had it comepletely ignore an enemy that runs up and stands 5ft away from five (5) allies of mine... and then proceeds to gun me down. 

Needless to say such things make me very unhappy.

The game has been fun, the little I've played of it so far.  R6:vegas' friendly AI is light years ahead though.  I've gotten killed through my own stupidity repeatedly, can't think of a time when I died because my 'friend's' ignored an enemy.

I honestly cannot say that that has ever happened to me at least with regards to friendly AI-turn them on "attack" and that won't ever happen. I have seen that happen with enemy AI from time to time, strangely enough.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2007, 12:28:18 AM »

They actually were all on attack.  <shrug>  May have just been a fluke.  I enjoy the game enough otherwise to overlook that flaw regardless.  I just miss my elite teammates from R6 is all.   icon_biggrin

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2007, 02:20:53 AM »

Uh wow...that was kinda....short.  :/   Hope the multiplayer is good. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2007, 04:47:31 AM »

The multiplayer is only a bit better than GRAW1 to me.

I do like the Team Battle gametype, where you get AI soldiers and infinite respawns, add helicopters and it really feels like a big warzone.

I'm sure I won't buy this game, not until it hits $20 or so, but by then I'm sure there'll be other games to occupy me.  Right now, it's been a fun rental.
Kratz
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2007, 05:02:15 AM »

I'm surprised it is so short considering the length of GRAW... that game was very long, I thought.

I finished the first act tonight... I'm having a good time - definitely an improvement over GRAW, though if it is super short I'll be bummed...
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2007, 06:58:21 AM »

i just finished the SP campaign and really enjoyed it overall.  although it's definitely shorter than the original GRAW campaign, the quality and intensity of the experience is much better than the first time around.  i was getting into firefights early in GRAW2 that were bigger than just about anything i could remember in all of the original, and a couple of the battles where you have multiple grounds units with air support are awesome.  the SP game is a much more polished experience than the first time around (although i thought GRAW was great).  friendly squad AI is noticeably better, and the new full-screen command view makes giving orders a lot more fun.  there were times when i would send my squad around to clear an area, watching from their point of view to give orders the whole time.  that ability helps to set up some great flanking opportunities if you can get the drop on the enemy...especially when you're commanding two separate squads.  i really liked that i could get my men into position in recon mode, then flip them over to 'attack' when i was ready.  i don't think the original GRAW AI was reliable enough to really coordinate good squad tactics, but i used it effectively quite often this time around.  really good SP game overall...just wish lasted a little longer...

graphically, i think GRAW2 is probably the second best looking game i've played on the 360 so far (GoW being the best).  there are so many little touches that give the game a great sense of realism...the amount of detail on your character and allies, smoke and explosion effects, and even little things like the way rain splashes off the gun in your helicopter and trails off through the air as you fly.  there are times when you or your squadmates almost look like real people fighting their way through the streets, and the view while flying over terrain in the Blackhawk is incredible.  i thought GRAW looked great last year when i first loaded it up on my 25" SDTV, and it looked even better the first time i played it on my HDTV.  i can't remember anything in the original looking as great as GRAW2 though.

now i guess i should give MP a try.  believe it or not, i never touched the MP part of the original game once i found out i couldn't play in third-person and use the cover system...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 06:13:29 PM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: