http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 05:11:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 Impressions  (Read 7519 times)
Zimix
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »

Just picked up my copy during lunch.  Should be a battle between Worms and this tonight.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 09:18:48 PM »

Dude, that is ridiculous, there is no battle!! Get going on GRAW2, and I mean NOW! We need some impressions-seriously this is the biggest name title in a long time that I have seen absolutely no impressons of and no reviews of. It is totally wierding me out in a "does this game suck and thats why there are no reviews yet" kind of way. And I want it to stop!! Impressions now!
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 09:19:21 PM »

IGN's overall review score today is a 9.1.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 09:26:59 PM »

Swinging by this evening to pick this one up along with the TQ expansion.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 09:27:14 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 07, 2007, 09:19:21 PM

Microsoft must not have trained you in HOW TO LINK SIR?? I must go read it now, and then link it for the benefit of others. 9.1 makes me happy, and now I can by this game with less trepidation.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 09:29:28 PM »

OMFG HI2U LINK:

OH SNAP REVIEW

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 09:45:02 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 07, 2007, 09:27:14 PM

Microsoft must not have trained you in HOW TO LINK SIR?? I must go read it now, and then link it for the benefit of others. 9.1 makes me happy, and now I can by this game with less trepidation.

Links are a tool of t3h lin00x.  We send information in fully encapsulated mhtml documents - using Outlook - through Exchange - and only to Windows clients.  Of course, it can all be easily exported to OOXML (Hi to Texas!).

Actually, I just didn't know if I'd get whupped and banned by the Dragon-man for linking to a rival site.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 09:52:11 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 07, 2007, 09:45:02 PM

Quote from: Calvin on March 07, 2007, 09:27:14 PM

Links are a tool of t3h lin00x.  We send information in fully encapsulated mhtml documents - using Outlook - through Exchange - and only to Windows clients.  Of course, it can all be easily exported to OOXML (Hi to Texas!).

Actually, I just didn't know if I'd get whupped and banned by the Dragon-man for linking to a rival site.

That was funny  thumbsup-also, Ron does not care a whit about linking to other sites/reviews/etc-dont you see the frequent "OMFGZ FIRST REVIEW LINK" nonsense smile Ron is awesome like that.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 11:10:38 PM »

Picked it up earlier, played the first co-op mission with papa... got killed several times.  Looking forward to playing with GTrs.  Looking through the achievements, most don't seem locked to ranked battles, althouth most do require 5 people minimum to be in the match.

Clan support is in as well.

Looks good.

Want play more... I'll be on tonight at least sporadically, shoot me an invite if you see me.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 11:46:18 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on March 07, 2007, 11:10:38 PM

Picked it up earlier, played the first co-op mission with papa... got killed several times.  Looking forward to playing with GTrs.  Looking through the achievements, most don't seem locked to ranked battles, althouth most do require 5 people minimum to be in the match.

Clan support is in as well.

Looks good.

Want play more... I'll be on tonight at least sporadically, shoot me an invite if you see me.

How was the mission? Is the aiming reticule bloom better? Controls feel less floaty?
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 03:40:12 AM »

Played 6-7 co-op games with the wife tonight.  Seems very close to the 1st game as far as game play is concerned, at least in co-op. AI does seem smarter.

There are no helicopters which fly over head.  I'm sure this could be fun, but it was annoying to us since we died constantly. smile  So we turned them off.

Maps are good.. Night vision is much improved.  I have only played with a couple of weapons.. But I found my sniper rifle.. smile

Have not had a chance to play on LIVE to see if the interface is any better for game matching.. Will try that in a few.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 04:11:56 AM »

Nightvision was the dealbreaker for me in the first one.  I got tired of having Mexican rebels being able to see better at night than I could with my incredibly sophisticated equipment.  I loved the daytime city stuff though, and I would have liked the night missions if I hadn't had to play them in smear-o-vision. 

This also means that I'm very wary of the sequel, and will most likely wait until I can get it for cheap.  Fry's had it for $35 today, which is in my "hell with it" range, but no Fry's out near me.

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 05:22:24 AM »

Had fun with the tutorial...damn nutrition test tomorrow so not really very much time to play....ran the online co-op earlier with Jarrod and had fun.... Looking forward to a testless weekend which will equal plenty of play time.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 05:38:27 AM »

Of course I'm going to be gone this weekend.  Oh well.  Played through the first act of single-player.  Enjoyed it... for some reason the trigger is really non-sensitive... have to pull almost all the way back to get it to fire, which throws me off since I'm used to lightly pulling it to fire.  MP doesn't seem to do this.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 06:20:27 AM »

Although Worms will probably be consuming a lot of my time, I will be picking this one up soon as well.  I'm definitely in for multiplayer.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 06:23:52 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on March 08, 2007, 05:38:27 AM

for some reason the trigger is really non-sensitive... have to pull almost all the way back to get it to fire, which throws me off since I'm used to lightly pulling it to fire.  MP doesn't seem to do this.

I noticed that too.  It kept on throwing off the sniping portion of the tutorial.  I can't wait to get some MP action in on this.  I also downloaded the 'Nowhere' map and checked out the 4 headgear unlocks you get for having other TC save games on your HD.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 07:43:14 AM »

I'll rent this so I can play some co-op with the crew.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 08:04:18 AM »

Papa and I got through the first 2 co-op missions tonight.  Good fun.  Looking forward to finishing the rest, and then going back through with more than 2 people... should make things a little easier.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 12:15:33 PM »

I should be available to play tonight as well, look for me online in the evening.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 01:41:37 PM »

I'm in the middle of "Day 2" and having a blast. The game, on the middle difficulty, is easy until you get to the end of Day 1, and there is a hellacious firefight that will kick your ass. After that, the difficulty ramps up significantly, especially in the graveyard area.

Pluses
Spectacular graphics - gotta be among the 5 best looking 360 games
Nice balance of achievements - you start earning them immediately
Weapons are awesome - Some real kick ass weaponry
Control of teammates is excellent - not quite as good as R6V, but very close
AI soldiers are pretty damn smart

Negatives
I know its realistic, but I am not a fan of the gun moving as much as it does
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use medipacks to heal myself, so everytime I take hits, I have to start being too careful
Changing weapons in the heat of battle is a bit cumbersome

After about 3hrs of gameplay, I would give it a 8.5 or 9.0, its an automatic purchase. R6V is still the Clancy King, but this is easily #2.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2007, 02:21:35 PM »

Hey J, thanks for the great impressions, really made me want to play it more tonight-be around for MP smile
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2007, 02:22:16 PM »

If it's before 8:30 or so, I will. PLEASE.......find me and lets play.  icon_smile

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2007, 02:27:33 PM »

Quote from: jblank on March 08, 2007, 02:22:16 PM

If it's before 8:30 or so, I will. PLEASE.......find me and lets play.  icon_smile

You know I look out smile As long as I am on, I will make sure to invite you.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2007, 03:15:08 PM »

Yeah I will be on but I don't know if it will be before 8:30.  I have a law class tonight that is scheduled till 9:20 CST.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2007, 03:15:42 PM »

Any of you figure out how to use the med-kit on yourself, or how to ask others to heal you?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2007, 03:36:27 PM »

I'll probably be on tonight but not until after 9pm EST.  If I don't see anyone on I'll probably fire up the first one to work on the SP campaign which I never finished, but feel free to send me a message if anyone starts up a GRAW2 game.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2007, 03:53:12 PM »

Quote from: jblank on March 08, 2007, 03:15:42 PM

Any of you figure out how to use the med-kit on yourself, or how to ask others to heal you?

According to the tutorial, you have to look at a medic and use down on the d-pad.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2007, 04:02:16 PM »

Yeah, I remember that, but why give us medpacks then? So if I don't have a medic, I can't heal myself or get healed by another person? That is a HUGE omission if true.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2007, 04:24:52 PM »

Quote from: jblank on March 08, 2007, 04:02:16 PM

Yeah, I remember that, but why give us medpacks then? So if I don't have a medic, I can't heal myself or get healed by another person? That is a HUGE omission if true.

You can heal your team members though; that's why you have medpacks.  However, it looks like the only team member that can heal you is the Medic and you're right, that is a big omission on their part.

Because I can,
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2007, 04:28:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 08, 2007, 04:24:52 PM

You can heal your team members though; that's why you have medpacks.  However, it looks like the only team member that can heal you is the Medic and you're right, that is a big omission on their part.

Huge. It's easy, like 3 hits, to get down to red health, so it's asinine for them to FORCE YOU to carry a medic like that, further weakening your teams offensive capabilities, and forcing you, the player, to have to play more aggressively. Thats sloppy, I expect better from UbiSoft.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2007, 04:32:34 PM »

Quote from: jblank on March 08, 2007, 04:28:30 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 08, 2007, 04:24:52 PM

Huge. It's easy, like 3 hits, to get down to red health, so it's asinine for them to FORCE YOU to carry a medic like that, further weakening your teams offensive capabilities, and forcing you, the player, to have to play more aggressively. Thats sloppy, I expect better from UbiSoft.

That's pretty much the reason why I never really touched the SP portion of GRAW.  If they're going to give you AI teammates then they shouldn't water them down.  In GRAW it felt like I had the Three Stooges following me instead of elite 'Ghosts'.

Because I can,
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2007, 04:36:25 PM »

I see where you are going there, but amazingly, this time, the AI teammates SEEM to be pretty good, especially when it comes to moving to cover.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2007, 04:41:52 PM »

Quote from: jblank on March 08, 2007, 04:36:25 PM

I see where you are going there, but amazingly, this time, the AI teammates SEEM to be pretty good, especially when it comes to moving to cover.

that's good.  I haven't gotten farther than completing the tutorial level-  I want to finish the first one before I go any further (which I'm currently stuck on the first night mission due to the AI not being able to understand that I want them to stay in place).

Anyway, I pretty much picked both up for the MP portion.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2007, 05:46:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 08, 2007, 04:41:52 PM

Quote from: jblank on March 08, 2007, 04:36:25 PM

that's good.  I haven't gotten farther than completing the tutorial level-  I want to finish the first one before I go any further (which I'm currently stuck on the first night mission due to the AI not being able to understand that I want them to stay in place).

Anyway, I pretty much picked both up for the MP portion.

So sorry for shooting you in the head later!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2007, 08:04:12 PM »

I'll be on playing some of this tonight. I may already be in another game though.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2007, 09:42:16 PM »

Yeah, should be on tonight.  I'll suspend SP to jump into MP with people.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2007, 10:30:04 PM »

Well i had fun beating the first day this afternoon and it was suprisingly easy......  Thinking about restarting and going to the hardest difficulty.....

I actually like the white night vision in SP.  It is easy to use and is easy to see what is out there.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2007, 12:15:11 AM »

Yay for claymores... now if I would remember I have them and use them...

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2007, 03:50:52 AM »

So far I think Crashsite has to be one of my favorite MP maps.. I love the scenery.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2007, 06:03:20 AM »

Thanks for the invite but I haven't picked it up yet.  I'll have it this weekend, though.  After the word of mouth and the gushing review in OXM it seems like they've really cleaned some things up from the first one.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: