http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 09:50:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] First Oblivion Mod up on Live  (Read 2565 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2006, 06:43:38 PM »

Saw this posted by Hetz at OO

Looks like a Mod is up on the marketplace that adds horse armor.  Only bite is that is cost 200 Freaking points!!!

Don't know if Horse armor is worth 200 points

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 06:51:54 PM »

So a question.

Is this mod by the developers or did someone figure out a way to use the PC mod tools to make a 360 mod?  If that's it then it would be very cool.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 07:17:38 PM »

Developers, IIRC, as there's no way for a person to make a mod for any game and sell it on the Marketplace yet.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 07:46:40 PM »

I'm glad I bought the PC version, as I'm loving all the free mods by the community.  $2.50 for horse armor?  Not for me.  Then again, so far Shadowmere hasn't needed armor.  My 'special' horse seems to hit harder then I do, and certainly is more aggressive.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 07:53:20 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I'm glad I bought the PC version, as I'm loving all the free mods by the community.  $2.50 for horse armor?  Not for me.  Then again, so far Shadowmere hasn't needed armor.  My 'special' horse seems to hit harder then I do, and certainly is more aggressive.

So...why does your horse need armor again? It's not like you can fight while on it.

And the modding community has already one-uped Bethesda when it comes to horse mods - there's a mod out there that lets you store items on your horse. What else do you truly need for your horse?

However, I still can't wait to see what other mods Bethesda brings to the table. As they have all the tools (the modders can't make new models or animations, only replace textures), it should be interesting.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 08:06:52 PM »

As they have all the tools (the modders can't make new models or animations, only replace textures)

Modders can't make new models at all?  Or is this just a current limitation?  

If a new quest or guild is offered for a paid download, fine, but new graphics options, or weapons?  That's pretty bad for paid content.  Hopefully the new horse armor is the worst add on we'll see.  I'm curious if Bethseda will charge for the PC mods?  Of course, like mentioned, if I could fight from the horse now, and the horse armor really mattered, that'd be great.

---
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 08:16:03 PM »

I see this as a Bethesda/MS testing the waters to see how well it will go.  I'm not to keen to have armor on my Horse really, so I won't buy it

Now, if they offer a pack with additional questline especially for when you become the head of the respective guilds then I can see plunking down money for those, but not for armor just for the cool factor

NiM$
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 08:41:49 PM »

Considering I don't own a horse and don't see why I would ever want one when I can fast travel everywhere, I don't see a need for this mod. I sure could use a pack mule though.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 08:46:58 PM »

Horses are great for when you have to trek a mile or so into the wilderness to hit some mission in the middle of nowhere.  I have a 'special' horse and he doesn't need armor, kthanks. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 08:49:52 PM »

Quote from: "Ridah"
Considering I don't own a horse and don't see why I would ever want one when I can fast travel everywhere, I don't see a need for this mod. I sure could use a pack mule though.

You can't fast travel everywhere- outside of the main cities, fast travel is only available if you have already been to a location.  

That said, no way am I paying real money for horse armor (even though my first horse did ended up dying from one too many bandit raids).
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 09:00:45 PM »

I like the idea that they are offering mods for the 360.  However, as others have said, no way I'm paying money, especially 2.50, for a simple texture.

Honestly, if they charged 20 pts, or 50 pts I would probably go ahead and do it.  But, I want more actual content before I cough up the dough.

That said, if down the road they do a compilation of several mods for say... 200-400 pts.  I would consider that worthwhile.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 09:46:38 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
As they have all the tools (the modders can't make new models or animations, only replace textures)

Modders can't make new models at all?  Or is this just a current limitation?  

It's a current limitation. The exporters for 3dMax simply aren't out, so people can't save any new models in a format that Oblivion will understand. Now, this exporter did come out for Morrowind, but it took a few months.

It seems that players want to do a lot more modeling and mods and whatnot with Oblivion than with Morrowind when it first came out. Hell - best guess, there's a couple hundred mods out for the PC version already.

And as far as charging for PC mods go, the answer is yes. Bethesda said that they can't just make their mods free for the PC and charge 360 users. They also told everybody that they would be charging for their mods months before Oblivion's release.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 10:14:29 PM »

Quote from: "Jarrodhk"
I like the idea that they are offering mods for the 360.  However, as others have said, no way I'm paying money, especially 2.50, for a simple texture.

Honestly, if they charged 20 pts, or 50 pts I would probably go ahead and do it.  But, I want more actual content before I cough up the dough.

That said, if down the road they do a compilation of several mods for say... 200-400 pts.  I would consider that worthwhile.

Bingo!  It's the price point + value content that will drive this model.  If we want better than this claptrap, this better fail.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 10:27:56 PM »

I'm hoping this is just a continuation of 'overcharge at the onset and then offer free x-months down the line', like they did with Halo 2.  I absolutely love that model since I can be extremely patient, unlike the rest of the obsessive-compulsive gamers out there.  
They pay for the extra effort involved in making mods, and I reap the rewards.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 10:54:48 PM »

And as far as charging for PC mods go, the answer is yes. Bethesda said that they can't just make their mods free for the PC and charge 360 users.

I can't imagine many people will buy the mods on the PC version, especially with all the great mods out already.  At least I hope not.  Maybe if there are some great new quests, or guilds, I'd pay.  But for something I can probalby get for free, and most likely better, I won't go near the official plugins.

---
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 11:20:54 PM »

Rather then quote the various points above, I'll just outline my points.

1) I don't know anything about the specific horse armor available, but if it is more then graphical, IE: Actual armor, it could be helpful, because, while you can't direct your horse, your horse can fight and be killed.

2) It is a limitation on the 360 itself that will prevent home grown mods from ever reaching there. Either MS would have to open up/offer, some kind of community download center or Bethesda would have to do the same on their site then upload the mods for the community usiner their 360 developer account.

3) As for the exporter for models, there is a huge hurdle for this for Oblivion as opposed to Morrowind....Havok Physics....The Havok physics are incorporated into the models and IIRC, needed for the game to read them. Bethesda has a license to use Havok, however, they don't have a license to distribute it, which is what would be required at this point for 3D models to work. I suspect that we will first see static models that don't use Havok, then maybe others, such as characters, but from what I have been reading, it looks like an exporter/importer might be a long time coming.

4) I see a future for the 360 mods, but not as much for the paid PC ones, except for "expansions" such as guilds, quests, etc. and even then it might be a little rough becuase of the free user-created content. An exception, may be new models, particularly, characters and clothes, since those can't be made right now.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 12:18:20 AM »

Maybe for 60 points I would buy it, but not for 200.  That seems to be a little steep for something mainly cosmetic.  

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if it's customizable in any way or how many sets you get for 200 points?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 12:28:30 AM »

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 12:53:51 AM »

Quote from: "adamsappel"

That's it?  ugh.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 01:08:59 AM »

Quote from: "Punisher"
2) It is a limitation on the 360 itself that will prevent home grown mods from ever reaching there. Either MS would have to open up/offer, some kind of community download center or Bethesda would have to do the same on their site then upload the mods for the community usiner their 360 developer account.

So how will I purchasing Velocity Girl's homemade t-shirts available in the Marketplace for use in THAW?  I thought that was actually a big selling point during the MTV event.

Yes, I realize it sounds stupid, which is exactly why I brought it up.  How exactly were they planning to implement something like that?

If you want mods get the PC version.  Otherwise...  Well you've got two sets of horse armor.  Hey, at least they come as a set!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 01:49:27 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

So how will I purchasing Velocity Girl's homemade t-shirts available in the Marketplace for use in THAW?  I thought that was actually a big selling point during the MTV event.

Yes, I realize it sounds stupid, which is exactly why I brought it up.  How exactly were they planning to implement something like that?

If you want mods get the PC version.  Otherwise...  Well you've got two sets of horse armor.  Hey, at least they come as a set!

Since I have no idea what you are talking about, I can't answer that accurately, however, assuming THAW is a game, it is possible that Velecity Girl has a deal with the company who makes the game and they are selling it for her.

I suppose it"might" be possible if an end-user were to buy whatever license is required to sell stuff on the marketplace that they could eventually port mods over, but who knows how much that would cost.

Basically you are correct...If you wants mods, get the PC version.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 02:29:22 AM »

thats sort of annoying that the "mods" for horse armor, the very horse armor they showed the horse wearing when they said horse armor would be in the game before the game came out, wasnt able to be implemented in the game but is now out a week after, for a price

god thats a run on sentence with a lot of game and horse

edit: but i still love you bethesda! i have to get in ONE gripe in my life on those guys
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 05:04:56 AM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
Maybe for 60 points I would buy it, but not for 200.  That seems to be a little steep for something mainly cosmetic.  

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if it's customizable in any way or how many sets you get for 200 points?

From what I've read...

You get two pieces of horse 'armor' - steel and glass. It allows your horse to take additional damage during combat without being killed.

Or, you could just do like I did on via a quickly built mod on the PC - make it so all the purchasable horses can't die (only fall unconscinous). Why did I mod it in? After losing two horses while I was inside a dungeon (and yes, the outside was clear before I went in), I got tired of it and fixed the problem for good.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 06:57:29 AM »

Since I have no idea what you are talking about, I can't answer that accurately, however, assuming THAW is a game, it is possible that Velecity Girl has a deal with the company who makes the game and they are selling it for her.

This is what I'm talking about (from E3 2005):

Quote from: "J ALLARD"
Let's talk about VelocityGirl. We all know someone like her. She might pick up a controller every once in a while over at a friend's house but really gaming is not a central part of her existence.

It's an important question that we've struggled with in this industry for the last 20 years; how do we get the VelocityGirls of the world reconnected to our industry and back into the games...

But maybe most exciting, the Marketplace is going to be a way to get VelocityGirl reengaged with our market and reengaged with games. Because on the Marketplace, she's going to be an active member of the community, the community of people that play games like Tony Hawk.

Now, she might never pick up a controller, never take a run in the halfpipe but she'll be able to design and sell stickers, shirts, boards, sound tracks and even design her own skate park for those hardcore gamers like Striker.

Apparently user-made stuff (for sale) is something they've announced.  Like you I am kind of curious how they will accomplish it.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 08:39:56 AM »

Just give it a month after the 3D exporter tools are released and there'll be better horse armor.  Heck, maybe even mounted combat.  Tongue
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2006, 11:40:40 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Just give it a month after the 3D exporter tools are released and there'll be better horse armor.  Heck, maybe even mounted combat.  Tongue

Sure for the PC version.  I for one was looking forward to horse armor and already purchased the mod.  I would have liked to have seen the price be a bit less, maybe say 120 points = $1.50, but overall I am pleased.  Shadowmere is much more durable now and looks very very badass.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2006, 03:58:06 PM »

Just saw this posted by Kathode at OO  about additional content on the way.  This is more like it New Mods on the way

NiM$
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2006, 04:46:35 PM »

Ok I just need a bit of clarification here...since I don't have a 360... you have to pay REAL money for mods for the XBox?
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2006, 05:03:41 PM »

Just saw this posted by Kathode at OO about additional content on the way. This is more like it New Mods on the way

Unfortunately, we already have user made wizard towers and quests, so this doesn't offer to much.

And yes, armor on Shadowmere might be nice, but I'd rather just mod him to go to 'sleep'.  I'd probably reload the game if he died anyway, as he'd be impossible to replace.

---
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2006, 05:22:42 PM »

Quote from: "walTer"
Ok I just need a bit of clarification here...since I don't have a 360... you have to pay REAL money for mods for the XBox?

Yes: official mods released by Bethesda are purchased with "Microsoft Points" which, in turn, are purchased with real money charged to your credit card.  Since there's no mechanism in place to allow X-Box 360 players to create or distribute new content on their own, these are the only types of mods I can foresee for the console.

This is the exact reason why I purchased the PC version over the X-Box 360 version.  Mods transformed Morrowind into an entirely different game, and I bet that over time same thing is going to happen with Oblivion.

-Autistic Angel
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2006, 08:08:12 PM »

Just to let you guys know, I read that the horse armor will be available to PC users for $1.99 for the download.

Link

Bethesda PR man Pete Hines let me know that the PC version will be released in a day or two for $1.99 to download. I have to admit, my Shadowmere would look great in one of those sets.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2006, 08:13:14 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
Just to let you guys know, I read that the horse armor will be available to PC users for $1.99 for the download.

Link

Bethesda PR man Pete Hines let me know that the PC version will be released in a day or two for $1.99 to download. I have to admit, my Shadowmere would look great in one of those sets.

Until someone just makes a quick mod...then it's free.  1.99 for armor is silly- 20 "minor" vanity mods and you pay for the game again-with no real content- no thanks!
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2006, 08:21:32 PM »

Link

Until someone just makes a quick mod...then it's free.  1.99 for armor is silly- 20 "minor" vanity mods and you pay for the game again-with no real content- no thanks!

Ah, but is it legal to make a quick mod of a product for sale by Bethesda?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2006, 08:24:02 PM »

The only issue is that Bethesda hasn't released the software to allow the modding community to build this type of mod (adding new models and/or animations), and odds are aren't going to for a while. Some say it's a licensing issue (as who knows if Bethesda ever purchased a license to distribue the Havoc engine that's included in all of their 'capable of being interacted with gravity' models), while others say it's because of all the purchases people want to make.

Frankly, either way, I don't really care. I'm happy with the mods (and the game) that's out there right now, and I don't need to purchase any mods to drastically increase my enjoyment of the game. Best game I've played in a very long time, and I've more than definitely gotten my $60 (PC Collectors Edition) worth out of it.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2006, 08:27:57 PM »

Looks like there are plans for more stuff in the near future for downloads:

Linky

walTer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2006, 08:32:02 PM »

http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Category:Armor

Lots of free armor right there...all I'm saying is that it seems silly to charge money that hundreds of people are doing for free.

Are they gonna charge money for a new house...tons of house mods out there already...so what do they do, tell people it some type of violation to make house mods?
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2006, 08:45:57 PM »

Lots of free armor right there...all I'm saying is that it seems silly to charge money that hundreds if people are doing for free.

Are they gonna charge money for a new house...tons of house mods out there already...so what do they do, tell people it some type of violation to make house mods?

I meant horse armor and more specifically, the horse armor that Bethesda created themselves.  I don't think they could do anything if someone created horse armor in and of itself, but if someone created a mod and used the exact same art, there would be an issue.

walTer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2006, 08:54:50 PM »

Lots of free armor right there...all I'm saying is that it seems silly to charge money that hundreds if people are doing for free.

I meant horse armor and more specifically, the horse armor that Bethesda created themselves.  I don't think they could do anything if someone created horse armor in and of itself, but if someone created a mod and used the exact same art, there would be an issue.

Of course that would be an issue.  But if there are other horse armors available, why pay?
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2006, 08:57:16 PM »

Of course that would be an issue.  But if there are other horse armors available, why pay?

Well, if it is like the majority of mods I saw out there for Morrowind, the art isn't as good as the designers came up with.  I love the idea of mods, but I find quality mods are few and far between.

walTer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2006, 09:04:35 PM »

Ok I won't go on beating a dead horse....slywink

But there are some very fine mods out there- some very high quality ones too...as I am sure you know- my real point is that it seems stuipid to pay 2 dollars for a very and I mean very small and easily self made mod.

If people pay, more power to Bethesda...personally I'm holding out for actual content, not a 2 dollar hor...se.

sorry about that last bit, I am having a taco bell carb attack and it is making my brain silly  biggrin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: