http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 06:39:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Fight Night 3 impressions  (Read 12523 times)
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2006, 05:33:08 PM »

Last night was the first time I had a chance to play FN3 since I bought it a week ago, and wow, this one is a winner.

Some observations:
- Just like in FN2, I press the right thumbstick way too hard for some reason, and gave myself a blister on night 1.  What a sissy!  I don't remember pressing that hard when I play, but sure enough, I have a big blister on my right thumb today.

- Graphics are amazing.  

- The Classic bouts are NOT easy.  

- You really have to fight your style, and minimize the strengths of your opponents.  When I started working Ali's body for 4 rounds straight, he dropped to his knees in the 5th.  I lost 2 bouts before that one for trying to stick and move with Ali.  Was he really that fast for a big guy??

- It's still tough fighting unorthodox fighters, since their punch cues can be really tough to read.  

- Speedy fighters while not my preferred style, are freaking brutal in FN3 when played well.  

- I still don't like the prolonged counter period where your boxer is stuck unable to do anything.  It seems too exaggerated and over the top.

- Flash KOs are sick, and feel very real.  

- This is the first must own game for the 360, even if you're not a boxing fan.  If you enjoy more of a strategic fighting game, that isn't insanely hard or a cheesy button masher, FN3 is great.  It's so refreshing to come from DOA4 where fights last all of 20-30 seconds, to engaging in pugilistic duels that can last the course of a full bout.  I was physically and mentally drained after taking one of the classic fights to the 8th round, but it was very rewarding and felt like a real accomplishment.  Spending 20 seconds in the DOA4 spaz zone never felt rewarding to me.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2006, 07:56:16 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"

- I still don't like the prolonged counter period where your boxer is stuck unable to do anything.  It seems too exaggerated and over the top.

Nice impressions.  On the above comment let me just say to give it some time.  The actual "amount" of time you are stuck seems dependent on many factors... (what type of punch was thrown, parry style, how tired each fighter is, amount of damage already taken).  

Glad you like the game though.  It is fun as hell.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2006, 08:09:49 PM »

Yeah, and honestly it'd be difficult to get any counters in without that slow time afterwards.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2006, 08:29:30 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
you use the buttons to get your punches in. You might as well be playing DOA.

By that argument, if I wanted to twirl a stick around ever time I wanted to throw a special punch, I'd rather play street fighter.

I honestly don't see the problem with using buttons to throw punches.  Boxers really can throw punches that quickly and naturally, after all it's just moving your arms.  There's really no need for the TPC for the common punches like the jab, but the impact punches should be limited to the TPC.

Turtle, you make a real good point about the quick punches would be easier with buttons. I am going to give it a try and see if I can make it work. The next tourney we hold will allow config 3 if you want to get involved.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2006, 06:09:41 PM »

Retired at 43-8-0 after being moved up to lgiht heavyweight and making a rather embarrasing 2-3 run at the light heavyweight title. Over and over I would win the first 6 or 7 rounds then get kocked out in the 8th after the opponent reversed "KO mode" on me.

Fun game but I guess I'm not really into online play so it's getting traded in towards GRAW and Burnout next week.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2006, 01:10:22 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
It is really a shame Shifty doesn't like boxing, as this game is just tailor made for friends playing against each other.

Played the demo over and over again with my brother and a friend over the weekend.  We had a blast.  Actually, we couldn't stop playing.  So I did what any other hardcore gamer would do:  I dumped $60 into a game that focuses on a sport I absolutely hate.

I have the game.  :o

Line up folks.  The Starshifter punching bag is open for practice.    :wink:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2006, 01:40:06 PM »

Yeay Shifty!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2006, 11:26:20 PM »

Funny thing is I loved the demo, but when I finally rented the full game, didn't care for it nearly as much.  I actually went back and threw in FNR2 and enjoy it much more.  Just feels like the punches have more power in them than in 3.   That is my biggest complaint, besides the slow movement and how winded a professionally trained boxer gets after 4-6 consecutive punches.  I have never boxed, but I have been in many a karate match and have punched and thrown spinning jumping wild-ass kicks til my nose bled and could do that 10 times longer than these guys can a few punches.  That really bugs the crap out of me.    

Just personal preferences across the board.  Round 3 looks 10x better, but boy if any game shows me that liking the gameplay is more important than graphics, this game does.  

They are all good games for sure and I will no doubt dabble in them all from time to time in the months and years to come, but the money I had ear-marked for Round 3 is not seeking another place to land.  Hmm, maybe this Oblivion I keep hearing so much about.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2006, 08:55:06 PM »

Does anyone know if it's possible to have two different careers going on at the same time? I tried creating a second profile, but when I went to save my career for the first time I got a message saying that some data would be overwritten. I cancelled as I didn't want to risk erasing my brother's career (on a different profile). Is that a message that always pops up when you try to save or was it really warning me that I was about to erase his career?
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2006, 09:05:40 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Does anyone know if it's possible to have two different careers going on at the same time? I tried creating a second profile, but when I went to save my career for the first time I got a message saying that some data would be overwritten. I cancelled as I didn't want to risk erasing my brother's career (on a different profile). Is that a message that always pops up when you try to save or was it really warning me that I was about to erase his career?

Yeah, it works just fine under a new profile. That message comes up too often for my taste, but it's just saving/overwriting your profile currently in use.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2006, 09:32:54 PM »

Quote from: "Booner"
Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"

Yeah, it works just fine under a new profile. That message comes up too often for my taste, but it's just saving/overwriting your profile currently in use.

Awesome - thanks. Back to creating my fighter then. And if CC's fighter get's erased, well, I'm blaming you.  :wink:
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2006, 04:15:08 PM »

Where do you get the achievements?  Are they in career mode or classics?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2006, 04:52:22 PM »

Quote from: "The_Man"
Where do you get the achievements?  Are they in career mode or classics?

They are all from career mode.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
mad_alien
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2006, 11:20:52 AM »

Ok...I can't take it anymore. I got my 360 a couple of days ago and I passed on picking this up, but I can't resist, this game is a must have.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: