http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 02:22:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Fight Night 3 impressions  (Read 12487 times)
Booner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2006, 04:21:27 AM »

I'm in a bad way guys...I wanted to hunt you guys down, but my 360 has failed on me. I'm just too stunned to be mad about it right now. I could have been a contender. :cry:  

The 90 day warranty from MS expired yesterday if you can believe it. :evil: :cry:
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2006, 04:38:01 AM »

Quote from: "Booner"
I'm in a bad way guys...I wanted to hunt you guys down, but my 360 has failed on me. I'm just too stunned to be mad about it right now. I could have been a contender. :cry:  

The 90 day warranty from MS expired yesterday if you can believe it. :evil: :cry:

DAMN BOONER! That is stunning and chilling. I can't image losing my 360 now. Especially considering my original xbox has lasted the last 4 years.

BUMMER

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2006, 05:01:18 AM »

Well, just got off the phone with support and MS has extended all warrenties until March for early batches it seems...so they are overnighting a coffin for it. I hope the turnaround time is as fast as I've heard from others, because I really want to participate the FNR3 tourny.  smile

*crosses fingers*
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2006, 12:46:19 PM »

Well, just got off the phone with support and MS has extended all warrenties until March for early batches it seems...so they are overnighting a coffin for it. I hope the turnaround time is as fast as I've heard from others, because I really want to participate the FNR3 tourny.  smile

*crosses fingers*

See if MS will let you buy the 2 year warranty on your replaced system.  It is a very wise $60 investment.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2006, 01:18:22 PM »

I will have my copy tonight.  After a Birthday dinner I will up to kicking some of the arrogant arses in this tread.  

Don't hurt me too bad :p

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2006, 01:30:04 PM »

I picked this up yesterday, but I am totally new to the series and therefore there is no way in hell I would play any of you guys at this point.  I didn't get to play it much, but from what I did play, it is definitely very nice.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2006, 01:52:48 PM »

Did you know that Devil? We can take Hagler as a rookie and work our way up the ranks! How freakin' cool is that! You better make time for me this weekend too buddy. I want a piece of you Boston Boy!

IN!!

DJ - What are you scared of? Jump right in and take your beatings like the rest of us - It'll be fun!  biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2006, 02:26:29 PM »

So, Friday is here, I am at work (although I am predicting a miserable day, I feel so lousy) - and I plan on being a homebody all weekend to fully recover from my sickness.

Therefore - Let's start the beatdowns tonight and have them go throughout the weekend.  I can't possibly do worse then I did against Scoop, which is losing 3 out of 3 fights in the course of a two hour period, and getting knocked out in all of them, so I really have nothing to lose.

Perhaps I should change my live name from Lockdown to Knockdown.   :?
- - - - -
At any rate, I was up early this morning and played my next fight in my career.  I absolutely trashed the guy I was fighting.  My average hit/miss ratio has been 1:1  (50% missed punches) so far.  After Scoop-School 101, I have seriously improved my game.  I landed 71% of my punches against this last opponent.  I was bobbing, weaving, landing combos, and my normally non-existant defense improved.  Before last night, my average opponent had landed about 65% of his shots against me.  This latest guy was 49%.  My point being, even though I got butchered by Scoop, xbox live is a great training ground!

Things I still am not able to do though: (1) Parry when I want to.  I can't tell what is being thrown at me, and when I do see it, I'm hit 3 times before I can bring the right parry position up.  (2) Get out of corners fast enough.  I am getting better, but I still tend to have lousy footwork.  (3) Put a guy away when I have him hurt.  I just have no Killer Instinct or something, and I must improve in this.  
- - - -
One note on the 3 fights Scoop and I had last night.  The last fight was a Welterweight or Middleweight (I forget) fight between Roberto Duran (me) and Sugar Ray Robinson (Scoop).  10 rounder.  He absolutely destroyed me, BUT... late in the fight I had him tired enough where I was starting to connect with a some flash shots.  Really really hurt him a few times, and even knocked him down once.  It was a classic boxer vs. slugger match where the boxer just dominated the fight, but the slugger always had a chance due to his aggressiveness and power.  Now, I need to give Scoop credit, he is very, very, very good at getting away from trouble, but if I were just a bit better at closing things out....  who knows what might have happened.

It is really a shame Shifty doesn't like boxing, as this game is just tailor made for friends playing against each other.  Next year, they should really add a spectator mode!

If anyone is around over the next 3 days, and sees me online, go ahead and invite me.  Now that I know how much it helps to play against real people, even if I get hammered, I am open to all invitations.  Bring it on!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2006, 04:09:02 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Did you know that Devil? We can take Hagler as a rookie and work our way up the ranks! How freakin' cool is that! You better make time for me this weekend too buddy. I want a piece of you Boston Boy!

IN!!

DJ - What are you scared of? Jump right in and take your beatings like the rest of us - It'll be fun!  biggrin

I agree. Even when I'm losing I'm having a blast trying to mount a comeback while watching my grill get smashed. smile

Dare I say it....Best Fighting Game Ever?

Looks fantastic...jaw dropping drool inducing good.
Combos anyone?
It has great pacing and strategy.
Deformable faces.
Sounds are brutal.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2006, 08:56:05 PM »

Well the game just keeps getting better and better for me.  I'm 22-2 right now and my opponents are starting to have equal to better stats then I do, so  I really have to concentrate.  One thing i have noticed is that some styles cause me more trouble then others.  Winky Wright i have taken on twice and just abused both times, knocking him out in the 5th in my last fight.  Jermaine taylor on the other hand has taken me to the brink both tims i've fought him.  The last fight being an epic 10 rounder where he had me on the ropes twice.  I knocked him down in the 9th, and then in the 10th I saw something I hadn't seen before.  We were both EXTREMELY tired and the next big punch might decide things.  Well I got lucky and blocked one of his punches properly and went with two body shots.  The body shots looked as if they actually lifted him off the ground i.e Rocky 4 when Rocky is pouding the Russianwith body shots.  The lift of taylor's body and the look on his face told me it was over, the second body shot started the danger sequence and a well timed uppercut did him in.  It was the best fighting ever.  DOA4 has nothing on this if you ask me.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2006, 09:34:27 PM »

As soon as evening hits and my campus connection calms down enough to get rid of the lag... you're all on.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2006, 09:39:57 PM »

IN!!

I agree. Even when I'm losing I'm having a blast trying to mount a comeback while watching my grill get smashed. smile

Alright, I will add some of you folks to my friends list.  Look for The Grue.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2006, 01:58:47 AM »

Even with Clanwolfer kicking my butt, I had an absolute blast.  Thanks for all the tips it really helped tremendously.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2006, 02:28:01 AM »

The Devil vs. Lockdown Wars have now officially extended to Fight Night Round 3.

Fight 1: Middleweights.  6 round decision.  Winner... ME!

Fight 2: Featherweights: 7th round knockout.  Winner... Devil.

Interesting note:  The second fight, I had almost 100 counter punches to his 12,  helping me to take the first 5 rounds.  Round 6 and 7, going toe-to-toe, Devil just whooped my ass.  Outcome?  Me on my back twice!

So...Much...Fun !!!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2006, 03:01:55 AM »

I average about 115 punches a round - You can't block 'em all!!

Good times!!!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2006, 04:14:08 AM »

I average about 115 punches a round - You can't block 'em all!!

That made me laugh.   biggrin

LD

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2006, 04:25:26 AM »

I tried adding Devil to my Friend's List and it said his was full.  You sure have a lot of friends, Devil. smile

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2006, 05:16:25 AM »

Hah!  That was funny DJ.  

He has like 5 friends.  The rest are either (a) people that want to be added, and he accepts, even though he has no clue in hell who they are, or (b) people that he won't clean off his list even though they have probably been on there for over a year and he has never once played a Live game with them.

Tongue

LD

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2006, 06:37:18 AM »

Well, if we wants to kick my ass, he better make room. Tongue

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2006, 03:07:07 PM »

Hey Lockdown:

Here is how to use a custom boxer online. I guess this means we can't use the guys we create in career mode.
Got this off of EA's support site.

===================

Question
  How do I use a created player online?

Answer
  You must create a champ offline before you can use him to play online.

To create a player:

Choose Create Champ from the main menu.
Make sure to set the weight class to the class you are going to play online or you will not be able to use him.
Once you have set him up, choose to Accept the settings.
Make sure to give your boxer some gear before you attempt to play online.
To take your player online:

From the main menu choose to Play Online.
Create an invite for a ranked or unranked game.
Choose the weight class of the boxer you made.
Set the Custom Boxers option to On on the second page of the settings.
Send the invite.
When you are at the Match Setup screen, select your boxer by going to the current boxer's name and pressing left until your boxer appears.
Note:  When you stop playing online or turn off your console, your boxer will be deleted.  Created Champs are only for temporary use online and are not able to be saved.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2006, 05:48:49 PM »

Listen, punks!!

I'll get in there and clear some clowns off the A-List. Anyone on there should feel lucky OR just wants some easy wins at various games.

Might have to hire a bouncer to see who makes the cut.

biggrin

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2006, 06:20:38 PM »

Ha! I have aquired a 360 to use until mine returns from MS....so I'm up for a few bouts over the weekend.

*does a jig*

KnucklesWhite is my gamertag
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2006, 07:08:33 PM »

I have yet to get my copy, but I am hearing that it is too easy-even on hard.   Please tell me it isn't.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2006, 07:22:02 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
I have yet to get my copy, but I am hearing that it is too easy-even on hard.   Please tell me it isn't.

I guess it all depends on how good you are at these games.  I am slowly learning but still unable to beat the AI on medium.  I am playing on easy, and can't imagine trying hard difficulty level yet.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2006, 07:42:06 PM »

It's definitely not too easy on hard...at least not for me. Sure, your 1st 10 pro bouts might not be so tough, but it really starts to ramp up in difficulty as you go along. I'm currently 16-4-0 as a pro being knocked out twice and two losses by decision (One fairly close and one very lopsided).
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2006, 07:49:26 PM »

Man, I suck at this game.  I tried playing som e of the ESPN classics and the Hard Hits games and I just keep getting my ass kicked on Medium.  I went through the tuorials and learned how to do the punches with the right stick, but I just keep sucking and failing to parry.  Definitely need to work on figuring out when someone is going low or high.

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2006, 10:37:22 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
Man, I suck at this game.  I tried playing som e of the ESPN classics and the Hard Hits games and I just keep getting my ass kicked on Medium.  I went through the tuorials and learned how to do the punches with the right stick, but I just keep sucking and failing to parry.  Definitely need to work on figuring out when someone is going low or high.

That is the single hardest thing to predict in this game, is he going to the body or my knogin. When guess right, you feel like a genius, when u guess wrong, OUCH!

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2006, 11:58:40 PM »

Ugh - after reaching 22-2-0 I started fighting this assbag named "Clubber".  I went from round 2 to round 3 knockouts to 'can't beat him at all'.  I've fought him 5 times now and every time he has absolutely decimated me.  Talk about instant difficulty ramp up...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2006, 01:42:01 AM »

Good.  I am glad it is hard.  Dumb Gamefly still hasn't gotten mine to me.  This is my last friggin month with them, thank God.  But I can't wait to get it.  Sad thing is I have a free rental card for Blockbuster and saw 2 copies there yesterday.  Hated to waste the coupon when I knew it was supposed to be coming.  So, I go back today when I didn't get cuz I couldn't wait and yep, all gone.  Dammit.  I guess I will have it no sooner than Monday now.  Aaaarrrrggggghhhhh.  

Am enjoying you alls impressions and adventures though.  Thanks.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2006, 03:16:57 AM »

Just to show how bad I am, I did an exhibition match between Ali and Duran.  I was Ali.  I got knocked out in the 5th.  Apparently, I just don't get it. frown

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2006, 03:23:52 PM »

Taking Marvelous Marvin Hagler up through the ranks, I have just won the Amateur Middleweight Title by knocking the everloving snot out of the old champ.  Hagler is now 5-0 with 3 knockouts and a gut-busting left hook.

Fun stuff!

Felt so good about myself, I then went to 'Play Now' and picked the real Hagler vs. De La Hoya.  What a fight.  Played on Hard.  Knocked his ass out in the 8th.  I love me some Marvelous!

Edit to add:  Just went online and fought my first ranked fight.  Took Hagler vs. Roy Jones Jr.  Knocked him out in the 9th round.  But the fight was absolutely insanely cool.  First 3 rounds, I could barely hit the guy.  He was sticking and moving, jabbing and retreating.  It was frustrating, cause I couldn't cut off the ring.  He won the first three round 10-9.  Then, he cut me... BAD.  My left eye was at 88% cut at one point.  I have a feeling if you hit 100%, they stop the fight.  So my new tactic was to protect that left eye at all costs, and counter punch, as well as switch from Southpaw to Orthodox.  Not Hagler's typical style, but I needed to last until the late rounds, because I knew he would eventually tire out.  Round 4 was even, as I started countering his blows, going to his body, and taunting him into exchanging blows.  By the 8th round, my cut was under control somewhat (hovering around 50%), and I had taken the 5th, 6th, and 7th, as Roy was getting TIRED.  haha!  I was back in it.  8th round, BAM !!!  - Knocked him down with a vicious right uppercut counterpunch.  In total, I knocked him down twice in the round.  Hagler was getting tired too though.  You REALLY have to watch your punch count PER ROUND in this game.  Your punches will get so darn slow, you won't be able to capitalize on an opponents mistakes if you don't.  Then the 9th round came.... Let's just say, he went down and didn't get up!  Absolutely the most fun thing I have ever done on Xbox Live to date was this fight.  I was this close []  to throwing in the towel after the first 3 rounds, and seeing a guy who hardly ever even lifted his gloves to block beat me.  (keep in mind the guy was like 3wins 4losses - so he wasn't great by any means, but I'm still happy as hell)  

If we go middleweights in the tournament, I think I will be going with Marvelous!  He's not the "best" fighter, nor does his style perfectly fit with what I like to do, but he is good luck!

biggrin

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2006, 08:18:12 PM »

Got up to 147 punches in a round in my career mode!!

Arms...so..tired.....

biggrin

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2006, 02:59:55 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Ugh - after reaching 22-2-0 I started fighting this assbag named "Clubber".  I went from round 2 to round 3 knockouts to 'can't beat him at all'.  I've fought him 5 times now and every time he has absolutely decimated me.  Talk about instant difficulty ramp up...

Are you saying you are resetting the game to get the win? Take the loss and move on! I'm 26-3-0 now, closing in on the PPV fight. I finally beat the guy who gave me my first two losses, then got stomped by "Nails".

They seem to throw a ringer at you every once in a while... my fight results as a pro go like this:
9 KOs - KOed once - 9 KOs - KOed once - 3 KOs - KOed once - 5 KOs

For the most part my wins have come fairly easily (except LaMotta, that was a tough fight) and my losses have been absolute poundings. Things have been ramping up slowly as training becomes less and less effective and opponent stats are getting closer, but really it's just the ringers that keep it challenging.

I think it would also be harder if you auto-trained every time rather than playing the mini-games. I've failed to get max twice out of 34ish training sessions (both times on the freakin combo dummy).

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2006, 04:32:19 PM »

Got up to 147 punches in a round in my career mode!!

Arms...so..tired.....

biggrin

Rookie, I can break 160 easy.  :oops: Heck sometimes I even connect nearly 60% of those.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2006, 11:50:01 PM »

That damn Gamefly.  Never ever join them.  I have been a member now 3 months and every month they lose a game in the mail coming TO me.  Never FROM me.   Hmmm.   At any rate, I got the game on my queue that was shipped two days AFTER FNR3, but have yet to see FNR3.  Pisses me off.  

I want to get my head bashed in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2006, 03:03:03 AM »

Yeah Coop, but you use the buttons to get your punches in. You might as well be playing DOA.

Why don't you step it up and throw down like a man?

:wink:   biggrin

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2006, 04:46:08 AM »

you use the buttons to get your punches in. You might as well be playing DOA.

By that argument, if I wanted to twirl a stick around ever time I wanted to throw a special punch, I'd rather play street fighter.

I honestly don't see the problem with using buttons to throw punches.  Boxers really can throw punches that quickly and naturally, after all it's just moving your arms.  There's really no need for the TPC for the common punches like the jab, but the impact punches should be limited to the TPC.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2006, 01:12:40 PM »

TPC is what makes this game different.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2006, 02:42:44 PM »

Stamina, RPG-like stats, realistic damage modeling and lack of oversized jiggly bits make this game different. TPC is artificial difficulty. The game lets you play with buttons, I prefer to play with buttons rather than stress my hands any more than necessary.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2006, 02:53:24 PM »

Booo!!!

When do we match up in the tourney?  :wink:

I won't make it past the first fight...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print