http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 02:11:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Fight Night 3 impressions  (Read 12459 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2006, 11:35:08 AM »

Don't think I'm getting it today as money is a bit tight, but I will have it Friday.

So lets get with those impressions

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 12:56:18 PM »

I too will have this Friday (rent) but an impression or two might sway me to the poor side-buying it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 01:06:39 PM »

Sports Forum!  biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 01:56:21 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Sports Forum!  biggrin

Shush, you devil  :wink:

NiM$
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 02:24:27 PM »

Just trying to keep you honest.

I'm ascared that if we don't use it, Ron might take it away!

biggrin

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 02:26:23 PM »

Isn't the sports forum more for dedicated sports conversations?  I'd think that sports video game impressions certainly belong in this forum!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 02:28:45 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
Isn't the sports forum more for dedicated sports conversations?  I'd think that sports video game impressions certainly belong in this forum!

The Sports forum is called "Sports Gaming."  Fight Night 3 is a sports game and therefore belongs in there.  I kind of hate it myself because I always forget that forum exists and I do want to see impressions of Fight Night.  I guess I will have to keep peeking in there.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 02:56:14 PM »

I never go into sports discussion, and since it's a console game, I'd like to see it here.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 03:08:26 PM »

Unless there is a shipping delay, I should have my initial impressions up sometime tonight.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 03:28:28 PM »

From the IGN review

All of that aside, the computer AI is what keeps the single-player experience from being fun. There's always the challenge of beating the game, but the computer is so easy to beat, even on hard, that there's no real motivation to play a second career mode except to try a different weight class. Once, our boxer just stood there and didn't throw one punch the whole round, and the computer opponent landed about seven jabs and a hook and missed about 30 punches and caused no significant damage. That's just silly. Speaking of silly, it was no great challenge to knockout heavyweight Muhammad Ali in the fifth round, on hard, with featherweight Manny Pacquiao, even though the Filipino stallion is less than half the size of Ali. Next year we really hope to see the AI and difficulty settings improved.

I play SP most of the time so this pretty much says no play for me.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 03:48:48 PM »

It's a sports game.  It belongs in the Sports Forum.  Is it really so difficult to comprehend?

Christ Almighty!

Tongue

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 03:54:30 PM »

I never go into sports discussion

You're missing out!

I agree with Ponch.

There. I said it.  :wink:

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 07:38:06 PM »

Impressions!

Quick ones, though, managed to grab a quick fight before a phone meeting.

First of all, the interface is kind of 'meh'.  The menu system is alright, but the way it always asks which memory unit (I only have the hard drive) is kind of annoying.  Totally different, much better interface within the Live portion, there are about 150 people playing right now online.  Jumped back offline to start an ESPN Classics fight (Ali vs. Frazier, of course).  There's a nice little intro in which they give a bit of advice on each fighter's style.

In-game, things are about as the demo would indicate.  Didn't play long enough to get too much of a feel for the commentary; they weren't too far off most of the time, though.  Hoping it's an improvement over the demo long-term.  The graphics are gorgeous; they manage to keep that quality from the demo gym all the way up to the scale of the stadium environment, and the fighters look as good as the two in the demo.  Ali and Frazier have pretty well-done styles, and fighting as each one definitely felt like a different fight.  Wrecked Frazier in 4 as Ali with lightning speed, but taking control of Frazier then felt like driving a truck.  Took me six rounds to finish Ali (although I upped the difficulty to Hard in between), whose speed gave me trouble.  I just had to keep concentrating on the body and wearing him down with isolated big hooks to the midsection.

Haven't tried the cutman, listened to the between-round trainer dialogue, or done a host of other things yet.  Beating each fighter unlocked the style of the defeated fighter (i.e., when you beat Frazier, you get the 'Bully' style), and Ali also yielded a fight package, which means I'll probably be playing through the Classics mode a lot more before creating a fighter so I can mess around with more styles.  Not sure if this is for every Classic fight or just the Ali-Frazier one.

Hit me with questions: should be able to hop on and answer later today.

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 08:03:52 PM »

Rate the difficulty?  Also buy or rental?

NiM$
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 08:17:49 PM »

Quote from: "tru1cy"
Rate the difficulty?  Also buy or rental?

Bought it.  Not sure if it has legs in career mode, but I tend to play FN games to death, so I'm pretty sure I'll get my money's worth.

Difficulty, it's hard to say.  The one fight at medium wasn't difficult at all for me, but I prefer speed-style fighters, and I put in a LOT of time on the demo.  Hard felt about right for my level; I fell once, and clinched out quite a few times.  We'll see how I do at the lower tiers of the career mode before I make a judgement.

Good things about the difficulty: it never felt, even on Medium, like a completely foregone conclusion.  There were a few moments when Frazier could have put me down and forced me to clinch out, and capitalizing on a few of those could have swung the fight hugely.  It really does come down to countering a fighting style; against Frazier, I had to parry the big shots for the win, and against Ali, I had to ride out the wave of fast, light punches, and press the advantage to get in big body shots when I could, without leaving myself open for any huge flurries.  It seems like, at least between these two fighters, it's balanced enough that you can't just power through every time, or rely simply on landing more shots.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 08:21:46 PM »

I should have impressions tonight sometime on the 360 version.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 08:53:32 PM »

Picked it up and lunch.

Tried medium and hard and they are different. Duran was more aggressive in hard mode than on medium.  I also just stood there and
Duran really put it on me.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 09:01:36 PM »

Quote from: "shon"
Picked it up and lunch.

Tried medium and hard and they are different. Duran was more aggressive in hard mode than on medium.  I also just stood there and
Duran really put it on me.

Nice. That's good to hear.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 09:06:01 PM »

I played a ton of FN2, and was looking forward to FN3.  Is it possible IGN's review copy was a late build that didn't have all the AI stuff worked out?  I just can't believe they would miss the boat on the AI so much that you could stand there and do nothing without getting detroyed on hard.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 09:07:42 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
I played a ton of FN2, and was looking forward to FN3.  Is it possible IGN's review copy was a late build that didn't have all the AI stuff worked out?  I just can't believe they would miss the boat on the AI so much that you could stand there and do nothing without getting detroyed on hard.

My thinking as well.   I am really looking forward to this game

NiM$
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 10:53:20 PM »

Mines being shipped from Gamefly as we speak and if good and I decide to keep it it is only $47.99 plus tax.  Not bad.  Should have by Saturday.   Can't wait to join you all in a pugilistic foray.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2006, 01:34:24 AM »

Know what's really cool about Fight Night?

When I start playing, I'm going to put my impressions in the SPORTS FORUM!!!

JERKS!!!  biggrin

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2006, 01:55:47 AM »

Moved to the sports forum.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2006, 02:47:15 AM »

Ahhhh....feels like home in here now... biggrin

Played through one match in my career (won) and beat up on some guy using Hagler.

I don't see much difference from the first game, which is good. I skipped the second one because the feedback in here was 50/50.

Is there that much difference from the first one?

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2006, 06:32:26 AM »

Played through the rest of the ESPN Classics mode tonight, and one multiplayer match.

I highly recommend doing the Classics (at least half) before starting a career; it both unlocks various styles and kits for you and allows you to try out a bunch of styles so you can know what you like better before you start a career.  Plus, they're just plain fun.  It probably took me and my roomie about 6 hours total to burn through the whole list (doing part of it on hard), but I've picked up a much better understanding of the various fight styles and an appreciation of how much they affect the gameplay.  The fights are all very well-done, and any of the matches can go either way; which ones are easy seems to depend on your preferred style, as my roomie can breeze through my tough fights and vice versa.  This Classics mode will definitely be a nice one to duck back to once in a while, especially when I have friends over; since all the matches are more or less balanced, this should cut down on whining about which boxer is unbalanced.  smile

On a whim, I tried out a quick game on Live before stopping for the night.  It was a little laggy, but it didn't effect gameplay too terribly much.  It took me about half a round to adjust to the pace, and then I was fine.  Knocked out some random guy playing Jones Jr., with me playing Holyfield.  I'm sure it will be more fun to play against you guys than random people, but I'm also looking forward to some ranked fights, too.

Seeing as I haven't even touched the career or Hard Hits modes, and I've barely even begun to scratch the surface of multiplayer, I think this game might have some legs to it.  The difficulty in SP is fine; I put it up to Hard for a while, but dropped it to Medium while fighting with a few fighters whose styles I just couldn't adapt to very well in Classics mode; Medium is providing a satisfying but not frustrating challenge, but Hard wasn't such a step up that I'll never put the difficulty there.

Also, for people who played the demo: still not sold on the commentary entirely (more on that later, when my impressions solidify), but replays are much better overall in the retail box.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2006, 09:09:24 AM »

Quote from: "Clanwolfer"
...but replays are much better overall in the retail box.

That is great to hear.  Thanks for posting that Clanwolfer.

Please keep the impressions coming too.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2006, 03:14:24 PM »

I've played about 3 cpu and about 6 online fights.
I have noticed lag on about 2 of the fights but it was only for
about 10 to 15 sec long then back to normal.  

Vs the cpu there is a difference between medium and hard the
boxers are more aggressive and do fight better.

Online is where it is at though.  I've had about 4 knockdowns and one
decision.  My last knockdown came in the last round which I really
needed.  There are not a lot of haymakers landed which is good and
it is really hard to flash ko as well.

I am enjoying this game.

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 03:45:34 PM »

I got about 4 hours in last night. First off, they took last years design and did alot of polishing beyond the incredible graphics upgrade.

I started out with Xbox Live since I think battling other humans will give this game legs for me and I wanted to see how it played. About 500 people were online last night when I was on. I played a non-ranked fight and got my ass handed to me. The guy I was fighting just threw haymaker after haymaker and I scored quite a bit but unfortunately my defense needs some work. He caught me a few times with a big haymaker. BEWARE, these are powerful punches. I though there was very little lag although the pace is a bit slower than SP so you just need to adjust. There is very little more satisfying than parrying a haymaker and then winding up and punishing your opponent while hearing him screaming in your headphones, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" vader style.

You can create custom matches and then invite your friends so it seems pretty easy to hook up with the people on your friends list. Much better than last year.

I then jumped right into career mode (haven't tried ESPN classics yet). With the new graphical upgrade the boxers look more and more human and I was able to create a slight likeness to myself, "DIESEL!!". Game play is the same as last time as you start out as an amaturs.

Instead of working your way up a contender list, fight contracts are now offered to you three or four at a time. Some fights have bigger purses (mo money) and some increase your popularity. Popularity is new and you build it up by winning fights and I guess lose it when you lose. When you fill up the meter you fight either a title match or some other big fight (there seem to be quite a few). This innovation feels more real and is a big improvement to me.

I worked up my popularity meter to full and got to take on the amatur champion and laid him out in two round. After the fight, the main screen shows a VERY quick promotional slide showing you kicked his ass and him vowing revenge. Looks like we might have a rematch in the future, BRING IT ON!!

Training has been tweaked for the better. The training games are exactly the same but now it shows exactly how many points you need to score for each game and exactly how many stat improvements you get too. I makes it much easier to gauge how to train your boxer.

The fights are fun but right now my opponents are quite inferior to me so I am mowing them down.

I did get caught with a stun punch in one fight and went down. I like this because now flash KOs and stun punches are possible but are not dictated by chance. I saw the punch coming but I couldn't get out of the way and BAM! My fighter got back up and won the fight by knock out but it is nice to see the tide of a fight can turn even when a fighter is losing.

Overall, I am happy with the game so far and can't wait to get into some online matches with GTers soon.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2006, 04:52:52 PM »

Last night on the way home from work, I grabbed a bit of take out dinner, picked up my copy of FNR3, chowed down while RTFM, and settled in for a night of pugilism. After so much time with the demo, I decided to jump right into the career mode.

You set your name, hometown, weightclass, then start building your fighter. You're able to set your height and weight within your class limits, plus your general body proportions (Holyfield or Butterbean). Your also able to pick from about 20 nicknames that you'll be known as by the announcers. There are three components that will make up your 'style'. I may get the terms or order of the build wrong but they are....

Base stance : Are you speedy, upright, wildman, slugger, bully, etc. (maybe 6-8 stances to choose from).
Blocking : You start with two styles open to you and there is a third to unlock.
Punching : Flashy hands, hard straights, lethal uppercuts, etc. (also around 6 to choose from).

Then off to make a face which is pretty well set up. There are maybe 14 modifiers to fool with and your analog sticks will morph the selected feature (think eve online). I had an image of my boxer in my head and was able to come pretty close without putting too much time into it.

The last thing to do is set your stats. You start with a limited number of points to spend across ~12 areas such as chin, body, speed, power, heart, stamina, and agility.

And thus the amateur career of John "Mr. Showtime" McCurvich began.

Once at the career screen, you have a store, a menu to edit your style, and a menu to sign contracts. The store provides gear from mouthpieces, to jocks, to tattoos, some of which give small stat bonuses. Then there are the contracts. You are usually presented with a few possible fights and the chance to scout them out and compare stats. Once you've signed on you're able to train for the upcoming fight. You're only able to do one type of training for each fight. The minigames boost some stats while slightly reducing others, so picking the right training can really help offset what the upcoming opponent is bringing to the table. Then you fight.

As an amateur, I went 4-0-1 with 3 KOs.

So far as a Professional I'm 5-1-0 with 4 KOs.

Yes, I was beaten in my 3rd pro fight, but he was a ringer I tell you! I'd won the first two rounds but had punched myself out. Come the end of the third, he caught me with a Flash KO that sent me sprawling. I was holding on for dear life after that and spent the next two rounds trying to score points with my jab while staying out of trouble. Somewhere along the line he had cut me pretty badly and I wasn't fast enough to clean it up between rounds, so the ref stopped the fight midway through the 6th. I was upset that I lost, but happy to see the AI can box well enough to win rounds.

Moral of the Story? I like it alot and can't wait for the workday to be over. :p
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2006, 04:53:04 PM »

Well I've put in quite a few hours on the single player career mode.  I'm 16-2 right now and making my way up the ladder.  The early career figghts are pretty easy, partly because your stats are so much better then your opponents, as you progress, your ability to raise your stats through training begin to decrease while your competition gets better.  This can trick you as you get use to knocking your opponent down in 2 to 3 rounds and then the next thing you know you get a guy whose stats are getting close to yours and he hangs around with you until the 6th or 7th round.  My two losses have come due to the fact that I didn't adjust to taking on fighters who could take a punch and couter a lot better.  by the 6th round i had tired myself out and was easy pickings.

You tend to get offered 2-4 contracts with some being basic fights, some having popularity bonuses from fighting named fights, and others being hard hits fights.  Just recently I've had a few undercard matches in Madison Square garden which is cool, also i've had a rival rematch with the guy I beat to win the amature title.  My last fight gave a bonus of about 15k for knocking the guy out in the 6th round.  So far I would say the single player mode is pretty good and I don't think I'm even a 3rd through it.  I'm fighting on medium and the fights seem to be getting tougher to, so I'm not buying the easy fights story IGN had in there review.

Hope this helps people...
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2006, 05:51:36 PM »

Excellent impressions all around guys... will be picking this up on the way home tonight!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2006, 06:00:41 PM »

I agree.  Great impressions!

I have a question though.  Regarding a few of you that mentioned you "punched yourself out" and got tired by round x ...  

How do you know this exactly?   Can you feel it in the joystick, or does your fighter just not respond to what you want to do, or does it actually tell you somehow?  Just curious really.  Is the way to combat that upping your stamina rating and punching less, or is it more complex then that?

Thanks.

LD

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2006, 06:08:49 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
I agree.  Great impressions!

I have a question though.  Regarding a few of you that mentioned you "punched yourself out" and got tired by round x ...  

How do you know this exactly?   Can you feel it in the joystick, or does your fighter just not respond to what you want to do, or does it actually tell you somehow?  Just curious really.  Is the way to combat that upping your stamina rating and punching less, or is it more complex then that?

Thanks.

There are a few things that can let you know your tired. Your shoulders are slumping, hands are a bit lower, heavy breathing, and your punches slowing down.

Body blows will also wear you out, so protect your body and dig into your opponents when you can.

You can up your stamina between fights with training, but during a fight I'll 'take a round off' and just toss out a few jab, keep moving and not throw anything big unless I'm 90% sure it'll land (missing is draining). If I stay out of trouble I can start picking the pace back up during the following round.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2006, 06:23:49 PM »

I know squat about boxing, but reading these impressions really makes me want this game.  Maybe I will trade in DOA4 (which I just suck at and is too fast-paced for me) for something like this.  I assume this is more slow-paced than DOA4?  Or maybe I will keep DOA4 and just try to figure out how to get better an then pick up this boxing game as well. smile

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2006, 06:33:31 PM »

DJ, this game is not a button masher and is much more strategic than past boxing games. You really have to time your punches and if you successfuly parrying an opponents punch, he can't move for an instant and you can counter with great effect.

Lockdown, the biggest indicator that you have punched yourself out is how slow your punches get as you wear out. Early in the fight, my fighters punches are crisp and after throwing a punch he quickly snaps back into a defensive position.

After I tire my guy out from throwing too many punches, he arms drop and he literally looks tired and he just punches SOO much slower.

No HUD needed and I don't even miss it. EA really has done a masterful job, IMHO.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2006, 06:38:18 PM »

Great impressions guys... I've played for maybe 20 mins or so and just fiddled around with things.  Rather like it so far.

gellar
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2006, 07:02:53 PM »

Absolutely pick it up if you don't like the twitch-based games, DiscoJason.  This game is far, far more focused on the strategic elements of boxing (single rounds are 3 minutes, and most fights go at least 4 rounds) rather than landing the first combo and dominating from there.  Well-timed punches can turn a fight around, but you don't have to land something in the .0002 seconds that a twitch game gives you to counter.

Besides, because the fights last so long, I'm guessing this will be a really great social game among the OO and GT crowds.

StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2006, 08:45:35 PM »

Yes this game is much more strategic, it's about using your styles and abilities as best you can.  What the guys have said about getting tired is exactly correct, you can tell what's going on by the sharpness of punches, the expressions on their faces, and even if you can't take the hint, the commentators will allude to it during the fight, and your trainer might say something.  One of the things i've noticed as a speed puncher is that you can't forget to take your shot every now and then.  I fell in love with my quick snapping jabs but never took as many power punches as I should have, thus my opponent was not getting as beat up as he should have. (another reason I lost those two fights).

As you play and win popularity matches against some of the named fighters, you unlock a lot of the styles they use which is pretty cool for practicing and seeing what style suits you best.  Can't wait to unlock Joe Frazier's style and use that for my Tyson clone...
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2006, 09:09:32 PM »

Wanna know how cool XBOX 360 is?

I am at work and I just checked my XBOX Live friends list and I can see Ron is playing Fight Night 3 right now, offline, "Barrera vs Barrera".

Neat.  Cool

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2006, 09:11:16 PM »

HA!  Thats pretty cool.  biggrin

For my own experience, I'm finding the difficulty a bit lacking.  If you have really mastered total punch control, you'll be busting out round 1 and round 2 knockouts pretty quickly.  For the button mashers...see ya in round 12 at that decision. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: