http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 08:55:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Far Cry Intincts Predator review up at IGN  (Read 834 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2006, 09:23:15 PM »

http://And it isn't great

While the gameplay is practically identical to the Xbox, what about the graphics? Honestly, you're not going to be blown away by Far Cry Instincts Predator's visuals. The water looks great and animates well, the draw distance has been pushed back significantly and the lighting looks better, which makes for some strikingly pretty scenes. That's only on certain occasions, however. Most of the time, you're going to be staring at high-resolution Xbox textures, high-resolution Xbox characters, vehicle and weapon models, and high resolution Xbox fire effects. Enemies animate like they do in the Xbox version, the physics work exactly the same and the explosions look practically identical, though displayed at a higher resolution. Though there are certainly visual improvements over FCIE, FCIP doesn't look anywhere near as good as other games on the Xbox 360 like Call of Duty 2 or Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter. Still, the framerate remains solid, which in a first-person shooter is one of the most important factors.

Feels like something I said earlier this week about this round of 360 releases - prettier rehashes.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 09:32:59 PM »

Here I'll help ya, Farley....

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/699/699291p1.html

Tongue

Oh and it got a 8.3 or "Impressive"...not bad at all.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 09:39:40 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Oh and it got a 8.3 or "Impressive"...not bad at all.

Did you read the same review I just did, or did you just look at the number?  biggrin

Basically, the game itself is good, but it doesn't appear to have really made much difference in moving to the 360 over the X-Box.

Looking forward to later this year as the 360 moves away from PSP-syndrome and starts getting more original games, rather than all these dang ports.   :twisted:

Seriously, despite the little sarcastic jab there, I AM looking forward to more 360 exclusives that show a reason for having the console beyond just having ports with facelifts for so many of the early games.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 09:57:59 PM »

Here's a couple more choice quotes from that review:
What does all this amount to? It's yet another Xbox game that's been given a graphical facelift and a few more features, so those who've played Far Cry Instincts (FCI) before might want to steer clear.
It's really too bad the single player content wasn't more enjoyable, otherwise this could have been a much better game. Enemy A.I. borders on stupid. Foes will occasionally run away from you, but most of the time they'll simply stand there, firing as you dart in to claw their faces off. Another sticking point is enemies do not react at all to being shot. If a foe is running forward, you can pump half a clip into them and they won't miss a step. That's pretty weak. This is the Xbox 360, and we're expecting more than Doom II style enemy reactions.

And really for IGN to give something an 8.3 is pretty much the kiss of death from other more reputable review sites.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 10:47:40 PM »

Completely off my list to even consider.  I too am eager for some exclusives.  Hell, I got this new system for some mindboggingly good looking and original games and not spiced up versions of old wore out ones.   Where's my Chromehounds and Gears of War, etc. etc.?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 11:12:18 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
What does all this amount to? It's yet another Xbox game that's been given a graphical facelift and a few more features, so those who've played Far Cry Instincts (FCI) before might want to steer clear.
It's really too bad the single player content wasn't more enjoyable, otherwise this could have been a much better game. Enemy A.I. borders on stupid. Foes will occasionally run away from you, but most of the time they'll simply stand there, firing as you dart in to claw their faces off. Another sticking point is enemies do not react at all to being shot. If a foe is running forward, you can pump half a clip into them and they won't miss a step. That's pretty weak. This is the Xbox 360, and we're expecting more than Doom II style enemy reactions.

And really for IGN to give something an 8.3 is pretty much the kiss of death from other more reputable review sites.

You do remember that they now are using a "tougher" review system, don't you?

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 11:24:43 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Quote from: "warning"

You do remember that they now are using a "tougher" review system, don't you?

So instead of the 8-10 scale they are now using the 7-9 scale?

Tongue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 09:50:54 PM »

Regarding the achievement for finding Dr. Krieger's lost research, has anyone found any on the training level?  Or better yet, has anyone seen a checklist of any kind.  I've heard that there could be more than one on a level, and the achievement says they're on every level.  This is the kind of thing that will kill this game for me and drive me nuts.  I've been all over the training level multiple times and haven't seen anything that looks like it might be "lost research."  I'm a collector nut, and I won't be able to move on until I find these.  Why didn't they at least include a 1/X counter in some menu so I could know how many I had to find.  Aaargh.

Help on at least the first level will save some of my hair.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 09:44:21 PM »

I ended up deciding not to get this game. I agree with the sentiment that I bought the 360 for some new shit, not rehashes and ports. Also, IGN put down the single player portion of the game so that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: