http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 07:42:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Dude, where's my coffin?  (Read 3025 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2007, 09:43:15 PM »

So my 360 died a miserable death on March 13 and I called the 1-800-4MYXBOX number and spoke with a nice lady who assured me that my 360's coffin would be arriving at my home shortly.  So now it's almost two weeks later and I still haven't received my 360's coffin.

I called them back again today and now they are telling me that there was a miscommunication and that there would be no coffin sent to me.  Instead I have to send it to them via UPS.

icon_evil

This sucks.  Don't they send coffins anymore or am I not a member of the privileged elite?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 09:46:23 PM »

Quote from: warning on March 26, 2007, 09:43:15 PM

So my 360 died a miserable death on March 13 and I called the 1-800-4MYXBOX number and spoke with a nice lady who assured me that my 360's coffin would be arriving at my home shortly.  So now it's almost two weeks later and I still haven't received my 360's coffin.

I called them back again today and now they are telling me that there was a miscommunication and that there would be no coffin sent to me.  Instead I have to send it to them via UPS.

icon_evil

This sucks.  Don't they send coffins anymore or am I not a member of the privileged elite?

Ack sorry dude, that completely blows!! Have you been without 360 for two full weeks now? DUDE!

ps. Finish wild arms plz. kthnx.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 09:55:25 PM »

Sorry to hear about that miscommunication/bad rep.  The rep I had was very good and explicitly told me several times that I had to send it in using my own box and choice of shipment.  But they'd cover the return costs, etc.  Took a total of a week for my replacement unit to arrive.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 10:22:45 PM »

Call back, explain the screwup and that you are inconvenienced and ask that they send the Herst for your 360. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 10:40:47 PM »

Awww just dig a hole in the backyard and toss it in there.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 02:09:20 AM »

Well they ain't sending me no coffin.  That's their story and they're sticking to it.

So how do I send this thing?  UPS?  Original box?  Insured?  It pains me to have this $400 paperweight sitting here.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 04:01:22 AM »

I found a box that it would fit in nicely with some padding around it.  I wouldn't send it in the original box as you won't get it back.  Just find a nice fit and stuff it full of padding and send it off insured UPS.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 05:20:40 AM »

yeah i had to get another box just for the console,(no wires)...which wasnt hard as i work in a factory...but they sent the UPS van round to me

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 11:58:47 AM »

Yep. When I sent mine in I just sent it in a like sized box full of peanuts.  They sent it back in a box with some molded padding that held it in place.  I'll be using that if the system dies again.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 01:43:50 PM »

Here's something interesting that just popped into my mind...  As of a few years ago, UPS actually DOES the repairs on Toshiba laptops.  You can read about it here:
http://www.forbes.com/personaltech/2004/04/27/cx_ah_0427ups.html

Basically, you call Toshiba, send your computer via UPS, they take it to the UPS repair center, fix it and ship it back.  Most people never know that UPS fixed their laptop.

I wonder if UPS is doing the repairs for the 360s?  Otherwise, why would MS care how you sent it back?

xbox live: nude rick james
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »

Has there ever been a determination of what is actually failing on the 360? Is there a certain problem component?

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 02:58:43 PM »

I think it's a whole range of things.  My failures have been the DVD drive, graphics processor, and DVD drive.

On the box thing, warning - count yourself lucky.  I think some of the problems with the refurbished units have been due to the coffins MS has been using.  Those boxes have virtually no padding for the console.  Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll use your box to return you a refurb and it won't get destroyed in shipping.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 04:51:31 PM »

Quote from: jament on March 27, 2007, 02:58:43 PM

On the box thing, warning - count yourself lucky.  I think some of the problems with the refurbished units have been due to the coffins MS has been using.  Those boxes have virtually no padding for the console.  Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll use your box to return you a refurb and it won't get destroyed in shipping.

Yeah that makes sense.  I'm going to swaddle that sucker tighter than baby Jesus on Christmas morning.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 05:01:51 PM »

So I sent mine out Saturday via UPS.  Cost me $18.

Now today I see this: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemsetup/xbox360/resources/warrantyupdate.htm

1. New Warranty Enhancements, Including Cost-Free Shipping and Return of Original Console
We recently announced that we changed the Xbox 360 warranty in the United States and Canada from 90 days to one year from the date of purchase.  Now we're adding additional service enhancements, taking Xbox 360 customer service one step further.

Free Shipping:
In the event your console needs to be returned to us for repair your shipping costs are free.  We will immediately send you a postage paid container in which to send us your console, and we will pay for shipping charges to return your console to you.

We are committed to delivering an improved Xbox customer service experience for our Xbox 360 console customers, one that is faster, more efficient and includes shipping free of any charge.  From our customer service representatives to our executive team, the entire Xbox team has made delivering on this commitment a top priority.

Fuckity fuck fuck fuck.  Bastards.
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 05:05:25 PM »

Call them back, tell them they need to reimburse you.  Maybe you can have them throw in a little something, you know, for the effort.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 08:22:50 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 03, 2007, 05:05:25 PM

Call them back, tell them they need to reimburse you.  Maybe you can have them throw in a little something, you know, for the effort.

Damn right!  That is jacked up Paul.  Don't take no for an answer.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 08:52:46 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 03, 2007, 08:22:50 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on April 03, 2007, 05:05:25 PM

Damn right!  That is jacked up Paul.  Don't take no for an answer.
drillsergeant

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 08:54:57 PM »

Quote from: warning on April 03, 2007, 05:01:51 PM

So I sent mine out Saturday via UPS.  Cost me $18.

Now today I see this: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemsetup/xbox360/resources/warrantyupdate.htm

1. New Warranty Enhancements, Including Cost-Free Shipping and Return of Original Console
We recently announced that we changed the Xbox 360 warranty in the United States and Canada from 90 days to one year from the date of purchase.  Now we're adding additional service enhancements, taking Xbox 360 customer service one step further.

Free Shipping:
In the event your console needs to be returned to us for repair your shipping costs are free.  We will immediately send you a postage paid container in which to send us your console, and we will pay for shipping charges to return your console to you.

We are committed to delivering an improved Xbox customer service experience for our Xbox 360 console customers, one that is faster, more efficient and includes shipping free of any charge.  From our customer service representatives to our executive team, the entire Xbox team has made delivering on this commitment a top priority.

Any idea when this was posted?

Cause I paid for my shipping too.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 08:55:20 PM »

I'm getting on the phone to Kazakhstan when I get home from work.

I think it was posted today ATB.  3 days after I paid to ship the bastard.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 01:39:29 AM »

niiiiiiiice!

make-a sure you american box of x come to you best free of charge

yours, borat
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 10:42:42 PM »

I just think it's crazy, the amount of money to pay for repair of an expensive console that I took incredibly good care of.  I finally called RJ at customer support (who was sort of hard to understand), but my card has been charged, and they're sending out a package for me.

It'll be 3-5 days till my box arrives and after I ship it, it will take them 8-10 days to repair the thing and ship it back to me.

Ridiculous.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 01:54:24 PM »

Quote from: warning on April 03, 2007, 08:55:20 PM

So what is the update from DurkaDurkastan?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 03:41:41 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on April 04, 2007, 10:42:42 PM

I just think it's crazy, the amount of money to pay for repair of an expensive console that I took incredibly good care of.  I finally called RJ at customer support (who was sort of hard to understand), but my card has been charged, and they're sending out a package for me.

It'll be 3-5 days till my box arrives and after I ship it, it will take them 8-10 days to repair the thing and ship it back to me.

Ridiculous.

They won't repair yours and ship it back to you - they'll stick some other refurb in the box and ship that to you.  On the upside, the turnaround is faster.  On the downside, there's a chance you'll get someone's shit-machine.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 06:22:46 PM »

Quote from: jament on April 05, 2007, 03:41:41 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on April 04, 2007, 10:42:42 PM

Ridiculous.

They won't repair yours and ship it back to you - they'll stick some other refurb in the box and ship that to you.  On the upside, the turnaround is faster.  On the downside, there's a chance you'll get someone's shit-machine.

And I was told 3-5 days till my box arrives.  And it is now day 6 with no coffin. 

The messed up part is, that if they're sending it out from their Redmond office - I'm less than 10 miles away from them! 

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
warning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 07:33:32 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 05, 2007, 01:54:24 PM

They told me no way, no how.  I asked for a supervisor.  Supervisor told me no way, no how.  It supposedly took effect April 1st and my ticket was opened prior to that.

It gets much worse.

I shipped it out March 31st UPS and it was delivered on April 5th to the Xbox repair center according to UPS tracking.  Yesterday I get a call from Microsoft "just wondering if you've shipped your Xbox 360 back to us".

I freaked out and called them and gave them the tracking number.  The guy on the other end was completely flustered.  "Well I'm sure they were just calling because it... um... maybe it hasn't been processed through our system yet."

Me: "So you are saying you do have my 360?"

Him: "Oh yes.  If the tracking shows it was delivered then we definitely have it here."

Me: "So why was she calling again?"

Him: "Um... I'll need to have somebody call you back on Tuesday once we've tracked down where your 360 is."

What a bunch of astounding idiots.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 08:12:31 PM »

Quote from: warning on April 10, 2007, 07:33:32 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 05, 2007, 01:54:24 PM

They told me no way, no how.  I asked for a supervisor.  Supervisor told me no way, no how.  It supposedly took effect April 1st and my ticket was opened prior to that.

It gets much worse.

I shipped it out March 31st UPS and it was delivered on April 5th to the Xbox repair center according to UPS tracking.  Yesterday I get a call from Microsoft "just wondering if you've shipped your Xbox 360 back to us".

I freaked out and called them and gave them the tracking number.  The guy on the other end was completely flustered.  "Well I'm sure they were just calling because it... um... maybe it hasn't been processed through our system yet."

Me: "So you are saying you do have my 360?"

Him: "Oh yes.  If the tracking shows it was delivered then we definitely have it here."

Me: "So why was she calling again?"

Him: "Um... I'll need to have somebody call you back on Tuesday once we've tracked down where your 360 is."

What a bunch of astounding idiots.

I'd just like to chime in here and say that Gears of War was a blast Friday night.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 08:20:25 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 10, 2007, 08:12:31 PM

I'd just like to chime in here and say that Gears of War was a blast Friday night.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007, 01:04:46 AM »

So I am getting DRE errors now, and I just know that in the next month or so the ole' 360 is about to kick it. So far a respectable 7 months, but I can tell this is the beginning of the end. I have the warranty, but after reading this thread it doesn't look like it was worth the money I spent on it. If it doe it again I think I will just pop the hard-drive out and sell it for parts and wait out a price drop to buy a new one(possibly elite)

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007, 04:04:57 AM »

What's amazing to me is that we tolerate this garbage out of ANY of the companies.    Prior to the PS2 and Xbox, hassle for broken consoles were a rarity.   Now they are apparently made of plastic doo-doo and break when someone so much as looks at them.   Then we have huge costs for repair shoved up our behinds even though we've already dropped 400 to 600 bucks on their shoddy quality machines.   

Gone are the days of the Atari where we literally brushed chips off of it for 10 years and the thing NEVER DID DIE.   Same goes for the NES and SNES.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007, 11:25:13 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on April 13, 2007, 04:04:57 AM

What's amazing to me is that we tolerate this garbage out of ANY of the companies.    Prior to the PS2 and Xbox, hassle for broken consoles were a rarity.   Now they are apparently made of plastic doo-doo and break when someone so much as looks at them.   Then we have huge costs for repair shoved up our behinds even though we've already dropped 400 to 600 bucks on their shoddy quality machines.   

Gone are the days of the Atari where we literally brushed chips off of it for 10 years and the thing NEVER DID DIE.   Same goes for the NES and SNES.

Actually it started with the first Playstation, a lot of folks can regale of the stupid things they had to do to get the early ones to work, things like putting the disc, turning it on and flipping the system over. Sony showed in the last two generations that end product quality wasn't as key as many folks thought, and it double helped them by forcing some folks to have to buy 2 or 3 or even 4 of their systems. I guess MS just saw that with the PS2 and said what the heck! It worked for them!.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2007, 12:31:51 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on April 13, 2007, 11:25:13 AM

Actually it started with the first Playstation, a lot of folks can regale of the stupid things they had to do to get the early ones to work, things like putting the disc, turning it on and flipping the system over. Sony showed in the last two generations that end product quality wasn't as key as many folks thought, and it double helped them by forcing some folks to have to buy 2 or 3 or even 4 of their systems. I guess MS just saw that with the PS2 and said what the heck! It worked for them!.

Right but the difference here is that I and many others have never experienced problems with their consoles before the X360 arrived. I've never had a PS1 or PS2 fail on me or give me errors, I've never had an ATARI, NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, or any hand held fail on me before...

But I've gone through 4 Xbox 360's and I'm on my 5th now in 2 years. The X360 is a piece of shit. Powerful, wondrous, great games to play on it, but it is still a piece of shit. I actually expect to only get 4-6 months out of each unit -which is sad- I acquire now and that is why I bought a 2-year replacement plan with Best Buy.

My PS3 hasn't had a hiccup yet and I don't expect it to ever have problems because so far Sony's tract record with me has been good.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2007, 01:04:41 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on April 13, 2007, 12:31:51 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on April 13, 2007, 11:25:13 AM

Right but the difference here is that I and many others have never experienced problems with their consoles before the X360 arrived. I've never had a PS1 or PS2 fail on me or give me errors, I've never had an ATARI, NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, or any hand held fail on me before...

But I've gone through 4 Xbox 360's and I'm on my 5th now in 2 years. The X360 is a piece of shit. Powerful, wondrous, great games to play on it, but it is still a piece of shit. I actually expect to only get 4-6 months out of each unit -which is sad- I acquire now and that is why I bought a 2-year replacement plan with Best Buy.

My PS3 hasn't had a hiccup yet and I don't expect it to ever have problems because so far Sony's tract record with me has been good.

It is like all electronics.  I went through as many PS2s as I have 360's.  I have had bad runs on TVs and radios in the past as well.  Be glad if you don't have problems, but be prepared that it is likely you will with most consumer electronics.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2007, 01:50:17 PM »

I got an automated call last night that I was going to get a UPS shipment today.  I'm guessing it's my 360.  Of course no one's home all day today to sign for it and UPS doesn't deliver on Saturday so it will be Monday before I can get it back.   icon_neutral
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2007, 02:31:53 PM »

Quote from: warning on April 13, 2007, 01:50:17 PM

I got an automated call last night that I was going to get a UPS shipment today.  I'm guessing it's my 360.  Of course no one's home all day today to sign for it and UPS doesn't deliver on Saturday so it will be Monday before I can get it back.   icon_neutral

How do you go on with such bad luck?
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2007, 02:51:16 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 13, 2007, 02:31:53 PM

How do you go on with such bad luck?

He tried to kill himself by dropping a plugged-in toaster into his bathtub, but the power in his apartment went out right before the toaster hit the water.  icon_frown
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2007, 03:12:10 PM »

Try calling the local UPS depository and telling them you are waiving signature and to drop it off. Failing that simply take your slip to the depot tomorrow and get it.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2007, 11:19:39 PM »

Well my replacement was delivered today.  Glad to have a 360 again though the manufacture date of 2/06 has me a bit worried.  My old one was 8/06...   paranoid
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2007, 11:20:26 PM »

eek!
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2007, 11:36:13 PM »

Quote from: warning on April 16, 2007, 11:19:39 PM

Well my replacement was delivered today.  Glad to have a 360 again though the manufacture date of 2/06 has me a bit worried.  My old one was 8/06...   paranoid

That's almost guaranteed to be a refurb.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2007, 11:57:33 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on April 16, 2007, 11:36:13 PM

Quote from: warning on April 16, 2007, 11:19:39 PM

That's almost guaranteed to be a refurb.

Yeah that freaking sucks. Ridiculous that you return their broke ass console and you get a hastily slapped together glue job of some other tool's broke ass console.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: