http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 08:38:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] DMoMM: Elements - Demo Impressions  (Read 1770 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2007, 07:54:05 PM »

I noticed the Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements demo in the new demos list on XBL and downloaded it. I have to say that I liked the 360 demo more than the PC game.  I haven't downloaded many 360 demos where I really wanted to keep playing after it concluded. I particularly liked the control interface which made good and logical use of the buttons. And I really liked the user assignments on the d-pad; nice that you can toggle a 2nd series of d-pad assignments for a total of 8.

Graphics in a game take 2nd seat to gameplay for me, but that being said the graphics are a bit dated compared to some of the newer X360 games. Even HL2 in The Orange Box which is the same Source game engine looks better. The visual style is quite nice though with some nice effects and lots of gore. The sounds also quite good, but unfortunately the voice of the narrator in the demo isn't so good and it becomes a bit grating. I didn't try out the mplay demo yet, but apparently there's online team play.  slywink

This game probably won't be a day 1 purchase for me, but I can definitely see myself eventually picking it up.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 07:56:40 PM »

the demo doesn't even have an invert Y-axis option...automatic delete and no-buy for that
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 08:07:25 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on December 24, 2007, 07:56:40 PM

the demo doesn't even have an invert Y-axis option...automatic delete and no-buy for that

LOL you're as bad as me with no standard transmission in racing games; no gear shift=instant delete. smile  I wasn't bothered by the Y axis as it's configured in the way I prefer; push forward=looks up, pull back=look down. In fact I'm surprised you don't like the Y axis the way it is, do you by chance have a background with flight sims?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 08:13:01 PM by kronovan » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »

I liked this game a lot, too.  For mostly the same reasons you mentioned.

Graphics aren't the best, but are fine.  Movement's a little floatier than I usually like, but it works fine.

Unless they screw this up, I'll probably be IN.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »

it definitely did i played the demo inverted - er, with inverted controls that is

i really didnt like it - felt like a linear oblivion with sluggish controls. 

and wow this was BETTER than the pc version?  i remember when m&m was one of THE seminal pc rpgs (six and seven anyone???).  how the mighty have fallen if the demo i played was better than the pc
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 09:10:28 PM »

not sure if this will end up looking/playing any better than the pc version, but that one was fun enough.  if you haven't played it, i'd recommend grabbing it. 

it looks pretty good, but i'm not sure if it's better/worse than the pc.  controls are good, but it does feel a bit floaty.  the demo for this is much better than the pc demo, and from what i can tell, it's a different level entirely. 

i'd put this as a good rental unless you take a liking to the mp.  i never tried it on the pc, so i can't tell you much about it.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 10:01:50 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on December 24, 2007, 08:49:00 PM

and wow this was BETTER than the pc version?  i remember when m&m was one of THE seminal pc rpgs (six and seven anyone???).  how the mighty have fallen if the demo i played was better than the pc

The PC version of DMoMM shipped with a number of bugs and IIRC the online mplay was more or less broken. I tried the PC demo and game on a friends rig around it's release and held off getting it until a number of patches had been released and it only cost $10. As I mentioned I haven't tried the online play yet for the 360 version, but the SP demo feels a bit more fluid than the PC version.
In regards to comparing it to the earlier M&M games, IMO there really was no comparison; the earlier games were much better.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 11:33:22 PM »

very suprised at the demo,because i liked it.....perhaps a poor mans Oblivion but still a pretty good game

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 12:05:17 AM »

did they nerf 'kick'?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 12:49:15 AM »

The demo was pretty interesting.  One thing, though, is that it made me a little motion sick, which games don't normally do.  I liked a lot of the mechanics in the game like being able to kick monsters into spikes or using the rope bow to cross the ravine.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 12:49:57 AM »

I forgot about this-would like to download it and see what its like even though I have the PC version and never played it.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 12:50:17 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 25, 2007, 12:05:17 AM

did they nerf 'kick'?

Nope you can do an uber kick by pulling both triggers. In fact you can do some strategic kicking in the demo.  icon_wink
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 05:05:34 AM »

Despite the fact that it has "Might & Magic" in the name, this isn't an RPG.  It's a first-person action game, although you can select your character's skills.  It's a pretty simple, linear game, but it's a lot of fun and the myriad ways in which you can dispatch your enemies make it fun all the way through.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2007, 05:06:48 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on December 24, 2007, 08:49:00 PM

I haven't played the 360 demo yet but, from what I've read elsewhere, it sounds like the 360 version is a step back in almost every area from the PC version, contrary to what the devs were saying. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 05:08:12 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 25, 2007, 05:05:34 AM

Despite the fact that it has "Might & Magic" in the name, this isn't an RPG.  It's a first-person action game, although you can select your character's skills.  It's a pretty simple, linear game, but it's a lot of fun and the myriad ways in which you can dispatch your enemies make it fun all the way through.

From what I've read they've heavily nerfed the skill system in the 360 version- I think you can no longer choose where to allocate individual skill points. 

I agree with your assessment of the PC version though- it's a lot of fun with some really cool setpieces.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2007, 03:29:45 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 25, 2007, 05:08:12 AM

From what I've read they've heavily nerfed the skill system in the 360 version- I think you can no longer choose where to allocate individual skill points. 

So...if you can't choose your own skills, the game just diverges down to McKick Kick and his Kicking Adventures. At least that's how the PC game felt like to me, and I could choose my own skills for a (somewhat) differing playthrough each time.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2007, 03:34:01 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 25, 2007, 03:29:45 PM

So...if you can't choose your own skills, the game just diverges down to McKick Kick and his Kicking Adventures. At least that's how the PC game felt like to me, and I could choose my own skills for a (somewhat) differing playthrough each time.

Someone who has actually played the demo can probably explain better but, as I understand it, you just choose one of the three paths to follow so there is still some degree of customization but not nearly to the extent of the PC game.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2007, 05:46:02 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 25, 2007, 05:05:34 AM

I agree with your assessment of the PC version though- it's a lot of fun with some really cool setpieces.

THanks for the info Kevin, I won't bother-I have the PC version installed in Steam.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2007, 01:53:08 AM »

It's odd that they removed the ability to choose your own skills.  It's not like it was complicated.  There weren't that many skills to begin with, I don't think you could create an unviable character.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 06:47:44 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 26, 2007, 01:53:08 AM

It's odd that they removed the ability to choose your own skills.  It's not like it was complicated.  There weren't that many skills to begin with, I don't think you could create an unviable character.

I agree about the DMoMM PC skill system being quite simple. Is it a for sure that it's been removed from the final game, or is it possibly just missing from the demo?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2007, 07:15:28 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 26, 2007, 06:47:44 PM

Quote from: EddieA on December 26, 2007, 01:53:08 AM

I agree about the DMoMM PC skill system being quite simple. Is it a for sure that it's been removed from the final game, or is it possibly just missing from the demo?

wow.  if that's the case, it makes for a really stupid simple action game.  at least with the pc, you wouldn't be able to get maxed skills in everything and were forced to choose how you made your character.  it made it somewhat more enjoyable than just slowly advancing up in abilities.  oh well, this was a solid rental anyways. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 03:38:56 PM »

I finally got around to trying this demo out last night and guess what - it was fun!  It really had that "adventuring feel" and the combat was a blast.  I love how you can kick opponents away or knock them down which gives you the few precious seconds to establish your defense or your next power attack or something. 

I had a cool moment in the demo where I was cornered in a small room with about a half dozen decaying undead shambling after me.  There were these spiked racks on the walls and I was able to kick some of the undead into them that actually impaled them giving me time to deal with the others.  I thought it was also cool how you have to impale the undead with your weapon once you knocked them down to truly finish them off else they get up and come after you again.

After I finished the demo it said it was coming out January 10th!  Alas, my disappointment was evident when I found out it won't be arriving until early next month.  I can't stop thinking about how much fun I had with this demo. 

Day 1 purchase for me.

Oh yeah, I played inverted as well (up is down & down is up), which is how I prefer it.  It was the default for me.  I believe it might be because my global setting in the 360 dashboard for joystick control is set to inverted.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 04:10:25 PM »

Color us all shocked you love a bad game.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 04:19:37 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 10, 2008, 04:10:25 PM

Who said this is a bad game Rage, uh Calvin?  It's averaging 75% for the PC and 88% for the 360 on Gamerankings and it has not even come out yet for the 360!  Besides, I couldn't care less about reviews anyway.  Like I said a billion times before I buy and play what is fun to me.

XM Channel 76
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 04:25:22 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on January 10, 2008, 04:19:37 PM

Who said this is a bad game Rage, uh Calvin?  It's averaging 75% for the PC and 88% for the 360 on Gamerankings and it has not even come out yet for the 360!  Besides, I couldn't care less about reviews anyway.  Like I said a billion times before I buy and play what is fun to me.

Ok, lets get over something here. "Accidentally" calling me by a forum handle I haven't used in two years is not funny and it does nothing to prove your point. You are infatuated with a fictional video game character from possibly the worst 360 game released last year. this game, while averaging 75% on the PC, is from all evidence, a complete simplification and dumbing down of the experience on the 360 (perhaps you should read the impressions above). My guessing that this will turn out to be a bad game are grounded in the previews I have read and the evidence I have seen. Your predeliction of finding the best from mediocrity does nothing to change the fact that most discerning gamers will indeed think that this game is bad.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 04:29:17 PM by Calvin » Logged
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 04:40:31 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 10, 2008, 04:25:22 PM

Ok, lets get over something here. "Accidentally" calling me by a forum handle I haven't used in two years is not funny and it does nothing to prove your point. You are infatuated with a fictional video game character from possibly the worst 360 game released last year. this game, while averaging 75% on the PC, is from all evidence, a complete simplification and dumbing down of the experience on the 360 (perhaps you should read the impressions above). My guessing that this will turn out to be a bad game are grounded in the previews I have read and the evidence I have seen. Your predeliction of finding the best from mediocrity does nothing to change the fact that most discerning gamers will indeed think that this game is bad.

Ok.  Thanks.

XM Channel 76
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 05:09:30 PM »

Actually, I kinda like it too  paranoid banned

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 05:24:26 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 10, 2008, 05:09:30 PM

Now you are just trying to cause trouble  ninja
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 05:26:27 PM »

I may give the 360 version a spin.  I loved the PC version but it didn't want to run right under Vista when I tried installing it over the weekend, so maybe this can give me my fix.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 05:39:38 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 10, 2008, 05:24:26 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 10, 2008, 05:09:30 PM

Now you are just trying to cause trouble  ninja

Sorry, Calvin, I liked the demo also.  Certainly more than Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom.  I think I'll be getting it soon after release.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2008, 05:44:20 PM »

Ok fine!! Maybe...MAYBE...POSSIBLY...I might have condemned it too quickly, ok? Fine? Maybe. We will see.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2008, 06:53:21 PM »

I feel vindicated! 

Thank god because I've been crying in Alicia's arms all morning.  ninja

icon_wink

XM Channel 76
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2008, 07:02:50 PM »

I received word that the SDF (Shifty Defense Force) was needed in this thread.

I got here as soon as I could but everything seems to be back in order.

Carry on.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 07:28:41 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2008, 01:51:09 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 10, 2008, 07:02:50 PM

I received word that the SDF (Shitty Defense Force) was needed in this thread.

I got here as soon as I could but everything seems to be back in order.

Carry on.

ninja

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: