http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 05:22:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (360) Deadly Premonition  (Read 3889 times)
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 05:04:30 PM »

I really don't know what to make of this game.  I've never seen anything like it: the voice acting sounds pretty passable, yet the character models are overacting in every scene.  They're constantly reacting to mundane events by striking dramatic poses and making crazy facial expressions, like they're wrestling with some bizarre internal monologue that never quite passes their lips. saywhat

-Autistic Angel
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2010, 02:51:32 PM »

Bought it Friday at a gamestop on my way home due to the number of folks proclaiming this to be a hidden gem for horror fans.  I was disappointed at first as the graphics are pretty bad and the story doesn't leap off the screen and grab you from the start.

...then I got to the very serious discussion the main protagonist was having with his imaginary friend about a codependent relationship based on a foundation of sadomasochism...

...and realized they were talking about the cartoon Tom and Jerry. 

At that point, I realized i had a keeper.

icon_lol

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2010, 02:55:07 PM »

unless there is some major revelation later on in the game I'm pretty sure that Zach the imaginary friend is you.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2010, 04:03:50 PM »

Can someone who has the game comment on Brad Shoemaker's mesmerizing display of terribleness?  At first I thought I was going to wind up skipping the Brad & Ryan episodes of Endurance Run, but Brad's dogged insistence on shooting zombies in the butt, not reloading, and taking more damage than he dishes out is proving to be oddly compelling.

The best moment so far came at about 2:45 into Episode BR-05.

Quote from: Brad Shoemaker & Ryan Davis

Brad: Oh God!

Ryan: Oh, that guy's got a shotgun too.  Okay!

Brad: Oh.

Ryan: They've all got shotguns.  Alright, we'll....

Brad runs into a corner and turns around.  The zombie right in front of him s-l-o-w-l-y lifts a shotgun and starts taking aim.

Ryan: Shoot him.  Shoot him.  Shoot him!  Shoot Him!

Brad waits patiently while the zombie lines up and shoots him square in the chest.

Brad: Oh!

Ryan: I don't know why you decided to not shoot him!  Goddammit, Brad!  He was pointing a shotgun at you!

Brad: I was trying to figure out why it was purple.

Ryan: Because he was about to shoot it at you!

Brad: Oh, right.  Okay.

-Autistic Angel
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2010, 09:06:46 PM »

I have a friend who died five times during the opening tutorial to Escape from Butcher Bay.  The on-screen instruction was, "Press X behind Johns to snap his neck," and I watched as he got increasingly frustrated that doing every other possible thing -- grabbing a weapon, jumping off a cliff, getting shot by the automated guns, smacking Johns in the face, and jumping off a cliff again -- turned out poorly.  He insists to this day that he couldn't figure out what he was supposed to do.

The jaw-dropping bewilderment I felt on that afternoon is exactly the way I feel every single time Brad Shoemaker draws his weapon in Deadly Premonition.  I genuinely cannot believe that a professional game journalist can be so stymied by elementary game mechanics.

-Autistic Angel
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2010, 06:08:17 AM »

I watched a few episodes of their endurance runs, they're pretty hilarious  icon_lol

I HEART Giantbomb.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2010, 03:05:30 PM »

so, has anyone actually finished this game?  I've been so wrapped up in a few others I totally forgot I had this until last night when I was looking through my 360 games.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2010, 07:21:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 27, 2010, 03:05:30 PM

so, has anyone actually finished this game?  I've been so wrapped up in a few others I totally forgot I had this until last night when I was looking through my 360 games.

Nope, I'm going to start it up again once I finish RoF. I got a nice back log that's so fucking bad right now. Is it fall? Well it is 44 outside, so I guess it could be.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2010, 07:50:10 PM »

I've had it for weeks and haven't even come close to starting.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2010, 08:39:39 PM »

Finished?  Haven't started yet. Backlog when I got it and darksiders. I've also been front loading my backlog and have a few other games I haven't touched yet. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2010, 01:47:26 PM »

Put about 8 hours into this game over the weekend and I'm having a blast.  This isn't a "so bad it's good game" at all- it's a legitimately good game about six years after it's prime in terms of controls and presentation.  But for all of the clunkiness of various parts (much of which you get used to) there is so much that is absolutely brilliant as well.

I've always wanted an open world adventure game that focused on simulating a relatively small area extremely well (Gabriel Knight 3 came close) and this game fits that perfectly.   
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2010, 08:21:39 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 10, 2010, 01:47:26 PM

Put about 8 hours into this game over the weekend and I'm having a blast.  This isn't a "so bad it's good game" at all- it's a legitimately good game about six years after it's prime in terms of controls and presentation.  But for all of the clunkiness of various parts (much of which you get used to) there is so much that is absolutely brilliant as well.

I've always wanted an open world adventure game that focused on simulating a relatively small area extremely well (Gabriel Knight 3 came close) and this game fits that perfectly.   

I agree that the game was very satisfying. As I alluded to earlier in the thread, had Deadly Premonition come out on schedule 5 years ago, we would all be raving about it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2010, 08:32:57 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on May 10, 2010, 08:21:39 PM

I agree that the game was very satisfying. As I alluded to earlier in the thread, had Deadly Premonition come out on schedule 5 years ago, we would all be raving about it.

Yep. Basically it feels like a game that was completed in 2001 or 2002 and then the publisher lost funding so they put it in a safe for almost a decade.  Then they took the game out of the of the safe, altered it to run at 720p instead of 480i and shipped it. 

By the standards of 2002 it would be very good to excellent and I think someone's reaction to the game today largely depends on how well they can tolerate older games.  Since I frequently play games from previous generations I have no issue just imagining it as a PS2 game and just dealing with things from there. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2010, 04:09:36 AM »

Just finished.  Took me about 36 hours (I did 82% of the sidequests).  Man, that ending....

MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS.
Spoiler for Hiden:
  Ugh, the site of Emily with a tree coming out of her midsection is quite frankly one of the most disturbing things I've seen in a game.  Really sad ending since I really liked her character a lot though I liked the sense of closure in the "heaven" sequence with her and York at the end.

Wow, what a game.  I loved it.  It certainly has its issues but the vast majority of them have built in workarounds.  I just loved the town of Greenvale and its residents and I'm very sorry to be leaving them behind. 

This game was a steal for the $15 I paid. 
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2010, 05:01:07 PM »

I've been enjoying Giant Bomb's Endurance Runs so much that I threw together a montage of some of my favorite (spoiler-free!) moments from the first six episodes.

I don't know how much fun I would have playing Deadly Premonition, but it's been a blast watching Brad Shoemaker do it. icon_cool

-Autistic Angel
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2010, 07:27:43 PM »

Sometimes they just really annoy me though, other times it's absolutely hilarious. Looks like Brad finally figured out the efficient way to kill the wall crawlers, he still sucks at combat though.  slywink
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2010, 01:51:47 PM »

Cool electric guitar version of Life is Beautiful.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2010, 03:47:42 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 22, 2010, 07:27:43 PM

Sometimes they just really annoy me though, other times it's absolutely hilarious. Looks like Brad finally figured out the efficient way to kill the wall crawlers, he still sucks at combat though.  slywink

Did he finally get the flame thrower? 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2010, 04:58:31 PM »

Nope. Still rolling with the infinite submachinegun, they did just pickup the magnum though.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2010, 05:01:56 PM »

Oh man then it still must take them forever.  Do they have the infinite magnum or the regular one?  If it's the former then they are only one step from the flame thrower.  Unfortunately I missed out on the infinite magnum in my playthrough.  I turned in the bones too early. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2010, 05:14:11 PM »

They bought a normal magnum from the store, they're currently at:
Spoiler for Hiden:
They're in the dark version of Galaxy of Terror
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2010, 05:16:30 PM »

Ah, so they should be done relatively soon.  It's pretty much a straight shot to the end from there. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2012, 08:34:45 AM »

looks like this is being remastered on the PS3 with Move support. 

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2012, 02:28:24 PM »

I will purchase this on day one and will play it to the end this time, I swear.  I still point friends to youtube videos of this game for the laughs.  it is quite possibly both the greatest and worst game ever made.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2012, 07:27:51 PM »

i really wanted to play and like this game, but the first time i stepped behind the wheel of a car i groaned, took it out and never looked back.  however there was enough there to convince me a lot of people would probably play and enjoy it with a bit more polish, which it sounds like its going to get.

i like games where the player has to do the mundane day to day stuff while also engaging in these over the top adventures - its like playing a movie without the director cutting everything that isnt an action or plot advancement scene
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2012, 08:51:48 PM »

The allure of Deadly Premonition is not found in the gameplay, but in the story itself.  It really is a hilarious game of just immense absurdity.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2012, 10:51:58 PM »

I stopped playing it when i heard they were doing an updated version...so now its PS3 only??  icon_frown

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2012, 05:54:46 AM »

the original still sits on my backlog shelf (otherwise known as the shelf of shame) and mocks me whenever I go to grab something else.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2012, 02:12:29 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 13, 2012, 05:54:46 AM

the original still sits on my backlog shelf (otherwise known as the shelf of shame) and mocks me whenever I go to grab something else.

This is me, too.  Except I've still played into town the first time.

I'll certainly wait for the PS3 version now.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2013, 03:40:34 PM »

might as well add PC (hopefully) to the title.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2013, 10:17:29 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 18, 2013, 03:40:34 PM

might as well add PC (hopefully) to the title.

and it's been Greenlit!

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: