http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 11:37:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC] State of Decay (formerly Class3)  (Read 6214 times)
siege
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2013, 08:53:25 PM »

There's over 65k people on the leader boards so far. Not too shabby for its first day of release. My son and I have been taking turns playing it all day. Awesome game.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2013, 09:47:43 PM »

played the trial and liked it enough to buy the full version.  the game looks better than I expected it too, but then again I had lowered expectations from reviews and impressions.  combat seems fairly easy so far; I rushed a search to see what would happen and didn't have any trouble with the zombie horde that appeared out of thin air.

a couple of questions (may be overlooks on my part):

I cannot find a way to trade items between characters.  do you just have to find a storage location, store the gear, switch characters and take the gear?

I do not think I've ever seen the autosave icon flash on the screen.  I'm assuming the game saves after completing a mission, but does it do so for other occasions?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2013, 10:20:36 PM »

I also couldn't figure out if there's a way to trade items directly.  As for autosave, I've seen the symbol pop up.  Bottom right corner, I believe.  It seemed to be autosaving during relatively small events, so I don't think it's tied to mission completion. 

Is there a way to manually trigger a save?

And impressions?  Game seems awesome so far.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2013, 01:28:07 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 05, 2013, 03:11:26 PM

So far so good after 2 hours played. A good purchase for zombie freaks.

*spawns exploding zombies and walks away whistling*

Pikachu, I Blame you!
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2013, 01:29:38 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on June 06, 2013, 01:28:07 AM

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 05, 2013, 03:11:26 PM

So far so good after 2 hours played. A good purchase for zombie freaks.

*spawns exploding zombies and walks away whistling*

Zombie U will never be traded in, so I can can get a rematch with you!!!!

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2013, 02:46:20 AM »

well son of a... just fired up the game and the only option it is giving me is to start a new game.  no continue or anything.  checked my 360's HD and the save file is there.  the only thing I can guess that may have affected it was that I upgraded to the full game after playing the trial.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2013, 03:19:02 AM »

Anyone know how to sleep in the game? My character is tired and has lost some stamina but can't get in any of the beds.

So far loving the game though. Scavaging at night is tense, especially when you see "infestation" and "zombie hoard" on the mini-maps close by. Controls are not as terrible as I thought and the game looks pretty decent. Just how to do some things in the game are a bit unclear.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2013, 04:07:34 AM »

I'm debating whether to get this only because I have Last of Us on preorder for next week.

Can I stand getting two zombie games in one week?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2013, 05:16:24 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on June 06, 2013, 03:19:02 AM

Anyone know how to sleep in the game? My character is tired and has lost some stamina but can't get in any of the beds.

I'm not sure, I think you're just supposed to switch to another character for a while and the resting happens behind the scenes.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2013, 05:22:24 AM »

Well, I was able to play for a while but the game locked up on me when I was returning to the church with another survivor.  Hopefully it autosaved not long before that.

I'm not a fan of how the zombies become super adept at seeing in the dark.  It also sucks that they apparently spawn zombies by you on certain missions, so even if you're careful to get to a house undetected, it still gets overrun when you get inside.  Joy.  

The game will definitely look better on the PC whenever that happens.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2013, 05:22:59 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 06, 2013, 05:16:24 AM

Quote from: Crawley on June 06, 2013, 03:19:02 AM

I'm not sure, I think you're just supposed to switch to another character for a while and the resting happens behind the scenes.

Yeah, I saw a tip that said characters will rest up when you switch away.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2013, 05:43:55 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 06, 2013, 05:22:24 AM

It also sucks that they apparently spawn zombies by you on certain missions, so even if you're careful to get to a house undetected, it still gets overrun when you get inside.  Joy.

That's disappointing. Scripted stuff like that seems so contrary to the emergent gameplay I thought they wanted us to experience.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2013, 06:21:22 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 06, 2013, 05:43:55 AM

It also sucks that they apparently spawn zombies by you on certain missions, so even if you're careful to get to a house undetected, it still gets overrun when you get inside.  Joy.

That's disappointing. Scripted stuff like that seems so contrary to the emergent gameplay I thought they wanted us to experience.

Yeah, I can't say for sure, but it sure felt like it.  I rescued a survivor in a house that had no zombies near it when I entered, and after she said "watch the perimeter" it was swarming with them.  I was pretty disappointed.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2013, 06:22:05 AM »

It also sucks that they apparently spawn zombies by you on certain missions, so even if you're careful to get to a house undetected, it still gets overrun when you get inside.  Joy.

I've seen very, very little of scripted stuff, and I've played what...10 hours by now?

One annoying thing is, that I read somewhere else that the game continues when you aren't playing, meaning that morale will drop over time you are away from the game. If that is true, then its bullshit.

I just got a new base myself, and have way too many infestations around me right now. I have to say, you guys who have no difficulty handling a horde on your own when surprised - What kind of weapons do you use? I mean, you run out of stamina, your weapon can only hit one, maybe two zombies at a time, and hordes have around 10 of them?

Edit: Also, the other types of zombies are bastards!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 06:36:46 AM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
siege

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2013, 10:47:32 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 06, 2013, 06:22:05 AM

I've seen very, very little of scripted stuff, and I've played what...10 hours by now?

One annoying thing is, that I read somewhere else that the game co

ntinues when you aren't playing, meaning that morale ill drop over time you are away from the game. If that is true, then its bullshit.

I just got a new base myself, and have way too many infestations around me right now. I have to say, you guys who have no difficulty handling a horde on your own when surprised - What kind of weapons do you use? I mean, you run out of stamina, your weapon can only hit one, maybe two zombies at a time, and hordes have around 10 of them?

Edit: Also, the other types of zombies are bastards!

I typically pop a snack and sprint some distance away to lay the fire bomb traps. Those usually decimate hordes with maybe a few stragglers left to clean up.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2013, 10:50:15 AM »

oh...! So, basically, use the tools given, instead of just whacking them? Thats a pretty good idea - thanks!!

I have to say, I really, really, like this game. I want the developers to add more to it, expand it, instead of their stupid MMO idea. It's already head and shoulders above War Z which I stupidly bought into of course, so there is that.

A new one
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2013, 11:02:38 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 06, 2013, 10:50:15 AM

oh...! So, basically, use the tools given, instead of just whacking them? Thats a pretty good idea - thanks!!

I have to say, I really, really, like this game. I want the developers to add more to it, expand it, instead of their stupid MMO idea. It's already head and shoulders above War Z which I stupidly bought into of course, so there is that.

I'm not listening!!!!!!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2013, 02:01:13 PM »

been noticing zombies like to get stuck in walls a lot, and sometimes seem to be able to walk through them.  hopefully that ability is patched out soon.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2013, 02:15:45 PM »

I'm feeling a bit of open world indecisiveness with this game.  Normally I do great with setting my own goals and making my own fun happen in open world games, but with this I keep finding myself at a loss of what to do next.  I think they need to do a better job up front explaining all the things you can do, and what's needed to keep your home base humming.

I also find myself yearning for an expanded strategic layer.  It would be awesome to be able to manage assigning survivors shifts for watch duty, perimeter defense, exploration missions, etc.  Then instead of just being told "you have 10 survivors and 8 beds so they won't be rested" I would actually see the problems of people finding a place to rest during their off shifts. 

That's the stuff I'd love to see them focus on for Class4 instead of MMOish Day Z stuff.

But still, I'm really digging the game for what it is.  I think I'll designate this playthrough as an extended tutorial, and the "real life zombie scenario where everyone dies" playthrough.  My next playthrough will be the "heroic action zombie movie wherein the hero saves the world" playthrough.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2013, 06:38:58 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 05, 2013, 02:06:13 PM

Argh...I wish there was a set date for the PC release.  I prefer PC for games like this, but I'm impatient!   icon_biggrin
Same here. If I knew the game was coming out in a month, I'd wait... but I think i may be stuck buying it on Xbox now and again on PC later...
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2013, 02:39:46 AM »

Broke down and got it for the 360 after all.   ninja

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2013, 03:39:56 AM »

Another good day of scavenging although its getting a lot more deadlier. The zombie hoards are pretty prevalent now where they're really damaging my cars when I go out. Did a few more missions including one where I had to prepare a house for zombie invasion. I got plenty of food and medicine for my stronghold but I'm having a difficult time finding materials. But did have enough to build a workshop.

Haven't lost anyone yet but it seems like each time I go out on a mission or two I have to switch to my other character. I did find when you switch characters that other character does rest and heal - although slowly.

Seeing and taking on different zombie types now. The game seems to ramp up pretty quickly. Great stuff though. Having a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 05:04:07 PM by Crawley » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2013, 06:42:26 AM »

The more I play of this game the more I love it.  It's totally janky with collision and stuff, but very cool despite that.

I have lost two characters already, both of them to the same event.  frown  I went back with Genesis to try and recover Maya's belongings, and then got suckered into the same "save Doc" mission.  Those giant fat buggers are just too strong for me, and once they pick you up, it's game over as you get ripped in half. 

I am having a bit of a problem with too many missions, as well.  I'm really starting to lose quite a few of them because I never get to them.  Are you guys having that same problem?  It seems like there are several open at any one time, and not enough time to do even close to everything as well as scavenge, take out infestations, etc.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2013, 07:27:18 AM »

Yeah, there's a LOT to do and it will never let the pace down. I think its a lot about time management, something I normally don't like, but I like the pressure here. Usually, I have 3-4 things to do, rescue a survivor, build something, clear out infestations (They are working on reducing the TOO MANY INFESTATIONS thing), and some story missions,  and at times a danger mission (Hunt zed of some sort). Thats on top of the need to get new materials, food, gear and what have we.

As far as I can tell, story missions don't expire so I usually leave those to I have to spare. The rescue missions I do when I can, because otherwise I might lose a survivor! What I do then, is take the time to use my survivor BEFORE I go back with him to clear out an infestation, and of course grab some materials of some sort to carry home. I feel that lessens the pressure a bit, and the game pretty much lets you do things the way you want.

Whats the best location people have found? I have a truck depot, which is VERY nice, but I would love some fortified villa if possible as well somewhere.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2013, 11:26:11 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 07, 2013, 06:42:26 AM

I am having a bit of a problem with too many missions, as well.  I'm really starting to lose quite a few of them because I never get to them.  Are you guys having that same problem?  It seems like there are several open at any one time, and not enough time to do even close to everything as well as scavenge, take out infestations, etc.

I think that may be intentional, to make it more tense and make your choices matter more.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2013, 12:46:44 PM »

A bunch of great combat tips here.

I didn't know about half of those commands you could do, let alone the best way to use them.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2013, 04:01:16 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 07, 2013, 02:39:46 AM

Broke down and got it for the 360 after all.   ninja

Same here...
Mixed feelings so far....
I do like the game, but there are things i don't like.
1) I feel the difficulty ramps up way too quickly..
2) I don't like all those missions popping up at once..even if it is supposed to heighten tension.
3) I REALLY don't like the way zombies spawn. There have been several times where an area is clear (and with a good long clear line of sight), then 10 seconds later I turn around and bang a zombie teleported in...I see this as the game cheating and I for one think that spawning should be banned in all games.... If anything, spawn way outside the players area and make everything walk in.

Also, I don't understand safe areas.. Are they supposed to be totally safe or just partially safe? Because I've seen zombies in safe areas and been attacked in them...
I really like the whole game concept, but the difficulty is just bothering me.. especially with permadeath.. while it does make me invested in my characters, it is also frustrating to lose all the progress you made..
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2013, 04:30:16 PM »

Sweet, the first patch has gone out for certification already.

Bug fixes:

•Workshop now repairs weapons and vehicles at game dawn rather than the next real-world day.

•Reduced cooldown times of commands in the Radio Menu, notably Words of Encouragement, Words of Inspiration, and Medical Advice.

•NPCs no longer get stuck behind the counter or on the stairs at the gun shop in Spencer's Mill.

•The "Too many infestations!" event will now only occur when there are too many infestations within 500m of your Home, rather than anywhere in the world.

•The "Too many infestations" to-do item is now cleared when there are fewer than three infestations within 500m of your Home, rather than anywhere in the world.

•You must now be close to the ranger station for the Memento mission scene to play. Previously you would be teleported to the station if you left before the end of the mission.

•Community members will properly interact with Facilities in your home. Previously they would stop after a period of time.

•Feral zombie now properly dodges vehicles approaching at an angle.

•NPCs will now reliably reach warehouse between Mt. Tanner and Spencer's Mill when called to gather supplies.

•You can now punch out through the windshield of a vehicle if both doors are blocked.

•Zombies and NPCs no longer get stuck behind the grocery store in Marshall.

•NPCs now properly move to the proper location during cinematic scenes.

•Zombies no longer fall through floor in the Marshall courthouse.

•Zombies can no longer get under porch or floor at the Wilkerson's farmhouse.

•Fixed a few rare crash bugs.

•Fixed various translations bugs.

I'll probably just dick around in my current game until the patch hits and then start fresh.  That infestation bug has really discouraged me from playing.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »

Well, I completed the game, and I'll wait a bit for bugfixes, perhaps a few extra additions before diving back in, but it was the best 20 dollars I ever spent on a game - so much fun!

If there is anything wrong with the game, its that the game has too few event types and after 10 hours it gets a bit repetitive to go out and collect a survivor again...

I did notice on the leaderboard that all you slackers I'm on friendlist with, are WAY behind me so get cracking ;-)

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2013, 05:45:29 PM »

so, are snacks and painkillers supposed to disappear when you continue your game?  had a bunch in both Marcus and Maya's inventory from the campground but when I went back to play the items were gone.  granted my save game was still there, which was a big step up from my first time playing.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »

They may have used them in the meantime, actually.

A new one
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2013, 07:32:23 PM »

I don't understand why the snacks would disappear from the supply when there are already other food resources that are consumed per day that you don't have access to. 

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2013, 01:42:50 AM »

Just in case nobody noticed... Your firebombs and whatnot do not seem to hurt friendlies...
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2013, 03:13:47 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on June 08, 2013, 01:42:50 AM

Just in case nobody noticed... Your firebombs and whatnot do not seem to hurt friendlies...

I had one mission where a bunch of zombies were attacking a fortified house. A bunch of zombies were at the front door trying to get in. And one of the windows near the door one of the NPCs was trying to board up the window. I hopped out a window on the porch and threw a molotav cocktail at that group which burned them up pretty good. But I also got a text warning message that I had injured the NPC and their "trust" had went down.

So I haven't tried using fire attacks with any of the NPCs at my camp when I bring them on missions.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2013, 07:30:54 AM »

GameInformer

State Of Decay Sells More Than 250,000 Copies In 48 Hours On Xbox Live

State of Decay, the very recently released Xbox LIve Arcade title, is the second fastest selling Arcade title in the service's history, behind only Minecraft.

The game released on Wednesday June 5, and according to developer Undead Labs' blog, the game has already sold more than a quarter of a million copies. The studio extended a heartfelt thank you to its fans saying, "This was you. We did not have an ad budget. We didn’t have a physical copy to load onto shelves, no worldwide multimedia push, no studio reputation with millions of followers. All we had was what we believed was a great game and a great community. And make no mistake, a solid game is not enough, not in 2013. Plenty of great games wither away in obscurity. This train got rolling because you got out and pushed."

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2013, 09:37:50 AM »

On my second playthrough I just quit in disgust, when the mission went ON, and ON, and ON and never freaking ended. The game must have forgotten how to end the game, and eventually we got overrun by zombies and juggernauts... Its annoying because its a story mission that I can't skip.

A new one
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2013, 02:54:11 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on June 08, 2013, 03:13:47 AM

Quote from: Punisher on June 08, 2013, 01:42:50 AM

I had one mission where a bunch of zombies were attacking a fortified house. A bunch of zombies were at the front door trying to get in. And one of the windows near the door one of the NPCs was trying to board up the window. I hopped out a window on the porch and threw a molotav cocktail at that group which burned them up pretty good. But I also got a text warning message that I had injured the NPC and their "trust" had went down.

So I haven't tried using fire attacks with any of the NPCs at my camp when I bring them on missions.
The mission I found out about this looked like a random encounter where I stumbled upon one of my survivors gathering from an outpost. I accidentally threw a cocktail instead of eating a snack and it killed all the zombies, but I don't remember seeing any warning..(and it was that or let him go because there were 2 hordes on him..) maybe I missed the warning, or maybe it only happens when you are "grouped"?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2013, 04:06:50 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 08, 2013, 09:37:50 AM

On my second playthrough I just quit in disgust, when the mission went ON, and ON, and ON and never freaking ended. The game must have forgotten how to end the game, and eventually we got overrun by zombies and juggernauts... Its annoying because its a story mission that I can't skip.

had that happen with the rescue Maya mission in the beginning the first time around.  it kept saying help her but there were no zombies.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2013, 05:30:54 PM »

This game is fantastic.    Yes it has some rough edges, but it's generally Zombie open world done right.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2013, 10:30:13 PM »

a bit more on the PC version:

“We are still working on the PC version, and I don’t have a really good estimate for completion. Too much depends on third parties. It isn’t going to be soon by any meaningful use of the word ‘soon’.”

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: