http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 07:02:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Blue Dragon demo up!  (Read 4554 times)
Interloper
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2007, 05:46:18 AM »

Weighs in at 1.1 gig, dl'ing now.  I probably won't even have time to play tonight, have to get up early.  Go grab it!

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 06:17:00 AM »

yeah i am d'loading it now...it has been on 1% for ages now...so beware people

cant wait to play it though(if i ever do)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 06:38:33 AM »

Wish I known it was up before I headed off to work.  Oh well, I'll set it to download while I'm sleeping after I get off from work.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 06:57:18 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on July 11, 2007, 06:38:33 AM

Wish I known it was up before I headed off to work.  Oh well, I'll set it to download while I'm sleeping after I get off from work.

set it now before you go to work,it may of downloaded by the time you get back(if it has downloaded before you get back,dont forget that there is an automatic console shut down now)

the marketplace is more or less at a stand still.....i am downloading some trailers one is 150mb,and it has taken 45 minutes now

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 07:05:23 AM »

Also stuck at 1%. Damnit.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 07:12:58 AM »

I would have set it up before I went to work... if I had known before I got to work it was up.   icon_smile

No big deal really... I have more than enough to keep me amused for my day off.  Going to pick up Project Sylpheed (however that's spelled) tomorrow.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 07:52:21 AM »

well instead of doing the demo,i set about getting the game vids first....some take a really long time even though they are only 100mb...but the too human one that is 400mb didnt take as long as i thought,say 10 minutes

the PGR4 trailer downloaded...but i will be f*&ked if i can find it,it hasnt appeared in the media video section like the rest...dunno whats happened there

EDIT:oh and lost odyssey looks great,but sounds like Highlander with a memory loss
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 07:56:45 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 08:02:01 AM »

I really wish I had a 360 now  crybaby

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »

this demo is taking fooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvarrrrrrrrrrrrr /cue sandlot
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 08:43:14 AM »

My download has just completed... impressions impending...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 09:12:44 AM »

mine hasnt even started yet,lol...bloody viva pinata party animals trailer is taking forever

i have download a damn lot though

new up are two Halo 3 trailers

Ace combat demo

NBA live trailer
Bomberman LIVE trailer

beatuiful katamari trailer

crash bandicoot trailer

guitar hero 2 new song pack,3 songs for 500points...expensive  ..BUT .....one of the songs is 'smoke on the water'....OH YEAH!!!

call of duty 4 trailer

get downloading!!

EDIT:oh,and guitar hero 3 trailer...hopefully featuring Slash!!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 09:17:35 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 09:15:09 AM »

Ace Combat demo?  I'm there..... in about 3 1/2 hours.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 11:50:13 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up!  Setting to DL now, will try it out when I get home this afternoon.

Hoping my 360 doesn't keep freezing like it did last night.  frown

EDIT:  Strange, I went to set up the d/l before I left for work, and there was no Blue Dragon demo.  Is is only released in certain areas or something?   icon_confused
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 12:57:05 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 12:29:29 PM »

Set up my d/l before I left for owrk and turned off my 360 smile d/l content while the 360 is turned off is a nice feature  thumbsup

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 01:11:40 PM »

Goddamnit!! I woke up and decided to save all the E3 news for work to pass the time, and now I missed setting up the BD demo download. ARGHGHG so mad at myself-oh well, hope to try this tonight, can't wait!
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 01:28:13 PM »

Well I got it. I never liked Nippon RPG's, I still don't.

I just don't get the attraction to these types of games. They seem ponderous, a little too kiddie like, and turn-based combat is just boring to me.

But, different strokes for different folks.............I guess.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 04:03:06 PM »

I wish the next update will allow you to telnet into you system and start downloads. icon_rolleyes Oh man sigh.....

I will have to wait until I get home. The DLC has be slow for the past couple of weeks. where the Transformers DL?

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 04:13:20 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on July 11, 2007, 01:28:13 PM

I just don't get the attraction to these types of games. They seem ponderous, a little too kiddie like, and turn-based combat is just boring to me

you just saved me a download  thumbsup

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 04:41:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 11, 2007, 04:13:20 PM

Quote from: Arclight on July 11, 2007, 01:28:13 PM

I just don't get the attraction to these types of games. They seem ponderous, a little too kiddie like, and turn-based combat is just boring to me

you just saved me a download  thumbsup

You needed someone to tell you thats how JRPGs are? I thought we all knew that.

I gave up trying to get it last night, will try again later.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 04:43:31 PM »

Quote from: Lee on July 11, 2007, 04:41:04 PM

I was kind of hoping for some kind of twist, that maybe with gameplay something might have jumped out that didn't come across in the previews.  Maybe I'll still download it, but probably not until next week when everything has died down a bit.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 05:04:52 PM »

grabbed about half of the trailers last night, but didn't get the demos.  not sure if i'll even bother with bd.  just too much coming out at once and lost odyssey looks better atm. 

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 06:34:09 PM »

The few minutes I played of it I like it so far. my 360 froze at the start of the boss battle. But then again i've had it on for quite some time. No clue if it was that or just the demo. Going to hit it up more after the sony conference.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2007, 06:41:54 PM »

i liked what i played so far,the story seems interesting with that girl having a wedlock/running man type device around her neck

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 06:50:36 PM »

typical jap rpg, which is great to me...but maybe not so great for other people

I don't know why some of you were expecting something other than a jap rpg?  no preview has ever made Blue Dragon sound otherwise
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2007, 06:51:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 11, 2007, 04:43:31 PM

Quote from: Lee on July 11, 2007, 04:41:04 PM

I was kind of hoping for some kind of twist, that maybe with gameplay something might have jumped out that didn't come across in the previews.  Maybe I'll still download it, but probably not until next week when everything has died down a bit.

"No, really, this time Lucy won't move the ball! I'll show everyone! I'll really kick that ball this time!"

icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2007, 07:09:27 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on July 11, 2007, 06:50:36 PM

typical jap rpg, which is great to me...but maybe not so great for other people

I don't know why some of you were expecting something other than a jap rpg?  no preview has ever made Blue Dragon sound otherwise

This is a very good point-its what it was designed to be a. A true FF/DQ style game by the creator of FF-I don't even like, not one iota, typical anime style-but that doesn't stop me from thinking this game looks great and like a nice refresher to the classic JRPG formula-it is essentially that same formula but with some tweaks and additions and fun stuff and nice 360 graphics. That works for me! Of course, can't actually try it till I get home!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2007, 07:21:51 PM »

After playing, I'm not as excited as I was.  For some reason, I was expecting something more, too.  It feels very been there, done that with a different skin.  Some of that may come from being thrown into the middle of the story, though, so I have hope.

There was a lot more slowdown than I expected, but I can assume that'll be fixed in time for release.

The biggest gripe is the faux metal tune that plays continuously through the very long boss battle at the end of the first dungeon.  Ugh.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 08:17:13 PM »

Outside of basic game mechanics, it's really tough to get a feeling for a 40+ hour game from a 30 minute demo.  I find that RPG demos are rarely representative of the final product, and (usually) actively dislike them, no matter how good the final game turns out to be.  Case in point:  I hated every single thing about the FF XII demo, but ended up spending 75+ hours with the final game.

The JRPG "back-to-basics" premise of BD is one of the major selling points for me.  Truth be told, BD is the main reason I got a 360 at all, so this demo won't really change my mind one way or the other.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2007, 08:25:35 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 11, 2007, 07:21:51 PM

There was a lot more slowdown than I expected, but I can assume that'll be fixed in time for release.

Doubtful.  Game has been complete and out in Japan for over 7 months.  Slowdown was a characteristic of it's release there. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2007, 08:41:27 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 11, 2007, 08:25:35 PM

Doubtful.  Game has been complete and out in Japan for over 7 months.  Slowdown was a characteristic of it's release there. 

I assumed this was an English language version of the Japanese demo.  I only saw a handful of reviews, but none of them mentioned slowdown, so far as I remember.

Quote from: Gratch on July 11, 2007, 08:17:13 PM

Outside of basic game mechanics, it's really tough to get a feeling for a 40+ hour game from a 30 minute demo.  I find that RPG demos are rarely representative of the final product, and (usually) actively dislike them, no matter how good the final game turns out to be.  Case in point:  I hated every single thing about the FF XII demo, but ended up spending 75+ hours with the final game.

The JRPG "back-to-basics" premise of BD is one of the major selling points for me.  Truth be told, BD is the main reason I got a 360 at all, so this demo won't really change my mind one way or the other.

It actually winds up being a two hour demo (one hour each in two levels), which is impressive, but your point is still valid.  On the other hand, isn't the point of a demo to whet your appetite and make you want the game?  Not have the opposite effect.

I had the same reaction to Eternal Sonata, which I have no doubt I will enjoy once I get into the final product, but the demo left me feeling a little underwhelmed.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2007, 10:41:34 PM »

I kind of liked the demo although it seems to be a fairly standard JRPG.  I can't help but wish for something more "next gen" in the genre (other than the graphics), but I get the feeling this one doesn't bring much of anything new to the table.  I thought the graphics looked nice, but there was some framerate dips during the battles.

I suspect I would enjoy it more starting at the beginning.  I felt a little overwhelmed starting out in the middle of things with my party already at 24th level.  I hope it will end with the same result as DQVIII.  I was less than thrilled about that demo and ended up loving the game.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2007, 10:45:52 PM »

I'm with Gratch. I'm looking forward to getting this game, but I have absolutely no interest in playing an hour (give or take) in the middle of the story.

Which is fortunate, since my 360 just died last night. biggrin
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2007, 11:31:07 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on July 11, 2007, 10:45:52 PM

I'm with Gratch. I'm looking forward to getting this game, but I have absolutely no interest in playing an hour (give or take) in the middle of the story.

Which is fortunate, since my 360 just died last night. biggrin

If it's any consolation, mine seems to be dying tonight.  frown

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2007, 12:23:04 AM »

demos for games like this are tough to pull off as it is, but damn this game feels like it goes 8 steps back, farther than DQ VIII! Might be a more engaging title if I got to play from the start, but the demo does the title no good.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2007, 12:30:30 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 11, 2007, 08:41:27 PM

I assumed this was an English language version of the Japanese demo.  I only saw a handful of reviews, but none of them mentioned slowdown, so far as I remember.

Did Japan even get a demo?  I know they did for Lost Odyssey but I don't recall a BD demo.

However I do remember framerate comments concerning the actual release version of the game including some debates about how significant the issue was and whether it would be fixed for US release.

Played the demo tonight and liked what I saw for the most part.  The tension system looks to bring some nice strategy into combat.  However I *was* pretty surprised with the framerate.  Even reading about the issues it was much worse than I expected.  In fact the whole game felt a lot choppier and less fluid than it should because of the art design this is really a game that is crying out for locked 60 fps.  I am really hoping this is fixed before release but don't have my hopes up.

I think the depth of field effect might be a tad overdone. 

Uemetsu's music didn't make much of an impression either way so that was slightly disappointing but I know this is only a narrow slice of a much larger game. 

Still, as noted above, RPGs are notoriously difficult to demo so the fact that I enjoyed this at all bodes well for the final game.  I liked it a helluva lot more than the Eternal Sonata demo. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2007, 02:26:42 AM »

I've never been a big fan of JRPGs. But I decided to give the demo a shot tonight. 

I enjoyed it more that I thought I would.  I can't see me playing alot of these types of games, but I could see how Blue Dragon could be a nice change of pace from the usual shooters and sports games. I want to see what happens next with the necklace bomb.    paranoid

I will definatey rent the game when it comes out.  So I guess this demo convinced at least one ignorant Phillistine to try the game. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2007, 02:47:22 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 11, 2007, 09:12:44 AM

guitar hero 2 new song pack,3 songs for 500points...expensive  ..BUT .....one of the songs is 'smoke on the water'....OH YEAH!!!

The biggest gripe is the faux metal tune that plays continuously through the very long boss battle at the end of the first dungeon.  Ugh.
Ironically, the boss battle music was done by Ian Gillan of Deep Purple, who did "Smoke On The Water".

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2007, 03:35:10 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 12, 2007, 12:30:30 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 11, 2007, 08:41:27 PM

Did Japan even get a demo?  I know they did for Lost Odyssey but I don't recall a BD demo.

However I do remember framerate comments concerning the actual release version of the game including some debates about how significant the issue was and whether it would be fixed for US release.

Played the demo tonight and liked what I saw for the most part.  The tension system looks to bring some nice strategy into combat.  However I *was* pretty surprised with the framerate.  Even reading about the issues it was much worse than I expected.  In fact the whole game felt a lot choppier and less fluid than it should because of the art design this is really a game that is crying out for locked 60 fps.  I am really hoping this is fixed before release but don't have my hopes up.

I think the depth of field effect might be a tad overdone. 

Uemetsu's music didn't make much of an impression either way so that was slightly disappointing but I know this is only a narrow slice of a much larger game. 

Still, as noted above, RPGs are notoriously difficult to demo so the fact that I enjoyed this at all bodes well for the final game.  I liked it a helluva lot more than the Eternal Sonata demo. 

I totally agree that the look of the game seems to lend itself to 60 FPS.  Maybe the slowdowns are more noticeable as a result?

And, yeah, what was up with the heavy use of that background blurring?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2007, 02:39:56 PM »

According to someone on GAF who has played the Japanese version of the game, the framerate in the demo is pretty much identical to the released version of the game.  However he did say the fortress area featured in the game is one of the worst for framerate and that others areas aren't nearly as bad. 

I haven't tried the Ruins section yet.  I'll have to see if the framerate is smoother in that section. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2007, 03:31:45 PM »

Well I dled this super quickly and easily last night but didn't get to try it until after midnight-as a result I only played 15 minuts of the Ruins level. I will preface this by saying I will probably play 15 minutes of the Fortress level and then delete the demo-to force myself not to play it anymore and spoil anything before the game comes out!

My initial impressions are very favorable. As everyone here has said, its almost impossible to gauge an RPG from a demo, even a 2 hour demo-I thought the DQ8 demo was awful and the FF12 demo was severely lacking.

This demo however (like Eternal Sonata), only confirms my desire for the full game. It is colorful, vibrant, cute, and the graphics are fantastic and look super clean and high-def. I don't generally like anime one iota, but the anime style of this game really worked well overall-great artistic direction. The battle system was a bunch of fun too-far more complex than many of the previews led me to believe, and unlike some early reports, I found the system not at all similar to DQ8. It is essentially a mishmash of various final fantasy styles with an action bar for certain attacks/spells and dragon shadows with customizable skills that attack, rather than the character whom they possess. It works very well, with an interesting tension system, a good, mildly complex ATB style system that can be manipulated by your accuracy with the action bar, a wide variety of skills and spells, and from the looks of the menu screen, a very interesting and varied skill system underneath (if you check, you can customize the skills in the demo, and there are some fun ones to stick in for new attacks). Basically, its nothing like the primitiveness of DQ8, but not as streamlined or refined as FF12 for instance.

The dialogue from the 3 people or whatever I spoke too was fine, on the less mature side, but probably an earlier Final Fantasy style (9ish). Overall, it just confirms this as a day 1 purchase I am looking forward to. Last note-the framerate was not great in the Ruins, but not terrible. I would really like to see it improved on release, because I am not sure its even a steady 30fps (and as many said, this look is tailor made for a smooth 60). But even so, it really didn't affect my enjoyment of the game.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: