http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 12:30:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Battlefield 2- Who's getting it.?  (Read 2712 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2006, 12:57:19 PM »

I am! smile

I never played any of the other console versions of the game (except the single player demo in OXM), so I am excited about this one. It has a pretty good single player game (much better than the PC's SP game). Multiplayer should be a blast and I hope to see some other GT'ers online with this one.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 03:09:33 PM »

I am tempted for the single player alone.  Multi lately, in any game, has been zero fun for me.  Too many jabbering blubbering fools.  But you are right the single looks interesting.  The demo almost convinced me to not even rent as it was lackluster for me.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 03:45:57 PM »

If the singleplayer is anything like the PS2 version, it is short, but a ton of fun.  The hotswapping between troops rocks.  Battlefield 2 needed this singleplayer mode (rather than the basic botmatch that we got).

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 04:19:13 PM »

renting then I will decide.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 06:42:59 PM »

posted over on OO that you can get this at best buy today.  just got my copy.  don't forget to ask a clerk for the gaming coupon book they all should be carrying.  it has a 5 dollar off coupon in it for BF2.

i'll be logging in tonight for a bit to check it out.  if anyone sees me in game and has it, give me a holler.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 08:11:56 PM »

Posted this over at OO as well...

Just played my first game online and it was FUN FUN FUN! smile

Sixteen maps is a pretty good number. Hopefully they will release more, but from what I have played so far, they are pretty well done.

The graphics are MUCH MUCH better than the Xbox version demo that I played and even look better than the PC version, the lighting is much better and so are the explosions.

The single player game is actually pretty good as well. It's fun to hotswap. smile

I just got done with the first mission in the campaign.....a snowy mission at night. OMG, it was BEAUTIFUL. Much better than anything in the PC version. The weather effects are great. I also like how it ranks you after each level on the global leaderboard and all the stats it keeps track of. Pretty cool.

This one is a keeper for both offline and online modes, IMO.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 08:28:09 PM »

i think either Knightshade, arkon, soulchilde, or jarradhk should create a clan for us (if they have the game, that is).

suggested name:

hepcat's love brigade

EDIT:  never mind, looks like hetz already created a clan for OO  (which is pretty much a conglomerate of GT and OO people anyway, and vice versa).

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 08:35:35 PM »

I setup a clan, cause I had nothing better to do smile

It's called Octopus Overlords (very original, I know...but it was a good clan name) and anyone is free to join.

Come join us tonight! smile

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 09:55:39 PM »

Can anyone report on the length of the SP portion?  Please say 10-12 hours.  That would be perfect.  But I must say these types have much more replay as you can redo a level and it end up differently if you switch characters differently or don't switch at all or take out enemies in a different order and manor.  Should make for some decent replay.  

If the single player is long enough then good bye G.R.A.W. and hello BF2:MC.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 10:07:54 PM »

I am considering picking this up.  I enjoyed the demo quite a bit.  I would be buying it strictly for the multiplayer though.  For those who have played both, is BF2's multi player on par with GRAW's?  I ask this mainly because EA's servers on Xbox Live have historically been aweful.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 12:26:21 AM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"
I am considering picking this up.  I enjoyed the demo quite a bit.  I would be buying it strictly for the multiplayer though.  For those who have played both, is BF2's multi player on par with GRAW's?  I ask this mainly because EA's servers on Xbox Live have historically been aweful.

so far, so good.  i just played MP for about 45 minutes.  got killed A LOT, but stable with only a few moments of lag here and there.  it's MUCH more frantic than good ol' GRAW, though.  It really does give a true console representation of BF2 on the PC...all the way down to me sucking horribly as a sniper.

the vehicles are a blast to drive, too!

i'd say if you're looking for GRAW gameplay, it's not really the same in that GRAW pays off if you act methodically, while BF2 rewards you for just running like hell and blasting away at anything that shows red and gets in your way.

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 12:33:24 AM »

I picked this up see you on tonight.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 12:34:18 AM »

I will be on as soon as Lost is over.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 12:39:42 AM »

<fights temptation>  Dang it... I really don't need another game right now...

On the other hand I am hungry and should go get food anyway...

Pikachu, I Blame you!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 12:41:08 AM »

as soon as everyone gets some practice in (myself especially), i'd love to get some clan games going.  i'm hoping by this weekend i'll be SOMEWHAT familar with the controls.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 01:01:43 AM »

Well crap.  Fear my lack of willpower.  Heading out to pick it up.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 03:09:15 AM »

Quote from: "hepcat"
as soon as everyone gets some practice in (myself especially), i'd love to get some clan games going.  i'm hoping by this weekend i'll be SOMEWHAT familar with the controls.

Yeah, I'd love to get some clan games going. Right now I kind of suck online....but I'll get better, trust me!  biggrin

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 04:06:40 AM »

Yep... count me into the suckage.  That sniper mission was really starting to make me feel incompetent.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 04:15:11 AM »

I was extremely unimpressed with the demo.

Is the full retail any different?

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2006, 06:34:13 AM »

Not sure... I never actually played the demo.  I'm having fun with the single player campaign at the moment.  Can't say I enjoy flying an unarmed recon chopper though.  The controls are pretty nice for the choppers at least.  Vehicle controls work pretty well also.

Looking forward to getting together with people and playing online.  I'm a bit hesitant to go into random servers though.

Edit: I played the campaign and a few of the challenges for about 7 hours. (I love school holidays)  Fun, although I am not as skilled as I would like.  Finally gave up on my current mission for the night as I was getting very frustrated.

Nice thing, all that time, no crashes, no lockups, etc.  After playing Graw and Oblivion, both of which I love, and suffering many lock-ups etc. it was nice to just play without worries.

I really like the weapons so far, although I wouldn't trust me with an RPG anytime soon  :oops: Shotguns are fun... kinda hope that Graw decides to add some in at some point.

If the game had split screen and/or co-op I would be even happier with it.  As it is I'll just have to wait to play with you guys online.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2006, 12:14:37 PM »

Quote from: "Jarrodhk"
Not sure... I never actually played the demo.  I'm having fun with the single player campaign at the moment.  Can't say I enjoy flying an unarmed recon chopper though.  The controls are pretty nice for the choppers at least.  Vehicle controls work pretty well also.

Looking forward to getting together with people and playing online.  I'm a bit hesitant to go into random servers though.

Edit: I played the campaign and a few of the challenges for about 7 hours. (I love school holidays)  Fun, although I am not as skilled as I would like.  Finally gave up on my current mission for the night as I was getting very frustrated.

Nice thing, all that time, no crashes, no lockups, etc.  After playing Graw and Oblivion, both of which I love, and suffering many lock-ups etc. it was nice to just play without worries.

I really like the weapons so far, although I wouldn't trust me with an RPG anytime soon  :oops: Shotguns are fun... kinda hope that Graw decides to add some in at some point.

If the game had split screen and/or co-op I would be even happier with it.  As it is I'll just have to wait to play with you guys online.

Random servers have been really good so far. I was impressed. Not much talking at all, I think it is cause you have to press a button to talk or something....so no kids screaming racial slurs or swearing the whole time, at least not in the couple games that I played.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2006, 12:53:35 PM »

Yeah, Jarrodhk sent me a msg last night  over live.  My willpower is fading.  If I can play MP with GT/OO folks this will be a keeper.  

Damn I feel my willpower fading....sigh

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2006, 12:59:02 PM »

I picked this up yesterday as well. I traded GRAW in on it as I just couldn't get into it... However I didn't get to play it as an addiction to a certain MMO game kept me from it lol.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2006, 06:02:04 PM »

Can someone explain how teams work in the game?  

Are there squads like the PC version?  Are their squad leaders?

How does communication work?  Who can communicate with who exactly?

Is there an overall "commander" to each side?  

Are there lots of maps?  What are the sizes of them?

Can you invite a friend directly into your current game?

Are the controls easy to pick up?

What exact purpose does a "clan" serve?

Thanks.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2006, 07:01:13 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Can someone explain how teams work in the game?  

Are there squads like the PC version?  Are their squad leaders?

How does communication work?  Who can communicate with who exactly?

Is there an overall "commander" to each side?  

Are there lots of maps?  What are the sizes of them?

Can you invite a friend directly into your current game?

Are the controls easy to pick up?

What exact purpose does a "clan" serve?

Thanks.

I'll try to answer some of those questions:

i haven't seen any form of squad management so far.  i also don't believe there's a commander function like the PC version has.  However, some of that functionality may be incorporated into the Clan stuff.  Need to test that out tonight.

communication is a "push and speak" type thing.  You push your B or X button (can't remember which right now) and talk.  when you release, you aren't audible.  this drastically cuts down on the number of "I AM LEET!  YOU ARE A LOOOOOSER!" talk you'd expect in a game like this.  however, it does add another step to communications amongst your teammates.

16 maps so far.  i've only seen 3, but they appear to be roughly 3/4 the size of the PC version of BF2, in general.

as for inviting friends, i checked my friend's list after i logged in to BF2:MC for the first time and saw that VelvetElvis was in a game.  when i clicked on his name, the option to "join game in progress" was available, so i'm guessing you can.

i've yet to play a clan game, but i'm assuming it's just a way to organize who's on your team by allowing you to challenge OTHER clans to matches.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2006, 07:25:40 PM »

OK.  Thanks for the help hepcat.  I really look forward to hearing the answers to my other questions when you have time to figure it out.  The whole team thing is paramount for me in a game like this with regards to multiplayer.  I am well past the day where playing with pickup groups is anything short of torture in a game like this.  

Thanks.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 07:32:16 PM »

No thanks, didn't care for the demo frown
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 09:19:58 PM »

I want single player impressions and lots of em.  The pc version was fun in multi but got old.  The single on the pc was bleh.  I am interested in whether this single has a decent story that is fleshed out as you play or if you simply read a blurb and are thrown in a map to clear out the enemies.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 11:05:32 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
Yeah, Jarrodhk sent me a msg last night  over live.  My willpower is fading.  If I can play MP with GT/OO folks this will be a keeper.  

Damn I feel my willpower fading....sigh

Hah!  If I give in, you must also suffer!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2006, 11:37:22 PM »

yes...come into the light, my friend.   :wink:

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2006, 11:41:27 PM »

If a good number of GT'ers grab this sucker and intend on playing it - and if matchmaking is easy enough to have a group of 8 people or whatever join a game together, then I'm most likely game.  I'm looking for a somewhat faster shooter to complement GRAW.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2006, 12:09:30 AM »

Ok, I added everyone that messaged me to be in the clan. I also made everyone that joined so far, co-leaders. I'm not exactly sure what that means exactly in terms of the game....but what the heck. smile

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2006, 12:41:06 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
If a good number of GT'ers grab this sucker and intend on playing it - and if matchmaking is easy enough to have a group of 8 people or whatever join a game together, then I'm most likely game.  I'm looking for a somewhat faster shooter to complement GRAW.

I'll have to experiment a bit to make sure, but I'm expecting that if one of us hosts a game and then invites everyone else... that should be all the matchmaking necessary.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2006, 04:28:31 AM »

i just bought this game solely because of the online demo,which i loved

single player is good,very tense,and very hard(well for me anyway)...only got to about level 4 or 5,i hate it in the single player when you go forward and it takes you ages to get to a certain place ,you find that your 'team',havent moved an inch.....they just do what they wanna do...and then if you get overwhelmed and die and then 'hotswap' to another guy who has been staring in the wrong direction miles away from your objective.....many a time already i have been screaming at the screen at my team

online though is where it is really at,lots of levels,nice and big,lots of buildings and walkways....vehicles are great(my favourite is the snow ski)

just it still suffers by that ass of a spawn killer every now and then,but i suppose that has to be expected in these kind of games

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2006, 08:37:26 AM »

Played some online today.  Was pretty good.  Played more of the campaign and am currently at a loss.  

I defend a trainstation from attack.  No problem.  Then the opposition sends a train full of explosives at the station at high speed.  I get 4 guys spread along a track with 50 cal. machineguns.  Then the train doesn't die.  Not sure what the deal is.

Edit: Hate it when I get stuck somewhere that no one does.  <mutters>

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2006, 11:12:40 AM »

I tried the demo last night.  How any of you guys play in random pickup groups is beyond me, seriously.

I don't know if I'm just getting older and grumpier or what, but I am consistantly amazed at what I experience online.  "Moron" doesn't BEGIN to properly describe the average gamer I come across in random pickup groups.

LD

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2006, 01:14:51 PM »

Quote from: "Jarrodhk"
Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

I'll have to experiment a bit to make sure, but I'm expecting that if one of us hosts a game and then invites everyone else... that should be all the matchmaking necessary.

d'oh, i didn't even think of that option.  can you host private games?  if so, i wonder if you can create a custom match with bots.  haven't really checked these options out yet.  i'll poke around tonight in settings to see what the capabilities are.

by the way, sorry i disappeared mid game last night.  i was getting killed so badly on that smaller map we were on that i had to go and soothe my broken ego with a little Far Cry single player.   :wink:

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2006, 01:27:08 PM »

Sounds like the SP portion is as lame as I have been reading in other forums-enemies that stand out in the open, your teammates not following or serving any useful purpose other than to swap to, etc etc.  The multi might hold some enjoyment if with some of you all but considering I did all that with the pc version, and still could, I will pass til it hits in the $20's somewhere and then just pick it up to fool around with.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2006, 11:31:37 PM »

Unfortunately you can't host a game from what I've seen.  You can do the clan games though.  No idea how that works yet.  I think we'd need at least 4-6 people on to make it happen.

In the meantime, just joining games in progress should work pretty well.  Especially if the first person does a search for low population games to ensure enough room for everyone.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2006, 12:35:46 AM »

Tried the demo, wasn't feeling it.  Map felt too sparse and no matter what FPS I like to play, I prefer those small, nonstop-action maps.  Maybe I'll grab it when it pricedrops.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: