http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 03:09:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] 1 year, 10,000 Gamerscore - an adventure  (Read 3040 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2008, 06:01:09 PM »

So, I got my 360 between xmas and new year's last year and a year later now stand at 9550 Gamerscore. I would not describe myself as an "achievement whore" but I will occasionally go out of my way for some points. Since I'll be away for the holidays, I have about 2 weeks to get 450 points, which means I may have to pry myself away from COD5 and work on some of my backlog. We'll see, I may fall short. But I thought it would fun to go back and look at some of the achievements I got this year and whether or not they were worth it.

Tomb Raider Legend - Collect 5 Bronze Rewards (10)
I believe this is the first achievement I ever...achieved. I enjoyed this game quite a bit and wound up playing through it basically twice, once on normal and once on hard. But not because I had gone back to get the achievement - about 3/4s through the game my save got corrupted and I had to completely start over, and since the combat wasn't very hard, I decided to up the difficulty. The achievements I didn't get were mostly time trials, because I don't have the patience for that.

Feeding Frenzy - Andy Champion (10)
I got this game free with my console. I can't believe they are making a sequel. It seemed kind of like one of those in-browser flash games. I did get this achievement just because I wanted to have some return for wasting my time.

Crackdown - High Flyer (10) and Base Jumper (10)
Getting to the top of the Agency tower is a really fun thing to do, and I might not have attempted it if not for the achievement. But getting to jump off? Even better.

Call of Duty 2 - Veteran of Stalingrad '42 (60)
This is where I found out that playing Call of Duty on veteran just isn't fun. 60 points is a really nice reward, but just not worth it. I hate that they make so many of the points in CoD games for beating the game on veteran.

Kameo - Beaten Thorn (100)
I really didn't like Kameo, which surprised me, because it is definitely up my alley. But the game pretty much bored me to tears when it wasn't making me frustrated. You get 600 points for just beating the game, but I had no interest at all in going back for any other, most of which required you to replay the missions really, really well.

The Orange Box - Zombie Chopper (25) and The One Free Bullet (40)
A bit of a philosophical argument here - does knowing about achievements change the game experience? I attempted both of these achievements (which require you to get through parts of the games using only limited weaponry) on my first run-through. So I have never used a shotgun in Ravenholm. Although I will play it again at some point. Notably missing from my list is Keep off the Sand (20) which I attempted numerous times but couldn't manage. I doubt I will ever do Little Rocket Man (30) because it just doesn't seem like much fun.

Tomb Raider Anniversary - Medium Game (25) NOT
The game glitched and didn't give me this achievement or the one for finishing on easy even thought I completed the game  icon_evil

GTAIV - You Got the Message (20)
This is the one for getting all the stolen cars.  It just reminds me of how much time I spent traveling all around Liberty City.

Battlefield: Bad Company - Get the Dog! (20)
Anyone who played BC with me knows how much of an idiot I made of myself trying to get dog tags. This is the most Gamerscore I have for a single game, 900 out of 1000.

Too Human - Valkyrie's Folly (5)
This is the achievement for dying 100 times. I did it in one playthrough. Yeah, fun game  Roll Eyes

and similarly...

Call of Duty: World at War - Purple Heart (5)
You get this for dying 20 times on a single level, and I did it on the very first level I played. (It was on hardened, at least)

It's been a fun ride to (almost) 10K. We'll see if can get to 20K next year...

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 06:05:26 PM »

Heh, I'm just about to break 10,000 and I've had a 360 since launch...
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 06:07:26 PM »

I've had mine since Oct. 2007 and I think I have less than a 5000 gamer score. I am so not uber.

I find the score thing odd. I was looking through all my games/points and was struck by how different my total score was in each. I found it odd that some of the games I had completed had still netted me less than half of the achievement points!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 06:08:43 PM »

Damn, son.  I'm just under 8500, and I got mine at launch.  I guess that's what happens when you finish as few games as I do.

I really hate when they make most of their achievements only gettable in MP (Gears of War, I'm looking at you).  In contrast, I like when you can get a good number just for playing through the game.  Make the first 500 or so a reward for finishing, and then make the rest for the overachievers.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 06:12:10 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 10, 2008, 06:01:09 PM

I would not describe myself as an "achievement whore"

Then I will. You are a total achievement whore. Total. Totally.

A bit of a philosophical argument here - does knowing about achievements change the game experience?

I would say yes. I do many many things that I would not ordinarily do because of achievements.  This is why I never review acheivements lists before playing. I want to play my way....and then maybe go back later and try things I wouldn't have done...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:15:12 PM by SensuousLettuce » Logged
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 06:18:20 PM »

Christ, I've got over 12,000 points and I'm far from being one of the "uber elite."  I play games I enjoy through to completion, and I am somewhat of an achievement whore when it comes to managable achievements.  But I don't play all games through to completion, and I usually ignore some of the near impossible achievements.  Some just aren't worth my time, but some can be really entertaining and challenging and really give that sense of accomplishment when you are able to succeed.  For example, the Wax On/Wax Off achievement in Geometry Wars 2 plagued me for months, but when I finally succeeded I had a very pleasant sense of accomplishment.

But some achievements, like collecting all of the flags in Assassin's Creed, just aren't worth the effort to me.  And a lot of the MP-specific achievements are just way out of my league.  But, if a game is really fun and the achievements are doable, then I usually go after them as best I can.  While the points don't mean anything to anyone else, to me they show what I've been able to accomplish in games I like to play.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 06:18:48 PM »

I've gained 45,541 gamerscore between Jan 1 2008 and today.  Do I have a problem?

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 06:22:02 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 10, 2008, 06:18:20 PM

Christ, I've got over 12,000 points and I'm far from being one of the "uber elite."

Quote from: WalkingFumble on December 10, 2008, 06:18:48 PM

I've gained 45,541 gamerscore between Jan 1 2008 and today.  Do I have a problem?

See?  ^-----^

icon_eek

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »

Wow. Some quality titles there too. disgust

Who can forget Big Game Hunter, Meet The Robinsons and Alaskan Adventures??

You should be ashamed of yourself sir! 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 06:37:28 PM »

A bit of a philosophical argument here - does knowing about achievements change the game experience? . . .  I have never used a shotgun in Ravenholm.

Movies and older games have taught us that blasting zombies with shotguns is cool and/or fun.

In HL2 you're given a shotgun for the first time in zombie-infested Ravenholm with much fanfare.

You decided to forgo surefire fun with shotgun-zombie mayhem in order to get $25 Funny Money*.

*Funny Money not redeemable within the park.  Funny Money has no cash value.  Funny Money not redeemable outside the park.  Funny Money may give the appearance of a larger epeen.  Please see your doctor.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 06:38:53 PM »

Ha! Call me an achievement whore?

I believe the definition of an achievement whore is someone who has the Avatar game on their list.
 ninja (OK, I wanted to link to Fumble's list of Avatar achievements but I can't seem to do it)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:43:02 PM by Teggy » Logged

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 06:41:19 PM »

I don't got out of my way for achievements at all considering the recent trend in some games to have the majority of them be online focused; CoD:WaW and NHL 09 immediately come to mind. The majority of my multiplay is split-screen with some system link and those online achievements don't apply. In fact I think I've gotten less than 1/4 of those in NHL 09 despite having won many league trophies in my Be a Pro career and having played many split-screen games with buddies. From what I can see achievements are becoming more about selling Xbox Live subscriptions than what a player actually achieves in a game. As it stands I've had my 360 for just over a year and I'm shy of 7K.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:04:31 PM by kronovan » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 06:44:45 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 10, 2008, 06:41:19 PM

I don't got out of my way for achievements at all considering the recent trend in some games to have the majority of them be online focused; CoD:WaW and NHL 09 immediately come to mind.

With the exception of the co-op achievements, WaW doesn't have any online achievements. CoD4 had none. It's one of the things that kind of annoys me about those games because I have put in so much MP time. smile

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 06:45:26 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 10, 2008, 06:37:28 PM

A bit of a philosophical argument here - does knowing about achievements change the game experience? . . .  I have never used a shotgun in Ravenholm.

Movies and older games have taught us that blasting zombies with shotguns is cool and/or fun.

In HL2 you're given a shotgun for the first time in zombie-infested Ravenholm with much fanfare.

You decided to forgo surefire fun with shotgun-zombie mayhem in order to get $25 Funny Money*.

Hey, chopping zombies in half with giant saw blades is FUN.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 06:57:05 PM »

I don't got out of my way for achievements at all considering the recent trend in some games to have the majority of them be online focused; CoD:WaW and NHL 09 immediately come to mind.

Actually, I don't think World at War has any online MP achievements.  Actually, there are three online co-op achievements and the rest are solo-only or solo/co-op either/or.

Quote from: Teggy on December 10, 2008, 06:44:45 PM

With the exception of the co-op achievements, WaW doesn't have any online achievements. CoD4 had none. It's one of the things that kind of annoys me about those games because I have put in so much MP time. smile

Oops.   icon_redface

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 07:03:45 PM »

i am 805 pts shy of 20k since i got my system (elite launch April 29, 2007) and yes, if you look you will see a few ach whoring moments, some i would never pimp out.  for the most part though, i don't keep playing a game after i finish it, which is why you see only one game with 1k.  in most cases, if it's a simple one to get and doesn't require a concentrated session just for that one (dead rising's genocide, rocket man, etc) then i will get it.  i've also left points on the table, so to speak in games where i just had no desire to keep playing any more like finding the last odd number of flags in AC or all of the pigeons in gta4.  

at this point, i would rather play cod5 mp then go for the illustrious personal achievement of getting 20k before the end of the year.  it's all about where the fun is.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 07:11:48 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 10, 2008, 06:45:26 PM

Yes it is, but didn't you have to babysit your sawblades at some points in the map, making sure you didn't shoot them out of reach or having to backtrack to rearm?  I just went nuts and had fun if there happened to be sawblades around and didn't worry about losing them, because I could always just break out my shotgun. slywink
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 07:14:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 10, 2008, 07:11:48 PM

Quote from: Teggy on December 10, 2008, 06:45:26 PM

Yes it is, but didn't you have to babysit your sawblades at some points in the map, making sure you didn't shoot them out of reach or having to backtrack to rearm?  I just went nuts and had fun if there happened to be sawblades around and didn't worry about losing them, because I could always just break out my shotgun. slywink

Actually, the radiators work even better smile

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 07:16:37 PM »

I have somewhere in the 14K range of points and I got my 360 a few months after launch.  I never go out of my way to get achievements (well, not never, but pretty rarely...the ones in Geometry Wars would be an example, but I would never rent or buy a game just to get points).  I like them in when I see them pop up, I an curious what they are and why I got the popup, but I am not somebody who gets all excited about getting the grand total increased.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 07:27:35 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 10, 2008, 06:44:45 PM

Yup you're correct, I probably confused it with Far Cry 2 which is another game I've been recently playing; although I am fairly certain there's a few online only for Waw. FC2 has many online related achievements worth well over 300 pts. For a game with such a huge, lengthy and immersive campaign it doesn't make sense to me to have a 1/3 of the achievements be online focused. As well, I've noted in  a number of games with an online only co-op mode many achievements obtainable for the hardest difficulty setting while played solo or co-op. I'll admit I'm not the most savvy gamer, but I've personally found the hardest difficulty on such games to be just brutal without a 2nd player. That factor really makes it necessary to get online to achieve them.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 07:33:14 PM by kronovan » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 07:30:41 PM »

You know, this came up for me the other day.  I was playing Left 4 Dead with someone, and he basically said, "Holy shit, that's some gamer score you've got there!"  I was flummoxed.  I'd never really thought about my score before.  I checked friends on my list, and my score is leaps and bounds above most of them.

I think it's because I play a lot of games.  Those little freebies in so many of them add up quickly.  Still, it's a little staggering.  Not 45,000 in less than a year, but closing in on 30K since launch is still pretty high, I think.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 08:41:39 PM »

CoD;W@W achievements...

• Get Your Right Foot Wet - Got online, met some people, and kicked butt in a Competitive Co-Op game session.
  • Get Your Left Foot Wet - Complete a match in Campaign Co-Op mode over Xbox LIVE. (Online co-op only)
  • Blue Ribbon - Complete a 4-player Competitive Co-Op match in 1st place over Xbox LIVE. (Online co-op only)

There are plenty of in-came Challenges,  which are online only, but only three achievements worth 85 points total. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 08:55:20 PM »

Launch day 360 + me = Gamerscore of 5462.
Although I don't remember doing this, I must AVOID getting points.

LiveTAG: happydog
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 08:56:13 PM »

Got my xbox in August of 2007 and I am just about to hit 10k points!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 09:50:51 PM »

Quote from: JCC on December 10, 2008, 06:07:26 PM

I find the score thing odd. I was looking through all my games/points and was struck by how different my total score was in each. I found it odd that some of the games I had completed had still netted me less than half of the achievement points!

Achievements vary greatly.  In one infamous game (the previously mentioned Avatar) you can get 1000 points in the first level, while I've put almost 40 hours into Blue Dragon and have a grand total of 15 points.

In my first year with my 360 (October 2007 - October 2008), I got about 5000 points and I'm at 5585 now.  I play a lot of games at once, so those are spread out over a large number of games, with only two games over 500 points.  Here's my list if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 09:52:57 PM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 01:20:07 AM »

Almost 60k here!

Had it since launch, pretty much play everything that comes out....my game history is a wonderful reminder of life, experiences, and memories. I can track each game and remember why I hated/loved it, why I quit early, and all the little things around my life that marked when I had that one.

I think Prince of Persia will bump me to the big 6.0.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 01:23:03 AM by Pharaoh » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 01:34:47 AM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on December 11, 2008, 01:20:07 AM

Almost 60k here!

Had it since launch, pretty much play everything that comes out....my game history is a wonderful reminder of life, experiences, and memories. I can track each game and remember why I hated/loved it, why I quit early, and all the little things around my life that marked when I had that one.

I think Prince of Persia will bump me to the big 6.0.

Wow, 202 games...do you primarily buy, rent or trade?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 01:40:02 AM »

I think I'm at 5 or 6k, I don't really pay attention anymore.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 02:15:24 AM »

I'm at 37809 from launch with a little bit of padding I'll admit. paranoid

Most proud of the Survived 1,000,000 one from GeoWars.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 09:07:39 AM »

I am most definitely not an achievement whore.  Even the games that I have put over 240+ hours into I rarely have over 400 gamerscore on.

Rockband, Rainbow Six: Vegas, CoD4 and now CoD:WaW are all under the 400 point mark I believe.

I just see going for achievements as a waste and an artificial lengthening of the 'enjoyment' of a game. 

Play CoD on Veteran?  Not fun, no thanks.   Play any game online ranked?  Depends on the game, many have settings I just don't care for that are required to get an achievement.

I prefer to get my fun from the actual gameplay in the game, not the gameplay needed to meet the achievements. 

Oddly enough, after sayign all that, I'm glad they exist.  I do enjoy when they pop up, I just rarely if ever intentionally do somethign to get one.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 01:33:22 PM »

I've had a shift in my achievement attitude lately.  While I don't think I was ever someone who actively sought out achievements, I would pull up the list at the start of the game, just to see what to keep an eye out for.  Most games do a good job of hiding the spoilers, but it's happened, so I stopped doing that.  But I'd still try to be aware of what might be coming up.  Now, though, I much prefer the surprise of them.  Not knowing it's coming and getting that little bloop is a nice little smile in the middle of a game.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 07:59:17 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 11, 2008, 09:07:39 AM

Play CoD on Veteran?  Not fun, no thanks.   Play any game online ranked?  Depends on the game, many have settings I just don't care for that are required to get an achievement.

a huge +1 for cod on veteran.  more hulk rage inducing "break game in half and nuke the f--ker" moments than i really ever want to deal with again. 

on that note, i am really relieved that i finished cod5 on hardened.  that was a pita, but not as bad as veteran.  100pts for that is well earned imo. 

having beat halo3 on legendary through a kickass co-op group session stands as one of my fond moments as i haven't had as much fun (enough to group up the next night to finish the campaign, actually) in a co-op since. 

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2008, 10:04:54 PM »

I've only done a few things just for the achievement.

I took the same two characters with me on every mission in Mass Effect. (I did not replay it to do the same with other characters.)  Also I created all 7 weapons in Fallout 3 even though I wasn't going to use most of them. Collected all the skulls in Halo 3, but that was because my son wanted the Hayabusa armor.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 10:19:10 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on December 10, 2008, 06:08:43 PM

Damn, son.  I'm just under 8500, and I got mine at launch.  I guess that's what happens when you finish as few games as I do.

I really hate when they make most of their achievements only gettable in MP.

Yeah. I'll second the hatred of MP achievements. Rock Band 1 had a really high number of OCD Multiplayer achievements. Trying to find someone who wanted to play all the gigs in all the cities was a pain in the arse. I eventually bought a mic stand so I could do them myself, but still didn't get very far.

Tongue
warning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2008, 03:15:00 AM »

I was happy when I recently broke 5,000 after almost 2 1/2 years.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2008, 01:30:56 AM »

WOW

You may have a problem...  icon_eek

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2008, 02:24:17 PM »

Launch day player, here (a tad over 4k GamerScore.)  I paid no attention to Achievement Points, whatsoever, when I started on the 360.  Not too long after, I began an almost 2 year addiction to FFXI; if you are embarrassed by a high Gamer Score, I suggest you play that game.  I finally got one craft to level 100 - for a total of 50 points.  I could have earned one more, but running the clan didn't seem to allow me to get a job to level 75 (62 paladin was the best I managed) - and then I realized that the game was damned near killing me, and I finally pulled the plug on it.   tear

Recently, I've gotten interested in Gamer Score a little, partly because Infinite Undiscovery had a ton of them that you could miss by just playing the game to completion.  Example: I noticed I had all of the "songs" you could get, except one, and it was a fair amount of work get them.  I thought "Hey, I'll go back and get that one near the start that I missed."  Cool, but it was no longer an option. And there was no way I was going to replay the entire game to get that Achievement, and that was that.

So now I pay a little more attention to the points.  I believe that Achievements can still be fun and can add to a game, in the same way reaching a max level, or finding that special weapon, can be fulfilling.  Now, if I see something, like in Fallout 3 - "Oh, I have all the Bobbleheads but one, OMG!" - then I go for the last one... as long as I'm still having fun.  If it's ridiculous - like replaying an entire game that I already played to death - then no way am I going to do that.  Gaming should be fun, not frustrating.

It's all in the Eye of the Beholder...  nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: