http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 08:05:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] 'second shipment' = Absolutely Nothing  (Read 3043 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2005, 01:02:03 AM »

So, I wandered into my local Gamestop and bluntly asked my usual 'contact' what he knows about the 'second shipment' of Xbox 360's.

It's bleak. Actually, it's so bleak it's embarrasing.

My Gamestop had about 90 presales. They got about 20 in (if I remember right - 16 Premiums and a couple of Cores). The last presale for the first shipment was sold before June.

The 'second shipment'?

They're getting under *10*, and it's due the third week of December. They just got an e-mail from corporate this morning telling them this. And as of tonight they still have 77 presales unfilled.

So, for all of you waiting for this 'second shipment', I'm sorry to tell you that you're basically screwed.

And my contact has no reason to lie to me either - I already have my console. So there's the truth as I've heard it. Take it as you will.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 01:19:38 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
No numbers have been released for the PSP for October.  Which is odd and really unexplainable.

I'd say that a successful console launch would be delivering systems to consumers who want them.  Microsoft hasn't delivered.  However, they *have* sold every 360 they've had on the market, so it's been successful...to them.

But even if the people with 360's LOVE the launch games, LOVE the system, LOVE EVERYTHING, the fact remains that there are gamers out there who want a 360.  And can't get one.  So, to me, it wasn't successful.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/2005-11-28-xbox-second-round_x.htm

Second shipment, on it's way!  biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 01:45:43 AM »

:cry:
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 02:08:56 AM »

No numbers have been released for the PSP for October.  Which is odd and really unexplainable.

I'd say that a successful console launch would be delivering systems to consumers who want them.  Microsoft hasn't delivered.  However, they *have* sold every 360 they've had on the market, so it's been successful...to them.

But even if the people with 360's LOVE the launch games, LOVE the system, LOVE EVERYTHING, the fact remains that there are gamers out there who want a 360.  And can't get one.  So, to me, it wasn't successful.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/2005-11-28-xbox-second-round_x.htm

Second shipment, on it's way!  biggrin

Well, IF this is all true, then how was I supposed to know that the USA today was lying?

I'm sorry that people can't get it. I know that some of you are probabily jumping up and down in glee...but I am just sad for all the gamers that can't get an XBox 360 right now.

I am sure glad I have mine though (and I would have had one regardless of winning the contest, since I preordered in May and was #3 on the list at my Gamestop) and I am having a blast with it. I'm just sad more people can't experience this amazing system.

I really think that MS blew it bigtime by having all 3 launches so damn close to each other. There are reports out of the UK that most stores are only getting 1-2 units in for launch over there tomorrow.

Bad move, MS. You need to focus on one area at a time. I hope Sony doesn't make the same mistake.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 02:10:59 AM »

In addition to my listing in Purge's Seeking 360 List, I've been doing my own legwork to see if I can save someone else the trouble.  Despite scattered reports in my area that Wal*Mart and Best Buy have received their second shipments, I couldn't find one to save my life.  Some of the sales representatives have gone so far as to say, "We're not going to be getting any in at all; we don't carry that any more."  I've also had to give up on phoning around since, no matter how politely I phrase the question, I'm usually given a terse, "Out of stock!" and then swiftly hung up on.

The part that's really starting to bother me is that when these stores *are* getting new stock in, there are still people who are successfully buying two, three, four 360 units and then turning around to sell them on E*Bay.  I get that people recognize a hot commodity when they see it and are taking advantage of the situation, but when someone who was desperately seeking a 360 for themselves suddenly posts that they found not only one, but also five more they can sell for a profit, it's extremely frustrating.

Unless some kindhearted people decide to give up a potential profit in order to fill some of the Christmas wishes in Purge's thread, I don't have any hope of finding a 360 for a good long time. frown

-Autistic Angel
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 02:18:27 AM »

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/arekthorn/bounce.gif

Saw this on another forum. If it's real, it looks like no new shipments (at least at BB) until Dec. 18.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 02:19:23 AM »

Wow this sucks. As far as I know my friend's EB has not yet recieved any word on the next shipment.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 02:22:21 AM »

rrmorton is going to be extremely disappointed. Yes he already has his system, but we were hoping to paly PGR3 this weekend while both of us gorged on nachos.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 02:43:42 AM »

I really think that MS blew it bigtime by having all 3 launches so damn close to each other. There are reports out of the UK that most stores are only getting 1-2 units in for launch over there tomorrow.

Oh man, that's pretty crappy :/  At least we don't have it that bad over here.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 03:29:09 AM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/arekthorn/bounce.gif

Saw this on another forum. If it's real, it looks like no new shipments (at least at BB) until Dec. 18.

Based on what I've heard (as posted above), I'm gonna guess that this is completely true.

Way to go, Microsoft. This is exactly why you never, EVER do a worldwide release of any product that everybody wants. You get this total shitfest.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 03:29:42 AM »

At this point it's becoming harder for me to accept that there isn't more to this shortage than just the global launch spreading supply too thin.  There are a lot of talented people working for MS, and it's too hard for me to believe that they missed the boat on the demand projections from launch to 1/06.  Something must've happened on the manufacturing or supply chain side to impact the launches like this.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 03:51:08 AM »

And from the UK - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4488008.stm:

Dedicated gamers have started queuing for the long-awaited Xbox 360 which makes its debut in the UK at midnight.

Microsoft's machine is the first next generation games console to go on sale, ahead of those from Sony and Nintendo.

But retailers have warned that fans may be disappointed as most shops have already sold out of all their stock due to limited supplies.

Some gamers have been expressing their frustration at the expected shortage of Xbox 360s in online forums.

And now the 360 can be out of stock in another country. Whoopie?

depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 04:10:12 AM »

Microsoft FTW.  Seriously, there's such a high demand for your new console right now.  And you're only shooting yourself in the foot by not manufactoring enough units to satisfy your customers.

Bad move.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 04:29:17 AM »

Quote from: "Captain Caveman"
rrmorton is going to be extremely disappointed. Yes he already has his system, but we were hoping to paly PGR3 this weekend while both of us gorged on nachos.

NOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

This is gutwrenching! I was rooting for you to get one.

(Fortunately, I still have the nachos and the 360 and the place to myself all weekend. WHEEEE!)

I'm sick of this, Noah! Get one soon!
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 06:22:57 AM »

Yup,

Just for the hella, I stopped in at Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy tonight - and the concensus was (from a thoroughly disgusted bunch of staff people) that "they would know about new shipments when they arrived."  No advance knowledge, no hope, no news of forthcoming stock...

So "no news" is not good news.  :?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 01:57:54 PM »

Wal-mart got emails yesterday saying that next shipment is due in near Christmas.  So 3rd week sounds about right.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 02:19:38 PM »

I think it is a big plan by MS to keep demand for the 360 very very high not just through Christmas but until the PS3 comes out.  

They have a year (roughly) window where there is nothing to touch them so I believe they intend to keep demand high that whole time.  

Why?  Because they can and it will keep interest/press/hype high.  People will still be buzzing about the system.

If they didn't people would be buzzing about the games and that is a more unknown factor.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 02:24:11 PM »

Well, IF this is all true, then how was I supposed to know that the USA today was lying?

I'm sorry that people can't get it. I know that some of you are probabily jumping up and down in glee...but I am just sad for all the gamers that can't get an XBox 360 right now.

I am sure glad I have mine though (and I would have had one regardless of winning the contest, since I preordered in May and was #3 on the list at my Gamestop) and I am having a blast with it. I'm just sad more people can't experience this amazing system.

Bad move, MS. You need to focus on one area at a time. I hope Sony doesn't make the same mistake.

He admitted it!!!!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 02:48:37 PM »

Now if we could just get him to admit his intention to marry a carrot....

I think it is a big plan by MS to keep demand for the 360 very very high not just through Christmas but until the PS3 comes out.

That seems like an awfully risky plan to me.  The original X-Box was launched significantly after the PlayStation 2, and the more powerful hardware typically assured that multiplatform game looked and played better  on the X-Box.  It seems to me that this time around, Sony has a chance to reverse that trend by using the extra development time to ensure their system is more powerful and designer-friendly than the 360.

Microsoft's best strategy is to establish as large of an installed user base as they possibly can over the next year -- that's the whole point of being first on the scene.  The fact that the hardware shortages are severely limiting sales of the system makes me think that this situation is more the result of incompetence than some stroke of machiavellian brilliance.

-Autistic Angel
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 03:16:10 PM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
In addition to my listing in Purge's Seeking 360 List, I've been doing my own legwork to see if I can save someone else the trouble.  Despite scattered reports in my area that Wal*Mart and Best Buy have received their second shipments, I couldn't find one to save my life.  Some of the sales representatives have gone so far as to say, "We're not going to be getting any in at all; we don't carry that any more."  I've also had to give up on phoning around since, no matter how politely I phrase the question, I'm usually given a terse, "Out of stock!" and then swiftly hung up on.

The part that's really starting to bother me is that when these stores *are* getting new stock in, there are still people who are successfully buying two, three, four 360 units and then turning around to sell them on E*Bay.  I get that people recognize a hot commodity when they see it and are taking advantage of the situation, but when someone who was desperately seeking a 360 for themselves suddenly posts that they found not only one, but also five more they can sell for a profit, it's extremely frustrating.

Unless some kindhearted people decide to give up a potential profit in order to fill some of the Christmas wishes in Purge's thread, I don't have any hope of finding a 360 for a good long time. frown

-Autistic Angel

I'm right there with you AA.    I'm starting to actually get the rude treatment from retailers and customer service reps.   I'm also seeing people post that they found some and gobbled them up so they could overprice them on ebay.

It's sad and anger inducing at the same time.   I'm beating the trails trying to find one so my wife doesn't hae to agonize over my Christmas, but it's looking fruitless.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2005, 04:27:17 PM »

I dont have one, and I dont plan on buying one anytime soon.  But I have been following this sort of fiasco that has become this launch.  If this was a planned shortage, it doesnt seem to be having the affect they wanted.  It really, to me, just seems to be pissing people off.

Oh well.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2005, 04:36:41 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

God I hope not.  That would be spectacularly stupid.

gellar
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2005, 04:48:38 PM »

I was under the impression that MS loses about $125 on each console produced so wouldn't it make a little bit of sense to hold off on production until the game library is a bit increased.

Of course, MS has enough capital to not have to worry about this but it is a potential reason for why there is a shortage.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2005, 04:53:19 PM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
Now if we could just get him to admit his intention to marry a carrot....

-Autistic Angel

Thank you for getting my reference. smile

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2005, 04:54:10 PM »

I think it has more to do with the fact that MS is at the mercy of the big 3 working on this project.

Ati -- Makes the graphics chip and ram
IBM -- Makes the 3 Power PC cores
SiS -- works on some of the other chip components.
Company "X" puts the thing together and ships them
Then they enter the retail distribution chain
Retail distribution chain has to calculate where to allocate units and then ship them to the stores. ( I am sure that the distro has to be fair and equitable )

MS probably launched as soon as they had "X" units made versus waiting for a larger amount to be ready. This is in an effort to get them out to as many people prior to Christmas as possilbe.

They are also preparing for a Japan launch.

If they had waited until they had enough product for everyone they probably would have not launched until the middle of next year.

It also limits what is known as "inventory turns" If you can create, distribute, and sell all units in under 30 days you are not paying interest on the cash flow.

All these principles help to maximize profit while at the same time managing the overall cost of production.

People actually think the Microsoft is actually sitting their going "Muhhahahaha" look at the sheep suffer.

This is just a systemic issue that is a result of trying to maximize profit, low unit cost, and the distribution chain.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2005, 05:18:05 PM »

Here's an interesting quote in the newest IGN mailbag about the "weekly" deliveries MS promised:

The weekly deliveries are supposed to go to all retailers who took pre-orders, thus fulfilling all promised copies to customers who took the time to pre-order a copy back in the spring or summer. I am checking with EB regularly and they expect to hear from MS this week.

--Douglass

That might explain why some of the major retailers did not receive anything today.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2005, 05:30:05 PM »

That might explain why some of the major retailers did not receive anything today.

I am supposedly on the next shipment for a 360 from Gamestop (I already have one via Walmart, my preorder is going to my Brother-in-Law) and they told me they have received confirmation of no 360 shipments this week but they might get one next week.

Based on the Best Buy memo and other retail information I think MS's "we've shipped out the second shipment earlier this week" is a bunch of bunk.  It doesn't take this long for stores to turn around product, especially during the Christmas season.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2005, 06:55:57 PM »

*sigh*

:evil:

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2005, 07:21:38 PM »

Xbox 360 in stock!  :wink:
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2005, 07:34:04 PM »

I can't read that page! Damn my monolingual ass!

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2005, 07:34:55 PM »

Methinks they won't take my US credit card/billing information, as I have a friend who would love one.

And I call bullshit on the whole 'shipping product weekly' company line.

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2005, 07:44:50 PM »

It's a typo by one of the stenographer monkeys.  What Microsoft actually said was, "We're shipping product weakly."

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2005, 11:23:38 PM »

pre-emptive, shock'n'awe-filled first strike, deploying fewer units than expected, followed by major nelson declaring 'mission accomplished' (from the deck of an ipod)...

i'm not sure, but i think i know what happens next...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2005, 11:48:16 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
pre-emptive, shock'n'awe-filled first strike, deploying fewer units than expected, followed by major nelson declaring 'mission accomplished' (from the deck of an ipod)...

i'm not sure, but i think i know what happens next...

Insurgent nerds targeting local EB lineups?
Harry F. Ishnuts
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2005, 11:52:11 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
I can't read that page! Damn my monolingual ass!

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

-HFI-
gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2005, 12:19:52 AM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

They have a year (roughly) window where there is nothing to touch them so I believe they intend to keep demand high that whole time.  

Why?  Because they can and it will keep interest/press/hype high.  People will still be buzzing about the system.

If they didn't people would be buzzing about the games and that is a more unknown factor.

This doesnt make any sense though. Why would they purposely make it almost impossible to get their console until the PS3 arrives? I know that if I still am not able to get a 360 anywhere near the time that the PS3 launches, I'll just give up on the 360 and plan on trying to get a PS3.  And I'm sure that Sony will jump at the opportunity to get next-gen consoles in the hands of all those people who got screwed around with the 360 shortage.

I'm sure M$ wants to get as many of these consoles out BEFORE the PS3 launches to try and grab a large chunk of the market.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2005, 05:12:43 AM »

Here's an interesting quote in the newest IGN mailbag about the "weekly" deliveries MS promised:

The weekly deliveries are supposed to go to all retailers who took pre-orders, thus fulfilling all promised copies to customers who took the time to pre-order a copy back in the spring or summer. I am checking with EB regularly and they expect to hear from MS this week.

--Douglass

I don't know what that guy is smoking, but as a manager at a retailer who did a lot of pre-orders I can flat out say that is not the case.  We have gotten zero 360's since launch and the quantity shipped to us at the end of this week is absurdly tiny compared to our remaining reservations.  We're talking less than 2% of remaining reservations being filled next week.  Without being more specific, I can say that if our re-stock % was equal to our market share %, MS sent out less than 8,000 units this week.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: