http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 12:28:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Splosion Man 'splodes today!  (Read 2079 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2009, 06:37:18 AM »

So 'Splosion Man becomes available to download tomorrow, this is the first XBLA game I've been excited about in a while. Here is IGN's closing comment:

" 'Splosion Man is bursting with humor, personality, and classic platforming challenges. Not a moment goes by without seeing something new and exciting and 'Splosion Man himself is one of the most endearing new videogame characters of the year."

They scored it a 9.

I'll be downloading this first thing tomorrow morning, impressions to follow!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 08:42:03 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:58:43 PM »

Dumb name IMHO.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 04:40:20 PM »

downloaded this morning, played the first mission, and then bought it to play the next few.  i would have played more, but that whole 'work' thing got in the way.

so far, it's pretty interesting.  a combination speed run, puzzling platformer, and hunt for the secret item (nice nod btw).  the graphics are sharp and remind me of maw, portal, and team fortress 2, ie cartoony and bright with exaggerated proportions. 

it's not been too hard, but with 3 of 50 single player missions done, i'm not expecting them to be.  they are not overly long either, and the par times for each have been in the 90 second mark.  i think the best i have been able to do so far is over 3, but that's also skipping the secret item. 

i really liked the maw, even though it was fairly short, and still use the premium theme unlocked at completion.  i plan on changing it once i beat splosion man as i think it's a pretty cool unlock.  this also has avatar stuff, so i'm interested to see what that is. 

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 05:08:44 PM »

Downloaded this morning, can't wait to check it out after work.

What other game lets you explode scientists into small packages of deli meat.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 05:10:33 PM »

I was really looking forward to downloading this today, right up until last night when some asshat smoker burnt out the Internet lines in my neighborhood with a carelessly tossed cigarette.  icon_evil  Oh well...time to hit the backlog, just glad I downloaded Rocket Riot some weeks back.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 05:40:39 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 22, 2009, 01:58:43 PM

Dumb name IMHO.

Err, thanks Mr. NeoGAF.

Downloaded and starting, impressions soon...

Sean Lama
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 06:40:04 PM »

I can't wait to try this out, looks like a lot of fun!

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 06:40:39 PM »

Played through the first 5 levels, so far the game screams originality and creativity. The level design is clever and fun, 'Splosion Man himself is hilarious! I'm obviously not far into the levels but if these beginning levels are any indication, this might be the best platformer in a looong time  icon_biggrin

Sean Lama
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 06:41:38 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 22, 2009, 05:40:39 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on July 22, 2009, 01:58:43 PM

Dumb name IMHO.

Err, thanks Mr. NeoGAF.

Err...You're welcome.  But I have no idea what you are talking about.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 07:08:33 PM »

Grabbing this later today. I really enjoyed The Maw and this looks brilliant compared to that.

How are the controls? Is the jumping and platforming easy enough for a 7 year-old to play or is it heavy on the coordination?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 07:16:22 PM »

You people suck.  Stop using all the right words.  I have enough games to play as it is.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 07:29:18 PM »

Quote from: Simon on July 22, 2009, 07:08:33 PM

Grabbing this later today. I really enjoyed The Maw and this looks brilliant compared to that.

How are the controls? Is the jumping and platforming easy enough for a 7 year-old to play or is it heavy on the coordination?

not too bad, as long as he/she has got the notion to double jump and the like.  there seems to be a lot of that going on.
controls are tight and simple, from what i can tell.  run and bomb.  bomb acts like a jump, so you use it to bounce from wall to wall to get over obstacles.

Quote from: Ridah on July 22, 2009, 06:40:39 PM

Played through the first 5 levels, so far the game screams originality and creativity. The level design is clever and fun, 'Splosion Man himself is hilarious!

i like the animation when he runs.  it's like a kid running in the park after a long winter.  the gibberish they all speak adds to the game's charm.  glad they went that route instead of english.  gives them more reason to for good body language as a communication method.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »

Quote from: Simon on July 22, 2009, 07:08:33 PM

The controls are simple and very responsive, the platforming puzzles might be tough for a 7 year-old to figure out though. In one level, I died so many times the game offered me the coward's way out and skip the level  retard

Sean Lama
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 10:52:43 PM »

Bought the game and played some levels and co-op. Very fun and fast paced, reminds me of N+ quite a bit with the silliness and art style of The Maw. I can see the difficulty ramping up a lot by the end of 50 levels.

My son did pretty decent with the controls but yeah the platforming might be a bit too challenging for him. Still fun for him to mess around with though.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 04:16:03 PM »

the difficulty ramps up a bit after the first 5 or so.  i think i spent a good 10 minutes on 1-6 alone.  (one part where you fall into a pit to trigger a switch, then have to chain bomb jumps up to a platform while spike walls close in got me several times.)

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 05:20:37 PM »

I'm up to the 16th mission, still having a blast and loving the ingenuity of the level design. I'm just hoping eventually we get to some new types of environments.

Sean Lama
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 05:28:56 PM »

I liked the demo, I'll probably bite on this one!

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 07:07:44 PM »

How far have you guys gotten? I just got through level 2-9, which makes it the 25th level I believe. This shit is getting tough!  headbang3

Sean Lama
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 07:20:59 PM »

i think i am at 2-5 or so.  yeah, some of the levels are wicked hard while others i pass on the first attempt.  still no closer to target times though.  those are going to be madness. 

i like the achievement you get for blowing up a lot in a level. 

anybody unlock anything other than the first gamerpic?  i wonder how much stuff you get from this one.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 03:40:44 AM »

Yeah, I was so excited when I unlocked a gamer pic after the 5th level but have been disappointed that nothing else has unlocked.

Sean Lama
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 04:29:19 AM »

According to this thread, you can also unlock a second gamerpic, a premium theme, and avatar accessories.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 02:44:42 PM »

Giving this thread a bump to say that I really, really love this game. I liked the demo when I first tried it, but didn't get around to buying the full version until impulse struck a few days ago. I'm glad it did. There's just so much whimsical old school platform fun to be had here, but not in any of the frustrating kind of ways. Sure, things can get challenging, but the game does a great job with checkpoints and making you know what you have to do. I love that there are so many levels and that new elements keep getting introduced. My wife just started playing last night, and she even likes it-- that's saying a lot, because most modern games confuse and intimidate her. This one, though, is simple (it only uses one button!) and I think reminds her of the games she played growing up. We're going to try out the co-op soon.

I think this might be one of my favorite XBLA games to date. Totally a steal for $10.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 03:55:26 PM »

CC, any idea what the total playtime is? I passed on it (thus far) as well, but it keeps getting these raves, and I'm interested. Is it 2 hours? 5? or maybe even 10?
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 04:09:57 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on August 13, 2009, 03:55:26 PM

CC, any idea what the total playtime is? I passed on it (thus far) as well, but it keeps getting these raves, and I'm interested. Is it 2 hours? 5? or maybe even 10?

I've heard there are 50 single player levels, and I'm about half way through those. They each are given a "par time", usually between 1 and a half an 3 minutes, but it's ridiculously difficult to meet them (I don't think I've done so for a single one yet). Most levels after the first few take me about 5 minutes, sometimes as much as 10 or 12 if they are really challenging. I'd estimate it'll take me about 5 hours to get through them all. You can always play through them again in time trial mode which is fun for leaderboard comparisons.

There are also supposedly 50 different levels for co-op, but I haven't gotten to those yet.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 05:27:13 PM »

Thanks. 5 hours sounds good (though I'm not holding you to that). Plus maybe the co-op will extend it even further. I just didn't want to spend 800 pts on a 2 hour game with no replay value.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 05:34:50 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on August 13, 2009, 05:27:13 PM

Thanks. 5 hours sounds good (though I'm not holding you to that). Plus maybe the co-op will extend it even further. I just didn't want to spend 800 pts on a 2 hour game with no replay value.

You won't be wasting your money, I'm 2/3 of the way through and I've easily put at least 4 hours in so far. There's also a hidden cake in each level, if you attempt to find each of those it should extend the game even more.

I love the game, my only gripe is the atmosphere never really changes. You're in a lab the whole way through, and it does change slightly as you go from the first, second, and third set of stages but it's not dramatic like say, going from an arctic environment to a volcanic environment.

Sean Lama
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 05:43:14 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 13, 2009, 05:34:50 PM

Quote from: Jeff on August 13, 2009, 05:27:13 PM

You won't be wasting your money, I'm 2/3 of the way through and I've easily put at least 4 hours in so far. There's also a hidden cake in each level, if you attempt to find each of those it should extend the game even more.

I love the game, my only gripe is the atmosphere never really changes. You're in a lab the whole way through, and it does change slightly as you go from the first, second, and third set of stages but it's not dramatic like say, going from an arctic environment to a volcanic environment.

Ooh, arctic and volcanic environments? That's new.  What game does that?   icon_wink

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 08:22:13 PM »

I got the full version. You are right, it's fun, and addicting.

I was a little retarded at first with my jumping skills, but I'm getting the hang of it now. I'm still quite slow though, logging pitiful 7:30 times on the first 2 levels.

Question though, what does it mean when a blue panel pops up with the Splosion Man logo on it?

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 08:24:10 PM by Jeff » Logged
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 08:39:05 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on August 13, 2009, 08:22:13 PM

I got the full version. You are right, it's fun, and addicting.

I was a little retarded at first with my jumping skills, but I'm getting the hang of it now. I'm still quite slow though, logging pitiful 7:30 times on the first 2 levels.

Question though, what does it mean when a blue panel pops up with the Splosion Man logo on it?

Those are checkpoints.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2009, 09:02:28 PM »

ah, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: