http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 01:46:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Press Start"  (Read 1521 times)
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2009, 07:11:40 PM »

Ok, something I've always wondered. Why do console games almost always have you "press start" instead of just taking you to the menu that pressing start takes you to anyway? Especially odd considering there's nothing else to be done on the "press start" page.

What's the logic?
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 07:16:54 PM »

and WTH is up with games always having to select the memory device every time you boot it up? It shoudl remember.  Also, telling me that a symbol means it's saving and that I should not turn off my console should happen ONE TIME. Not EVERY TIME.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 07:18:48 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on August 11, 2009, 07:11:40 PM

Ok, something I've always wondered. Why do console games almost always have you "press start" instead of just taking you to the menu that pressing start takes you to anyway? Especially odd considering there's nothing else to be done on the "press start" page.

What's the logic?

I think it's some kind of holdout from the arcade origins of video gaming.  That title screen is more or less the attract mode, with a start button press taking the place of "insert coin."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 07:18:55 PM »

Why do so many games that say "press start" not actually require you to press Start? A, or X, or any other primary button works just as well as Start.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 07:22:35 PM »

Why can't we customize our own controls? And save anywhere? And get our consoles to eject pancakes when we are hungry?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 07:23:47 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on August 11, 2009, 07:16:54 PM

and WTH is up with games always having to select the memory device every time you boot it up? It shoudl remember.

Well it needs a memory device to remember, so how is it going to remember which device you picked before without a memory device yet?

LiveTAG: happydog
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 07:32:32 PM »

Quote from: happydog on August 11, 2009, 07:23:47 PM

and WTH is up with games always having to select the memory device every time you boot it up? It shoudl remember.
Well it needs a memory device to remember, so how is it going to remember which device you picked before without a memory device yet?

It should ping the HD that just about every single 360 owner owns, and then any attached memory cards. If it finds a save game there, it'll keep saving there from there on out without user intervention (but give us an option to change it). Ask the first time, yes - don't keep asking every time I start the damn game.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 07:34:32 PM »

I just don't see it being that hard to detect a hard drive or memory card and finding the appropriate file.  If more than one option is available it could search them all or the console could have a setting for you to define your main memory device.  For some reason it annoys the crap out of me as well.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 07:34:56 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 11, 2009, 07:32:32 PM

and WTH is up with games always having to select the memory device every time you boot it up? It should remember.

It should ping the HD that just about every single 360 owner owns, and then any attached memory cards. If it finds a save game there, it'll keep saving there from there on out without user intervention (but give us an option to change it). Ask the first time, yes - don't keep asking every time I start the damn game.

<cough> Ghostbusters <cough>  Irritating.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 07:48:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 11, 2009, 07:22:35 PM

Why can't we customize our own controls? And save anywhere? And get our consoles to eject pancakes when we are hungry?

All the posts up to this one were pretty cool and interesting.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 08:01:42 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on August 11, 2009, 07:48:51 PM

Thanks for the Criticism...

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 08:11:14 PM »

CK's volume over value method of posting often causes this effect in threads.  ninja
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 08:42:25 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 11, 2009, 08:01:42 PM

sounds like it's a good thing I have him on ignore.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 08:49:15 PM »

Console games make you press start so that the game knows which controller is the active one. It's a requirement for console development.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 08:53:33 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 11, 2009, 08:49:15 PM

Console games make you press start so that the game knows which controller is the active one. It's a requirement for console development.
What console is that?  On the 360, PS3, and Wii, I was under the impression player 1 was always the controller that has the #1 wireless spot.  On consoles prior to those, I thought player 1 was always the controller plugged into the leftmost controller port.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 08:54:43 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on August 11, 2009, 07:34:56 PM

Practically every game I've played has that issue on the 360, not just Ghostbusters. GB just asks a really goofy question every time you start the console up (along the lines of how you'll be overwriting your save games or something).

There you go, injecting logic and the truth into our topic.  icon_twisted Tongue

And wonderpug - it doesn't matter how many controllers you have up and running - it's looking for that one controller to push start so it knows it's the primary one.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 09:05:45 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 11, 2009, 08:53:33 PM

What console is that?  On the 360, PS3, and Wii, I was under the impression player 1 was always the controller that has the #1 wireless spot.  On consoles prior to those, I thought player 1 was always the controller plugged into the leftmost controller port.

I haven't actually tested this, but what I said was based on what a console developer mentioned when a PC port of a console game had the same behavior. He said it was a relic from the console version where they were required to do it to see which controller the player was using.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 09:37:40 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 11, 2009, 08:54:43 PM

Practically every game I've played has that issue on the 360, not just Ghostbusters. GB just asks a really goofy question every time you start the console up (along the lines of how you'll be overwriting your save games or something).

Right, Ghostbusters adds in that extra oddly frightening comment about overwriting that makes this more bothersome than normal. But in all honesty I don't recall the last 360 game I played that asked me over and over every time it started where my saves were. Typically it's one and done but I can change it later if desired. At least, that's what I'm remembering right now at work. Been playing a crapton of FO3 and it doesn't ask. icon_neutral

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 09:45:37 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on August 11, 2009, 09:37:40 PM

Right, Ghostbusters adds in that extra oddly frightening comment about overwriting that makes this more bothersome than normal. But in all honesty I don't recall the last 360 game I played that asked me over and over every time it started where my saves were. Typically it's one and done but I can change it later if desired. At least, that's what I'm remembering right now at work. Been playing a crapton of FO3 and it doesn't ask. icon_neutral

Guitar Hero World Tour asks every single time I fire it up, but then again what do you expect from a third rate Rock Band rip-off?  icon_twisted

Because I can,
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 02:44:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 11, 2009, 08:42:25 PM

Quote from: Razgon on August 11, 2009, 08:01:42 PM

sounds like it's a good thing I have him on ignore.

Ok. Explain this. I'm pretty sure the ignore functionality is turned off here. Unless you mean mentally. THen I get it. But if you mean forum functionality...how does one do this.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 03:01:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 11, 2009, 09:45:37 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on August 11, 2009, 09:37:40 PM

Guitar Hero World Tour asks every single time I fire it up, but then again what do you expect from a third rate Rock Band rip-off?  icon_twisted

Stop stirring the pot, CeeKay.  You know GHWT is second rate.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 03:50:22 PM »

My thought is they ask just in case you load it up and brought someone else's save file on a memory card or something.  Probably pretty rare, though.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 11:05:15 PM »

Why can't my game consoles Vulcan mind meld with me to know (a) I want to start to play, (b) the memory location I want to use, and (c) that I'm player #1. I mean heck, half the time I have a headphone thingy on head resting right next to my temple, why no Spock touch?  icon_twisted
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: