http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 08:45:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Disc Read Error" NOOO!!! [PS2]  (Read 3252 times)
ravenvii
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2004, 08:43:21 PM »

So, I bought my PS2 a couple of months after it was first released. And I had absolutely zero problems with it ever since... until now. I borrowed a copy of Mega Man X6 from a friend, and inserted it into my PS2... Disc Read Error. Okay, I thought, it's probably scratched or something. So I went back and tried it on his PS2... and it worked.

God damn it! My first disc read error... I hear stories about some PS2's that can only read DVD's or some such. frown frown frown Damn you, Sony.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 08:45:48 PM »

I went through two of them. Each lasted barely over a year. The second I traded in towards an Xbox when it first started to develop read errors.

I didn't bother with another one and don't think I ever will.

For the record, and to be unbiased, I am now on my second Xbox as well. The one I traded the PS2 for was actually the replacement for the original Xbox I had. The original unfortunately was one that came with the Thompson drive in it. The new one is a Samsung, and since I've had it for a year now, it's already outlasting both of the PS2's and the previous Xbox.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 09:16:55 PM »

Odd.  I've never had one problem with my PS2, but my XBox has been having read errors since almost day 1.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 09:38:03 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
Odd.  I've never had one problem with my PS2, but my XBox has been having read errors since almost day 1.

s

I don't see what's so odd about it. This type of error is very common on the PS2. Raven, if you're PS2 is out of warranty, I'd try cleaning it before running out and buying a replacement. I had the exact same problem where my PS2 stopped reading CDs first and then eventually stopped reading any disks at all. I just took it apart and cleaned the laser with a q-tip and it started working again. It's been over a year since I did this and my PS2 hasn't given me any problems since.

There are plenty of walkthroughs available on the web that provide step-by-step instructions on taking apart the PS2 and cleaning the head. You may also have to make adjustment to the laser as well, but it's a very straightforward process.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 10:14:04 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Quote from: "Sepiche"

s

I don't see what's so odd about it.

Well... basically I was saying it was odd because I haven't had any problems with my PS2, but have with my XBox... Tongue

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 03:27:56 AM »

My launch PS2 broke last year with the dreaded "Disc Read Error" BS. It started out having problems with one or two games, then it had trouble reading anything I put in.

Piece of junk.  :x

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 07:22:21 AM »

I have no idea if it works, but you might want to have a look at this.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 08:36:48 AM »

Sony is still fixing PS2s with "Disc Read Errors" for free - call their 1-800 number and they should give you an RMA number.  all you have to do is pay for shipping to them.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 11:27:04 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"

I'm not sure about that article but it looks similar to the one I used at Tweak3D.Net: link here.

I had to repair my PS2 using this guide and it cost me about $3.00 for a can of compressed air and abut 30 minutes.  Works great.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 12:08:30 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "EddieA"

I'm not sure about that article but it looks similar to the one I used at Tweak3D.Net: link here.

I had to repair my PS2 using this guide and it cost me about $3.00 for a can of compressed air and abut 30 minutes.  Works great.

That's a nice guide.  I've been lucky in that my PS2 is close to a launch model and still isn't giving me any problems.  I am really tempted to trade it in for the new PS2 revision though...I could use the extra space.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 03:25:26 PM »

The EB deal is over on Oct. 30, is not it? Hmm, maybe I should take this dying PS2 there, take the $100 credit and get a PSTwo?

Question is, how well does it play PS1 games? Cuz that's very important to me.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2004, 12:10:40 AM »

again:

The first remedy is to call Sony Helpline and get them to replace your PS2. This has met with a good degree of success even out of warranty - provided you haven't modded or opened up the the PS2 ! Sony were served  with a class-action lawsuit in USA due to the frequent nature of these Disc Read Error breakdowns. So it is in Sony's interest to repair systems for free.

this happened to a friend of mine - she called the 1-800 number and they repaired it for her for free.  no need to try to open it, or trade it in, or any of these other schemes....!
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2004, 02:46:35 AM »

Oh well, guess I'll hold on to it for now, and wait until it gets worse :p Currently it's only one game that's getting the read errors. The PS3 will come out eventually, and I'm hoping it'll be backwards compatible with the PS2 and PS1. If it is, excellent. If not, I'll buy the PSTwo.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2004, 08:25:55 PM »

Hey,

i just sent you an email about our trade (Mystic Quest, etc.), but then found this thread about your ps2.  i fix them and sell them to students in the college town i live in. if you still have problems, ask me about it.  if it's only doing a DRE on one color disc (especially if it's the blue ones), it's a really easy fix (just be extra, extra careful when taking the top off not to disconnect the ribbon that connects the top to the body at the right front corner).  go by the first guide suggested - i didn't look at the second one, it might be fine - and if you have any problems with a section of it, write me!  i would also suggest you not use a Q-tip to clean the lens, unless you have a kind that doesn't let  tiny, loose fibers fly around (if such a thing exist, i haven't found it) - i have an alternative that i always use that works great.

good luck,

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: